The Carmichael Show Cancelled at NBC

NBC has cancelled The Carmichael Show after three seasons, TVLine has learned.

“For three seasons (okay 2.5), I got to make a show that I love with my friends. It’s something I’ve wanted to do since I was 13,” he said in a statement obtained by our sister site Deadline. “Now, I’m excited to go make other things that I love. Thank you to every person who worked on or watched The Carmichael Show.”

Despite critical acclaim, the fate of The Carmichael Show had very much been in doubt. Earlier this month, Deadline reported that NBC was “nowhere near a renewal decision” on the multi-camera sitcom, with cast options set to expire today.

RELATED Peak TV Treasure: The Carmichael Show

“We are enormously proud of The Carmichael Show and Jerrod’s talent and vision to do a classic family sitcom that also taps into issues and relevant stories from the real world.  We thank and salute the cast, crew, and producers — and especially Jerrod — for three critically-acclaimed seasons,” NBC said via statement.

Word of cancellation comes just six episodes into Carmichael‘s 13-episode summer run, and just two days after NBC aired its delayed mass shooting episode, originally scheduled for June 14. At the time, Jerrod Carmichael said it would be a disservice for the network not to follow through and air the episode as planned, referring to the very idea of preemption as “criminal.” The show once again drew buzz one week later with an episode debating the use of the N-word.

The Carmichael Show was such a wonderful show that we choose to focus today not on its loss but on the three incredible seasons we had the pleasure to produce,” 20th Century Fox TV presidents Jonnie Davis and Howard Kurtzman said via statement.  “We are thankful to the brilliant Jerrod Carmichael and his talented cast, and to showrunner Danielle Sanchez-Witzel, our fantastic writers and devoted production team. It’s a rarity that a comedy series tackles the social and political issues of the day in such a clever and hilariously funny way. This show was special, and we will miss it.”

The Carmichael Show thus far this season is averaging 3.7 million weeekly viewers and a 0.8 demo rating, down 12 percent from its sophomore run.

The Carmichael Show‘s third (and final) season currently airs Wednesdays at 9/8c.

1. Steven says:

I hope there’s some sort of ending. I just caught up after binging so I’m really disappointed!

2. jason says:

Sad to see it go. This is their best season yet.

• GregJ. says:

I’m actually not surprised by this. I’ve been watching since season one and I never thought it would be renewed at the end of each season. I thought it was a great show hearing different opinions of different people who are from different generations and of a different sex and some with a different background.

• Starr says:

This is ONE of my FAVORITE TV SHOWS! It amazes me how they, can bring back old shows like Will & Grace and Roseanne which, will probably have stupid storylines and take off AMAZING shows like The Carmichael’s. I enjoyed Will & Grace and Roseanne during their time but, I feel this show deserved its spot light too! We will truly miss this show and the different topics they touched on weekly. DUMB MISTAKE NBC VERY DUMB!

3. T.W.S.S. says:

I’m sad to see it go, but like its episodes, it was short and impactful.

4. Mails24245 says:

NBC is rascist!

• rowan77 says:

He quit the show. Then they canceled it. That’s not racism.

• Jbj says:

While I certainly think accusing NBC of racism is an exaggeration, where do you get the idea that he quit? The article states that the cast members’ options weren’t picked-up, which is a top sign that their show has been cancelled by the studio.

• TV Gord says:

The second sentence/paragraph: “Notice of the show’s end spread Friday after Carmichael announced via statement that he would no longer lead the controversial comedy.”

• rowan77 says:

The story I read previously said Carmichael said he was leaving the show and then NBC announced they were cancelling it.

• WallE says:

What’s a rascist? Prejudice against rascals?

5. Rebecca says:

This season was…..strange and I felt almost taking the ‘controversial’ a little too much almost into the ‘Wow!’ I was not amused at the episodes this year as in before and almost stopped watching. I am not surprised, regardless of Mr. Carmichaels leaving, at its cancellation.
    This is just MY opinion!

