The L Word

The L Word Revival Eyed at Showtime

The L Word is getting the R Word.

Showtime is developing a revival of its seminal lesbian-themed drama series, which ran on the premium cabler from 2004 to 2009, TVLine has confirmed. Three of the original series’ stars Jennifer Beals, Kate Moennig and Leisha Hailey are expected to reprise their respective roles as Bette, Shane and Alice as well as serve as exec producers.

Per Deadline, the trio would be “surrounded by a new ensemble of women, with the sequel following their lives, loves and tribulations.”

L Word creator Ilene Chaiken (who now runs Empire) will serve as an EP on the revival should it move forward.

1. Jose says:

any word on if they are resolving Jennys murder? since it seems the 3 main characters did not go to prison.

2. Shaun says:

Well,I enjoyed the show for the most part.Willing to give it another go.

3. Wrstlgirl says:

Can Queer As Folk be far behind? I kinda hope they don’t go there. Sometimes it’s best just to let things be.

4. Yolanda says:

Hell yes! But only with the old cast. I’mean not gonna care about newbies. I want to watch Bettina, Helena, Shane, Alice, Kit and others. Oh and something tells me Jennyou didn’t die in the end. At least I pretend the whole sixth season was some freaking nightmare.

5. Missy says:

So, this is what Chaiken’ cryptic tweet, the other month, was about? How intriguing!

6. Ken says:

Yes! It would be sad to be without Tina or Helena. I really enjoyed their growth by the end and would love to see how they are all. I’m also okay with Jenny somehow being revived at the hospital or something shortly after the finale. Jenny was a tough character, but Mia Kirshner is an incredible actress.

7. TJ says:

Well maybe this will remedy what is literally the worst series finale of all time. I can’t believe they create an entire season around a mystery they never bother to solve….

• J.B. says:

I think Ilene Chaiken & the writers were too confident they’d get the spinoff that was being developed at the time to finish up the murder mystery considering that was what the spinoff was supposed to be centered around. The whole plot just shouldn’t have happened to begin with IMHO.

8. J.B. says:

This has always been one of those shows where you pretend the final season never happened and it all ended in the previous one. Given how pretty much everybody involved has major regrets over the last season it doesn’t surprise me they’d want a do over. Please just don’t bring back Jenny.

9. Jason says:

Any word on the Queer as Folk revival? It’s been a year since it was last mentioned at being thought of.

10. Stephen says:

It should’ve been ‘Queer as Folk’ instead! That show was amazing and is more relevant than ever now.

• Jamie says:

Agreed! Plus I would love to have Brian Kinney and Emmett Honeycutt in my life again, navigating a post-gay enclave world.

11. Tom says:

I stopped watching not much longer after they killed Dana. Hated Jenny.

12. Kyle says:

I’m happy with this, The L Word felt more like a concept than anything with its revolving regulars but I’m happy Moenig, Beals and Hailey will be back, they were the highlights. Same sex life snd Dating has changed a lot since then so it would be interesting to see the show in a 2018 setting

13. Riana says:

Maybe they can do a combo south of nowhere reunion with It.

14. hatto46 says:

Is Mia Kirshner Going To Be Involved In Some Way

15. rebecca says:

I know Laurel Holloman is busy with her paintings, but I can’t have Bette without Tina.

16. Arna Perry says:

I’m excited to hear of this! I really enjoyed the L Word and also Queer as Folk. I’d really like to see that continued also.

17. Stephanie says:

Not interested in the reboot if Tina isn’t back.

18. Jim J. says:

Hopefully this gives the producers of “The L Word” a chance to explain the death of Jenny Schecter, because if it’s still left unexplained, then this revival would be a waste. Plus, since “The Farm” (an unrealized spinoff of “The L Word”) was also connected to the Jenny’s death storyline, it’s a shame that this did never got a series order.