Comic-Con

David Harbour Talks Stranger Things End Date: 'We're Getting Out Before... '

Will Stranger Things be around long enough for us to see Eleven ring in her Sweet 16? Don’t count on it.

“We don’t have an open-ended thing like The Walking Dead,” co-star David Harbour admitted to me over the weekend when he dropped by TVLine’s Comic-Con interview suite (watch video above). “There is an end to all these characters… We’re going to give you something fun and then we’re going to get out before we’ve worn out our welcome. We have a specific story that we’re going to tell.”

Harbour went on to tease that series creators Matt and Ross Duffer divulged to him exactly when they planned to concluded Stranger Things, a tidbit he, sadly, declined to share with me. The actor was considerably more forthcoming about the show’s anticipated second season (bowing Oct. 27), a nine-episode run he predicts will polarize viewers.

“In general, I think people will be pretty excited about it, but I do think some people will expect something and not get it,” he shared. “Some people may want the same thing [as Season 1], but we’re not going to give them that. Literally, upon reading the first five minutes of the first script, I realized we opened up the world in an entirely new way. And these characters can go in an entirely new direction and have new arcs.”

1. Lee says:

This makes me happy. I really enjoy when creators and actors have a set story in mind so we know it won’t get all wonky and drawn out.

2. T.W.S.S. says:

Shows should end rather than wait around to be canceled.

3. TJ says:

I kind of have a feeling that there will be a “third and final season” a la “Bloodline”.

• dan says:

The creator of Bloodline said it was originally planned for five seasons, but Netflix decided that season three would be the end (and they cut the episode count from 13 to 10) when the beneficial tax break was cancelled by Florida legislature. The show just got too expensive to film in Key West. Hopefully Stranger Things can play out the way the Duffer brothers have it planned.

4. Steel City Spera says:

The shows creators recently stated in an interview that they have a story in mind that would span 4 or 5 seasons. That is their hope.

5. Jooshua says:

I think four seasons would be good.

6. Shannon says:

Glad to hear it. I hate when shows just keep scraping by, subsisting on tired storylines and manufactured, predictable drama that doesn’t stay true to the characters. It’s nice to know there’s a plan.

7. ABG says:

Cautiously waiting for S2. S1 was ok (hardly as good as the hype, but I did enjoy it!), but it seems like the type of show that completely loses itself after S1.

The fact that he acknowledges that S2 is gonna be “polarizing” ain’t that great of a sign.

• Normally I’d agree. But if you couple the polarising comment with the fact that they know exactly where it’s heading, it doesn’t seem too bad. Whatever happens in S2 is part f a greater master plan. So I guess it all depends on how much you trust the writers. After S1, I think I can safely say that I trust them to guide us on a very compelling journey. My excitement for S2 has not waned a bit!

8. Jason says:

They’ve said before that 4 or 5 seasons were what they expected. That doesn’t exactly put the end right around the corner. Especially not with the expected 15 month gap between seasons. But I’m always of the opinion that as long as a show ends on it’s own terms, I’m satisfied.