Fall TV Preview
Maria Bello NCIS

Maria Bello Joins NCIS Season 15, Will Forge 'Unique Relationship' With Gibbs

Gibbs is about to make a new full-time frenemy.

Maria Bello (ER, Prime Suspect) is joining NCIS‘ forthcoming 15th season as a series regular and a foil for Mark Harmon’s special agent, TVLine has learned. She will debut in Episode 4 as an agent (name TBD) who, per CBS’ official character description “was commissioned as a second lieutenant in the army and served two tours in Afghanistan. After joining NCIS, she built her reputation as the agency’s premier forensic psychologist. Unlike the other agents, she can second guess and challenge Gibbs, so there will be friction but also mutual respect. She is a positive force, mischievous and at times acerbic.”

In a joint statement, co-showrunners George Schenck and Frank Cardea said, “We have always been big fans of Maria Bello’s work and are excited to be introducing her as an agent who not only has a distinct talent, but also a unique relationship with Gibbs.”

Bello most recently co-starred in the Amazon drama Goliath.

Her casting comes roughly two months after it was announced that Jennifer Esposito’s brief stint as Agent Alex Quinn was coming to an end.

NCIS returns with Season 15 on Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 8/7c.

1. D says:

“bang bang bangity bang”

wonder if anyone will get this reference.

2. jp says:

Hope she leaves her Prime Suspect hat at home.

3. MMD says:

Love Maria Bello and still hope that NCIS is NOT the show referenced in the blind item.

4. J Bid says:

Will she be a redhead?

5. skrable2a says:

“Forensic psychologist” … This used to be Ducky’s role. Yet another hint that Mr. McCallum’s work schedule could be getting reduced.

• Daya says:

I’ve seen him use his certification/knowledge all of two or three times since they introduced the idea. Can’t reduce something that isn’t used in the first place.

• David says:

No. Ducky is forensic PATHOLOGIST, not psychologist

• Paloma says:

He is both. He earned a master’s degree in forensic psychology in season 3.

• Karen says:

Even if he is both, he probably wouldn’t be considered an expert. He’s the medical examiner first and a forensic psychologist second. This new character is a full-time forensic psychologist. She’s going to have a deeper insight into the criminal mind than Ducky would because he only uses his training on a part-time basis.

The equivalent would be Abby and McGee. McGee has on occasion served as an Abby substitute and has run various forensic tests. He’s capable of performing the basic forensic scientist’s duties even though he is a full-time field agent. But when it comes down to it, Abby is the expert and she will always have a deeper understanding of the job and the science behind it.

• claudiagail says:

No, Ducky’s degree was in the psychological autopsy. He is not a forensic psychologist.

6. Steve F. says:

Well, at least we now know that Gibbs is safe from the Blind Item regarding a series regular getting whacked in their series’ season opener…

• C says:

That blind item is likely Criminal Minds. Most of the characters (except Reid, who was home with mom after their ordeals) and Garcia (who rarely goes on cases) were in a car “accident” (likely caused by villian Peter Lewis). That was the cliffhanger. The network has already announced that they let the last new hire last season (Damon Gupton who played Walker) go. Comments from Paget Brewster seem to lead us to the conclusion that the car collision causes Stephen Walker’s death.

• Paige says:

From the BI:
        “Rumor has it that an hour-long drama series on one of the Big 5 broadcast networks is poised to kill off one of its most popular characters (an original series regular), while tacking on a time-tripping twist straight out of How to Get Away With Murder.”

Damon was not an “original series regular” nor would I consider him “most popular”

• Angela says:

Exactly. Plus, they had a list of the shows the blind item could be referring to, and “Criminal Minds” was not among them.

7. Amy Wigand says:

Maybe one of the NCIS shows will finally be joining the rest of us in 2017 by acknowledging that LGBT people exist

• Haz says:

That’s a very ignorant comment considering they’ve dealt with cases involving members from the LGBT community. I’ll be honest I could care less because I watch the show for entertainment purposes and do not believe everything has to be politically correct.

