Once Upon a Time Season 7

ABC Boss Talks Once Upon a Time's Fate, 'Cheeky' Bachelor in Paradise Promo, S.H.I.E.L.D. Status and More

In success, Once Upon a Time‘s upcoming “reset” narrative could “absolutely” be renewed, network chief Channing Dungey said on Sunday at the Television Critics Association summer press tour.

“A lot of it is going to depend on how these new characters and this new storyline resonates,” she added, describing series creators’ Adam Horowitz and Eddy Kitsis’ plans as “really spectacular.” “If it does, we have the opportunity to tell multiple years with these new characters. And if not, we’ll talk about how we wind [the series] down” a la Lost.

Defending the decision to move Once (which last season averaged 3.2 million total viewers and a 0.9 demo rating) as well as Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (2.3 mil/0.7) to Friday nights, Dungey explained, “Both have been very stable performers us,” namely by enjoying significant growth in DVR playback, as well as “very important shows” on the international sales front.

Other topics covered by Dungey during her semi-annual TCA appearance:

• Addressing the backlash ABC felt when a Bachelor in Paradise promo was seen to be capitalizing on the production shutdown precipitated by since-dismissed claims of sexual assault, Dungey said, “We were never looking for a way to sensationalize it,” noting that “the promo in question did not refer to the incident at all.” Instead, the promo was intended as “cheeky and funny,” and once it became clear it wasn’t being received that way, “we pulled it.”

• Regarding ABC’s decision to revive American Idol so soon after its Fox sendoff, Dungey argued, “Fans have been clamoring [for its return] since the day it went away.” As for what the “new” version will look like, even with Ryan Seacrest returning as host, “This is going to be ABC’s version, we look forward to putting our own stamp on it.”

• Dungey confirmed that Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. will return as soon as Marvel’s Inhumans wraps its eight-episode debut, and with “little interruption” in its 22-episode run. “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. has continued to grow creatively every season,” she said. “And I’m very excited for what we have planned for Season 5.”

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Al says:

lol I would wait and see ratings

Given how much OUAT declines each year

2. CC says:

Have not been clamoring for American Idol. That was getting long in the tooth. Who even remembers who won in the later years?

• M says:

I agree I don’t think anyone was “clamoring” for it

• TiredofTripe says:

Channing Dungey can’t defend rebooting “Idol.”

That show went on at least five years too long, as is.

• ninergrl6 says:

Caleb Johnson, Nick Fradiani, and Trent Harmon won the last 3 season respectively, and no I did not look that up. *Someone* remembers, but even as a die-hard fan til the end, I wasn’t clamoring for AI’s return.

3. Kevin Tran says:

Wonder if the upcoming season of AoS is going to tie things up with Avengers: Infinity War not to mention bringing back the Kree which should set up a storyline involving the Captain Marvel movie starring Brie Larson.

• GrumpyMittens says:

“Captain Marvel” was confirmed to be “Iron Man” prequel (!) so I don’t think they need to set up a storyline in AoS. We pretty much know the story already.

4. Brandy says:

Is she serious about Once?It was getting 0.7-0.9 last spring and now on Fri with major cast changes the ratings will likely stop more and they decline every season anyway.Plus ,if they “ran out of runway” of stories for Dnowing in Dix seasons,what about Rumpje,Regina,Hook?Coujsnt they say the same?How long til they run out of story for these new characters?Most fans seem to want this to be the last season.

• Johnson says:

Right? They just find an excuse to bring a new curse, it’s like they don’t even try anymore. Adam and Eddy must have a pretty good contract, otherwise the show would have changed showrunners eons ago.

• brandydanforth81 says:

I love Once and spending on Lana ,Robert staying and how s7 is if it’s good I’d be happy with a s8.But yes,the curse Evey season is getting old and plus from what ive heard Cokin & Robert have said s7 is thier last and Jame Chung said she believes s7 will be the last and I feel that to a certain extent ,the network needs to listen to fans who have been complaining the last two seasons about cast departure ,declining quality/jumping the shark,ect and know when it’s time or in the best interest to end it.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Plus when cast starts ridding the show-Robert had harsh words this summer over Golden Queen,Jennifer in the past has spoken about her issues with the writting and Micheal Socha & Sean Magiyre both roasted the writers /Showrunners over treatment /witting for thier charcters –

5. Joey Padron says:

I can’t wait for the new season of Agents of Shield! Hope the show does well on Friday nights.

6. Susan says:

Season 8 of OUAT? Let’s just see how well season 7 is received!

7. Haylie says:

I don’t like the new season of what the trailer shows

8. Haz says:

I hope I’m wrong but I feel that Inhumans is going to be a total disaster. It’s seems like they’ve been really defending Inhumans along with the AI reboot quite a bit.

9. David Hess says:

If most of the new shows flop (they probably will) and Inhumans is as bad as some people are saying, I can see OUAT getting a short 8th season. Both AoS and Quantico did worse than OUAT yet all three shows got renewed despite an average below 1.0 in the live demo.

• :-) says:

All 3 of those shows do well overseas. I’ve seen the commercials. I’ve had people ask me about them in cabs and stores. I even saw a commercial for ouat and thought i have to watch this. It wasn’t until the end of the commercial i realized it was ouat and that i had seen that season. It was a great commercial. Came off as something Bondish/ Bournish

10. Cynthia says:

I am super excited for Agents of Shield to begin again already 😊

11. MLO says:

The only reason I’ve kept watching OUAT these last couple of years is that it has had no competition in its timeslot. All it will take is for another network to air something interesting and I’m pretty much outta there. As for American Idol – no thanks. Haven’t watched it for the last five or six years and haven’t heard anything about who won or had any exposure to them through airplay. Flogging a dead horse, there.