Fall TV Preview
Hawaii Five-0 Kono Chin Out

Hawaii Five-0 Shake-Up: Grace Park, Daniel Dae Kim Exit Ahead of Season 8

Alo-whaaaa?

CBS’ Hawaii Five-0 is bidding adieu to not one but two original cast members: Grace Park and Daniel Dae Kim, neither of whom will be returning for Season 8, TVLine has learned.

Viewers will learn what became of Kono Kalakaua (who went “rogue” to chase sex traffickers in last month’s finale) and Chin Ho Kelly (recently wooed to head up a San Francisco Five-0 unit) in the Season 8 premiere, airing Friday, Sept. 29 at 9/8c.

Park and Kim’s departure comes as Five-0 enters the final season of Alex O’Loughlin’s current contract; McGarrett’s portrayer hinted last fall that Season 8 will be his last. Sources tell our sister site Variety that Park and Kim had been seeking, but failed to secure, pay equality with fellow original cast members O’Loughlin and Scott Caan.

To help fill the imminent void, as TVLine previously reported, casting is underway for the new series regular role of Tani, a lifeguard who until recently was a top police academy candidate until she got kicked out, and who will find her way onto McGarrett’s team.

“I will never forget meeting Daniel while still writing the pilot and being certain there was no other actor who I’d want to play Chin Ho Kelly,” shworunner Peter M. Lenkov said in a statement. “Needless to say, Daniel has been an instrumental part of the success of Hawaii Five-0 over the past seven seasons and it has personally been a privilege to know him.

“Grace’s presence gave Hawaii Five-0 a beauty and serenity to each episode,” the EP continued. “She was the consummate collaborator, helping build her character from Day 1. They will always be ohana to us, we will miss them and we wish them both all the best.”

Kim is an executive producer on The Good Doctor, ABC’s new medical drama which he co-developed for the U.S. with House’s David Shore. It premieres this fall and stars Freddie Highmore (Bates Motel).

CBS issued a statement that read, “We are so appreciative of Daniel and Grace’s enormous talents, professional excellence and the aloha spirit they brought to each and every one of our 168 episodes. They’ve helped us build an exciting new Hawaii Five-0, and we wish them all the best and much success in their next chapters. Mahalo and a hui hou….”

Want more scoop on H50, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Wrstlgirl says:

Oh man :-( Looking like s8 will surely be the end.

2. Mary says:

Did they choose to leave? Wish they ended the show instead of carrying on without 2 of the original cast. Caan already misses half the season as it is.

• Derek says:

Probably what they wanted in renegotiation and what the studio was prepared to offer didn’t sync up. Contracts for an eighth season usually involve costly raises and there’s only so much they’ll be able to spend on an ageing show.

• johnhelvete says:

Both actors have been on a prior successful shows, perhaps money was not an issue and the simply wanted to move on to other projects.

• Adam says:

I met Grace at an entertainment expo in Calgary last year and we had a chance to chat. She told me that she was ready to do something new and that season 7 would be her last. I assumed this was common knowledge but I guess not!

• Aeol says:

They were never paid equally to Caan and Loughlin from the start, and they should have been! How long should people be expected to do equal work for less than equal pay?

• Joe says:

Sadly, I don’t think it’s a coincidence that it’s the 2 Caucasian actors that were paid more than the 2 Asian actors.

• steph says:

It’s not equal work. They’ve always had less screentime, so they get paid less. Simple.

• retsim says:

Quite right .

• LMF says:

looks like they need new agents. I’m sure just like any job in any market wages are negotiated. The screen time has a lot to do with wages. Once it becomes a hit they want more. I like them both and not saying they dont deserve it but they negotiated wages. get new agents. who suffers, the fans and eventually it will hurt them. Remember NYPD Blue..Caruso wanted out and his career bombed until CSI.. This is their last season, to bad for the fans..

• Sara says:

10-15% is not a lot of money fora show like H5O. It would most likely only have been for one season.

• mauif says:

Salary dispute.

• They weren’t being paid the same when they refused to pay them their worth they chose to leave. Funny how the two minorities were not being valued.

3. Andrew Hass says:

It wouldn’t surprise me if we see those 2 actors again on Hawaii Five-O on it’s final episode when the series ends./

4. 808 says:

We pretty much knew this news was coming, but it still SUCKS to have it confirmed. I’ll miss them on the show.

5. Dominique says:

well this is the beginning of the end. did they both want to leave or were they let go for budget reasons or something?
    it’ll be tough to see the next season without them. i feel like chin ho always brought some levelheaded stuff and it was just allround nice to have kono participate in anything, given that she’s the only main female character.

• qriffic says:

They’re going to bring in this Tani character – I guess 1 female lead is their max.

• Don J. says:

Daniel has a new production company and is producing Freddie Highmore’s new series on ABC. He probably wants to focus on behind the scenes/development right now. Don’t know about Grace or her future plans.

6. Brandi says:

Season 8 has to be the end. If O’Laughlin leaves I don’t think the show can survive. Scott’s only been in about 2/3 of the episodes the past couple of seasons, he probably wouldn’t mind getting a job in L.A. where is family is. And now Grace & Daniel leaving….smh. This season is going to be sad. I don’t really mind Grace leaving, she didn’t seem to have much to do the past couple of seasons other than marrying Adam. I’m seriously sad Danial is leaving. I’ll keep watching because I love O’Laughlin and I waited a long time for him to get a series that stuck after 2 canceled shows, but I won’t like it.
    This seriously sucks. :(

7. Brenda says:

BOO! Chin, Kono, and Jerry are my favorite characters. I really enjoy Kono’s family life and Chin becoming a dad was great, love the kid they cast.

8. Another Poster says:

Is Hawaii Five-O going to get a full 22 episode season, or will the departure of Mr. Kim and Ms. Kim lead to a shortened 13 episode final season? Replacing those two will be hard to do and maybe CBS will just give the series half a season order of episodes.
    It was great while it lasted and Five-O lasted a lot longer than many people thought it would when it went from Monday to Friday nights.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Not how things work, really. Full season, as always.

• Another Poster says:

Thank you for letting me know that Hawaii Five-O will be getting a full season order, in spite of the two co-stars leaving the show.

Variety is reporting they left, because, they were getting paid 10 – 15% less than Mr. O’Loughlin and Mr. Caan and when they asked for a raise, were told no.
        Not paying them more money could be expensive if the ratings, (and advertising dollars), suffer with them gone.

• drhenning says:

ummm…. The rights fees are the same for the whole season anyway… For those old enough to remember, this is a better exit than the old Chin Ho character who was murdered.. The old Kono character (who was male) just disappeared… my guess is it might be the final season for H50 because with Steve McG, it would not be H50.. That character was about the only one to survive all seasons of the old show.. I am not shocked that both are gone since the final episode certainly set it up so this was certainly in the works…. I do agree that if indeed it is the final season, they may come back for the final episode since neither was killed off.

• MD says:

Medium was renewed for a 22 episode season 7 and CBS cut it down to 13.

• 808 says:

One of the crew posted a pic the other day showing binders labelled 801 – 822.

CBS Studios International says 23 episodes according to someone on twitter (the link provided didn’t work for me so I didn’t see it myself).

• nuschler12 says:

808 (My area code here in the islands)

You went to Radford? Your math can use some work. Binders 801-822 are 22 episodes NOT 23. Feel free to use all toes and fingers to count…and two mo’.

Shaka brah!

• 808 says:

Another Poster asked if we’d get a full series or not so I passed along what I’ve seen (i.e could be either 22 OR 23 depending on which is correct). There’s no need to be a jerk.

9. kittycat925 says:

Say it ain’t so! I will miss both actors but I will still watch the show because I love Alex and the beautiful Hawaii scenery! My very best wishes to Grace and Daniel!☺😊

10. Paige says:

Can it be a 5-0 unit in San Francisco? Wouldn’t it have to be a 3-1 unit?