• Amy Wigand says:

Excuse you. Name calling is uncalled for. Grow up. Go be a nasty rude jerk to someone else because it will not be tolerated

• maybe you need to grow up Amy…Haz did not call you a name he said your comment was ignorant he did not call you any name…..next Amy they have had episodes dedicated but it is not completely up to them it’s how the Network feels…..The powers that be may not be ready for that….

• Zzz says:

Your join the rest of us comment was rude

• Alex Fielder says:

Why is it when someone gets on here and says something that doesn’t go with someone else’s idea of political correctness, all hell breaks loose? It is very true that NCIS has done several episodes with a positive spin on the LGBT community. If Amy were paying attention to the show, she would’ve known that instead of blindly calling the show out for not doing something they have indeed done. So the comment wasn’t so much rude as indignant – and rightfully so.

• Jerri says:

You say namecalling is uncalled for, yet in the same comment you call someone a jerk. How is it ok for you to do but not for anyone else?

• claudiagail says:

You must be forgetting Ned Dornegett, (and those who complained about NCIS having a gay agent), not to mention the cases they have handled, many very affirmative of LGBT community.

• Amy Wigand says:

The NCIS franchises have combined for more than 25 seasons. Have any of them ever had an LGBT character that lasted more than a handful of episodes?

• claudiagail says:

You have a right to your own perspective, but I just don’t agree that the show ignores the LGTB community.

• claudiagail says:

Forgot to mention that NCIS New Orleans introduced an openly lesbian agent to their team at the beginning of the previous season.

• Amy Wigand says:

Forgot about Greorio. But one LGBT character does not make my point any less valid

• Ann Denning says:

Don’t be so focused on LGBT . Sit back, relax and enjoy the show.

• Wow you complain that they don’t have a regular LGBTQ character in any of the NCIS franchises and yet when some one points out one they intro duced last season. You are like well still my point is valid. How is your point still valid, I think it disproves your point entirely. And don’t get it twisted I’m all for inclusion of everyone now matter race, religion, sexual orientation or identity, but still you’re just complaining just to be contrary now.

8. Dragonfly says:

Hope she would be better the Quinn. Season 14 was a disaster. I knew we will have to adjust without Tony but I was expecting so much more.

9. Rosie says:

Always exciting to “meet” new characters on NCIS. They seem always to be wonderfully chosen (in past seasons), although we do miss those that leave. Still missing “Tony” Michael Weatherly….even though I can see him on Bull.

10. JM says:

This is great. I absolutely loved her work in “A History of Violence”. The show has been getting stale for me and the Esposito character was a real drag. Maria Bello should shake things up a bit. Also, I am sick of seeing Gibbs just working on his boat and not having any personal life. That needs to be changed up, too.

• maregolden says:

I was OK with Esposito until they brought in the mother with alzheimers backstory. I don’t know the character well enough to care about her relatives.

11. Cassie says:

Didn’t need her at all!! The cast is too big already, and not enough story time for the veteran characters. Not looking forward to this. And I really miss Michael and Cote on NICE as is. The storylines were horrible last season. I’m hoping for a guest appearance from Michael sometime…

• claudiagail says:

To each their own, but I thought overall that season 14 had some of the best episodes ever. Shows go on, and I’m looking forward to seeing how the new agent works out.

• mary says:

Funny how some keep saying that. Some of the greatest series had far more characters on it than NCIS does.

12. lame says:

Gibbs’ perfect foil was Holly Snow. She had been around the block a few times and was as tough as nails but had a soft spot for Gibbs. Bring her back.

• Katie_Mead says:

Nah, you must mean Lt.Col. Hollis Mann.

• Alex Fielder says:

No, that’s Holly Snow, the Heidi Fleiss clone who showed up in a couple of episodes. I liked Hollis Mann too. Too bad none of the women stuck around longer than they did.

• cosmoman11 says:

I liked the Holly Snow character because I love Dina Meyer. But I think the perfect foil for Gibbs was M Allison Hart.