• Bonnie says:

I totally agree. I stopped watching after the assisted suicide episode. Every week it seemed to be like a “very special episode of Blossom”. While I appreciate the comedy that makes you think attitude of some of the episodes last season, this season was just beating you over the head with heavy topics. I found myself laughing at some of the one liners and then thinking “I can’t believe I’m laughing at this.” Television can be escapism. This felt too heavy lately.

6. dragenphoto says:

Why is the actress who plays the mother always yelling / borderline screaming?

• GG says:

If you have time to post a comment, you have time to research the actress’ name. Seems you are more interested in starting a drama rather than having a conversation. You missed the point of this show.

• Jamie says:

This.

• dragenphoto says:

The question is still valid, regardless of what I call her. And the point of the show is to be controversial comedy, based on various views of the characters. And the outcome of each episode is still at the starting line. Carmichael still thinks drunken consent is ok, the father still believes Trump is good, the mother still thinks forced religion is good.

• WallE says:

I agree- even if you included the actress’ name, many of us wouldn’t know exactly who you meant anyway (i.e. sister, mother, neighbor, best friend, etc.), hence providing the character to reference from.
          My answer would be: that is likely how the character feels she needs to communicate in order to get a word in/her point across in such an opinionated & strong family.
          (GG’s response [which doesn’t answer your question] created more drama than your question, IMO.)

• Some people always speak loudly.
          Some of Loretta’s vocalization maybe from being a stage actress on Broadway.
          Play actors have to project their voice deep out to the audience.
          Anyway, I’ve met plenty of people that are always loud.
          You get used to it especially if it’s your neighbor or relative.

7. bad58runner says:

I have become a big fan of this show recently but I am appreciative of much it was willing to tackle such relevant and real life issues. Hoping it all wraps it nicely

8. Topsy Turvy says:

I grew up with the Norman Lear sitcoms of the 70s (All in the Family, Maude, Good Times, The Jeffersons, One Day at at Time) so I had high hopes for this show and tried and tried several times to give it a chance. But unlike those shows it just seemed to be people sitting around speechifying. The “issues” never seemed fully integrated into stories with characters. All talk, talk, talk.

• rowan77 says:

That’s a direction problem, not a writing problem. I agree that as interesting and funny and impactful the show could be, there was a lot of missed opportunity for movement. In All In The Family (for example) there was a lot of movement – Edith would run in and out of the kitchen and living/dining room, Mike would literally follow Archie as he’s walk away to ignore Mike. That said, I really like The Carmichael Show a lot and wish it wasn’t over.

• Jeff says:

But that’s what Lear shows did too

9. Tanisha says:

What a terrible decision!

10. a_lex89 says:

Noooooooo. Should’ve kept it as a utility player. It never was a huge player, but a steady one. Very disappointing.

11. Amber says:

I’m not trying to start anything. I have a for real question: did NBC change leadership or something? Because whoever is in charge seems like they’re on a mission to rid the network of any diversity.

• WallE says:

Networks pay a lot for shows that are developed/produced by a third-party studio (i.e. Warner Bros., Sony, etc.) rather than “in-house”. Add that to the not-so-stellar ratings (ad revenue), = not worth the costs to the network (it is a business)! See TWO BROKE GIRLS as another example.
      (and the fact that Carmichael was publically unhappy with certain NBC decisions AND his contract was up for renewal)

12. Eleze says:

Nooo I love this show!! Why!?

• WallE says:

I’m pretty sure they mention why in story/article. Check for it under the headline at the top, but above this comments section.

13. bostongreekgirl (@BostonGreekgirl) says:

So not surprised because NBC never renews good shows that push the envelope. This show talked about the things we are all talking about. I hope Netflix picks it up

14. JJ. says:

really disappointed in this! The show never seemed to get a whole lot of promotion from the network but I found it really refreshing to see how they took on controversial topics.

15. TV Gord says:

I’ve become philosophical about cancellations in my old age (55), but this one hurts. I had hoped it would hit its stride by now, ratings-wise, the way, say, Seinfeld did. I look forward to whatever Jerrod does next, but I am going to miss this family!

