Big Bang Theory

The Big Bang Theory Season 11: Sheldon Forces Showrunner Change

Sheldon Cooper, look what you’ve done now!

The imminent birth of Young Sheldon has forced CBS and Warner Bros. to make a major behind-the-scenes change on mothership series The Big Bang Theory. According to DeadlineBig Bang executive producer Steve Holland will take the showrunner reins in Season 11, replacing Steve Molaro, who is segueing to spinoff series Young Sheldon.

Molaro isn’t abandoning the Big ship completely. He will continue to oversee TV’s No. 1 sitcom alongside co-creator/executive producer Chuck Lorre, while Holland will serve as day-to-day showrunner and run the writers’ room.

Holland joined the writing/producing staff of The Big Bang Theory in Season 3 and became an exec producer in the 2016–17 season.

Big Bang Season 11 will premiere Monday, Sept. 25 at 8/9c, immediately ahead of the premiere of Young Sheldon.

1. Billy Bob Johnson says:

After 10 years, I think they have the formula down pat. It’s on autopilot.

• awnb95 says:

You could have said that about NCIS after the death of the showrunner, but I can tell the difference in the show last season. Well have to wait & see what they do.

• Maria says:

True. But some of that could be attributed to the exit of Michael Weatherly and the addition of new, unproven cast members.

• KLS says:

Gary Glassberg of NCIS had already laid out the season, brought in the new characters and were 1/4 through the season before he passed away. So he was there for the big mess that started last season. The real difference may be seen this year with the new showrunners being in control from the beginning.
          I am not a fan of TBBT so I don’t intend on watching it or Sheldon this Fall.

• Sarah says:

I liked last season, once the new cast started to click I thought it was much better than the previous season. Very sorry to see Jennifer Esposito go, but I’m looking forward to next season.

2. Helen says:

Young Sheldon looks like it’s going to be too stupid to watch so not sure I’m going to watch it ?? Sorry can’t improve on perfection.

3. TV Gord says:

BBT could use some fresh blood, so I hope this helps to rejuvenate this once-great comedy!

• Chris says:

I gotta say imo the last two season have been
      Ugh better than 7, and 8. Still no where near how good it was for the first 4.

4. Chris says:

He’ll be back before the season is over once young Sheldon completely flops.

5. This (TBBT) has become one of the more insipid comedies on TV. The 1st 3 season were very good but then they changed the show from a true ensemble to the Sheldon & friends show. Sheldon is the single more OVERRATED character on TV. A little bit of him does a LONG way. How I Met Your Brother, in hindsight, turned out to be a MUCH better show (even if you hated the final episode). CBS is going to be disappointed in the ratings for Young Sheldon. Hopefully, it will help TBBT finally start getting ready to end.

6. Tom says:

I figure they will milk a couple more seasons unitl Raj finds his happy ending.

7. Jerry Smith says:

I think it might be nice to see the show without Steve Molaro again. He took over in the sixth season and made the show a bit more soap-y. Before the BBT, he produced teen dramas for Nickelodeon.

8. davidztaylor says:

I’d recomend not unpacking. No offense to anyone but this is a horrid idea. As far as ‘spin offs’ go, show business is littered with many more “Joey’s’ than “Frasiers’. And yes, I know it’s a prequel but it’s the same thing. Generally speaking, these things don’t work well. That’s kinda why we never had a show about Ike and Cora’s General Store after the depression was over.

9. Tony says:

Perhaps that’s what this shoe needs, a little shakeup. It’s became too lazy, too afraid to take some chances. It needs a shot of fresh new blood.

And they need to finally make Raj come out of the closet. Come on, folks – no gay people in the BBT universe :( Just running gay jokes.

10. Mary says:

To all of you with your insipid reasons to kill TBBT, perhaps a switch of the dial might suit you. Keep it to yourself and let those of us who still consider it the best comedy on the network channels alone to enjoy season 11.