Emmys
Emmys 2017 Comedy Series Nominees

Emmys 2017 Poll: What Should Win Outstanding Comedy Series?

Will the incumbent win another term in the Emmys’ Comedy Series category… or will an upstart challenger seize the title?

This year’s seven nominees are led by HBO’s savage political satire Veep, which has taken home the Comedy Series crown the past two years. (And Selina Meyer’s post-presidential antics were just as hilarious and foul-mouthed as ever in Season 6.) But it’s facing some stiff competition from FX’s buzzy freshman entry Atlanta, starring Donald Glover as an aspiring hip-hop manager, which scored the Golden Globe for Best Comedy Series back in January.

The other names in the field are all returning nominees, including Aziz Ansari’s Netflix rom-com Master of None (one prior nomination), ABC’s family comedy black-ish (one prior nomination), HBO’s tech-geek chronicle Silicon Valley (three prior nominations) and Netflix’s cheery fish-out-of-water tale Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt (two prior nominations).

Last but certainly not least, there’s the sleeping giant that is ABC’s Modern Family, back in the Comedy Series hunt for a seventh time. Family racked up five consecutive wins in this category from 2010-14, but hasn’t grasped gold the past two seasons. Emmy observers, though, know better than to completely count out the Dunphy/Pritchett clan.

Veep‘s bid for reelection is a strong one… but who should take home the trophy on Sunday, Sept. 17? Vote for your favorite in the poll below, then hit the comments to defend your pick.

Every day for the next three weeks, we’ll be posting another “Who should win?” poll, so visit TVLine.com each day to weigh in on who deserves TV’s most prestigious honor. (For a complete list of this year’s nominees, click here.)

1. Oran says:

Black-ish should win, But Atlanta will win.
    I still can’t understand why Modern Family keeps getting nominated.

2. Judith Armstrong says:

Black-ish should win, but Veep will win again. Black-ish is consistently funny and the entire cast has amazing chemistry. And it would be nice to see a network show win something, since cable/streaming will win every other award.

3. Susannah says:

Usually I’d pick Veep in this category but I don’t think this season was as strong as ones in the past. I really enjoyed Blackish this season and hope it’s able to beat some very worthy competition (Atlanta especially) to win the comedy Emmy this year.

4. MrMank says:

I’ve been catching up on a lot of dramas and limited series to prepare for this year (I run an Emmy contest every year), but comedies I am far behind on. Just binged Atlanta, and am trying to get through both seasons of Master Of None, but beyond that I’m in the dark. Wasn’t sure, in the early episodes, how I felt about Atlanta, particularly as a comedy. But the writing, the acting…all absolutely top notch. It’s not a knee slapper, but I found myself LOL at some really unexpected moments. That one has my vote for right now.

5. Nick says:

There are too many good comedies on TV to keep getting such terrible nominees.

6. LMP says:

It’s likely between black-ish, Atlanta, and Master of None. Kimmy Schmidt also had a great season. But why on earth is Modern Family still being nominated? It’s nowhere near as funny as it used to be, and there are so many shows that deserve that slot more *cough*thegoodplace*cough*

7. Ingmar says:

Atlanta will win unfortunately, while either Veep, or Black-ish should win.

8. I love Subway says:

Atlanta should, Veep will

9. Hipper says:

For me, either ‘Master of None’ or ‘Veep’.

10. Erica Miller says:

I cannot speak to Veep or Silicon Valley, but I watch the other series regularly. Season 2 of Master of None was perfect TV and the Thanksgiving episode was one of the best I have ever watched.

11. Christine Popowich says:

Superstore should’ve been nominated!! But I want Master of None to win – the second season was amazing; some of the best episodes of all television in that season.

12. Television says:

None of the above. I vote for The Middle.

13. Syl says:

I don’t watch any of them, so didn’t vote. The only comedy I watch these days is TBBT and that’s more out of habit. Either the world’s sense of humor has changed or mine has.

• Hannah says:

Hmm the only comedy you watch is out of habit (which sounds like you don’t genuinely enjoy it), and it isn’t even considered one of the best comedies on TV. Why don’t you try out some of the comedies listed above – they might surprise you.

• Syl says:

I did try several new comedies including Imaginary Mary [yikes], Kevin Can Wait [boring], Superior Donuts [dated and boring] and more that failed to interest me. I can’t stand hip hop, so Atlanta is out and with the others in this voting ballot none has a premise that appeals. I’m more of a Psych, Will & Grace viewer.

• Hannah says:

Yeah, the three that you tried are all quite bad, so that’s unfortunate luck.
          But all of shows above have drastically different premises, so there has to be something for you if try it. “The Good Place” isn’t nominated, but it should be – it’s really hilarious. And “black-ish” and “Modern Family” are shows about families – that’s as generic of a premise as you can get. It only takes half an hour to watch a pilot though, so if you don’t like it, you can move on to something else. That’s gotta be better than only watching a show you don’t enjoy anymore out of habit.

• Syl says:

The suggestions you made are part of the “and more” that I mentioned. As for TBBT, I do still enjoy it, just not as much. Over the years they’ve developed several characters I find annoying [Bert/Stuart] and dropped some I found highly amusing [Zach/Emily]. I plan on giving Young Sheldon a try as well as the Roseanne and Will & Grace reboots.

14. Tyler says:

Atlanta and masters of none aren’t even really comedies…

15. Tyler says:

Atlanta and masters of none aren’t even comedies….

16. T.W.S.S. says:

The only show I’ve seen here in Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, and its third season wasn’t the strongest.

17. Rex the Wonder Dog says:

The Big Bang Theory.

18. pickles says:

None of these made me laugh. I guess not funny is the new funny.

• Syl says:

Right there with you. Everything they’ve come up with the last several years is either vulgar, subliminal messaging or just unfunny. I can remember when Cheers, M*A*S*H, Taxi, and even Golden Girls was appointment TV. Now we get garbage like 2 Broke Girls and Speechless.

• Lillian says:

I love Speechless! I also love The Middle, which isn’t nominated, but should be. So many shows have characters you really wouldn’t like in real life so don’t like watching on tv.

19. Boone says:

Atlanta or Black-ish.

20. Zzz says:

Reruns of Seinfeld should win!

21. Alec says:

Black-ish, of course.

22. Jules says:

How is Atlanta a comedy?

23. fernando933 says:

Black-ish for the win

24. BlittleU says:

Atlanta or black-ish should win, Veep will win.

25. Wawasjohn says:

None, only modern family I watched but that was 4 seasons ago. For me Brooklyn nine and middle are far superior then all the shows on that list.

26. Justin says: