Emmys
Emmy Predictions 2017

Emmy Nominations: My Fearless Predix

TV-MAThe wait is almost over. Nominations for the 2017 Emmy Awards will be announced Thursday at 11:30 am ET
(watch them live right here on TVLine) and here’s what I can promise you: HBO’s Big Little Lies and FX’s FEUD: Bette and Joan will dominate the limited series categories, NBC’s Trump-fueled Saturday Night Live will walk away with one of its largest nomination hauls ever, and the list of egregious snubs will be as long as it will be painful. Beyond that, it’s a total crap shoot.

Just kidding! I already glimpsed the final nominations via my freshly Windexed crystal ball and I’m sharing my findings with you because I believe in total and complete transparency when it comes to showing off how prescient I am.

RELATED Ausiello’s Final Appeal to Emmy Voters: Please Don’t Forget These 3 Underdogs

COMEDY SERIES
Atlanta
Veep
Master of None
Transparent
Black-ish
Insecure
Modern Family

COMEDY ACTRESS
Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Veep)
Issa Rae (Insecure)
Tracee Ellis Ross (Black-ish)
Ellie Kemper (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
Sarah Jessica Parker (Divorce)
Lily Tomlin (Grace and Frankie)

COMEDY ACTOR
Donald Glover (Atlanta)
Aziz Ansari (Master of None)
Anthony Anderson (Black-ish)
Jeffrey Tambor (Transparent)
William H. Macy (Shameless)
Thomas Middleditch (Silicon Valley)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Kate McKinnon (Saturday Night Live)
Rita Moreno (One Day at a Time)
Judith Light (Transparent)
Anna Chlumsky (Veep)
Gaby Hoffmann (Transparent)
Mayim Bialik (The Big Bang Theory)

COMEDY SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alec Baldwin (Saturday Night Live)
Tony Hale (Veep)
Louie Anderson (Baskets)
Tituss Burgess (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
Timothy Simons (Veep)
Ty Burrell (Modern Family)

COMEDY GUEST ACTRESS
Melissa McCarthy (Saturday Night Live)
Laurie Metcalf (The Big Bang Theory)
Kristen Wiig (Saturday Night Live)
Carrie Fisher (Catastrophe)
Angela Bassett (Master of None)
Laura Dern (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)

COMEDY GUEST ACTOR
Lin-Manuel Miranda (Saturday Night Live)
Hugh Laurie (Veep)
Tom Hanks (Saturday Night Live)
Peter Scolari (Girls)
Jon Hamm (Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt)
Peter MacNicol (Veep)

DRAMA SERIES
Stranger Things
This Is Us
The Crown
Better Call Saul
The Handmaid’s Tale
Westworld
The Leftovers

DRAMA ACTRESS
Claire Foy (The Crown)
Elisabeth Moss (The Handmaid’s Tale)
Evan Rachel Wood (Westworld)
Viola Davis (How to Get Away With Murder)
Robin Wright (House of Cards)
Carrie Coon (The Leftovers)

DRAMA ACTOR
Bob Odenkirk (Better Call Saul)
Sterling K. Brown (This Is Us)
Liev Schreiber (Ray Donovan)
Kevin Spacey (House of Cards)
Justin Theroux (The Leftovers)
Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Millie Bobby Brown (Stranger Things)
Thandie Newton (Westworld)
Winona Ryder (Stranger Things)
Chrissy Metz (This Is Us)
Vera Farmiga (Bates Motel)
Margo Martindale (The Americans)

DRAMA SUPPORTING ACTOR
John Lithgow (The Crown)
Jeffrey Wright (Westworld)
Jonathan Banks (Better Call Saul)
Ron Cephas Jones (This Is Us)
Ed Harris (Westworld)
Michael Kelly (House of Cards)

DRAMA GUEST ACTRESS
Laverne Cox (Orange is the New Black)
Carrie Preston (The Good Fight)
Cicely Tyson (How to Get Away With Murder)
Ann Dowd (The Leftovers)
Adina Porter (Underground)
Kristen Chenoweth (American Gods)

