Wayward Pines Still Not Cancelled

Fox isn’t pulling out of Wayward Pines just yet.

Network president David Madden told reporters Tuesday at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour that the jury is still out on a third season of M. Night Shyamalan’s supernatural drama. “We don’t know yet,” he said. “M. Night has talked to both [Fox CEO] Dana [Walden] and me recently about the possibilities of what a third season could be. So we’re going to be sitting down with him probably in the next week or two, talking about his thoughts and potential story ideas, casting ideas. So we haven’t made any kind of decision yet, but we are talking about it.”

In Season 2, Wayward Pines averaged 2.4 million total viewers and a 0.7 demo rating in Live+Same Day ratings, versus its freshman run’s 3.8 mil/1.1. Earlier this year, Walden said she was waiting for a more complete ratings picture before ruling on the series’ fate. “We don’t know yet what we’re going to find when the multi-platform numbers roll up, ultimately how big that audience [can be],” Walden said, before noting that Wayward Season 2 ranked as Summer 2016’s “No. 1 scripted show.”

1. Brian says:

If Shyamalan and Fox want to do another series, cool. Do something other than the mess Wayward Pines has become instead.

• Rob Wally says:

OK, These lies about the show being of no worth and the 2nd season being a mess, sounds prescripted so much that someomeone actually seems to be so ignorant about t.v. and more into a really stupid blog setting of IDONT KNOW WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT! Hackers not allowed i real world opinions.This show is genius.Nothing less.

2. qriffic says:

And they thought giving it a summer off would… help? Shhh, don’t tell Fox, but I think it’s cancelled.

3. T.W.S.S. says:

This is a show that was billed as an “event series” (read miniseries) in 2015. Yet it’s still on the air two years later?

4. In order for the series to thrive, it needs to take what has come before and use it to build on it. How about role reversal? Whereas before the humans from the past were the insiders who lived in their replica of an old American town who had to fend against the Abbies from the outside, why not make them the outsiders trying to get what they need from the Abbies?

Send them to live in caves or whatever. Destroy their tech so they cannot go to sleep again, and have to deal with surviving in the new world.

5. Wrstlgirl says:

Let it go.

6. james says:

I think they kind of missed their chance. Season 1 was amazing, but there was so much filming between the two seasons and they lost so many important actors, that it just became a different show almost. (And not nearly as good of one)

7. kat0711 says:

I still can’t believe they killed off Matt Dillion so soon. That was pretty much it for me. Season 2 was just ok but he was the star.

• Carol_R says:

I liked Matt Dillon a lot in season 1 and don’t get why they killed him off, but I think that I liked Season 2 overall better than season one because of the other characters that it focused on.

• Lynette Butterfield says:

They followed the book. Matt Dillion’s character dies in the book.

8. Julia says:

I actually found season 2 more interesting than season 1. Bring it back for at least one more season. It’s different & strange which makes it fun to watch.

9. Anne says:

They cancel Rosewood but keep this?!?!?

10. Kira says:

FFS! Pitch had better ratings in a tougher fall timeslot, and it was axed, but this show still hasn’t been canceled. Fox truly doesn’t want people watching their network, do they?

11. V.J. says:

There was a season 2? Oo
    I remember faintly that I watched it back in the stone age or something like that, but I didn´t realize it continued… ähm… well, should I watch s2?

12. jr. says:

Yay! If the Wayward Pine’s guardian, who sleeps and awakes every hundred years or so,, woke up once and found a man from the past. The Wayward Pines guardian would discover this man, was also a ‘guardian’ from another Wayward Pines type project. This project, could have had the human race having built a huge space station. One in which they loaded it with hundreds of humans ( and put them into suspended animation ), complete with all sorts of future technology ( cause this would have been built way after Wayward Pines ). To the space station people, Wayward Pines was just a fable, they did not know where and if it existed. So the space station guardian, comes looking for Wayward Pines, when he awoke up there to see if earth was habitable now. So are Wayward Pines guardian awakens the towns people, and he goes up to the huge space station. Awakens some of them. Uses the massive station as their off base Wayward Pines. And with their advance technology tries to rebuild and retake control of Earth.

13. Donna Book says:

i still want at least and ending we deserive that much.. it still had good rantings. this is the reason why people have switched from network tv.and are watching Netflix and hbo.because when ever there is programs we like they arr canceld

14. Jared says:

Season 2 was awful. I’d much rather see them collaborate on a totally new project.

15. Emor says:

I absolutely think there is ONE more season in this story. Really put the story to bed in season 3 and we all go home satisfied. I’m In!

• lppteso says:

Imo, Season 1 was amazing, Season 2 not so much (especially since they killed off a couple of the main characters), even though we got answers to many questions left unanswered on S1. Not saying that S2 was bad, either, I liked it well enough, and the new actors/characters added a lot to the overall story and awkwardness sourrounding WP at all times, that make it so fun to watch. Now, add to that the most amazing cliffhanger I’ve seen since Capt.Picard became Locutus of Borg back in 1990 and… oh, yesss, please bring back WP for a 3rd season, give us a proper closure to the Abbies plot and the events leading to that amazing season finale!!

16. Just let it die already

17. RedReddington says:

I really hope they decide to do a season 3. I really enjoyed the first 2 seasons..especially for a summer show.

18. Big Cheddar says:

Season 2 took way too long to get interesting. If they get a season 3, every week needs to be action packed and thrilling.

19. Television says:

That is pretty cool. I liked this show, just hope they continue but don’t go too crazy.

20. K says:

I liked both season 1 & 2. It was a summer show that i looked forward to. Kinda broke up all of the replays & boredom of the summer line ups. Bring it back….please!

21. Lynette Butterfield says:

Favorite book series. Now my favorite tv series! I hope there is a 3rd Season!!

22. Angel says:

I am patiently waiting it’s return.

23. Ex-fox- viewer says:

Its an amazing show. They should at the very least give it a proper ending. Ive been waiting for it to come back. Rarely do i search for when/if a show is returning ao that in and of itslef is significant….for me at least;) I swear if this show doesnt come back im gonna give up on Fox series’s. This would be the third show they sucked me in to only to cancel it without any closure. They end the season on a cliffhanger and then it never comes back. I mean if the Network cant follow through on its commitments (implied or otherwise) to its viewers then why should i commit to watching their networks? You are disappointing me and 2-3 million other viewers…..again! Apparently these things just aren’t important to Fox…

24. Diane Nelson says:

I really hope they come back with season 3. I was glued to my seat with this show. All the fans should send a letter to the show telling them we want to see more. The story isn’t over yet.. I want to see what happens next