Comic-Con
Tom Welling Lucifer Season 3

Smallville's Tom Welling Joins Lucifer, His First TV Role Since Clark Kent

You can file this casting news under “Super.”

Smallville alum Tom Welling is finally returning to TV with a series regular role on Fox’s Lucifer, TVLine has learned, and it sounds as if his character will get the Devil himself rather fired up.

When the supernatural-tinged procedural returns for Season 3, Welling will play Marcus Pierce, an accomplished police lieutenant who is strategic, reserved and well-respected — that is, everything Lucifer is not. But perhaps even more annoying are all the things the gents have in common, both being charming, charismatic and “handsome as hell.”

As you can imagine, when Pierce starts developing a “connection” with fellow detective Chloe Decker, Lucifer’s devilish traits are inflamed.

In addition to his 10-season run as Clark Kent/just-barely Superman, Welling’s TV acting credits include Judging Amy. He also executive-produced The CW’s Hellcats. More recently, he starred in the 2016 indie The Choice.

Welling’s casting comes on the heels of Smallville scene partner Erica Durance joining another DC Comics series, The CW’s Supergirl.

Lucifer Season 3 premieres Monday, Oct. 2, now airing at 8/7c (leading into the Marvel mutant drama The Gifted).

1. Dennis says:

Amazing!!!!

2. Michelle says:

Are the folks at Lucifer trying to kill us? Ellis AND Welling? This is the story of how I died.

• Edyn says:

I cannot wait. I want a sneak peek right now. Just a little clip of them interacting…nothing much…I loved Smallville and happy they made it to 10 seasons, but would be better if Welling, Durance, and Rosenbaum would meet again in Supergirl. Talk about an awesome cast. Rosenbaum played an excellent Lex on Smallville and has done voices for DC cartoons. It would be great to get them together again.

• Jooshua says:

I can’t wait until people start to ship them and their ship name will be Tom Elling

• Edyn says:

No ships. I hate seeing that on comments. They will be adversaries for Chloe, not ship. It should be funny because Lucifer knows what Chloe is, so why should he care? Purely as friends? He could never have an intimate relationship with her.

3. Yes!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally!!!

4. LovingThis says:

Yes Please… I can’t wait

5. Sandy Moschetti Young says:

Omg, that is great news. I think he is a great actor, have missed him.

6. Charlie says:

OMG I have to start watching that show right now

7. nolus says:

This is great. Loving this

8. kaliber says:

Finally! Glad Tom Welling got a new role.

9. Muffy says:

Still looks good! Glad, see Tom back on tv. I hope he directs some episodes too.

10. Fans were like “cast Welling as Superman in Supergirl”.

Reality was like, “nah, we’ll cast him on a better show that airs on the same night as Supergirl.”

• Dee says:

Well, it looks like I now have a reason to watch Lucifer. Rather ironic, it seems to me, that he’ll be on directly opposite Supergirl. I like it. Too bad, though, that he and Erica will be competing in the same time slot.

• Is it the same? I wasn’t sure if Lucifer was on at the same time as Supergirl or if it was Gotham. I’m not in the States, so here they air at different times. Gotham and Supergirl in fact air on the same channel, Warner Channel, heh.

• Edyn says:

In the states, it was Gotham, then Lucifer. I watched them both and Supergirl was on at 8 pm here on the CW. My DVR was always filled to the brim between Lucifer, DC shows, CW shows and Syfy. Nothing else mattered.

• Edyn says:

Throw in the premium channels in there too. HBO, STARZ, Showtime and it was packed. When a show’s season ended, another show began. I always had something to watch.

11. PatriciaLee says:

Kevin Alejandro’s everyman Dan is still my #2 fav.

12. Joey Padron says:

Amazing casting news for Lucifer’s new season! Happy Tom will be back on TV in one of my favorite shows! I can’t wait to see him on the show in season 3!

13. T.W.S.S. says:

Series regular! Looks like I’ve got some bingeing to do.

14. Joshua D Weasenforth says:

Smallville, the best show of all time had amazing chemistry & the best cast. Lucifer is about to ascend a notch in stats.

15. Sabrina says:

I’m so excited to see Tom in another role & will definitely be watching this show now. I’ve always enjoyed the Smallville episodes where he played someone different from Clark so I am looking forward to his role on this show.

16. NachoGoodman says:

Wow he’s still attractive AF missed him after smallville

17. Paula says:

This means I have a really good reason to give Lucifer a try (because I have never liked Tom Ellis – blame the series Rush). Have always adored Tom Welling, though!

18. Jbj says:

Um, Welling and Ellis have their first names, height and hair coloring in common. Ellis has a ways to go in regard to aesthetics and charm (and Welling isn’t even known for the latter).

19. I need to start watch Lucifer show

• bobbie says:

Yeah you do and if I remember correctly both seasons are on hulu, get on it and thank the casting people for introducing you to a fun and interesting show.

20. Kasandra Clackley says:

I am looking forward to seeing him on the TV once again Break a leg in new roll

21. Shastri says:

beautiful actor

22. Elaine Harrison says:

That is absolutely wonderful. I was a avid fan of Smallville
    I love Tom Welling, have been waiting for him to come back to TV. I can’t wait.

23. Cassandra says:

This should really be good! Competition for Lucifer! Tom looks fabulous by the way! I can’t wait for the new season to begin!!

24. Jennifer says:

Yaaaa… He is my absolute favorite! Looks like I’ll have to start watching Lucifer!!💗💗💗 #tomwelling #love

25. Aliya sheriff says:

Omggggggg. 😱😱😱!!! This is going to be greatttttttttttt 😍😍😍😍will get to admire him moreee lolz ..m glad he’s back on TV shows m just happy hope he continues he’s a great actor n person that’s what I admire most about Tom …

26. Gingerbee says:

Always a big fan of Welling’s portrayal of the struggling Clark Kent at the same time aggravated with the executives at DC for not letting him grow-up to be Superman. It was always such a tease. Lucifer was missing something maybe this is the answer. The last Lucifer episode confused me. I had too much going on to pickup on the nuances so what are we cued for come fall?