Comic-Con
Once Upon A Time Season 7 Spoilers

Once Upon a Time @ Comic-Con: Season 7's Secret Roles Revealed, a 'Prominent LGBTQ Storyline' and More

Once Upon a Time fans can finally put names to some of Season 7’s mysterious new faces.

The ABC drama’s cast — returning players Lana Parrilla, Colin O’Donoghue and Robert Carlyle, along with new additions Dania Ramirez (Devious Maids), Gabrielle Anwar (Burn Notice) and Andrew J. West (The Walking Dead) and executive producers Adam Horowitz, Eddy Kitsis and David H. Goodman — assembled Saturday for its San Diego Comic-Con panel, where some major secrets were revealed about the upcoming “reboot”reinterpretation“:

* First things first: Anwar will play the “new wicked stepmother, Lady Tremaine” (aka the mother of Ramirez’s “new” Cinderella).

* Mekia Cox is playing Tiana (aka the heroine of The Princess and the Frog).

* English actress Rose Reynolds is playing a new version of Alice “because no one watched the [Wonderland] spinoff,” Kitsis revealed/confessed.

* Adelaide Kane (Reign) is playing Cinderella’s stepsister Drizella, and according to Kitsis, she’s “super wicked.”

* “We had a plan for the original show that ran six seasons — at a point, we felt like it was time for some characters to get some happy endings,” Kitsis said, adding that nothing from the past six seasons will be erased. “We are going to take a few new characters and go on a new journey, and we hope you’ll come along with us.”

* “I’d like to know more about Hook’s mother, which is something we haven’t touched upon much yet,” O’Donoghue said. (Yet, eh?)

* “You’re going to see the same versions of Rumple and Hook and the Queen,” the EPs cleared up. “Henry wants to visit other storybooks with different stories and characters. He falls in love with Cinderella, much like the romance his grandparents had. He gets into some trouble and calls out for help from his family. [Hook, Rumple and Regina] come to his rescue.”

* Regarding exited vets Jennifer Morrison (who will be back for one early epsiode), Ginny Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Jared Gilmore, Emilie de Ravin and Rebecca Mader, Horowitz said, “It’s our hope that we’ll be seeing a lot of them pop up from time to time. We miss them as much as you do.”

* Fans were shown the first two scenes of Season 7: Young Henry (played by Gilmore) tells Regina he needs to leave Storybrooke in order to find out what his own story is and where he belongs (after finding hundreds of other books in the sorcerer’s mansion. Did you know there’s a French Snow White? And Italian?”) “How long will you be gone?” Regina asks, to which Henry replies, “As long as it takes.” He then hops on a motorcycle — which August taught him how to ride — before riding off through a portal to a new realm.

* We then see West’s grown-up Henry riding his motorcycle in another realm, “years later,” at which point he accidentally crashes into Cinderella’s carriage. #MeetCute

* “I didn’t know I was auditioning for Cinderella,” Ramirez said. “I loved [the show], so I was super excited.” She got into the audition room, still in her vacation clothes, to see if she had chemistry with West. (Spoiler alert: She did!)

* “I was also on vacation, and I got a call from my agent,” Anwar recalled of her involvement with the show. “I said, ‘Once Upon a Time?’ and my 13-year-old daughter went, ‘What?!’ As I’m talking to my agent, my daughter is grabbing me going, ‘Hook! Hook!’ So I said yes. I didn’t know what I was saying yes to, but I owed it to my daughter.”

* Asked about featuring a “prominent LGBTQ storyline,” Kitsis answered, “I would say that we are planning to do it this year.”

Your thoughts on these latest reveals? General hopes for Season 7 (premiering Friday, Oct. 6)? Drop ’em all in a comment below.

Once Upon a Time Video: Who Are Lana and Colin
Playing in Season 7? Are Emma/Hook Still Happy?

1. Jen says:

Funny that Kitsis mentions no one watching OUATIW because that could be the same case for the reboot. Wonderland could end up having better ratings then S7 for all we know.

• Jack says:

I knew this comment would come. Fanbase is so predictable, lol. I’m gonna give this reboot a chance.

• Jay Reynolds says:

I watched Wonderland. I won’t be watching this reboot. Sounds totally uninteresting.

• Lambsilencer says:

That’s a bit of a bummer, and I think a bit unfair to Sophie Lowe, whom I actually liked in the role and would have loved to see returning at some point. I think it’s not her fault that the show tanked.
      It’s not that Kitsiss says that, but the comment leaves a bit of a shallow taste in my mouth.

