General Hospital Stone Returns

General Hospital Is Bringing Back Stone Cates — Find Out When and Why

Longtime General Hospital fans — as well as a certain mobster — will get an emotional blast from the past when soap alum Michael Sutton reprises his role as dearly departed Stone Cates.

TVLine has learned exclusively that Sutton, a Daytime Emmy nominee for the role he originally played from 1993 to 1995, will briefly return to the ABC sudser sometime in August. (The “Save AMC & OLTL” Facebook page apparently wrote about Sutton’s encore previously.)

Of course, Stone Cates very famously and tragically died in late 1995, of AIDS-related illness, in one of daytime-TV’s most acclaimed storylines. As such, Sutton’s encore is shrouded in some mystery, but TVLine can report that it is triggered by Sonny, Stone’s onetime guardian/brother figure, going through a time of great crisis. (Sutton previously reprised the role for a few days in September 2010, when Robin Scorpio was trapped in a well and her true love appeared as a figment of her battered psyche.)

Are you interested to see Stone again, this time apparently helping out another important person from his too-short life?

1. Maxsmom says:

I only watch the last few minutes of the show and the preview of the next episode because I can’t quite quit GH. A Michael Sutton sighting is always a good thing.

2. Ash says:

I’m sure this will backe cry, cause this was back in the GH heyday when I loved Sonny. Hopefully my Sonny hate on now won’t taint the scenes. I did love this return with Kimberly.

• Jbj says:

Same here! I used to swoon when Sonny flashed those dimples, now I just growl at the narcissistic, emotional abuser. Seeing Stone again will be nice, but hate the idea that his visit will be yet another attempt to “redeem” Sonny.

• Judiwb says:

I agree with the both of you. I loved Sonny back then, now he is just a pain. And I am so sick of him with Carly. Sonny is not redeemable. Loved Stone. He was such a great character.

3. Wrstlgirl says:

OMG this is awesome!! I loved Stone and Robin’s story.

4. mary says:

It will be great to see Stone again – he was such a great character. I always love to see the departed return.

5. Ronnie Anthony says:

I’ll take a week or so of episodes with Stone’s ghost over Steve Burton back on contract any day of the week!

6. Rita says:

I think its ridiculous to bring him back!

• Jamie says:

Why? He meant a lot to Sonny – it’ll likely be a dream sequence or something like it was with Robin in the well.

7. dansue says:

That was such a great storyline. I was hooked on GH and used to sit in front of my little tv with rabbit ears after school to watch. Stone’s death and BJ’s accident made me bawl buckets of tears.

• Jbj says:

Yeah, I remember sitting in my Freshman dorm during the episode when Stone and Robin consummated their relationship. He had a coughing fit, so I joked “Oh no! It’s a soap…he’s happy…now he’s got to die!” It killed me when Alan told him the news a couple of weeks later. Robin was my age, and I grew up watching her, so it was like watching friends go through a tragedy.

• mrmcgee says:

So true. We went from those classic stories to Monica’s bteast cancer. They put us through the emotional wringer

8. David says:

I love to see Stone even if only in ghost/spirit form. Michael Sutton was phenomenal as Stone Cates. His reprisals just reinforce how remarkable the Robin/Stone AIDS story line was even so many years later and introduce it to a new audience.

9. kathy myers says:

i think its genius. Cant wait.

10. Mary Palmer says:

No. I want to see Morgan, the original Morgan come back.

11. Tomm Huntre says:

I’m looking forward to this more than Steve Burton!s return.

12. M says:

Wonder how the writers plan to bring him back

13. Deborah Jones says:

14. David says:

It’s like this I’m already upset to hear about Rocco and Charlotte being twins…. Doesn’t need Stone, don’t need two Jason and we definitely don’t need Valentin…… I’m just saying……

15. Annette Phillips says:

I don’t like too many back from the dead storylines & this one I could definitely do without!

16. Lynn says:

While I’d like to see Stone how is how do they explain a dead person aging, lol. I mean it’s been over 20 years! I don’t know what the actor looks like now but he has to look older right? Unless they have one great makeup artist.

• Jbj says:

The last time he was on, he looked pretty good. Not a teenager, but pretty young. Ghosts have some leeway because they can age with the imagination. I think Sonny once had a vision with Lily and their baby as a young child instead of a fetus.

17. Just have to see how this will pan out with the audience. We are all waiting patiently for Steve Burton return. To many oldies returning gets boring. Seems like GH is struggling to stay above water.

18. Sheri Gorsegner-Matz says:

Like!

19. Lori McCauliff says:

I think its great! I love seeing previous characters come back. I hope they bring Morgan back. I love, love, love General Hospital-never miss an episode! Hope it goes on forever!!!!!!!!

20. Freda9992@Yahoo. Com says:

Im so glad stone cates are returning I hope returning for good and just for a short time he is so brilliant at playing stone cates…welcome back.

• Freda9992@Yahoo. Com says:

Im so glad stone cates are returning I hope returning for good and not just for a short time he is so brilliant at playing stone cates…welcome back.

21. Teri says:

You guys complain to much!!! I can’t wait for Michael and Steve to return. The writers always have a twist planned for a returning actor. Really!?

• Annette Phillips says:

They can only afford to hire so many people & I am a long time GH viewer. They are asking what I think & I think I have every right to tell them what I would prefer. Thank you!

22. Susie uliano says:

Great idea!!! Love it when people are pulled from the past !! Looking forward to it !!

23. Susie uliano says:

24. Susie uliano says:

Great idea !! Love it when people are pulled from the past !!

25. Aletha Kates says:

Yes bring stone back to warn sonny that he’s in danger. See robin and let them both know he’s been watching over them… I think that would be awesome there guardian angel 🤗🤗🤗

26. Jennifer Dornan says:

Yes I can’t wait to Stone again!!
    !

27. Dottie says:

Whatever​ keeps General Hospital going for another 50 years, I’m all for it…My mom watched it and I’ve been watching for 38 years…

28. Dottie says:

Whatever keeps General Hospital going for another 50 years… I’ve been watching for 38 years.. Love it!!

29. shar says:

I honestly wish GH would split GH into two 30 minute shows, and give Sonny his own show. Fans are tuning out when we LOVE so much of the REST of GH. I’d love to see much more ava, griffin, dillon, kik, Q’s, Cassadines, nathan, Dante, annaTJ, molly, etc. I LOVED the jason/curtis bromance, but I haven’t watched GH in months and I see no hope the sonny obsession is ending.

Soaps have failed before, but this is the first time a show has SO MUCH going for it, added great new characters, but the showrunner focused the entire show on a failing character, ratings cratered, and now there’s been even more Sonny, Carly, nina and nelle.

30. Leanora D Hall says:

Yes I would love to see Stone/Michael Sutton again even if it’s for a short time

31. Marlene Zaffino says:

Still waiting for the real Jason to return

32. EiEiO says:

Didn’t stone die of AIDS..This is ridiculous 😒😏

33. Peanut says:

I’m glad GH brings back past characters and definitely look forward to seeing Stone again. These characters are who hav3 made GH who they are today. One can explain these different characters. but can no way really show the audience the person. So by reprising their characters gives one a talking start of their relationships to current characters. Don’t be a killjoy, just enjoy the reprisals.

34. Rachel says:

Wow..I feel so much better now because I can’t let the show go either. I am 38 years old been watching since 12. While I can’t sit thru an whole episode anymore for some reason I always need to know what’s going on with it. From the comments it seem I’m not the only one.

35. Lisa Echerd says:

I wish they would stop resurrecting characters and use the characters they have!

36. KM13 says:

I love Michael Sutton and Stone. I only wish he wasn’t coming back for Sonny. I’m beyond sick of Sonny.

37. Mpelerin says:

These writers are so quick 2 kill of favorite characters and bring them by fr the dead. So old. Repetitious and no longer entertaining.

38. Faithful watcher says:

I’ve been watching GH since the it first started. Now since you have all that backround music which is so loud I no longer can enjoy it. only because you cannot hear them speak above that LOUD MUSIC. Please lower it or stop it all together. I am 85 years old and LOVE to watch GH faithfully every day. Please do away with that music.

39. Marsha darrington says:

Terrible storyline who cares about robin sonny or stone its time to move we dont want to see that or hear about them ever year

40. Cheryl says:

Wow it has been so long since he was on there. He was awesome! A memory of him again would bring me to tears once more!

41. CAROL HARDY says:

How can you bring back the old Jason as a Jason character?? I know people died on soaps all the time and come back but I can’t see how you can integrate him into the story really don’t like it