Snark aside, sorry to see them go. Expected Park’s exit, but not Kims.

11. Joey Padron says:

Sad news! Gonna miss them both on the show so much :(

12. Elaine says:

I will never understand why actors leave hit shows. So many have left and you never hear from them again. The original 5-0 ran much longer with the original cast in place. Only the actor who played Dano departed before the last year but he stuck around over 10 years. I remember watching Eric O’Laughlin in several series that ran no longer than one season and he finally gets a hit series and leaves. Actors are a different animal.

• Ken says:

Thats kind of a weird comment to make about someone’s job. They are actors, yes, but they are doing a job. They leave a job like anyone else. If they get bored, or want to do something else. Just like someone working at, let’s say a bank, and they quit after 10 years to go to work as an accountant. Same thing with actors.

• Michael says:

It’s not a weird comment at all. It’s a valid point. Many actors decide to leave hit shows only to be never heard of again.

• Haz says:

Yeah but on the other hand look at Ellen Pompeo or Mariska Hargitay, not trying to be mean, but when Greys and SVU are over their careers probably are as well. It’s better to try something different or leave while the show has a little life left then staying with a show past it’s prime.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Alex on why he might leave: http://tvline.com/2016/11/01/hawaii-five-0-alex-oloughlin-episode-150-preview/

Also: How many yachts can you waterski behind?

• Olive says:

If my boss refused to pay me equal money for equal work, I’d quit too. Especially after 7 years of service. That applies to all professions, not just acting.

• steph says:

It’s not equal work, never has been. They’re not the lead actors and have less screentime, so they get less money, plain and simple.

• Stacy says:

I only partially agree. AOL is the lead, is in every episode, and does a lot of physically demanding work. Scott has renegotiated to miss a handful of episodes every season. He’s definitely not doing more work than Grace or Daniel.

• steph says:

Scott still has more screentime in the episodes that he’s in. Actors usually get a per episode salary – he probably gets the same amount per episode as before, but less over the whole season since he has fewer episodes now.

• Scribe says:

The show has always been an ensemble and frankly, Kim and Park had a hell of a lot more acting cred than O’Loughlin when he first joined the cast. After seven years, they deserve equal pay.

13. Brooklyngirl says:

I’m very sad to hear this. I was hoping that they’d both be back at some point over the season. Maybe they will or at least for the finale. Because the show just won’t be the same anymore.

14. nuschler12 says:

Well as an islander (a kama’aina–a forever resident), without Daniel Dae Kim, this will never be watched again by us locals. Solid actor! I saw him in “The King and I” on Broadway when we made our twice yearly vacation to NY.

Yes I’m biased but the Asian men like Kim are the most beautiful to watch. He’s been here a LONNNG time as he was also in “Lost.”

So Aloha means Goodbye Mr. Kim! And goodbye to Hawai’i 5-0. Original with Jack Lord was mo bettah. Not all that tactical gear and assault weapons.

And Scott Caan–the worst. I just fast forward any time he is in the picture. What a snotty little short guy syndrome attitude.

And Grace? Sorry but you were never like the original Kono of 300+ pounds. Grace couldn’t knock down a strong guy with a tank.

15. ragnar51 says:

Ah man!! H50 was one of my favorites!! 8 years is a great run but it seems that so many good shows have ended this season Grimm/The Catch/CM Beyond Borders

16. Eric H says:

That really sucks. I get the feeling this is going to be the final season since I’m not sure if fans of the show are going to really warm up to a bunch of new characters after getting to know Chin Ho and Kono for so long.

• Bsk says:

I don’t new charterers will work either work
      With what you got
      Md
      Bring
      Back Borth as a regular. That would
      Being Steve something to have a future with in the end. You could always say she wa being blackmailed into leaving.
      On on writers get creative

17. GWD says:

Aloha … the show has about run its course. Also,
    the childish banter between McGarret & Dano is annoying.

18. Kevin Tran says:

Hawaii Five-O won’t be the same without Kono and Chin Ho and it looks like the upcoming 8th season will likely be the end.

19. kmw says:

Too bad I liked what they both brought but if the reality is that Alex is going to leave then Hawaii Five O is probably done this season anyway. Good luck to both actors

• Eric H says:

Besides the reported money issue, I’m wondering if they walked away more readily from the series because they know the series will be ending shortly and wanted to get a headstart on other projects.

20. Such a bummer! If it is the last season, which it sounds like it is, I hope they do a proper series finale and these two come back for it.

21. Annie says:

:( This makes me sad. I wish them both the best but it sure would have been nice if they’d have stuck around at least through season 8 (since it could be the last one).

22. Don J. says:

Looks like they both quit because of a pay dispute. Variety says they were both making about 10-15% less than O’Loughlin and Caan. Well that really sucks.

23. Kristie says:

I’m sad to see them go, but asking for equal pay when they don’t have near the amount of air time as McGarrett is weird. I guess they figured “why not try” since perhaps they had felt they nothing to lose and we’re ready to move on. I hope they bring on strong talent, including local talent from Hawaii. While I loved the two characters and actors, other series have flourished when characters departed and others replaced them. But I’m not sure how you replace McGarrett at the end of Season 8. Maybe they’ll make O’Loughlin an offer he can’t refuse and he’ll stay around beyond Season 8.

• A.F. says:

They ask for equal pay as Caan (Dano) and the actor who lays McGarett, since Dano missed a lot of episodes in the past seasons I get it why they wanted equal pay to both of them.

24. Kristie says:

Sorry, meant “were”, not “we’re”. It changes the sentence.

25. JC1 says:

That’s a shock. It makes me sad that it was over pay. They should have given them what they were asking for. :(

26. Casey says:

I’m not going to enjoy the show nearly as much without them, and look forward to seeing them in other projects. I can’t believe that Scott Caan is staying on the show longer than they did, given how restless Scott has clearly been shooting in Hawaii. Speaking of, I think these departures are especially terrible given there are a number of episodes Scott Caan contractually doesn’t appear in. Even with McGarrett front and center, that basically means it’ll just be McGarrett and Grover, plus a side of Jerry and this new person who may not even be liked by the fans. I think I’m in the minority that like Lori Weston in s2, but there is a chance that the new cast addition falls flat and that will be further highlighted in episodes where the cast is very thin, numbers-wise. I’ll still watch the show, but it will definitely dip in my dvr priority.

27. Daisy says:

I’ll probably still watch it but they weee legitimately tha main reasons I watched. Especially Daniel Dae Kim. Sadness.

28. Courtney Larson says:

Well, this sucks. With this likely being Alex’s last season and with Scott’s more recurring role (he wasn’t in a good portion of last season), I’m not sure how long the series will last with this news. New people don’t always go over well, especially when they are replacing beloved characters. I’ll watch, since I think this will be the final season, but it certainly isn’t going to be the same.

29. Linda says:

Pay them equally! It sure would have been nice for the original 5-0 team to finish together.

30. Anne says:

So the two actors of colour demand pay equity with their white costars and instead got fired. Well, CBS has showed its racist bias. I won’t be watching the show anymore

• Is that the reason, or could it have something to do with the stars of the show versus the rest of the cast, or even air time?

• steph says:

No, two series regulars with less screentime demand pay equity with their LEAD costars. Nothing more.

• Rick Katze says:

That is pure racism. They were on for far less air time than the two leads of the show and yet got almost the same pay. Back of the envelope answer suggest that based on time, they were on air they actually got paid more/secod.

• Bsk says:

Oh come on please. Let’s not bring up that old standby. They were not the lead actors and that’s It!

31. And THAT is the end of THAT show. These two fabulous and integral actors had to fight for equity in pay? CBS – your racism is showing.

32. Tracy288 says:

This sucks.

33. Tom McCown says:

Hope they both land on MUCH better shows.

34. Carol_R says:

I like both actors but I believe that they shouldn’t have cast two Korean actors for ethnic Chinese and Native Hawaiian roles. Those roles should have been cast with a Native Hawaiian and an actor of Chinese descent.

35. Billy meacham says:

Damn what about Alex his contract supposed to least until season 8 and after that, he leaves too?

36. Ange says:

Too bad. I don’t think Scott and Alex can carry the show. Scott has every other episode off.

37. susan jobbins says:

Brilliant actors 8 years I love 4 actors they all get on with each other in hope the series will continue

38. Grace Park added elegance to the show. She was always dressed to the 9’s when she went under cover an was always beliveable. As for Daniel Dea Kim he gave a toughness to the show in a calming way.
    They will be missed.

39. Bill says:

Time to announce this upcoming season as the last. No chin and Kono and no Mcgarrett after this season, just end it on a high note

40. Marie58 says:

I’ve watched this show from the start and have loved every episode. If Season 8 ends up being the last season, so be it. The cast and crew should be very proud of what they’ve done: Fantastic entertainment each and every week. All around superb acting. Will really miss Chino Ho and Kono.

I’ve read a few interviews with Alex O’Loughlin in which he says his 40+ year old body is getting tired. There were a handful of episodes this past season that included a LOT of particularly difficult, strenuous physical action for Steve. I don’t blame him for wanting to retire. :) (If it did go beyond Season 8, Commander McGarrett could potentially run a new, younger Five-0 team, minus field work. Just a thought.)

• steph says:

Those interviews have never made sense to me. If he doesn’t want to do so many action scenes – get a stunt double, problem solved! Not to mention a lot of the action is pretty over the top, if they wanted to keep him on the show they could easily scale it back a bit…

41. So new season will be the last one for sure. Such a loss 2 lose both characters – they should have been paid better because it’s the TEAM chemistry that makes this show so good and fun to watch. Oh well it was a good run while it lasted. Aloha …

42. Shannon says:

Can’t believe a great show is coming to an end. I will dearly miss Grace and Daniel. But Scott and Alex are back and I am sure season 8 will be great too

43. ZinniQ says:

Don’t care about Kono, but I love Chin! BoooooooHoooooooo!

44. Maxsmom says:

I got pulled in by Scott Caan and I would watch Chi McBride read the phone book but I get a funny feeling in my belly when I read that the Asian cast members lobbied to be paid as much as their white co stars and were instead let go… I’ll miss Daniel Dae more than Grace but I don’t think I’ll check in for Season 8.

• steph says:

Alex and Scott are the leads, that’s why they get paid more. No need for funny feelings…

• Diane says:

Does Scott Caan who is not in every episode, get paid more than Park , and especially Kim, who are in more?

• Carol says:

I believe they get paid per episode which means Scott actually took a huge pay cut by asking to do 5 less each season.

45. JenJ says:

OMG! WHAT??? Those 2 are the heart of the show along with Alex, how could they even consider carrying on the series without them?? I’m not a Scott Caan fan, sorry, he’s so whiny, I actually cringe when he’s on. The best scenes are those with Chin and Kono! I love Alex, but this is crazy, I’m not sure if I even want to watch anymore.

46. Michael McGee says:

Folks…read the article. It says money was the issue.

47. Michael Summerset says:

I was thinking of dropping the show anyway. If I do watch season 8 it will be over next summer, which is more likely to happen if season 8 is it’s last.

48. Christi says:

And for all of those saying they want to jump to new projects, how many projects openly and realistically cast Asian American actors? Just a question… when you look at TV, the diversity is lacking- as it is with movies. Both talented actors, hope they get opportunities moving forward. And no, I’m not trying to “make it a race thing.” It is a observation easily backed up with proof.

49. Amy Wegner says:

I am shocked by this news. Well, not so much with Grace, but with Daniel. However, I didn’t know he had a production company and that it already produced a TV show, so I get it a little better. It is a little disheartening, though, because of Scott’s diminished role in the last season or two.

It is sad though, if this Season 8 is truly the last, that they couldn’t stick it out for one more Season.