16. jericho says:

Booo… Just BOO NBC. Cancel the good stuff that has stuff to say and keep crap that jumped the shark like Blindspot and Black List.

17. Barbara Chesnik says:

I’m heartbroken! This is one of the best shows on TV. It’s funny, insightful, and brings current events into scrutiny. I will miss it

18. Judy Vee says:

What a shame. Loved this show. I came across Jerrod Carmichael doing a stand-up show on TV a few years ago and thought, “Who is this fabulous kid?” (Sorry, I’m 72.) I know there are more great things in store and look forward to seeing/hearing them. A great show! Thanks to all!

19. Big Cheddar says:

I read on some other sites that Jerrod quit the show and then NBC cancelled it. I’m not sure anyone else will pickup this show without it’s star.

• TV Gord says:

Yes, it’s mentioned in this story, too.

• herman1959 says:

I looks like NBC wasn’t going to re-sign the actors, so Jerrod Carmichael quit. Failing to renew the actors contracts basically amounts to a cancellation, which I guess is what Matt meant by his comment.

20. Anne says:

Well that was stupid. The show has been making more and more headline news. NBC should have put the show up on various streaming sites and let people catch up over the summer. I only just decided to start this show because of what it’s talking about.

21. sunshine says:

I’ve said it many times, this show never caught on because of it’s name. Jerrod thought more people knew he is a comedian than proved to be at all true. If you are naming a show after you then you have to be pretty well known. This thing just sunk in obscurity and it’s a shame because it really was pretty darn good. The name was a major mistake.

22. swell1983 says:

Absurd that they would get rid of such a funny show with a well talented cast.

23. pickles says:

NBC plays favorites such as Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. Both women had low rated shows but kept renewing their shows. Feys ‘ new Fall show is horrible,in my opinion, but NBC loves her so someone had to go . The Carmichael Show.

• kip says:

I can’t speak to whether or not it came down to Great News vs Carmichael show because I’m not an expert of NBC, but they did certainly pass on Fey’s Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. I just don’t understand why they make it so hard to watch their comedies. Irregular scheduling, partial seasons, and summer seasons make it increasingly difficult to become a regular viewer of their sitcoms. I, for one, would happily watch a Thursday evening of Carmichael, Superstore, Good News, and the Good Place.

24. BrookeBS says:

Dumb move, NBC, dumb move.

25. Bejuan says:

I am so very very disappointed with this dumb move to cancel the Carmichael show. I love this show!!! I will miss this family. I will have to decide if I will continue watching NBC😞

26. Jess says:

This show had near perfect comedic timing. Things were said and discussed that most people are thinking. The ensemble cast was phenomenal. Seems like there wasn’t much money put into advertising the show. Typical NBC move. I guess all good things come to an end; but it didn’t have to be so soon. I’m sad to see it go.

27. This was the best comedy on television. Great writing and performances. Made me laugh out loud every week. Please re-new this absolutely top notch sitcom. I can’t believe we couldn’t get “Two Broke Girls” off the air years ago, but will cancel the most intelligently written show after such a short run.
    Shame on you, NBC, for not hyping such a fine show.

28. tasha slaughter says:

I’m really sad I love this show

29. Alex says:

We cant complain how there is no black shows on TV when an intelligent funny series like this one comes out and we don’t support it.

30. Deborah Olson says:

I am truly disappointed that this show is being cancelled. It was smart, funny and left us feeling a bit wiser! Great show with a fabulous cast! We will miss the Carmichael family in our home! So sad!

31. I loved, loved the show! Sorry to see it’s ending so soon!

32. Bill says:

This show is and was discussing. Glad it was cancelled. NBC show have never made a show so discussing. Making fun of black families. Making fun of our President our service member our pledge to allegiance. Stereotyping people. Thank you for cancelling. The first episode where black families went out and stole TVs was enough for me. Very bad taste.