• truetigress says:

Glad I wasn’t the only one. I watched “Wonderland” I enjoyed “Wonderland” so basically he lied with his snarky attitude. I wouldn’t consider us fans… “no one”.

• brandydanforth81 says:

Wonderland wa little watched and low rates so that’s he said,A&E don’t come snider those few did watch ” no one” but fact is not many people watched it

2. Vari says:

So let me guess THE NEW BOOK is basically about Cinderella and his Prince Charming is Henry. So Snow White book closed???????

3. Brennan says:

Where’s the trailer? A poster? The clips they showed?

4. Vari says:

I love to see Emma and Hook with a child of their own. But dreading to see what happens to Emma and her parents, and if the child and Emma are seperated or something

5. Brennan says:

So if this stepsister is Drizella, will we finally see Anastasia from the Wonderland spin off? Or is there no hope for that ever getting cleared up..

6. Shaun says:

Is that Motorcycle powered by Magic?Because he’ll be lacking gas stations in other realms.

7. Cris says:

I really am fine with this since Regina will be on and we get to see her helping Henry. She’s, by far, the best developed character and her journey has always been fun to watch. I’m also really interested to see what Robert will do with his character because Gold has kind of been in an endless cycle. I really am fine with no more Emma. That character has been going downhill for a few seasons. I do feel bad for Colin because his character has been tied to a relationship and there’s not much outside of it.

8. Lysh says:

I guess it would make sense to have other books’ characters look different. I wonder if this means that these other storybooks have different authors then or if Henry is the one and only, like the Buffy of storytelling. I’m trying to trust A&E. Everyone always freaks out and then it turns out to be no big deal. I’m going to miss the originals, but I’m looking forward to the new actors and stories.

9. ninergrl6 says:

Loving all of this! I’ve hoped for Tiana on OUAT for a long time. I LOVE the idea of Addy being wicked. I felt Cinderella’s story wasn’t given it’s due on OUAT in the past, so I’m thrilled to hear that they’re seemingly fleshing it out more.

10. Luna says:

ugh, queerbaiting again? even before the show starts?

• Ian says:

yeah, somehow it makes the headline, when it was a barely asked and super vaguely answered question, and you just know it won’t amount to anything.

11. 2 versions of TWO different characters? sounds like nothing but televised fanfiction rough drafts lol! NO ONE watched Wonderland? what, when it had better ratings than season 6? the Good luck, this sounds like a POS…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The OP made me curious, so I just checked. WONDERLAND was drawing 3.35 million viewers and a 0.8 rating when ABC dropped the axe after Season 1, Episode 12 (of 13). ONCE Season 6 averaged 3.2 million and a 0.9 rating. So, fewer viewers (after 100+ episodes on air), slightly better (all-important) demo rating. –Mgmt.

12. Missy says:

They better be continuing Ruby’s LGBTQI storyline… and not starting another one.
    It’s going to be difficult enough to get used to our NEW Cinderella and Alice. Who both got short-changed in their original incarnations.

I had been wondering if August taught Henry to ride and then gifted him with the motorcycle. Nice to know I was right 😊

13. kirads09 says:

“Mekia Cox is playing Tiana (aka the heroine of The Princess and the Frog).” – didn’t we already have her and she was part of Neal’s storyline?

English actress Rose Reynolds is playing a new version of Alice “because no one watched the [Wonderland] spinoff,” Kitsis revealed/confessed. – NOT TRUE. OUATIW had a lot to offer and that comment is a slap in the face to that spinoff and it’s fans.

OUAT may turn out to be the cautionary tale for how to ruin a once great and promising show, as
    well as basically waste incredible talent such as Robert and Lana. This information makes me want to tune out, not tune into it!

14. SamofSherwood says:

Oh Once, I was not thrilled about the MANY changes to come but I remained cautiously optimistic. Those hopes are becoming dashed, I’ve watched this show since the very first teaser, I loved it but this just sounds silly.
    Losing so many cast was going to require some creativity, I get that, I could have put up with adult Henry, a new city (after a period of adjustment) & new stories but…. doing Cinderella AGAIN! I’m sorry but that is just lame, I know Once gets berated for their lack of diversity & POC characters getting killed off (poor Merlin, I liked him) & also for the lack of LGBT stories, is season seven a do over? Do they think they can fix all the problems in one go?
    Why Cinderella? Jessy Schram did a lovely portrayal, why do we need another one? there are so many Disney characters.
    I’ve nothing against a Latino Cinderella at all, but why didn’t they do it in the first place? now it just cheapens the original for me.
    I’m intrigued by how they’ll deal with Jennifer’s exit but, Henry riding off on a motorcycle to find his own story, please, if he were in trouble, the FIRST person to help would be Emma, how are they going to explain that away?
    I’m in it for the first two/three a pirate themed, Killian centric episode, hell yeah! after that, I’m really not sure…

• Saif says:

Emma is pregnant so she sent hook to help? That’s a nice twist!

