Exclusive

NBC Boss on Frasier Revival: There Have Been 'Conversations' (But... )

NBC has a hankering for another serving of tossed salad and scrambled eggs.

Peacock Chairman Robert Greenblatt, the man responsible for the network’s Will & Grace renaissance, tells TVLine that he is very much interested in a Frasier revival. However, there are a number of roadblocks impeding a potential return to Seattle.

“I’ve had conversations with [exec producer] David Lee about [Frasier],” Greenblatt reveals of the Emmy-winning sitcom, which ended its 11-season run in 2004. “Frasier would be great. I’d love to [bring back] Frasier. We put out feelers about [it] over the years.” (Warning, there’s a “but” coming… ) “But I don’t think there’s any real interest,” the exec admitted. “I think everyone’s moved on.”

Another likely factor in the original gang’s reluctance to stage a comeback: The tragic death of David Angell, who co-created the Kelsey Grammer-fronted Cheers spinoff with Lee and Peter Casey. Angell and his wife Lynn died in the September 11 attacks. “I don’t think [David and Peter] want to do it again without him,” notes Greenblatt.

Greenblatt, meanwhile, says he also wants to go to there (aka 30 Rock) again. “I’ve talk to Tina Fey about it over the years,” he reveals. “It’s not inconceivable that she could wake up one day and go, ‘I could tell some more 30 Rock stories.’ That’s something I would want to do.”

1. webly3 says:

Please do not revive it. Too many revivals! It’s good the way it is.

• flowerduh says:

THANK YOU!!!!

• flowerduh says:

Besides, I doubt if Kelsey Grammer would go for it. When Frasier ended he was playing the same character for over a decade. I don’t think he’s ready to go back into that role again. And It would have to be for big stacks of money for him to revive the role. I don’t think NBC is going to shell out that type of money.

• Jennifer says:

More like 2 decades. Didn’t he play Fraiser for a total of 20 years?

• iHeart says:

22 actually unless he wasn’t part of the cast of Cheers in the first year

• Angela says:

@IHeart: He was not part of “Cheers” when it first began, no-he came in in 1984. And “Frasier” ended in 2004. So it was 20 years exactly. They even made a joke about that on a “Frasier” episode once.

• iHeart says:

@angela thank you didn’t know that I didn’t really watch either show but I pay attention to stuff somehow, thank you for correcting me

• Patrick says:

Grammer pitched a new show featuring the Frasier character to CBS within 2 years of this show ending. The cast just doesn’t want to risk tarnishing the legacy of excellence that they established.

2. Big Mike says:

NEW. IDEAS. PLEASE.

• Syl says:

The generation in charge is bereft of new ideas. If they can’t find it in their devices, it will never see the light of day. Thank goodness for British TV.

• Ray says:

Any recommendations on good British shows?

• Aimee says:

Depends on what you are looking for. If it’s comedy – The IT Crowd is an absolute must! Extras is OK and of course there is the original, British version of The Office. I also recommend some of the older shows – Faulty Towers, Black Books, As Time Goes By. A lot of these can be found on Netflix or other streaming services.

If it’s drama I say just pick any. It’s a sure bet you are going to find some good ones. They are particularly great with murder mysteries. They put most of the American shows to shame. The Fall and Luthor are outstanding. Prime Suspect is great. Peaky Blinders, Foyls War, Endevor, Call the Midwife (not a mystery but a good show.)

• Ashley says:

If you have Netflix, Midsomer Murders is good, it’s a Detective drama with about 19 series (seasons) and series 20 started this year. If you like cooking shows, there’s The Great British Baking Show. Doc Martin is another good one, a comedy, that you might want to check out. It’s on Netflix as well. Those are the 3 that I really enjoy and you might too.

• Aimee says:

Ah! Doc Martin! How could I have forgotten that. Yes, definitely check that out! Another murder mystery show I’ve just discovered is Shetland (named for the islands). The characters are great but I mostly watch it for the scenery. It is beautiful.

• Ashley says:

Aimee, thanks for suggesting Shetland, I’ll check it out! I agree the scenery is definitely beautiful.

• Steve 2 says:

Death In Paradise. Detective show set in the Caribbean. Not terribly gruesome but pretty watchable. It’s on Netflix Canada at least. BBC America maybe?

• Steve 2 says:

Also New Tricks. Retired Cops brought back to help solve cold cases. 11 or 12 series.

• Syl says:

Downton Abbey, Murdoch Mysteries, DCI Banks, A Place To Call Home, Grantchester, Midsomer Murders, Agatha Raisin, Inspector Lewis, Poldark, Victoria, the list is extensive. Just go to PBS online and it’s pretty much all there.

3. kmw says:

I loved Frasier but come on Even if I wasn’t sick of the reboot craze going on , this makes no sense especially since it seems all the actors are on to other things and some are very busy. Enough!!!. Try finding a NEW comedy and not rehash an old one

• suzi says:

A Frasier reboot would be the only one of the many, many reboots planned that I would watch, but I agree–enough is enough. New ideas, please.

4. Jennifer says:

Seriously, are there NO NEW IDEAS in Hollywood?!?! Stop with all the reboots / revivals / updates to older characters – it’s too much. We need new ideas. Not rehashes of old.

5. zimdog says:

“Always leave them wanting more.” P.T. Barnum

6. We got 9 years of Frasier in Boston and 11 years of Frasier in Seattle. If they brought it back, it should be Frasier in another city with a new cast of people around him.

• davidztaylor says:

That’s not a bad idea at all. Then at least the characters could show up now and then. Hmmm, what would Frasier be doing today? Podcasts? Author? Would be interesting to see the character of Fredrick grown up. Daphne and Niles had one baby. Maybe more after we left them. Their baby would be a teenager now. Wonder if she’s psychic too? lol

• fightfan3 says:

Didn’t Frasier end with him catching a flight to Chicago to go after Laura Linney’s character? If I’m remembering correctly, they could set it there. Not sure if Laura Linney would be available or want to work a large TV schedule since she is on another show currently (Ozark) and seems to make 2+ movies a year (i.e. not sure how she would have the time to do it).

7. iHeart says:

I don’t know, Kelsey Grammer hasn’t had the best luck post-Frasier, I mean most of his shows (with the exception of Boss) have ended up failing (with Hank being cancelled after 2 episodes, and this was when ABC launched their new Comedy lineup)

• Jules says:

Honestly, Starz should bring back “Boss”. That show was highly under-rated and SO good!!!!

• Venessa Walker says:

I agree, the BEST FAMILY PROGRAM ON TV, , LETS KEEP AMERICAN TELEVISION ALIVE, A LITTLE LONGER BEFORE WE GO ALL OVER SOMEWHERE ELSE.

• Patti says:

His most recent show- The Last Tycoon- on Amazon is doing really well. It is an excellent show and his role is wonderful.

8. AngelWasHere says:

Loved Frasier, but it had its time. Leave it alone.

9. Shar says:

Can the networks just go back to what they used to do.. steal from British television? There’s a reason some of these shows went off the air and yes, I mean Will & Grace.

10. Annie says:

PLEASE be creative. Don’t do the old stuff again. Think of something new, even if the new show were set at a radio station.

11. Regina George says:

At this rate, this will be NBC’s Thursday night lineup next season:

Friends
    Will and Grace
    Frasier
    Seinfeld
    ER

12. David says:

Frazier is one of my favorites of all time. I would love to see it. And it could be in a different city. We last saw Kelsey flying to Chicago following after Laura Linney. It could happen with the right story line. However, it does seem that all the actors are involved in other pursuits. Maybe a couple of 2 hour follow-up movies could be arranged–just for the fun of it.

