Big Little Lies Nicole Kidman Celeste Finale Season 2

Big Little Lies: HBO Boss Confirms Season 2 in Early Development

HBO is indeed eyeing more Big Little Lies — despite some vocal resistance from one of the Emmy-nominated series’ key players.

At the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour on Wednesday, the cabler’s programming president, Casey Bloys, confirmed that he has asked author Liane Moriarty to “take a crack at” coming with with a story for a potential second season, adding, “I’ll be very curious to see what she comes up with.”

Leading ladies Nicole Kidman and Reese Witherspoon have both expressed interest in keeping the franchise going, but exec producer/director Jean-Marc Vallée — who helmed all seven Season 1 episodes — is proving to be a tougher sell.  “There is no way; there’s no reason to make a Season 2,” he recently harrumphed. “That was meant to be a one-time deal, and it’s finishing in a way where it’s for the audience to imagine what can happen.”

Bloys, however, suspects there may be some wiggle room there. “I know [Jean-Marc] said that… but Nicole and Reese can be very persuasive,” he said with a laugh. “First we have to see the material and see if it’s worth everyone’s time. And if it is, [we’ll have a] conversation about directors.”

1. Wezzyl24100 says:

I really don’t want this, and I loved the series. I am good with how it ended. What I really wish it that they would adapt another of Moriarty’s books. She does have some other really good ones: The Husband’s Secrect or What Alice Forgot. They could even keep the same actors and actresses and have them play different roles. AHS does it every season and it works.

2. Brian says:

So mixed on this. Part of me thinks they should leave it alone while another part of me wouldn’t mind seeing these women again.

3. Tyler says:

I’m in. What I loved were the characters and the acting. I’m fully capable of viewing it as a separate season to love or hate on its own. If it’s not good, that doesn’t tarnish season one for me. If it’s wonderful, then I get a second wonderful set of episodes to enjoy. I trust the actors and creative team behind it to give it a whirl if they want to.

4. prada says:

well, the leftovers was amazing! and they run out of source material too, so if they feel that it’s going to be good I’m on board!

5. ryaneco says:

I’m torn, I agree that Season 1 was perfect and there really is no need for a second season. But the show was just so good and the characters, acting, directing, mood, music and visuals were incredible, i’d just love to dive back into that world.

6. T.W.S.S. says:

I stand with Jean-Marc Vallée. This is a very easy way to lose a lot of goodwill from fans and awards voters.

Shows should know when to end. You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

7. Ray says:

Deleted my season pass. It was (nearly) perfect as it was! Don’t mar its memory.

8. J Frost says:

Wasn’t Jennifer Aniston going to star in What Alice Forgot? I thought I read she was attached – or had maybe even bought the rights – months a go? No?

9. 1Maynard says:

Has TV fallen to the point where a soap opera evening series is being treated as ‘Roots’? It was interesting, but the best part was the ending where the wimpy husband got his due. Please don’t make a prequel – Ms Kidman in her 50’s doesn’t need to give us another peek show. Let her get through her mid-life crisis in privacy.

10. bluepasj says:

I really don’t see that thing they called and ending as an ending and, personally, think a sequel is not just possible but necessary and hopefully will be better than the first season.

11. Michele says:

I thought Big Little Lies was a great show, I couldn’t wait to see it on Netflix and I’m very much looking forward to seeing more series of it. The story line itself and the actors involved did a fabulous job. I am anticipating what the next series will be.

12. Niwlem says:

It should have been a one time deal. This is a recipe for disaster, same as ’13 Reasons Why’. If the source material DO NOT ASK for more, then leave it or create another thing, but working around it once more, when its own creator wasn’t sure… Yeah! Don’t. Now it all will get “bulky” and “plot-twisty”, to eventually become one more of the bunch. This is my personal opinion.

13. Kelly says:

I loved loved loved this series!!! I would really like to see another season. I think it’s a great show with amazing actors and would like to see more.
    Thanks !!

14. Melanie Taylor says:

This show was fantastic!! I hope there is another season but if there is not I just have to say it is so on point!! It just shows the reality of life!! It doesn’t matter if you have all the money in the world or are penniless there is no discrimination with domestic violence. Bullying is real. No one has a perfect life even if it seems like it to the rest of the world. The cast was amazing!! The story…phenomenal. Well done HBO well done!!

15. Wendy says:

I beg to differ. I want more!!!!