DRAMA GUEST ACTOR
Ben Mendelsohn (Bloodline)
Hank Azaria (Ray Donovan)
Gerald McRaney (This Is Us)
Beau Bridges (Masters of Sex)
Denis O’Hare (This Is Us)
Dylan Baker (The Good Fight)

LIMITED SERIES
Big Little Lies
Feud: Bette and Joan
The Night Of
Fargo
American Crime

TV MOVIE
The Wizard of Lies
Sherlock: The Lying Detective
Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
Black Mirror
Churchill’s Secret

TV MOVIE/MINI SERIES ACTRESS
Nicole Kidman (Big Little Lies)
Jessica Lange (Feud: Bette and Joan)
Reese Witherspoon (Big Little Lies)
Oprah Winfrey (Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks)
Susan Sarandon (Feud: Bette and Joan)
Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life)

TV MOVIE/MINI SERIES ACTOR
Riz Ahmed (The Night Of)
John Turturro (The Night Of)
Ewan McGregor (Fargo)
Robert De Niro (The Wizard of Lies)
Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock: The Lying Detective)
Jude Law (The Young Pope)

TV MOVIE/MINI SERIES SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Laura Dern (Big Little Lies)
Shailene Woodly (Big Little Lies)
Judy Davis (Feud: Bette and Joan)
Regina King (American Crime)
Michelle Pfeiffer (The Wizard of Lies)
Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Fargo)

TV MOVIE/MINI SERIES SUPPORTING ACTOR
Alfred Molina (Feud: Bette and Joan)
Stanley Tucci (Feud: Bette and Joan)
Martin Freeman (Sherlock: The Lying Detective)
Hank Azaria (The Wizard of Lies)
Alexander Skarsgard (Big Little Lies)
David Thewlis (Fargo)

REALITY-COMPETITION PROGRAM
The Voice
The Amazing Race
Top Chef
Project Runway
RuPaul’s Drag Race
Dancing With the Stars

REALITY HOST
RuPaul Charles (RuPaul’s Drag Race)
Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn (Project Runway)
Tom Bergeron (Dancing With the Stars)
Alec Baldwin (Match Game)
Steve Harvey (Little Big Shots)
Carson Daly (The Voice)

VARIETY TALK SERIES
Last Week Tonight with John Oliver
Late Show with Stephen Colbert
Late Late Show with James Corden
Full Frontal with Samantha Bee
Jimmy Kimmel Live
Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1. guitardawn says:

I realize it’s a crowded field, but no Ann Dowd for Handmaid’s Tale or The Leftovers? Hoping she finally gets recognized.

2. Sam says:

I feel House of Cards and Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt would be nominated for Drama and Comedy Series.

3. Chris Reynolds says:

Master of None – Comedy? Viola Davis – Comedy Actor?

4. Ames says:

Why is Sterling K. Brown in the Best Actor category but Chrissy Metz is in the Best Supporting Actress category? Don’t they kind of share the same amount of screen time on that show?

5. Joey Padron says:

Good prediction list for Emmy nominations. I really hope Freddy and Vera get nominated for final season of Bates Motel. I can’t wait for Emmy nominations tomorrow!

6. Walkie says:

I think the days of the automatic nominations for the House of Cards cast needs to end. That show has turned into a cartoon.

7. TVFan says:

No acting choices for Lead/Supporting for OITNB? Season 4 was their best, with amazing performances! I can see how it may be forgotten by now though
    Also, Geoffrey Rush for Playing Einstein?

• Jessica says:

I agree w/you about OITNB. Season 4 was incredible! I would like to see Taylor Schilling and Samira Wiley nominated. I’ve always believed that since Piper isn’t a well liked character that it has affected her chances of winning awards. Maybe I’m wrong. She was so believable in that branding scene in S4 that I cringed the entire time. Even though I wasn’t a fan of Season 5 of OITNB, Danielle Brooks should definitely get a nomination next year!

8. Syl says:

No shock to me on that entire list there is only one show that I watch [TBBT] and I’m split on the two nominees. Love Laurie Metcalf but while I have nothing against Mayim Bialek, I despise Amy.

• Rachel says:

Seriously. Besides TBBT the only other show I watch is stranger things.

• Syl says:

Thank you! I feel less like the oddball now. The truth is I find most of the major programming so uninteresting, I depend on PBS and BBCA for most primetime viewing.

• dexterd1 says:

Well then I seriously urge you both to watch game of thrones.By the time you end season 1 and watch the greatest twist of all time,i swear to you, you won’t be able to stop,Its insane just how many people are missing this show because of hbo’s insistence on keeping it inaccessible (no streaming worldwide for example)

• Syl says:

I’ve steered clear of GOT because I was so disappointed in Outlander after loving the books. So often they get it wrong doing period pieces. Pillars of the Earth got it mostly right with the exception of Hayley Atwell. Maybe I’ll wait for GOT on DVD when it’s available from the library free of charge.

9. Lauren says:

How To Get Away With Murder shouldn’t be nominated for anything. Hoping Orange Is The New Black gets more love than predicted – crazy season. Yes to everyone on This Is Us! Yes to everyone on Big Little Lies!

10. I think it’s a good list, although I think a few compromises need to be made to squeeze in Felicity Huffman for American Crime and both Amy Brenneman and Christopher Eccleston for The Leftovers.

• I also wouldn’t mind Winona Ryder for Stranger Things but considering the talent in the best actress category, that may be a long shot. We can always do without Viola Davis for a change I suppose.

• Daisy F. says:

They have her in the Supporting Actress Drama category. I haven’t seen the show yet, but wanted to let you know that they are predicting a nomination for her in that category.

11. Paul Ketz says:

Great batch of nominees that I could get behind. The only one I am truly upset to see omitted is Kelly Bishop for Gilmore Girls. I thought for sure she would get recognized. Hopefully she still does! I am keeping my fingers crossed.

12. Ingmar says:

I’m rooting for Alexis Bledel in Handmaid’s Tale (guest actress), Lauren Graham (Gilmore Girls) and I’d like to see Claire Danes be nominated again for Homeland.

13. Hipper says:

Even though ‘The Leftover’ had a great season, I’ll be a little surprised if the Emmys give it all these nods since it has a total of zero nods in ANY categories so far.

14. Elaine says:

Anyone but Alec Baldwin

15. Brian says:

I hope you’re right about The Leftovers, but I’m expecting a shut out again and the series to go down as never being nominated for a single Emmy. I have a feeling people are being overly optimistic about how much new blood there will be in the best drama category with Better Call Saul as the only returning nominee. I’m seeing the possibility of some “Really? Still nominating that again?” nominees like House of Cards or Homeland.

16. Jane says:

I don’t think it will happen but I’m rooting for LG so hard!!!

17. Sean says:

Do you mean Aisha Hinds for Underground in Guest Supporting Actress instead of Adina Porter?

18. Danny P. says:

While I absolutely love receiving your newsletters and emails, can we PLEASE stop adding “Breaking News” to EVERY email subject?

A prediction is, by definition, not breaking news, as it hasn’t really happened yet. Yes, when Emmy nominations are announced, absolutely, use “Breaking news” in the subject. But when it’s a wishlist (or several), please don’t, as all it does is cheapen your (or anyone’s, for that matter) actual breaking news.

I write this as someone who has followed your career and writing for years, way before TVLine was founded. But, with each additional misuse of “Breaking news” on the subject, I’ve come this close to unsubscribing from your emails.

It’s ok to send email with a normal subject. Not everything is breaking news, and that’s ok…

19. Juliet says:

I hope Lori Petty is remembered for OITNB

20. Rob TO says:

I may not even watch the Emmys if Michael McKean isn’t nominated for Supporting Actor! He should be a finalist for winning the Emmy let alone just being nominated.

21. Chance says:

Rita Moreno gonna get a nod for One Day at a Time.

22. LaDonna says:

As much as I want to believe it, I still think Lauren Graham is a long shot for even a nomination. She won’t win, obviously, against the competition from Big Little Lies and Feud (which I agree will grab noms for all those big names), but it would be so nice to see her at least nominated. And yes, I’d also love to see Kelly Bishop recognized for her performance in AYITL, but that’s probably too much to hope for. GG just doesn’t get much love when it comes to the Emmy’s.

• Lauren says:

Yeah and I see Carrie Coon getting that spot for Fargo.

• april-ann says:

As nice as it would be to see Lauren Graham finally nominated, I don’t think she should be. She doesn’t deserve it. It wasn’t her best work (not her fault with the material she was given but her fault for agreeing to do it). If she is, I think it would just be a case of making up for past slights, something with which I strongly disagree. I know the Academy Awards tend to do this from time to time but I believe that only the year in question should matter. It was a travesty that GG, Kelly Bishop, Edward Hermann and especially Lauren Graham went unrecognized during all those truly beautiful, rich years when they deserved not only recognition but rewards for every one of those years. But it will be every bit the travesty now if AYITL and anyone associated with it is nominated.

• tybabb says:

Well that’s a bit dramatic. I agree the revival wasn’t phenomenal, but Lauren’s performance was just as good as ever. It’s grading the acting, not the material. She was just as lovely as Lorelai as ever and elevated the scenes beyond their worth, it was great to see her back in the role. I feel like you’re letting your disappointment in the revival cloud her performance, which are two different things. She may not get nominated because the competition is so tough, but she definitely deserves to be considered.

• april-ann says:

You are being overly dramatic here. I am not letting my disappointment in the revival cloud my judgment of her performance, nor that of any of the others, whom I feel didn’t perform well either. I said flat out it wasn’t her best work and I meant it. That was about the acting not the material.

• Tyler says:

Hm, interesting. To each their own, I thought she was great! Sorry for assuming anything.

• Jec says:

Also the revival sucked ass. Lauren Graham deserves Emmys but not for the revival. She deserved for the original run and for Parenthood!

23. Lauren says:

Dave Chappell guest actor in a comedy for SNL gets my vote.

24. Lola says:

Loved the list but what about Alexis Bledel for guest actress? I think she genuinely stoods a chance.

25. Donna Salvi says:

Nothing for The Americans?????

26. Grey says:

Michael, my fingers are crossed that all of your Leftovers predictions come true

27. Elf says:

Not a single mention of Speechless? I didn’t laugh harder at anything last season with the possible exception of The Good Place.

28. N says:

Damn Lauren Graham. Under his eye. 👁

29. May says:

I am hoping for Leftovers and Bates!! Both shows and their respective cast are exceptional and would be beyond shame not having them recognized! Freddie and Justin each deserve an emmy for their respective performances. It already sucks knowing and seeing so many generic nominations.

30. ninergrl6 says:

Love you Bosom Buddies “reunion” in the guest comedy actor category. I literally did a double take reading those two names together.

31. Lauren Graham ain’t happening, I think Felicity Huffman can take that spare spot

32. maregolden says:

I bet they are all glad that Game of Thrones wasn’t eligible this year.

33. Caroline says:

It’s highly unlikely the leads in The Americans will be left out.

34. Angela says:

I would be totally fine with this list of Emmy nominations :). Here’s hoping your predictions prove true come tomorrow!

35. George H. says:

I’d choose Michael McKean over Jonathan Banks from Better Call Saul for supporting actor in a Drama series.

36. LH86 says:

I haven’t been this invested in Emmy nominations in a long, long time, and it’s only because I really, really hope Lauren Graham gets a nomination! Gilmore Girls has, and will be, my favourite show of all time, and I hope she, on behalf of the whole show, gets some much-deserved recognition!