13. I wouldn’t mind a show about Niles and Daphne with their son David with Frasier making an occasional guest starring appearance. It would be an interesting dynamic to see Niles trying to give his son culture and class but David turns out being like Marty, who loves sports and stuff.

14. Roe says:

Cheers is a classic!! Best show ever…no need for a comeback!!

15. Nan says:

Hmmm….with all these revivals what do we need current shows for then…just bring back all the old shows from let’s say anywhere from the 80’s-2000’s. Let’s bring back CSI: Miami..I miss that show. How about CSI:NY I miss that one too. There is a reason why these shows went off the air in the first place…they ran their course…is Hollywood so devoid of new ideas…why do these folks make so much money then….get real..

16. Jan1987 says:

They should do a Becker revival. The CBS Sitcom with Ted Danson was the Best. It was cancelled too soon.

17. Brock Hard says:

WTF?? Is NBC just going to revive every hit show they’ve had in the last 20 years? Will and Grace, West Wing, Frasier, etc. Here’s an idea, come up with some thing new and fresh. I know, that’s hard for network execs, but that’s why they make the big bucks.

• TheDuck0 says:

“Is NBC just going to revive every hit show they’ve had in the last 20 years?”

I tend to think they’d bring back The Cosby Show if they thought they could get away with it…

18. Cheryl says:

No, no, and again, no! Seriously, enough with all the revivals! I loved watching Frasier and absolutely adored 30 Rock. But don’t go ruining them by trying to force some type of reunion or revival. Let them live on in our good memories and perpetual syndication.

19. MzTeaze says:

Just say no to these revivals. I loved Frasier & regular watch the reruns but please leave it alone.

20. Angela says:

“Frasier” is one of my all-time favorite TV shows, and if the people involved ever did want to do a reunion, be it a one-off or a limited episode thing or whatever, I’d definitely watch it, ’cause it would be nice to see them all together again, and it’d be interesting to see how everyone’s doing in this day and age.
    But ultimately, I totally understand everyone’s reasons for holding off on such a thing. Unlike shows like “Roseanne” and “Will & Grace”, “Frasier” ended on a pretty quiet, happy note, so it’s not like there’s really much they’d need to fix or any loose ends to tie up or whatever. And the cast still seems close enough to where they’ve worked and hung out together in other respects (I know some of the cast showed up on “Hot in Cleveland”, for instance, which Leeves was on), so I can see where they’d feel an official “Frasier” show reunion is unnecessary in that regard, too.
    Plus, like others are saying here, as nice as some of these reunions are, the networks should be careful about going into reunion overload. Let’s try and keep the focus on creating new stuff, too.

21. AngieD says:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Frasier back on air, but it would have to be the right idea. When Frasier went off the air, he was moving to Chicago. So, is he in Chicago with Charley or did they break up? Did the rest of the family stay in Seattle? What about his son Frederick and his mother Lilith? There’s different ways revive Frasier, but it doesn’t have to be with the same supporting characters and I wouldn’t want it to be the same as the original shows. I do admit that it would hard to create the same magical chemistry in the casting and they shouldn’t revive the show unless they are confident in the casting being perfect (i.e. replacing Lisa Kudrow with Peri Gilpin as Roz.)

22. xwiseguyx says:

I would rather see more new live audience comedies. It’s amazing that NBC hasn’t been able to come up with a single new one come this fall… Those are what makes for Must See TV…

23. davidztaylor says:

I’m kinda surprised at the negativity towards the idea by the commenters here so far. I think maybe, let’s wait and see how it goes with Roseanne and WIll and Grace. But I know for sure I would watch it. I can’t see anything wrong with catching up with old friends. Man, you all must have lonely Christmases. Once someone is out of your life— that’s it huh? lol. I know one show we won’t be seeing— Cosby. So, there’s that.

• Syl says:

The problem is that it won’t have the same writers. The kids in the writing pool these days have no idea how to make something funny unless it’s vulgar, edgy, provocative or all three. That’s why we get garbage like 2 Broke Girls.

