David Tennant Broadchurch Season 3 Episode 7

Performer of the Week: David Tennant

THE PERFORMER | David Tennant

THE SHOW | Broadchurch

THE EPISODE | “Episode 7” (Aug. 9, 2017)

THE PERFORMANCE | Remind us never to get on Alec Hardy’s bad side.

In Season 3’s penultimate hour, Tennant gave us our best sense yet of how the accumulated atrocities of the Axehampton rape case have weighed on the DI, resulting in an intolerance for dawdling depositions and lying louses. Take his second interview of Ed, whom he curtly counsels to “lay off the smart-ass replies,” or his disgusted disbelief when Ian cops to spying on his victimized wife. There was also Hardy and Miller’s confrontation of Cath’s husband about a curiously timed purchase of rubbers (“When did you use the condoms, Jim?”). In those grillings, Tennant made clear that the time is well past now to root out the serial rapist who most recently attacked Trish Winterman.

But it was Hardy in his duty as father that fueled Tennant’s most intense scene of the hour, when he impulsively (and quite publicly) confronted the lads who’ve been sexually harassing his daughter Daisy.

“You boys, you wee babies… you hurt my girl,” he started in (watch the scene here). “I deal with murderers, brutal thugs and sex offenders, and I win. I get the better of ’em. So don’t for a second imagine I will break a sweat getting you in line.”

Tennant’s intensity (as well as the texture of his Scottish accent) from there gloriously spiked, as Hardy put the little peckers on notice. “If you even talk about my daughter ever again, let alone do anything to make her unhappy, I will find you and I will cut your tiny little c-cks off,” he warned. When one brat questioned the lawman’s threatening stance, Hardy spat back, “I’m a father, and I will do whatever’s necessary to protect my daughter.” And you bloody believed him.

HONORABLE MENTION | We hereby nominate Alyssa Milano for Queen of Camp. In Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later, she rocked The Hand That Rocks the Cradle, playing both nanny Renata’s (fake) sweetness and (real) evil with the kind of “commitment” rarely seen outside of a mental institution. Especially in “King of Camp,” the actress slayed us, her doe eyes widening like a Disney heroine’s as Renata explained away an overheard conversation about when to “kill the baby,” then demonstrated a cake-cutting technique that hilariously resembled a throat-slitting. And, naturally, she nailed the pièce de résistance: the moment in which Renata gleefully revealed to McKinley that she was, just as he suspected, a “blood-thirsty, murderous, bitch-ass psycho.” Crazy good stuff.

HONORABLE MENTION | We’ve got to give Power‘s Dre credit: Who would’ve guessed a few seasons ago that Ghost’s seemingly chill right-hand man was such a power-hungry backstabber? Portrayer Rotimi deserves all the credit for selling the quiet, observant Dre’s metamorphosis into a lying, twisting, disloyal hustler bent on building himself into a giant. Rotimi’s been laying the groundwork all season, making Dre bolder and harder as the character plays Tommy and Kanan off each other. But in Sunday’s episode, when Dre didn’t even blink while lying to his boss about Kanan being alive, then led Tommy straight to the scene of a murder Dre orchestrated (!) but pretended to have just stumbled upon, we marveled again at how subtle and consistent Rotimi has been in changing his character by grades, making his increased desire for status all the more believable (and hella scary).

HONORABLE MENTION | We had a sense that The Night Shift‘s special episode written, directed and in part acted by military veterans would offer some moving performances, and Wonder Years alum Dan Lauria‘s rose to the top. Guest-starring as Doug Stratton, a Marine Corps vet convinced that his interminable depression is the result of long-embedded shrapnel, Lauria — especially during a mid-CAT scan breakdown — kept us guessing as to whether his character had been driven beyond sanity. But Lauria most tugged at heartstrings when Doug began to find a clarity,  his face (and deep-seated guilt) lightening up, after Paul, Shannon and Scott arranged for other POWs to testify to the important role he played in their survival.

Which performance knocked your socks off this week? Tell us in Comments!

1. kirads09 says:

Tennant. Yes – thank you. 100%

2. flowerduh says:

I’m glad to see Dre (Rotimi) get some recognition; because he deserves a lot! The he portrays Dre is phenomenal!

