Comic-Con

Stargate Origins Series to Launch New MGM Digital Platform — Watch Teaser

MGM will explore Stargate Origins, as a means of launching its dedicated digital platform and fan experience, called Stargate Command.

MGM’s first premium digital series will follow a young Catherine Langford (played on SG-1 by Elizabeth Hoffman, pictured) as she embarks on an unexpected adventure to unlock the mystery of what lies beyond the Stargate in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness. This 10-episode event series, produced by MGM’s Digital Group and entertainment studio New Form, will be directed by Mercedes Bryce Morgan and written by Mark Ilvedson and Justin Michael Terry.

Casting for the live-action series is underway, with filming expected to begin in August. Watch a teaser trailer above.

“We’ve been eager to revisit the Stargate franchise, and create an all-new story that honors the founding mythos and gives loyal fans more mystery and adventure,” said Kevin Conroy, President of Digital & New Platforms at MGM, in a statement. “We view Stargate Origins as a ‘thank you’ to fans who have been keeping the spirit of the franchise alive for nearly 25 years.

For more information on the series and digital platform, fans can visit StargateCommand.co.

1. RedReddington says:

I’d MUCH rather see a proper ending to Universe. I guess this is better than nothing, still kind of disappointing.

• anon says:

I’d much rather forget universe existed and destroyed the stargate franchise. Stargate ended with atlantis

• Temperance says:

Universe was *terrible* for most of the first season. Then it got really quite good by the end. I’m a huge Atlantis fan, and I’d love to see a followup series to Atlantis,

• jericho says:

This. The last few episodes of Universe were turning it around. But alas. I’d rather just see them bring back a reboot of the original series at this point.

• RedReddington says:

The second half of season 1 and all of season 2 was fantastic. I’m just going to assume you gave up watching after 2 or 3 episodes.

• Brian Bauer says:

SG-1 and Atlantis had a sense of humor that was lacking in Universe. I feel like they saw the success of the BSG re-imagining and tried too hard to copy the feel of that show.

2. “in order to save Earth from unimaginable darkness.”

Hopefully this show will be connected to the original series, and hopefully that threat will be something new, not connected to the Goaul’d, which had “laid dormant”, and whatnot, until now, leading to a full-on revival set post SG-1/Atlantis/Universe on Earth.

3. kaliber says:

A “Stargate Originals” page title, guys? Is Joseph Morgan joining now that his show is ending?

4. Kristina says:

Oh I am all over this!!!

5. J.B. says:

*Another* paid streaming service?! And for just ONE show?! Reruns of the old shows don’t count to me, I have the DVDs which in today’s media environment is becoming rare.

6. gcw07 says:

Wait so now she went through the Stargate prior to Jackson figuring it out? As much as I love Stargate, I’m not willing to pay money for a new streaming service.

• That’s not what this says. What this 100 minute movie split into 10, ten-minutes long, episodes might follow is how she got the government to fund the Stargate program.

There is a line that goes from her father discovering the Stargate in Giza to it ending upt inside Cheyenne Mountain. I assume that is what this prequel will follow.

7. Dominique says:

oh my god this is everything!! i really hope this will lead to some sort of revival of the original three shows, if only just to wrap up some storylines.
    aaaaahh!!!!

8. Big Mike says:

Cut the cord they said. It’ll be cheaper they said. Pfft, yeah right.

9. Brody77 says:

Errrr…. Just throwing SG1 and movie continuity out the window then?
    Daniel Jackson figured out the gate, so this is pretty lazy.
    Just carry on from sg1 and even tie off the awful universe if need be.

10. KM says:

I want a stargate SG1 reboot with Michael Shanks as the boss man and a stargate atlantis season 6, i never been a fan of stargat universe.

11. Mark says:

As we all know she unlocked nothing in the end this was already addressed in the first movie and countless times in the TV series so what more could they possible want to tell — now if it was the origins of how the Ancients built the gate system and the ancient civilisation then I would be in. Otherwise this origin story is a waste give me the end to Universe or the already written SG1 and Atlantis movies would better serve the fandom at this point, to finish off existing stories and introduce new teams for more adventures in other parts of the universe. Possibly with the Furlings one of the other ancients races discussed on all the shows but never actually met.

12. Hank says:

Another streaming service and another useless prequel where you know what can and can’t happen(if they stick to continuity) Yipeeee! But hey, maybe it will lead to a full on series, preferably not a reboot or remake or redo or prequel or crappy Universe like thing, or movie like the previous two SG1 movies, so there is that.

13. Kevin says:

I hope that on this new streaming service, they stream the first seven seasons of SG1 in full HD like The X Files in the past on Netflix. I’d consider that a genuine thank you. Loved the characters of SG1 foremost, but also the action. Here’s hoping Origins lives up to it.

14. Eric says:

Amazing news! Not happy about another service, we already have to pay for the new CBS service for Star Trek and now another for this? I am still excited! I hope it is filmed in the same atmosphere of Universe, they pulled the plug on that show right when it as skyrocketing! Thank you for this.

15. Fido says:

Still waiting for the Stargate Universe Eli’s web series (in the form of a diary/blog type thing) which follows his attempt to repair his life pod in those dwindling number of days.

16. Liz says:

Well, I fell in love with Stargate SG1 With Jack O’Neill & Sam Carter (and Daniel & Teal’c of course), so I love that show. Everything else after that, well… And before that now? Do they even think of sg1 as a sequel, or then just the movie, or what?

17. Ken Lu says:

so… we’ll just be watching them try to figure out the stargate for the entire series? they didn’t get to activate it until daniel arrived and since this is set way before he was even born it’ll be mostly them trying to figure it out?