Exclusive
Code Black Season 3

Code Black Adds Nashville and Scream Actors, Subtracts Melanie Chandra

Code Black is getting an infusion of fresh blood as it prepares to weather another cast departure.

TVLine has learned exclusively that series regular Melanie Chandra, who has played lesbian resident Malaya Pineda since the CBS drama’s first season, will not be returning for Season 3.

Helping to fill the void will be Tyler Perez (Scream), who is set to recur as Diego, a rich and privileged charmster who has been handed everything in his life — including his first year residency at Angels Memorial. The hospital is even allowing him to make a documentary film of his experiences in the hospital.

Additionally, Nashville alum Chaley Rose will guest star in the Season 3 premiere as Pepper, a new resident who’s smart enough to get into the Angels residency program, but possibly not fully equipped for the intensity of the busiest ER in the nation. Terrified of making a mistake, she makes many and has much to learn. In fact, her first mistake is on her very first day and very nearly kills her.

The duo join previously announced Code Black newbie Moon Bloodgood (Falling Skies), who will recur as Rox, a brassy and competitive paramedic who thinks fast on her feet and doesn’t scare easily. Heroic and full of command, she finds a new challenge in her ride-along partner, Dr. Willis (Rob Lowe).

Thoughts on Chandra’s exit? Will you miss Pineda? Are you curious about how the two new residents will fit in? Hit the comments!

1. Matt says:

I seem to remember this show shedding it’s more diverse cast members after its first season also, not a very attractive pattern building here.

• Not really. They fired an Actor of Indian heritage and a white woman then hired two black actors and two females and a white guy.

• Iris says:

Over the course of two seasons, they axed four members from the main cast, three out of four were female, the other one a MOC. They also killed off four heavily recurring & main characters, all of them female, including two WOC.
      In season 2, the female lead was flanked with a white male co-lead, the two other main female characters were the only ones without a story-arc and the only ones who sat out more than one episode. The two other main who were absent from an episode were black men.
      As soon as the Code Black showrunner was in charge of Quantico, he axed three WOC from the main cast.
      There’s indeed an ugly pattern building here.

• James says:

Mion Bloodgood is of Dutch-Irish-Korean descent.

• Iris says:

That’s one Asian actor back, for two Asian actors gone.
          That’s one actress back, for four actresses gone.
          And that’s the male lead, Rob Lowe, getting a new partner who’s about 15 years younger than his partner in S2, Marcia Gay Harden.
          A tree can’t hide the forest of shrinking diversity.

2. RichieS says:

I don’t care how they work it into the script but they have to let Chaley Rose sing on this show. Her voice is almost as beautiful as she is.

3. Uno says:

Well at least they didn’t kill her like the other two ladies of color they had.. They just stabbed her and almost sexually assaulted her… But we can’t complain.. Cuz that would mean we’re making it about race again.

• Sarah says:

Wow, I didn’t connect the dots until you spelled it out. So crazy. Im just so upset by this decision. All the WOC that went away, including this one, were really good on the show too.

4. Uno says:

And already the new lady of color is in danger.. Lol

5. dan says:

Another cast departure? I guess in an ER there are always people coming & going, but a little consistency with this show would be nice.

6. We are very weary of cast changes, especially when no “on screen” departure is explained. Please settle down with the cast. We grow to love them, and then you take them away. Stop it! One reason your ratings are so mamby-pamby. You are losing your truest fans.

• Eric H says:

And just like most hosptials and their ERs, there’s high turnover, especially in one that’s as busy and hectic as depicted on the show. They’re also dealing with residents, who typically move on after three years or change residency programs thay’re enrolled in.

7. GuessWhat says:

surprised and happy this got renewed!
    and LOL, people — look up Moon Bloodgood — diversity is still there. RELAX!

8. Lauren says:

Very upset that Melanie wont be back on Code Black. I LOVED her and her character.

9. Iakovos says:

The handling of CODE BLACK reminds me of CHICAGO HOPE on CBS in the 1990s. Wasn’t Alan Arkin the only actor who weathered the constant cast changes and directions? I know prevailing wisdom these days is to tinker with cast but I like a regular ensemble I can count on to see week to week.

• Eric H says:

You still have 5 of the original 8 characters (Rorish, Guthrie, Jesse, Angus, and Mario) so it’s not like the cast is completely different.

10. Jim A. says:

This show lost me when they got rid of Bonnie Sommerville, I thought she was great and I was barely holding on to the show with her. Not a big fan of Rob Lowe so I had to go!

• dan says:

To be fair, Rob Lowe was better than I expected. Still don’t know why they keep dropping contract characters, but at least the show remained watchable (and even good) in season two.

11. Stacy says:

I’m left to wonder if they’re reshuffling as many writers behind the scene as they are actors, because the writing/directing is what I tend to cringe at when watching the show.

12. Em says:

In real life don’t care much for people who are handed everything so will just have to wait and see on that one. Hope the others fit in just be careful and don’t ruin the show

13. Gayle Harmon says:

Is Mama coming back?

14. Gayle Harmon says:

Is Mamma coming back?

15. Amy Wegner says:

This makes me sad that Melanie Chandra is leaving. I liked her friendship with Angus and Mario.

16. Amy Wegner says:

I hope they explain it on-screen why she’s gone. The biggest thing that bugged me in Season 2 was that there was no mention of why “Neal” and “Christina” were gone. Everybody acted like they never existed.

• dean says:

Yeah, especially Angus. If he don’t have something to say about her being gone I’m gonna be pissed. He literally killed for her!

17. Diana A Williams says:

I’d like to know why she’s leaving. I already know why Daniel Dad Kim & Grace Park left H5O, Is it the same reason?

18. mjm says:

Isn’t Tyler Perez 5 or 6 years too young to play a first year resident at 20? Or is he supposed to be the new Doogie Howser?

19. Peggy Born says:

I liked her, she brought her character to be a believable new doctor.

20. Chinogirl says:

Can’t they just get and keep good actors and have a smart show about exciting but relevant medical stories? Remember ER, they would do PSA’s at the end of the show? Harden and Lowe and Guzman are awesome tho….please make this show work!

21. Brandon says:

Getting rid of Chandra is the best news I’ve heard all day. She was awful in that show. Bloodgood was awesome in “Falling Skies” so I am curious to see how she does in a new role.

22. Rachel says:

I thought some of the strongest episodes were those about Chandra’s character, Malaya. And Chandra kicked ass in them. She’s insanely talented. Upset and confused that CBS has her character leaving but hopeful she’s on to better things. Sure Bloodgood is great too – good luck to both these ladies.

23. Brandon S. says:

It’s a shame they are losing such a great actress.

24. Sheila says:

Noooo!! I loved her and her character!! Why is she leaving?

25. Pamela says:

Going to miss her I only watched because of her

26. Kelly says:

WHEN IS THE FREAKING PREMIERE FOR SEASON 3

27. TR says:

dear god why do they have to let go of another WOC?? Her character was the only thing holding my wife and I onto the show. Her and Luis Guzman. At least he’s back.

28. Sarah says:

Horrible news! The cast was so good, going back to the originals from Season 1. why do they have to keep changing it? And I adored melanie on that show and her character. Such a loss for the show and CBS.