Fall TV Preview
Abigail Spencer Grey's Anatomy

Grey's Anatomy Recast: Timeless' Abigail Spencer Is the New [Spoiler]

TimelessAbigail Spencer is traveling to Seattle, Wash., circa 2017.

The actress has landed a multi-episode arc on Grey’s Anatomy as — twist! — Owen’s presumed-dead sister Megan Hunt, a character previously portrayed by Bridget Regan. According to sources, Regan’s full-time duties on TNT’s Last Ship prevented her from reclaiming the gig.

With Timeless‘ surprise second season not going into production until November (with an eye on a no-sooner-than-March premiere date), Spencer was available to take on the recurring gig. UPDATE: Regan has since addressed the recast on Twitter, acknowledging Spencer as an “incredible actor” who will make a “brilliant Megan.”

As Grey’s Anatomy‘s Season 13 finale came to a close, Nathan (Martin Henderson) joyfully raced off to join Owen (Kevin McKidd) and Amelia (Caterina Scorsone) for Megan’s arrival by chopper. (Megan “appeared” briefly in the episode, but a body double stood in for Regan.) But her mental state remained a big question mark.

Grey’s kicks off Season 14 with a two-hour episode on Thursday, Sept. 28.

1. Oran says:

Great casting, I love Abigail Spencer!

• canadian ninja says:

Yeah, nothing against Spencer but Regan needs to be on my tv more.

• Pearl says:

She’s been everywhere lately, between guest spots on jane the virgin, the last ship and agent carter the year before I’m surprised she even had time to do an episode on grey’s anatomy. I always love seeing her in different roles.

2. Matt C. says:

So I guess Megan won’t be sticking around for too long then, eh? Already I’m liking this storyline more and more! Can’t wait for Mer and Riggs to finally be together!

• Stacey says:

I figure she (Megan) will go off for rehab or something to recover… and opens up the possibility of a return if Timeless doesn’t work or she has time. But in the meantime. Timeless doesn’t tape for a awhile, so she has the availability now when Grey’s Anatomy needed a Megan.

• Ben says:

They give us a lame spoiler with that “recurring role” statement no?. I never like Riggs and how that character was shoved into the show… i even preffer Mer with Alex, Warren or Owen at this point (any of those options are good for drama, specially Warren given the story of Mer’s mother).

3. Joe says:

Fun facts…..Abigail starred in Krista Vernoff’s 2006 pilot, Introducing Lennie Rose and in the first short film that Krista wrote and directed. She also tested for the lead in the Shonda Rhimes produced pilot, Inside the Box.

4. Mia says:

Great casting? She looks nothing like the original character – or her brother.

• btm says:

I don’t think people were suggesting it was great casting by citing an uncanny resemblance to either Regan or McKidd. It’s more a reflection of posters’ sky high affinity for Abigail Spencer. She’s great.

• Anne says:

Aside from the hair colour, they look *very* similar

• Garbo says:

They do have very similar bone structure. Give Spencer a red wig and consider that Regan’s take on the character was only a brief, one-time flashback and nobody NOT as obsessed with TV news as all of us, will even notice. Plus they can always play the disfigurement card (the character was apparently held captive and tortured for a decade) not that any person couldn’t possibly just simply “change” a great deal physically after a whole decade, especially the kind of decade this character had.

• Izzy says:

For the longest time, I thought they were the same person.

• aria808 says:

Exactly! They look very similar, so I’m fine with the casting change. My only gripe, however, will be her noticeable height difference.

5. raddadtone says:

I like her. Good casting

6. Annie says:

When did Megan on the show? I only remember the scene from the finale (which was a body double?)

• Jenn says:

There was the episode with Owen, Stephanie and Meredith in the operating room all episode that had a bunch of flashbacks with their backstories

7. rowenamck says:

While I’m super disappointed that Bridget Regan won’t be returning, I also love Abigail Spencer so I’m excited to see how it goes.

8. lea says:

I hope she won’t stick around for too long.. I am just interested to see how Meredith and Nathan deal with it and when they can finally be together.

9. "A" says:

It would be kinda awesome ( only if she remains on “Timeless” too ) if Megan Hunt returns and after her arc on “Grey’s Anatomy” she is spun off into the new Firefighter spin-off as one of the female leads, a new doctor in a new hospital or a paramedic.

10. iHeart says:

wait I thought it was his wife that was presumed dead, or am I getting characters mixed up

11. ZinniQ says:

Long past it’s sell by date. Stopped watching after season 9.

12. "A" says:

It would be kinda awesome … only if she remains on “Timeless” too … if Megan Hunt returns and after her arc on “Grey’s Anatomy” she is spun off into the new Firefighter spin-off as one of the female leads, a new doctor in a new hospital or a paramedic.

13. Larc says:

Since GA usually wraps shooting in April and Abigail will have to leave for Timeless in January, I’m thinking they will kill Megan off or send her off well before the season ends.

• Garbo says:

It sure looks like it will be the S14A finale in November/December. Suicide or disappearance are my best guesses.

• Hannah says:

It would be the mother of all depressing storylines if they brought back Owen’s sister/Nathan’s fiance who was a tortured POW locked in a basement in the Middle East for the past decade who they grieved for, only to kill her off. I feel like neither Owen, nor Nathan would recover from that one…

14. Ben says:

Not a huge fan of hers but I am interested to see what she can do with this character and storyline.

15. miracle says:

That’s great, but Timeless not going into production until January???? It’s scheduled to start filming mid November.

16. Dem says:

Bummer. I really liked Bridget Regan for the role.

17. Leanne says:

Love Abigail Spencer. Also like the Last Ship. It’s a win win situation. This will help Greys.

18. A fan of TV says:

I love Abigail Spencer, but couldn’t she have looked even a little like the last Megan? Now she looks more like Amelia, unless she’s going to wear a wig. I’m assuming she won’t be don’t her hair what with her Timeless role using her natural hair color…

• A fan of TV says:

*dyeing

• Garbo says:

The two actresses have very similar bone structures so with the red hair she will be the spitting image of Regan. She will probably wear a wig or could even get a dye job considering she will wrap this gig before she goes back to her old one. And there is no way she will appear as a brunette in Grey’s if they care at all for continuity (distinctive red long hair flying up in the air in the season finale).

19. Lenore Bonicioli says:

So glad timeless is coming back. What a great show!!

20. fiberlicious says:

I was really looking forward to seeing Reagan again, but I guess you can’t have everything…

21. Antwon303 says:

She is a good actress but will she wear a red wig? It has been clearly established that Megan is a redhead.

22. Nick RNZ says:

Disappointed Bridget Regan is not returning really, was really hoping she :(

Alas I’m not really familiar with Abigail Spencer :( oh well.

• grazelled says:

Both are good. I saw Abigail for the first time on Timeless and really enjoyed the way she fits in with an ensemble cast. Good recast for Greys and still get to enjoy Bridget on Last Ship.

23. Stacy says:

Is the recast due to delayed shooting on The Last Ship?? Regardless, this reminds me of Parenthood. Maura Tierney was recast with Lauren Graham. Replacing one beloved actress with another? Bummed, but not bummed!

24. N says:

I Loved her in Rectify! Did anyone see her in That?

25. Aisling says:

I was hoping the news was going to be that they re-cast Arizona’s new doctor girlfriend, Eliza. She’s one of the worst actresses I’ve ever seen. Oh well.

26. Jake L. says:

TV Line staff: can you confirm that this is, in fact, the same character as Bridget played? I understand the scheduling issue and if that is all there is to it, fine. But do the writers want us to believe 100% that they are playing the same character, or are they gong to make us question whether Spencer is actually Owen’s sister, and then bring back Regan later? It sounds like a plain-and-simple recast, but since the finale was all about Owen not believing it was actually her, I wouldn’t be totally surprised if this was some kind of bait and switch. Can you confirm?

27. Anna says:

You can’t replace Bridget Regan. You can only try to find a decent actress for the role. The Timeless actress is good. But Bridget Regan is amazing. I’d watch her in anything. And honestly, I’d given up on Grey’s when Callie left, Bridget was the only reason I was considering picking it up again. Now I don’t have to.

28. She HAS to be one of, if not the UGLIEST woman on TV … HATED her from the very first time she showed up on GA. Piss poor casting for next season!!! If they want to bring back someone, why not Izzy or Addison or Callie?

• grazelled says:

Abigail Spencer has never appeared on Greys yet, not once. Bridget Regan was on for one episode as Megan in flashbacks as Owen’s sister, the role that’s being discussed in this article. Very confused about who’s the one that “showed up on GA” that’s hated. The picture of Abigail is not one of her best though, she really does look like Bridget with darker hair.

29. Courtney says:

Abigail does have similar bone structure as Bridget. I’m sure Abigail will look like Owen’s brother when they dye her hair. I can’t wait for season 14.

30. dsrbroadway says:

I really hope they give her a wig, otherwise it makes her a near-twin of current wife Amelia. Awkward!

31. Jami says:

I love her. Now recast her as a lesbian also. That would be great for Arizona, solves everyone love life drama. Abigail Spencer is a really good actress. I loved her in Rectify and of course Timeless. Now that made my day.

32. I hate recasts. I love Bridget Regan, but I also love Abigail so I guess it will be okay.

33. Drewer says:

Haha, this is perfect, I actually used to think Bridget Reagan was Abigail Spencer.