37. Will says:

Two questions: where’s Michael mckean for supporting actor? And is Lithgow up for a nomination for “Trial & Error”? Because that was perhaps the greatest comedic performance of the year.

38. ToyCannon says:

You misspelled Carrie Coon’s name 6 times in the Best Mini-Series Actress category.

39. bettereyes says:

Hey! What about Gillian Anderson in American Gods? She was the talk of the season! Worthy of the nom much more than the fabulous but barely there Christine Chenowieth.

40. kmw says:

All good picks. We shall see who gets in and gets left out. It would be nice to see some new actors in there

41. Bill says:

Just so those spoiled hollywood stars don’t have to get up early, about 2/3 of the country will miss the live announcements. How about all the people in the eastern and central time zones just stopped watching tv altogether? The bulk of your shows’ audience isn’t the western and mountain time zones.

• JohnnySuede says:

It’s all about news cycles and pretty much our country is on a 24 hour news cycle these days. So it really doesn’t matter what time they’re announced. All this “spoiled Hollywood stars” BS is just BS. Grow up. TV actors (especially on dramas) work really long hours. And most of them barely scrape by until they finally get onto a series. If you hate Hollywood so much, why do you even care when they’re announced?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

They used to be announced so early because the hope was to get heavy play on the morning shows. Once morning shows lost their cachet (and the Internet “caught on”), they decided to abandon the otherwise pointlessly early ruse. –Mgmt.

42. Kristina says:

While I hope some of the predictions come true, this seems like a “personal want” list instead of a prediction list. Gilmore Girls was never a player before and likely will not be now. Same goes for Bates Motel (even though I want Vera to get the nom so badly!!!). As it had a great final season, I believe The Leftovers will get SOME recognition, hopefully for Carrie Coon, but a drama nom seems like a stretch. They’ve finally embraced The Americans so I doubt they’ll turn their back on it now, despite the disappointing season. Also, Insecure for Best Comedy instead of Silicon Valley or Kimmy Schmidt????? Sureeeee. Not gonna happen…

43. Sue says:

Where is my precious jim parsons

• april-ann says:

He certainly deserves a nod way more than anyone from Modern Family or Blackish.

• TV Gord says:

I love Big Bang, but they’ve been phoning it in for a while, whereas blackish is on fire! I think Anthony Anderson and Marcus Scribner should be nominated along with the show.

44. Spence says:

I’ll actually have an aneurism is Modern Family score any nods. It’ll also be a crime if OITNB doesn’t get nominated for its superb fourth season!

45. Johanna says:

“because I believe in total and complete transparency when it comes to showing off how prescient I am.” — Michael, you crack me up. I’ve been following you since you were working at TV Guide. Please, never change.

46. TvLover says:

Freddie Highmore needs a nomination this year.
    Carrie Coons, and John Turturro, and Gerald McRaney.
    I’d also love to see Speechless replace Modern Family in the comedy category. Speechless was much better than most Modern Family episodes this year.
    The rest of the nominees I feel are going to be nominated.

47. Iakovos says:

How does one even keep track? I wonder if name recognition and media buzz are only ways winners may be determined anymore.

48. Wesley says:

No Tatiana Maslany for Orphan Black? It’s really one of the most impressive performances and acting feats in TV history.

49. Jec says:

Mr Robot over This is Us. I liked This is Us a lot but in no way is it Emmy worthy. Mr Robot was far superior (yes even in the second season)

50. Kellen Whaley says:

I don’t think Michael honestly thinks Lauren Graham will be nominated. Just strong, strong hope. And I really hope Jessica Lange won’t get a nod, though everybody knows she will, but her portrayal of Joan Crawford was Jessica Lange playing Jessica Lange. Carrie Coon in Fargo!

• tybabb says:

I feel weird saying it because I love Jessica Lange, but I agree with you. I couldn’t really tell a difference between Joan Crawford and most of her AHS characters. It just felt like she was being herself.