Comic-Con
Con Man Series Syfy

Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion's Web Series Con Man Gets TV Home on Syfy

Con Man — “a celebration of sci-fi fandom,” starring Firefly alumni Alan Tudyk and Nathan Fillion — will bring said party to Syfy, which has acquired Seasons 1 and 2 of the web series.

The announcement was made on Friday evening during Syfy’s “Con Man: Cons and Fandom Culture” panel at San Diego Comic-Con, by creator, star and moderator Tudyk.

Set for a September Syfy premiere, the Emmy-nominated, short-form web series is loosely based on the post-Firefly careers of Tudyk and Fillion, following the journey of Wray Nerely, a washed-up, former sci-fi celebrity who revisits his glory days on the convention circuit, while Fillion’s character, Jack Moore, goes on to become an A-list celeb.

Watch a trailer below, plus our 2016 Comic-Con Q&A with Tudyk and Fillion:

1. Regina says:

Perfect place for this show and the bigger platform will let others enjoy the fun. I was an original backer & I’m glad I helped give this project its start.

2. laurelnev says:

I love Tudyk, but since they killed Wash, he’s become the modern-day Paula Marshall–any show he joins gets canceled soon after. Suburbatory lasted when Alan was only cameoing; as soon as they increased his role, it got the ax. Dollhouse…Alpha joins the cast, the show goes off the schedule. And what was the last one called…Powerless? Don’t get me wrong, I love him, but I’ve learned not to get too attached to anything he’s on! If this makes fun of all this, it COULD be the thing to finally break the curse, and hysterical to boot!

• Cassie says:

He wasn’t to blame for Suburgatory’s failure. Casting Malin Ackerman in a different show (Trophy Wife, which was good on its own) and no longer exploring the maternal abandonment was a factor. Also, ABC just sucks.

• jlannis says:

That’s not how Suburgatory worked. He was a regular on seasons 1 & 2, in almost every episode. On the shortened season 3, he only appeared in a few episodes. The loss of Alan’s character, as well as Parker Young’s character, actually hurt the show. But the ratings were poor (despite being a great show), so it was on the outs no matter what.

3. Lysh says:

I remember signing up for Venmo for this but could only handle the first two episodes. It just seemed to make fun of fan culture instead of embracing it and then something about a wheelchair, I don’t remember. I still love Fillion and Felicia and I hope Tudyk still gets a voice role in every Disney movie for the rest of forever.

4. lrdslvrhnd says:

This makes me very happy, I’ve been wanting to watch this.

5. c-mo says:

Finally! The Comic-Con channel experiment was maddening.

6. Jaha says:

This is exciting. Hopefully we will be getting a third season soon after.

7. wooo hoo! i can finally see season 2!!