24. Marie58 says:

Frasier was a perfect show. Precious few of those. Leave it be.

25. Caroline says:

No, I actually like proper endings and closure. That all goes away when they even have to change the original endings like in some revivals now. Like I’m perfectly happy enjoying things for what they were.

26. ashleytwo says:

Maybe a revival special I could get behind, but a whole show would just be a bit much. I loved the show, but it ended in a good note and let’s leave it at that.

Plus there is no way they could have Eddie still be alive and that’s just a depressing thought bringing it back as is.

(Another depressing thought; Frederick would be nearing 30 now right?)

27. Donna says:

I would love love love a Frasier revival! Count me in.

28. Agent 86 says:

I wish NBC had this much enthusiasm for their reboot of Xena: Warrior Princess which has been stuck in development h3ll for over two years since it was first announced. One would think that Wonder Woman making $400 million at the US box office would pique their interest in reviving their own warrior princess and her Amazon sidekick!

29. Wanda Stone says:

Why not take a poll? Let the people decide. One of my ALL TIME FAVORITE shows. Been watching the re runs on Netflix for over a year now. I personally would LOVE it.

30. Patti says:

A girl can dream. Would love a 2 hour movie with lots of happy endings!

31. Ben says:

I would love to see what they’ve been up to since the series finale, but there are too many revivals right now, maybe in a couple of years when the craze has died down.

32. Ritchie says:

How about they bring back CHUCK instead?

33. Jennifer says:

Well, come to think of it … if Frazier is now in Chicago, wouldn’t it REALLY fit in with NBC now … it could be Chicago Radio or Chicago Morning Show. Wait … am I giving them too many ideas?

34. Eurydice says:

How is this a story? NBC isn’t interested in a revival, only Greenblatt, and he says nobody else cares.

35. Venessa Walker says:

All i do is look at reruns of Frasier, over, and over, and over, untill i can tell you line per line. If you could go into my Netflix , you would see just how much not to mention my television, over and over, please bring them back, i know it will be a hit all over again we love Kelsey Grammer and all the gang. You did a questionnaire not long ago, i asked if i could meet him but i never heard back, but im a faith beliver that what YAH’ HAS FOR ME IS FOR ME. I WISH KELSEY AND FAMILY ALL THE BEST. IN CHRIST’.

36. Venessa Walker says:

WE CARE!!!!!!!!!!!.

37. CJC says:

Please bring Frasier back! It was the best spin off series ever and it would be a success!

38. Television says:

Fraiser was a really great show, but if shows get cancelled back when they were originally on air, why do they wait a few years and then put them back on? So why was it cancelled in the first place if now they want it on the air?

39. James says:

They could consider just doing a feature length episode. A catch up on what they’re doing now. Frederick would be 27(?), Daphne and Niles’ son would be about 13. It would be hilarious to see the state of Martin’s chair which would also be nearly 20 years old. I wonder if Roz ever settled down, Alice would be about 18. As Frasier moved to California (?) In the last season they could have it as a family reunion type event. Not worth reviving the whole series as it was perfect as it was.

40. Mark says:

I always thought that a spin off show featuring just Frasier and Roz would be great. Its a shame nothing more was made of their one night stand. I think they’re a great couple. There’s no chance of this though never mind a Frasier revival.

41. Audrey says:

We NEED more Frasier!!! It’d be Great to see a revival :-)

42. Audrey says:

Re runs are great but let’s see em NOW!

43. LMF says:

don’t do it. It was a great show, I loved it but it was the complete ensemble that made the show, Niles, the dad, assistant etc even Eddie..dont try to fix whats not broke.

44. william says:

NO. Don’t do a Frasier revival. It ended perfectly. BUT….if they revive it, wouldn’t it be based in Chicago, since Frasier took off after the love of his life?

45. Norman rosen says:

Fraiser has been done. Wouldn’t be the same .