Supernatural Spinoff Kathryn Newton

Supernatural Spinoff: Kathryn Newton's Claire, 3 Others Join Backdoor Pilot

Jody Mills’ family of Wayward Sisters is growing.

The potential Supernatural spinoff has added Kathryn Newton (as Claire Novak), Katherine Ramdeen (Alex Jones) and Briana Buckmaster (Sheriff Donna Hanscum) to its cast. The trio will join Kim Rhodes (as Sheriff Jody Mills) in a backdoor pilot airing as a Season 13 episode of the long-running CW series.

Our sister site Deadline first reported the news, adding that Clark Backo (Designated Survivor) has also joined the offshoot as a newly created character: Patience Turner, an over-achiever whose life is turned upside down when she discovers she inherited a psychic gift from her estranged grandmother Missouri Moseley (to be reprised by Loretta Devine in an upcoming Supernatural episode).

In the project — penned by co-showrunner Andrew Dabb and writer Robert Berens — Jody and a group of troubled young women, all of them orphaned by supernatural tragedy, team up as a supreme monster-fighting force.

Ramdeen’s runaway Alex has been under Jody’s care since Season 9, when the sheriff took in the teen after she was kidnapped by vampires. Newton’s Claire, who is the orphaned daughter of Castiel’s vessel Jimmy, joined the household in Season 10 and has since gone on to become a hunter.

Supernatural Spinoff Briana BuckmasterBuckmaster’s Donna, meanwhile, was introduced in Season 9 as the sheriff of Stillwater, Minnesota. After learning about the world of monsters, she and Jody became friends and allies.

EPs/directors Robert Singer and Phil Sgriccia will serve as producers on Wayward Sisters, alongside Dabb and Berens.

Supernatural Season 13 premieres on Thursday, Oct. 12 at 8/7c on The CW, where it will now lead into Season 6 of Arrow.

1. The Wiz says:

It’s like they hate Felecia Day or something. Why bring in new characters when they could bring in more fan favorites. Not that I care about the characters already booked for this show. But if it had Charlie I would watch.

• Ted says:

Charlie was super obnoxious…nothing more than a tidal wave of pop culture references and hackneyed hacker tropes. In other words, a typical Felicia Day character. Nothing against Day the person/actress, but the character really brought nothing vaguely interesting to the proceedings. Glad she’s not going to clutter up this show.

• Carla Krae says:

Charlie is dead. And practically, Felicia Day is a brand new mom and probably a *little busy*.

2. Sam says:

This is the only Supernatural spin-off I’ve ever wanted. I couldn’t of dreamed of a better line-up of characters. Not to be overly dramatic, but if this doesn’t get picked up I’ll die.

3. Missy says:

I think we were all expecting this news, but it’s fantastic to have it locked down

Also, I’d forgotten all about Missouri Moseley, what with it being like 10yrs since we last saw her. HOW EXCITING! And the new character sounds interesting :-D

4. Carla Krae says:

Missouri!!

5. Jim says:

The biggest news here, to me, is that Loretta Devine will finally be returning to Supernatural. Missouri’s pretty much their only early ally to still be alive! I was wondering if she’d ever pop up again.

6. Sounds cool. Just make sure it’s not the same formula as the original. That’s what’s killed two Criminal Minds spin offs.

7. Carrie says:

This is awesome. I love both female sheriffs and I love that the granddaughter of Missouri Moseley, a fan favorite we haven’t seen since Season 1, will be a part of this. This spin-off has so much potential. I’m looking forward to it.

8. kate says:

yes. yes. yes.

9. geegee says:

This is the best way to go about an SPN spin off: characters that are organic to SPN, but that can still offer many new and unique things on their own, a completely different but still familiar style.
    The greatest thing about this is all of the main ladies are so well developed in the show that no one will or should expect them to be “Dean and Sam v 2.0”, which would be the case if they introduced a whole new set of people.
    I really want this to be good and succeed so much.

10. Kriston Troy Brannan says:

I’d still like to see them add the witch twins, who are very interesting characters in their own right and seem to fit in well with the overarching themes of the show. Other than that, I really don’t have any complaints about how this spin-off is developing so far.

11. ami says:

so glad they got Donna on board. tho i’m confused if the show would center on jody or on claire and alex (like…are claire & alex the Sisters version of sam& dean?? idk how i feel about that). I WANT MORE INFO ON THIS.

• lrdslvrhnd says:

I’m kinda seeing it as “Supernatural: Young Hunters” with the Sheriffs (well, mostly Jody lol) teaching the girls how to become better, more effective hunters.
      Of course, this could be because I’d love a “Hunter’s Academy” or somesuch spinoff, with retired/injured hunters training the next generation.

• Lilu says:

I would looove a Hunter’s Academy haha. But I wouldn’t say no to “middle aged women team up to fillet vampires while also raising Dramatic Teens” plot either lol

Although I guess Alex and Claire aren’t teens anymore, they must be at least 20 by now…

12. lrdslvrhnd says:

Stoked about Sheriff Donna joining!

13. Jasker says:

So they are kind of re doing Buffy without the chosen one? Or will Claire hunter barbie extraordinaire be elevated to that position. At least we will get to see Missouri Moseley it will be great to at least see her again.

14. Erick Voshel says: