Fall TV Preview

CBS' Me, Myself & I Has a Plan to Conceal Stars' Height Difference

Can 40-year-old Bobby Moynihan possibly grow up to look like John Larroquette, gaining among other things a good six inches of height in the process?

That was a recurring topic as CBS’ Me, Myself & I held court at the Television Critics Association summer press tour on Tuesday. The freshman sitcom stars five-time Emmy winner Larroquette, SNL vet Moynihan and Jack Dylan Grazer as wannabe inventor Alex Riley — at age 65 in the year 2042, at age 40 in the present day and as a 14-year-old in the year 1991. Meaning, all three actors are all playing the same role, and thus theoretically growing up to be one another.

In addressing the specific visual disconnect between Moynihan and Larroquette, executive producer Dan Kopelman cited the 2014 indie Love & Mercy, in which Paul Dano and John Cusack played Beach Boy Brian Wilson at different ages. “They trusted the audience to go along with it,” he said.

For Me, Myself & I, “I never considered aging Bobby up; it was always three actors playing same role,” Kopelman added. “Honestly, it was about getting the best actor possible for the role, and we trust the audience will go along for the ride.”

Specifically regarding Larroquette’s height, Kopelman said, “In the [2042] scenes, we’ve tried to surround him with taller people, so he’s not towering over actors.” Plus, the EP noted, Larroquette and Moynihan are “never on screen together,” side by side, so “if we do our job right, you’re going to go along for the ride.”

Me, Myself & I premieres Monday, Sept. 25 at 9:30/8:30c.

1. M says:

I doubt anyone will notice since the show won’t make it past 6 episodes.

• S says:

You’ve seen it already? Please tell me how was it so I won’t have to waste my time???

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

That was humor, because CBS last pulled a Monday sitcom that quickly in… um… let me dig deep into my notes… BBL!

• Marc says:

Was S was being “humorous” as well? I find it helpful to read comments as though they are all coming out of David Spade’s mouth before taking them too seriously. ;)

• Billy Bob Johnson says:

Partners – 2012
          We Are Men – 2013
          The Millers – 2014

2. flowerduh says:

I believe this show is going to be better than anyone thinks . This is a more compelling story line than most of the shows that are on now. At least it’s something different. At least there’s no superhero/villain storyline. I’m grateful for shows like This us US and Me Myself and I. It’s about life! Everyday life. Remember The Wonder Years? Show’s like that are worth watching and I believe that this will be the same.

• paxilrose89 says:

Yeah, the parts set during childhood in 1991 sound promising like Wonder Years or Freaks and Geeks, it’s the parts set in 2042 with Laroquette and a bunch of “taller people” I’m worried about.

3. Television says:

Please tell me that he isn’t off of the other show he is on, The Librarians. That show is awesome and I really enjoy his character on it. Don’t want to see him leave that show for this show.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I believe I recall this being brought up and before, and being informed that it has no bearing on the Librarians.

• Daya says:

I’ve always assumed that limited seasons (as with Librarians) make it easier to do two shows at once because they have different shooting schedules.

4. Jared says:

This show will get cancelled before anyone even notices a height difference.

5. lrdslvrhnd says:

An easy way to do it… it’s in the future. At some point he took part in some experiment for quick cash that increased his height. Just a quick comment about “Man, I can’t believe the shortest NBA player is 9 feet tall now!” “Yeah, ever since they legalized *experiment or serum or surgery or whatever* it’s gotten ridiculous. Hey, weren’t you one of the first subjects?”

6. Walkie says:

It’s such a ridiculous casting decision that it makes you wonder if the people running the show have any concept of what works.