Fall TV Preview
Will & Grace Renewed Season 2

Will & Grace Revival Will Ignore the Original Series Finale's Sad Ending

Still bitter about Will & Grace‘s conscious uncoupling in the show’s 2006 finale? Your day is about to get a lot better.

Series creators David Kohan and Max Mutchnick confirm to Entertainment Weekly that the original ending — in which Will and Grace lost touch as they started new families of their own with Vince (Bobby Cannavale) and Leo (Harry Connick Jr.), respectively — will be completely ignored when the revival premieres on Sept. 28 (NBC, 9/8c), though Leo is scheduled to make an appearance.

“We frankly did not want to see them being either good parents or bad parents,” Kohan explains. “We wanted them to be Will and Grace.”

Jack and Karen, who became roommates in the series finale, will also return to their respective dwellings; Karen will be back with Rosario in her palace, while Jack will resume his position as the titular duo’s neighbor.

The original ending “was more or less a fantasy, a projection… into the future,” Kohan told reporters at the Television Critics Association press tour, adding that what he and Mutchnick missed most about doing the show was “the dynamic between the four of them,” and this fresh start will allow them to return to that.

But these characters haven’t been frozen in suspended animation for a decade, either: Will and Grace “haven’t been living together the entire time we haven’t seen them,” Mutchnick hinted, with Kohan adding: “Circumstances bring them back together again.”

Your thoughts on Will & Grace‘s re-write? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Vee Bee says:

Good. That’s the reasonable approach, I think.

2. Kal says:

I hated that ending so, yes, that’s way better. The finale was very cheesy and not so much what the show saw all about

3. Danielle says:

I am so sick of the revivals ignoring their original endings. Either don’t do a revival or own the stupid ending that you used the first time and try to remedy it. Ignoring it just makes the whole thing unrealistic and I find it extremely dissatisfying and insulting. We’re so saturated with good television already that if you can’t make the revival work in a way that is true to the original series and doesn’t create inconsistent story patterns, then just don’t bother. Next they’ll be bringing back Dawson’s Creek and Jenn will be alive, or Weeds and Nancy will have never even remarried.

• kmw says:

So agree with this. To me it doesn’t matter that the ending was bad. They are insulting peoples intelligence ( and using a soap opera trick to do it). This kind of plot would be ridiculed on any other show that isn’t considered prestige like Will and Grace. In the end it really is insulting that a show that is supposedly intelligent stoops to this kind of plot.

• Ingmar says:

I agree with this 100%. I never watched Will & Grace (or Roseanna for example), but I wouldn’t watch a revival that wouldn’t live in the same universe as the original series. And yes, that means I don’t want a revival to ignore a series finale. It’s insulting and destroys the show for me (more than a bad series finale…).

• Tina Cole says:

I absolutely love the show I wish it wouldn’t have ever went off the air it’s a very good comedy and we need comedy Now they all work so good together and they’re hilarious it’s like they were meant to be love this show love love love it if I had the money I would buy a whole the whole box set of the series love the show

• Allison says:

For the record, the Roseanne finale was also terrible and will also be ignored in the revival. So aggravating.

• Anastasia Beaverhausen says:

FFS, it’s a TV SHOW, FOLKS.

You all act like this you are sequencing the genomes to cure cancer. Get over yourselves.

• Georgina says:

^ Exactly. If you find skipping a forced TV ending (writers were obviously pressured to please at the time) ‘intellectually insulting’, you’ve been using those wrong your whole life.

Be happy it’s back or be quiet. Why out yourself?

• Temperance says:

Do we care? Nope. If it sucked, it sucked. If it needs to go, it goes. Get real.

• Brock Hard says:

If I’m not mistaken, wasn’t there a time jump in the finale? Just have the revival take place before the finale.

• R says:

They have already said that the show happens in real time so it’s 2017 on the show and in the finale in 2006 they showed them living apart when their respective kids go to college so therefore the time gap doesn’t fit in to the original story

• Allison says:

Their kids would be at least 10 or 11 in real time.

I am curious as to what they will do with Grace’s entire pregnancy. Are they ignoring that as well?

• Gilbert Martinez says:

Suggestion: don’t watch.

• I tend to disagree due to the fact that many finales aren’t consistent with the show as a whole (especially ones where the finale was sort of sprung on the show runners) and are huge let-downs to the fans in general. Case in point: How I Met Your Mother…. while the ending was planned, it was not in keeping with the entire show up until that point, with even the name stating that fact (How I Met Your MOTHER…..not How I Met Your Aunt Robin). Considering most of said finales are wildly unpopular with fans of the show, it makes perfect sense to me to ‘overlook’ them during reboots. The entire point of a reboot is to bring back a beloved show and make die-hard fans happy, which adhering to a hated ending wouldn’t do. Would you like to see a reboot of Lost with it resuming where that $&!#-show of an ending left off? I would rather not see a reboot at all than to have that happen. Not advocating a reboot of Lost, btw. Having said all of that, it’s possible that they may actually be adhering to the finale more than you think, because it says that Will and Grace have not always been together and that circumstances bring them back together, so this may be the aftermath of their lives in the finale.

• Jason says:

I totally agree!! It’s a big part of the reason I couldn’t get into the prison break revival (a show that already lasted a season or 2 longer than it should have). The main character died at the end of the original series, we watched him die. So how is he walking around alive?

• Allison says:

Totally agree. I did not like the ending at all, but ignoring it entirely is just worse.

4. SG says:

That was one of the worst endings ever, so I’m glad it’s happening.

5. Tracy says:

I get they are ignoring the ending but what about the fact that Grace was pregnant before the finale? Was it all just a dream?

6. Cassie says:

What about Beverly Leslie? Did he still get blown off of the balcony? (So to speak, of course)

7. Bryan Parrott says:

Jack coulda been the in the first shot- turns out the shows original ending was a story being told by jack- and somehow he was being too dramatic as usual in his details- thus- old will and grace!

8. qriffic says:

Where have these 4 been all these years – a cryogenic chamber? They look amazing. They deserve a reboot if only to show off how amazingly they have all aged!

9. Lisa Scaggs says:

I was wondering how they were going to handle it. I love that we are going back to how it used to be. So excited for the season to start.

10. Billy Bob says:

It’s a tv show people! It was a great tv show. They are bringing it back. That should be fun (let’s hope!). I’m glad. I couldn’t care less what the finale was because IT ISN’T REAL. LOL. Let them pick up wherever and move the storyline wherever it ends up going. And guess what? There’s going to be another “finale” for you all to hate. Haha.

• E. D. Boddy says:

Of course it’s just TV. But they’re trying to tell us what they SAID happened to the characters DIDN’T happen to the characters. In which case, why watch at all?

• Georgina says:

That’s not a response to what Billy Bob is saying. I feel this response is upside down. Just read what he wrote and don’t respond. You’ll get it…

11. I love that they are returning.
    I loved the characters.
    So of course I want a happy ending where they never grew apart.
    I can’t wait.

12. Ella says:

But can we have Bobby Cannavale’s Vince back too??? I loved Will and Vince together!

13. Missy says:

Yay! So, I understand ignoring that terribly sad ending but doesn’t that put an older, still bad for each other, Will & Grace in the same state that led to the end we somehow will need to forget?

14. Gilbert Martinez says:

As long as they bring back Beverly Leslie. Period.

15. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Oh, good g-d, people. It’s a fictional TV show. They can do whatever they want. Stop with all the “It’s canon” nonsense. Leave that to the sci-fi geeks.

• E. D. Boddy says:

If what they said happened to the characters didn’t happen to the characters, what should we conclude about what happens in the revival?

16. Jeannie says:

Love the idea of ignoring the way the series ended. I’m sure many will agree. Can’t wait to see Karen and Jack again!! Will and Grace too!!!

17. Sarah says:

Glad they’re ignoring it. Lord knows I have been. Worst ending ever.

18. Marvin Sa says:

you know this is gonna crash and burn by the end of the first season. The writers are going to have to walk an extra thin line, stay relevant and not piss off the viewers (by being to slanted/political), It was a tough then, it’ll be nearly impossible now. No, it will not succeed and fall by the wayside along with the other reboots.

19. Ann says:

I don’t like them rewriting history. The ending was bitter sweet. I liked it. I wish they didn’t do a reboot of the series but, instead, do a spin-off called Jack & Karen instead, with Will and Grace making cameos so that it doesn’t feel like they are cheating on the original series.

20. Angel says:

The time jumped the ending to their kids meeting in college and eventually getting married….I hope they at least address it as Will or Grace wakes up and says “I had this crazy dream” and then pick up like they always do. They will have ignore almost the last season entirely since Grace got pregnant by Leo which lead to them ending their friendship in the first place. I would love to see Vince back and also back. I liked watching them navigate their relationships and their friendship. It made for some funny stuff.

21. iHeart says:

what will they do next? reboot how I met your mother and erase THAT ending despite the fact that there was an alternate ending that was better?

• Ann says:

The HIMYM ending was good and bitter sweet. It fit the narrative of the entire series and made complete sense to people who actually watched the entire series run. I predicted that exact ending in season 3, because the writing moved the narration to that logical conclusion. The only problem I had with the ending was that it went through the years too fast. They shouldn’t have focused the entire last season on a wedding that only lasted 5 minutes into the finale.

• iHeart says:

I only watched the final season in it’s entirety and to be honest I didn’t feel ripped off at all. I mean I can understand how people felt I mean all that for the entire season only for Barney and Robin to divorce

I never said that THAT ending was bad though, to be honest, I thought both endings were good

22. MrMank says:

I think it’s lazy. This whole thing is about making a buck. You can’t tell me that with all of the aspiring writers out there that the next big ORIGINAL gem is not out there somewhere. None of these actors have had a success story since the show went off the air, so this is their chance to be relevant again. And the blatant ignoring of the established ending is just laziness on the writers’ part. It’s like Dallas, with the whole season that was a dream, just so they could bring Patrick Duffy back. Only in this case, they’re not even making an effort to make it fit. I know there are people out there who say “get over it, it’s a fictional show”, and there are people falling over themselves because these characters are their lives. But I think most people fall in the middle. They invest time in these shows, and so they invest in characters and story. Once you mess with continuity, you pull people out of that story. And I find, for the most part, that it’s unfair and unfaithful to your audience. Just one man’s opinion.

23. J says:

This decision is clear evidence the series is being brought back for political reasons rather than meaningfully continuing the story they wrote for these characters.

24. Brynna says:

Right, so could they maybe start the show with that last horrible scene from the series in the college, and then have Will or Grace wake up, and it was a dream? Then one can race over to the other and apologize, and then zoom 10 years later and everything is lovely????? PLEASE!!! I HATE continuity holes.

25. Joan Chandler says:

I can buy it – if you look at the finale as a “Fantasy” projection that was just a guess of what might happen in the future.