• SamofSherwood says:

Hmm, well pregnancy didn’t really stop Snow, if Emma is pregnant, Jennifer only does that one episode & the three of them aren’t seen together again, the CaptainSwan fans will go postal!

15. It would be cool if the show approached these new versions with the caveat that the ones we’re seen before were the “Disney” versions while the ones we’ll see now will be the original Grimm fairy tale versions (i.e. the one in which Cinderella’s stepsisters chop off their feet to make them fit in the glass slipper).

i’m hoping there will be something like that, as in, “different authors wrote different variations of these stories”.

It would be akin to having a Superman from Earth 1 and a Superman from Earth 2.

• I would definitely love the Grimm fairy tales – yes more gory-like but still the best. Although originally OUAT was more Disney like to maintain the younger viewers, it is now such a popular show among the adults, that maybe they want to cater towards a more maturer plot.

Your way of variations makes perfect sense, I hope that it will be so. I’ve heard the main theme is Belief. We all have the power to change something or achieve something if we believe….

• I hope they find the root characters here. This notion of them not being real because they’re being fictional and having alternate selves is creepy, but good source for drama.

16. Butch says:

From the pieces of the story they have dropped it sounds like Henry goes to different storybook, gets into trouble, gets help from Regina, Hook, and Rumple, who join him in the new storybook he has gone to, there is a new curse, they are all stuck in the new storybook perhaps with no memory of where they came from. Therefore everyone who is not on the show any more are all alive with their happy endings or beginings with Henry, Regina, Hook, and Rumple on a new adventure.

17. Brandon says:

I am definitely giving this reboot a chance! I wish more people simply enjoyed things for what they are because when you start hating on thing it ruins it for the rest of us with an open mind. I’m honestly just so glad Regina is returning.

Cinderella again isn’t so bad, it actually seems intriguing since the new actors can bring a new take to it. The first few seasons dealt with Snow White and the Evil Queens whole story and several flashbacks. This really is no different and actually seems to stay pretty true to the show while also creatively telling new stories. I’ve never been more excited to not know where the story is headed and personally hope that the Friday Night potential ratings don’t make this the last season. Just have an open mind people. It really isn’t cool to purposely hate everything people do. Don’t watch it if you don’t want, remember it how you will. People have done that with Greys Anatomy and it’s still going strong with 14 seasons. People enjoy tv for what it is, it’s not always everyone’s cup of tea and that’s okay.

That all being said, is it October yet???

• Simply, yet beautifully put. Well done!!!

I’m like you – don’t criticize something that isn’t even out yet – it could be something way better than in the past – and you’d might miss out on it. And I can’t wait to see where this all goes!!! And October can’t come soon enough!!!

18. Dominique says:

wow, they’re really not letting it all go, aren’t they? they clearly don’t care about what the fans want, they just toss in more and more nonsense and expect people to still love it.
    don’t have much hope for their LGBTQ storyline either. they tried this twice and failed miserably.

19. Chris says:

Nobody watched Wonderland because they pitted it against NCIS, it didn’t stand a chance. It should have aired during the flagship’s mid year hiatus.

• skyebright8 says:

Agree, ABC was dumb to have it playing the same time as OUAT, the whole point was it was like Agent Carter was to AoS and meant to be played when the main show was taking a break.

• PatriciaLee says:

Some huge important executive took the blame for Wonderland’s season showing then tanking, instead of waiting for off season, as originally planned. Everyone was saying wait, but he didn’t want to. I guess he believed he was on a hot roll, and found out reality.

20. officesandy says:

So other worlds/dimensions come about by having different magical storybooks? Does that mean everything is rooted in our world/reality and we write other realities? This magic thing is weird. How did they never cross paths with those other stories/world/dimensions?

21. Shannon says:

“Did you know there was a French Snow White? And Italian?” Um yeah actually I did, I just googled snow white one day and there it was on Wikipedia

22. Matty Si says:

I just hope this prominent LGBTQ storyline involves men. I feel there are a lot more lesbians on tv than gay men. Not including everything going on in OITNB.

I’m getting more and more excited about this season though.

