Fall TV Preview
The Good Place

NBC Tweaks Fall Rollout: Good Place Gets Early Talent-Boosted Premiere, The Blacklist Return Moved Up

The Good Place has been blessed with a heavenly Season 2 launching pad.

NBC announced Monday that the Kristen Bell-Ted Danson comedy will kick off its second season a week early — on Wednesday, Sept, 20 at 10/9c, with a special one-hour episode immediately following the (traditionally) highly-rated two-hour season finale of America’s Got TalentThe Good Place will then settle into its regular Thursday-at-8:30 perch after Superstore on Sept. 28.

Additionally, The Blacklist — which was slated to kick off its fifth season on Wednesday, Oct. 4 — will also return a week earlier, on Wednesday, Sept. 27 at 8/7c. It replaces a special standalone Blind Auditions episode of The Voice, which will now be reabsorbed into the normal MondayTuesday installments.

1. kmw says:

Good for both shows. It is always good to get your shows back sooner rather than later. The Good Place should get a nice boost from the AGT final

2. Gina says:

I have to say, I went back and watched The Good Place, knowing what I know since the finale. It just makes the show that much better. I honestly didn’t get a chance to appreciate that twist finale until I watched it all again.
    That said, yay! I’m so happy it’s back for another season. And back sooner rather than later.

• Ann says:

I know! I rewatching the entire first season after watching the finale. It just brought a different aspect of the entire first season, like I was watching it again for the first time. I can’t wait for season 2.

3. AJ says:

I like The Good Place but I don’t see it getting any kind of permanent boost from this. Probably a 1 week boost. They should be re-airing it in NBC during repeat season.

• TheDuck0 says:

You’re right: NBC should be airing the first season in late August/early September for those who missed it the first time, but for what it’s worth, the full first season is available on Hulu. And if you missed it the first time, GO WATCH IT!

4. Joey Padron says:

Good news for both shows! I can’t wait to watch the new seasons for both shows in September!

5. Kevin Tran says:

This news makes me happy. The Good Place is one of the best comedies I’ve ever seen and hilarious performances by Kristen Bell and Ted Danson. As for Blacklist, not so sure if the upcoming 5th season is going to be its last or should the series go beyond.

6. TV Gord says:

Great news! These are two of my favorite shows! I still have my fingers crossed that they’ll give The Blacklist a later time slot before it returns.

7. ??? says:

I don’t want to complain because I love The Good Place. But do these types of premieres really work in the show’s favor in the long term? This is anecdotal, but when The Good Place premiered last year after The Voice earlier in the week before moving to Thursday, a lot of my less TV-savvy friends were confused about the time slot. I do hope more people will discover the show, either way, because it’s forking hilarious.

8. Nope says:

I really don’t understand how having a show premiere on one day of the week, then having the rest of the run on a completely different day doesn’t just confuse people.

9. Luis M. Hernandez says:

Just watched season 1 on Netflix. I was hooked right from go! Great concept, good acting, odd comedy. Glad to see it will be back, and Jameela Jamil… what a beauty!