13. Bella says:

Oh, no. Why does this show keep going back to those characters, because I hate them – M. Allison Hart, Dr. Samantha what’s-her-name, that blonde NCIS agent that Tony had a thing with. Please, give us a break.

14. Tom Murnane says:

Thought Duckie was the de facto resident forensic psychologist…Hmmm…

15. CF says:

The character description reminds me of the Jamie Lee Curtis character from a previous season.

16. Larc says:

I was hoping the vacant Esposito slot would stay that vacant. NCIS should be trimming yet another name from the regular cast list, not adding to it.

17. Shannon says:

So will Ducky just be the ME again? I liked him as their forensic psychologist, and don’t see the need for a new one. Unless he is the character the blind item refers to. They’d make Palmer ME then. I stopped watching after MW left, but considered starting it up again, but if they kill off Ducky I won’t 💔

18. claudiagail says:

In the first two seasons we had Kate, who had profiler training, then after her death, Ducky had training in what I think was called “psychological autopsy,” but he was not a forensic psychologist. Wondering what kind of case will bring the new agent to the team, but I’m looking forward to it. And people need to remember that not all the regular cast members appear in every episode.

19. Karin E. Gonzales says:

This is great news. I love her acting. She will be able to go toe to toe with Gibbs.

20. Robbin Gunther says:

Why hire another when u already had Jennifer Esposito which played her character great !Stupid ! FIre one then hire one ! Sick of them doing that !!

• Bellswebster says:

Jennifer wasn’t fired, she said herself her role was only ever to be for a short period of time. It was her decision to only be more of a temp.

21. Bellswebster says:

This lady must be going to be the character whose name Regan has come up a couple of times. I wish they would stop adding people in, they were fine with 1 number left although I really enjoyed Jennifer. I will miss her. Season 14 was ‘quiet’ but still interesting so I am hoping this season will be a little more ‘meaty’ and more action packed.

22. arial2 says:

“Forensic psychologist”? Isn’t that what Ducky does, unofficially? I’m worried, now.

23. Hal Grimes says:

And hopefully “get down” with each other

24. annieo53 says:

So is she meant to be Col. Hollis Mann 2.00? Sounds interesting. For those of you complaining about S14 of NCIS, remember that not only was it their first season without Michael Weatherly, their show runner died just as the season was getting going. Aside from their grief, I’m sure there was some chaos involved in getting things back together. While I did my fair share of complaining about the new cast, overall I think they did a decent job of continuing to pull the show together after Glasberg’s death. As Ducky says, “keep on goin’…”

25. Tracy288 says:

Why? Why couldn’t they just have kept Jennifer Esposito?

26. danoregon says:

Between Bello and Aniston’s return – it really say something about the movie business that they don’t have work for actresses with resumes like theirs.

27. Top says:

Bello, outstanding pick. Standby Gunny your going to have your hands full.

28. Kate says:

Too many characters in the show already – don’t need one more.

29. sherry says:

Doesn’t David mccallum want to leave the show because he wants to retire. Could be why they made Jimmy a doctor. Just have to wait and see.

30. LMF says:

this could bein teresting. I like her tho I haven’t seen her in a lot of shows..big improvement over Jamie lee Curtis. I really like JLC but they just didn’t match. Mark Harmon is a hottie

31. Nellibly says:

Is it just me or does this character sound a lot like the one played by Jamie Lee Curtis?

32. KM13 says:

Tony left and we got three new characters to fill the void. It was too much. I was glad to lose one, and now they’re replacing her? Why?

33. arlene bishop says:

Jennifer Esposito is the best. Too bad she is out!

34. George says:

Why?????? Are they trying to ruin a great show???? If it isn’t broken stop trying to fix it.

35. Leroy J Gibbs is reaching mandatory retirement age. (Ducky isn’t credible, but please keep him anyway).
    He needs to marry a younger agent and just support the team or otherwise go out in a blaze of glory saving the President or World.

36. Hannah Rose Potts turner says:

I can not wait for to see what happens to McGhee and Gibbs. I hope they both stay alive love all the actors and the shows