3. Martin says:

Yes! for Dan Lauria. I remember watching the episode thinking that hehas to get an honorable mention and I’m glad he did. That whole episode at times and especially him…really brought the feels

• Jennifer says:

What I didn’t realize (or know) was that he was a Marine. God Bless. He was fantastic in that episode. Kudos to The Night Shift for that very moving episode. (Who was Timothy Busfield in the episode? I saw his name in the list of actual vets at the end, and again, didn’t realize he was a veteran as well)

4. knd24 says:

100% Tennant knocked it out of the park as he does with everything.

5. Donna Salvi says:

I wish Broadchurch wasn’t ending. It’s an exceptional show.

6. Ali says:

Could not agree more with David Tennant. He is amazing in this series.

7. Brian says:

Glad to see Rotimi getting a shout out. Good actor. He was also good on that underrated Starz show Boss.

8. Joey Padron says:

Happy Dan Lauria got honorable mention. He did great in the new episode of The Night Shift.

9. MMD says:

Thrilled about David Tennant. He and Olivia Coleman were awesome in this series and I was so sorry to say goodbye to the community of Broadchurch. He always raIses the quality of anything he is in.

I so want to wake up sounding like him. (only female)

10. Marilyn Painter says:

tennant, good in anything. Especially poignant was the scene with the young men protecting his daughter

11. matraupach says:

The performer of the week was definitely Drogon ;)

12. Karen says:

Completely agree about David Tennant. He’s an amazing actor, and he absolutely owned that scene.

13. Charlene Ofstedahl says:

Love David Tennant and Broadchurch. I hate that the series is ending. I also love Power.Rotimi is so good in it. But I think the whole cast is wonderful.

14. Charlene Ofstedahl says:

15. HTGAWMFan says:

Emilia Clarke, Game of Thrones anyone?

16. TV Gord says:

It has been so long since the Broadchurch finale aired in Canada, I will have to go back and watch it (DT is always stellar, though!), but Dan Lauria was definitely a standout this week! Both actors are always brilliant.

17. fiberlicious says:

I love Night Shift, and Luria’s performance was gripping.

18. LAwoman says:

David Tennant has become one of my favorite actors. I need to see more of him now that Broadchurch is ending. I will really miss Hardy and Miller.

19. Me34 says:

Come on. You could’ve pointed out anyone from the terrific cast of Broadchurch but Tennant. He’s not only awful in this, but he’s a terrible actor overal.

• SU says:

Funny, that’s your opinion. Mine is, he did a tremendous job, and having seen him in other shows and movies, find him to be an excellent and great actor. He has been fantastic in Broadchurch. I will iss the show and especially David Tennant.

• maggie says:

Tennant is a great actor. He has a wide range, playing intense in Broadchurch, charming and eccentric in Doctor Who, and evil in Jessica Jones. He was also wonderful as the younger version of Peter O’Toole in Cassanova.

• TV Gord says:

…which, of course, tells us more about you than it does about David Tennant. :-) Bless your heart (in my most unctuous Star Jones impersonation).

20. ks says:

Katie Stevens deserved to be recognized for the Bold Type.

21. Sandy says:

Excellent choice for PotW! Allons-y!!! (Yeah. I know. Different show, but same actor)

22. Imagecrafters says:

David Tennant does not disappoint…Ever! Fabulous episode!

23. arial2 says:

Glad to see David Tennant getting recognition here. The show has been wonderful this season. He, Olivia Colman, Jodie Whitaker and Julie Hesmondhaigh did great work in this, the final season. (how many shows have two Dr. Whos in every episode? :D )

24. Darsan54 says:

I want to be a father like that.

25. Curtis Duke says:

I re-imagine that scene with Scrooge McDuck dressing down the Beagle Boys because they threatened Webby.

26. kathy finnegan says:

David Tennant is amazing! I only wish this wasn’t the series finale!! Why does this always happen to great shows?

27. Luli says:

Tatiana maslany!!!!!

28. Liz says:

Always freaks me out when I see an article on Broadchurch. Being a fortunate Canadian, I saw this series months ago. So when I see an article about it I always think I am missing a new season. Phew. Totally agree David Tennant is awesome in pretty much everything.

29. mary says:

I love a Scottish accent. I love David Tennant even more. I am sad there will be no more Broadchurch, & will miss the banter between Hardy & Miller.