Shadowhunters Recap

Shadowhunters Reveals Sebastian's Dark Secret, Magnus' Tragic History

For those who haven’t read Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments books, the final twist at the end of Monday’s Shadowhunters probably came as quite a shock.

Following a visit from Sebastian’s particularly inquisitive cousin Aline, it was revealed that he’s not who everyone at the Institute thinks he is. For starters, he’s actually Valentine’s son… aka Clary’s brother. And the person tied up in his closet — or who was tied up before he was murdered in the damn streets — was the real Sebastian.

This was all relayed to the audience in the episode’s final moments when “Sebastian” intercepted Valentine on his way to Alicante with a little assistance from a poor, blackmailed Shadowhunter named Duncan. (RIP, Duncan! And Duncan’s family!)

We also learned this week…

* Magnus, too, has a dark secret from his past: His father blamed him for his mother’s suicide, explaining that she “hated herself for giving birth to a monster.” So Magnus lashed out, accidentally killing him, and it’s haunted him ever since. That’s the memory he was experiencing though the magic of the agony rune.

* Simon might forgive Clary for kissing Jace sooner then expected. I mean, is he heartbroken? Absolutely. (“Ever since we were kids, I’ve been in love with you. Every minute of every day. You’re the first person I thought about when I woke up.”) And while Simon asking for time apart from Clary might seem like a step backwards in terms of preserving their friendship, but doesn’t time heal all wounds? No? Ugh, damn.

* Luke isn’t just willing to bend the rules in order to help out his friends, he’s all about breaking them. Case in point: allowing Raphael to wipe his partner’s memory so that she no longer suspects Simon of murder (which, to be fair, he didn’t commit in the first place.)

Your thoughts on this week’s Shadowhunters? Predictions/hopes for the rest of Season 2? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Kate says:

I kinda wish they hadn’t revealed Sebastian as Jonathan so soon, but he’s a far better villain than Valentine (at least in the books), so I’m excited to see where it leads!

2. ninergrl6 says:

GREAT episode. Simon broke my heart, as did Malec (best scenes they’ve had all of season 2 IMO — I want to see more of their domestic side). The “Sebastian” reveal was gory and awesome, if not shocking; I haven’t read the books but I knew it was coming eventually based on what I’d gleaned online. Everything was absolutely on point. Probably my favorite ep since “How Are Thou Fallen” in February.

3. Rick says:

Think it was Magnus’ Step-father.

4. Isabelle says:

Poor Simon. I love Simon. I wanna go to clary and slap her face so hard that when she has children my hand print will not only be on Clary but on her children and her children, children. This is all Clary’s fault. If she just didn’t go out with Simon or as soon as she found out she wasn’t siblings with Jace. They’d give her another episode to realize that she has always been in deeply love with Jace the whole time. But no they made her mad at him. Like Clary I thought you were just the lover in the story not a freackin triangle. Idk now. Maybe I just love the presence of jace and his charming ways and those eye’s and his smile an his body……oh wait sry. Getting distracted And I love Simon he’s adorable. Someone that isn’t sexual. Like you would have a really good time with him. He could be funny, charming and in some ways sexy. And Jace though. Your relationship it’s self would be fireing hot. Like sexy hot. OMFG yuss jace is that hot. But my poor Magnus Bane or harry or mike chang. I am so so so so so so so so so so sorry my poor baby. I have no other words for you. just know I love you to the moon and back and alec is a good boyfriend to comfort you. And WTF Sebastian. So that wasn’t you. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. I LOVE THE LOOKS OF WILL TUDOR WHY DIE WILL C’MON. And Izzy or Isa cause you are latino. I feel a little awkward around you now cause I still feel the affects for when you were mad at Clary for the rune at the Iron sisters sididel thing.

• Paula Burke says:

It was a great episode all around and this season part 2 is really gripping. I continue to read forward in the book series and LOVED book 5. I agree as I like Simon too. You are right on though not for Clary. The books do have them together in the early stages of the story so they are forging forward to get Jace and Clary back on track. The way Simon and Clary’s roles evolved in the storyline last night, you get the sense that Simon is not getting back with Clary any time soon. Their relationship did a reality check and the friendship will be long-lasting. Simon’s journey into the underground of vamps was pretty graphic and not what I expected. He has great prowess as he took on Quinn. The television depiction of Simon is really impressive. As for Magnus and Alec, the relationship is interesting and if the writers keep moving in a book track they will be dealing with deception and control. As for Sebastian an intense story line is being crafted. It is not on book track as Valentine is not seeming to know him. Sebastian is ruthless and I am intrigued to see how he gains Valentine’s trust. Will Tudor is a great casting and exceeding my expectations.

5. Clarence says:

Whatever that creature was at the end of the episode masquerading as Sebastian Morgenstern, Cassandra Clare should be cringing! Where art the real Sebastian!

6. Kat says:

What the hell was that?! Jonathan isn’t a demon! He was just injected with demon blood. This better not be permanent. I so hope this isn’t permanent. This is bad.

7. liquilove says:

I was looking forward to the scene where Clary realises how she truely feels about jace ,those two together are fire, they could light up a room,I hope she stops fighting the unstoppable… And yes my heart breaks for Simon, but Clary is holding him down,he is too busy fighting Clary war,he needs to learn to b a vampire, coz he has so much to offer.
    Generally, I love ize ,she is hot,I love Alec, always so sweet n calm……I love the movie.

8. Nellie says:

While I normally don’t get worked up about the changes from the books, I was disappointed to see the change they made to Magnus; I really think “defending himself from being drowned by his father” is a stronger story. (Well, the man he thought until then was his father.)

And I was kind of sorry to see poor Sebastian go, at least so quickly.