• Matthew Lawler says:

Given the fact that every single new cast member that’s been announced his female I don’t see the chance of there being a LGBT queue storyline/romance concerning two men what would’ve been a bolder move then having Henry fall for a new version of Cinderella is if Henry had turned out to be gay or bisexual and his true love was a prince

23. SamofSherwood says:

Because they had a full cast 😏

24. Lily says:

I really really want Hook and Emma to have a little daughter that would be so cute.

25. Matthew Lawler says:

I’m not holding my breath for A quality lgbtq romance or storyline given the way they botched every attempt in the past with Aurora and Mulan then gave us an out of nowhere what episode romance between Dorthy and Ruby

26. Matthew Lawler says:

Given how many characters on the show were never prominently featured in short changed to simply be recasting a new versions of characters we’ve seen before cries of desperation and that they ran out of ideas

27. Michael Izquierdo says:

I am a Oncer. I have watched every season of the show. Yes my heart aches for some the departures but they have there life to think about. I am Happy for them. Season 7? I am looking forward to it, I would like to know whatever to Mal and her daughter? Did they ever find her father? Could we persue this story?

28. * “I think it would be interesting to see [Hook and Emma having children],” O’Donoghue said. “Hook and Emma love each other, and they’re married, so I think the next logical step would be … to have a baby.”

Question is – how will this be made possible in the show, when Emma won’t be there? Well I guess somehow she will be but not really. I would REALLY love to see them have a baby together.

As for the “reboot” I think it’s a neat idea. I like the idea that A&E had about closing the book (Snow White’s??) and moving on to other new stories. I also like the fact that there will be a different version of Cinderella – although I enjoyed Jessy Schram as her, I didn’t particularly liked that version of Cinderella. I think this new one will be better. I’m happy to hear a new version of Alice will be played, and Tiana will be added as well. I’m hoping for more Brothers Grimm kind of stories, as they, to me, are the best. As for the other new cast members – I think it will tie together nicely – it’s still in the early stages so who knows what it will turn out to be like. Yes, OUAT 1-6 was fantastic on its own, but it is time to move on differently. I love the fact that we see Henry grown up, following his mother’s footsteps,with a wife and a kid and that his step-dad will be around! And Colin O’Donoghue in a uniform is, um, …WOW!!!!

I support Adam and Eddie – they’re great writers, and they have a great imagination! Can’t wait till October 6th!!! OUAT part 2 revamped – “rejuvenated”!!!

29. Derek says:

Let me guess… Two sexy lesbian women…

30. Matthew Lawler says:

I don’t see the point of new versions of character is that of already been on the show alas the new versions are going to interact with the original versions and also if there’s multiple versions of the same characters that are any of them real? How are they going to explain to Henry aged and none of the other returning characters have an is there any chance we will see grown-up versions of all the babies like Cinderella’s child Arouras child baby Neal

31. Deon J. Austin says:

I think that it would be good to see Hook and Emma expecting a baby even if she is in just one episode. It let’s viewers know that things are going good for both of them.

32. brandydanforth81 says:

I’m looking Foward to see thier take on Tinana /Princess & Frog,not rehashes of Wonderland( they already it and it failed so why do it again?)& Cinderllas.But I’m eager to see Dsnia as Cinderllas.

33. Matthew Lawler says:

So after viewing the trailer I think I figured out what the prominent LGBTQ story/romance will be after two failed attempts at true love with a man Regina moves to Seattle to open a lesbian bar

34. brady1987 says:

I’m so glad that Tiana will be appearing on the show. There are lots of things they can do with the story of ‘The Princess and the Frog’ and its characters. I’m really hoping to hear some casting on Prince Naveen, Dr. Facilier the Shadow Man, and maybe even Mama Odie.

• ninergrl6 says:

That movie has an abundance of interesting characters for OUAT to play with: all those you mentioned plus Ray, Charlotte, Tiana’s parents, etc. It could be a whole “book” in itself. I hope Tiana’s story isn’t just a one-off episode but something that has time to develop organically throughout the season.

35. Mercedes says:

It’s a unique idea to take the audience on to see new characters in other places, however I really dislike having version 2 of multiple characters. I’m very excited to see more of Colin, Lana and Robert, as well as, Tiana. However, overall I’m worried about season 7, but I’m a huge fan of OUAT so I’m here to the end. I’m very interested to see how they will write Emma and Belle out of the story. I Jennifer was still in the show then I was really hope for a CaptainSwan baby, however with her exit it wouldn’t feel right. Also, if it happens I really don’t want them to age the child up.

36. Jennifer Lynn says:

My Children will no longer watch this with a Gay storyline,First of all its nasty to do that to children that watch this show,what are they gonna do make a man be cindrella? gross! Sick of all this lgbt crap,these are fairytale chatacters

37. RollCinan says: