TGIF Returns On Hulu

Hulu Acquires Classic TGIF Lineup: Family Matters, Full House and More

Hulu is bringing back the best night of the week.

The streaming service has acquired the rights to more than 800 episodes from TGIF — the classic lineup of ABC comedies that aired on Friday nights in the 1990s — which will be available to stream beginning on Friday, Sept. 29.

As part of Hulu’s exclusive deal with Warner Bros. Domestic Television Distribution, every episode of Family Matters, Full House, Step by Step, Perfect Strangers and Hangin’ With Mr. Cooper will join the Hulu library.

“These shows are more than just beloved hits — they were part of a cultural tradition to tune in every Friday night,” Craig Erwich, Hulu’s SVP of Content, said in a statement. “Now, it can be Friday any day of the week on Hulu.”

Of course, these are just five of the series that aired as part of the TGIF lineup, which ran from 1989 to 2000. Other big TGIF shows included Boy Meets WorldSabrina, the Teenage WitchClueless; and Dinosaurs — some of which are already available to stream.

Will you be revisiting your TGIF favorites? And which others do you hope will soon become streamable? Drop a comment with your thoughts below.

1. Daya says:

I’d be interested if Hulu still had a free option…

2. Renee Burton says:

Perfect Strangers for the win!!!

3. Lynne says:

All awesome shows, but the one I was really hoping for was Just the Ten of Us.

• ninergrl6 says:

I thought the same thing! Glad I’m not the only one who remembers & enjoyed that show. I was hoping for Mr. Belvedere too.

• Lynne says:

I think Belvedere was slightly before my time, or I just don’t remember it. My original TGIF was Full House, Family Matters, Just the Ten of Us and Perfect Strangers. Maybe Growing Pains was in place of JTTOU took over, since it was considered a ‘spinoff’ of GP. I remember the shows’ casts used to host it every week, a different cast each week.

• Nick says:

Despite the fact that JTTOU (I remember that show! Too bad it didn’t last longer) was part of TGIF, ABC never aired Growing Pains on Friday nights. It actually aired briefly on Saturday nights late in its run as part of another TGIF-like comedy night that ABC created (Anyone remember I Love Saturday Night in early 1992?)

Mr. Belvedere aired on Friday nights mostly before ABC introduced the TGIF branding. I remember that show airing between Webster, the final season of Diff’rent Strokes, and Benson around 1985-86. That lineup laid the foundation for the kid-friendly iconic shows that made up the lineup 5 years later, I believe.

4. Cecily says:

I’ve been dying for Perfect Strangers. I’m so excited!

5. tybabb says:

Kind of funny that Hulu has the rights to Full House while Netflix produces Fuller House

6. Jane says:

Didn’t Netflix say they couldn’t get Full House because of how their syndication was done? How did Hulu get it then?

7. B says:

Just the ten of us?!?!

8. Mark says:

Why isn’t Boy Meets World available online anywhere? :(

9. T.W.S.S. says:

If Hulu can get Living Single, I’ll restart my subscription, I’ll even consider paying the limited-commercials rate.

10. maltru says:

I was just lamenting the fact that Hanging with Mr. Cooper doesn’t get any of the love that Full House or Family Matters or those shows seem to get, and yet I remember loving it just as much as the others! I can’t wait!

11. Lani says:

Now I just need someone to get the rights to all the old TNBC shows and I’ll never have to leave the house again.

12. Nirav Thakkar says:

Finally Step by Step is available!! It’s one of the shows not available on DVD or Blu Ray. Thank you to whoever made this happen! :)

13. fatalsin says:

haha dinosaurs used to love that show… not the mama!

14. Emor says:

Dance Of Joy!!!!!!!!

15. matty says:

I just wish this included Just The Ten of Us!

16. Nick says:

Great news! Hopefully, this will pave the way for Perfect Strangers and Step by Step reruns to air on TV again. IMO, Antenna TV would be a good home for one or both shows. I know there are so many millenials and Gen Xers who would love to see those shows again. They deserve to be in regular rerun rotation on TV like Full House.

17. odell01 says:

It must be said, just how much fun does that add up to…? I had no idea there was so much to TGIF. Just for the record, it would be extra fun if Mr. Belvedere were included!

18. Jessica says:

I am very happy

19. Pat says:

I bet that if ABC even aired reruns of those shows on Friday nights today, they’d get significantly higher ratings than what they’re now running. How sad that that night has been relegated to nothing more than cheap filler like Shark Tank, What Would You Do, The Toy Box, etc after family-oriented comedies ran there for 30 years.

Also, it completely baffles me that ABC executives had no grasp of Full House’s enduring popularity in syndication and zero interest in Fuller House. Have they all been living under a rock? I mean, it’s only a revival of one of their most successful comedies over the last 35 years. They wouldn’t be interested in the ratings and buzz it’s generating for Netflix and undoubtedly would’ve generated for them?? I don’t get it. Oh well, their loss.

20. Stacy says:

YES! Perfect Strangers hasn’t even been fully released on DVD, so this is AWESOME news. Good move, Hulu! And yes, Sabrina the Teenage Witch is already available on Hulu.