Exclusive
The Jetsons Revival

Live-Action Jetsons Series Orbiting Warner Bros., Robert Zemeckis to EP

Warner Bros. is angling to reintroduce TV audiences to George Jetson, albeit with a substantial twist.

TVLine has learned exclusively that the studio is developing The Jetsons, a live-action sitcom remake of Hanna-Barbera’s beloved ’60s animated series about a family residing in the futuristic, outer-space utopia known as Orbit City.

A Warner Bros. spokesperson declined to comment, but sources confirm that the studio — which has hired Family Guy EP Gary Janetti to shepherd the potential series — will begin shopping the multi-cam project around to broadcast and cable networks in the coming weeks. Janetti would also serve as an EP alongside Robert Zemeckis and Jack Rapke. Jackie Levine is a Co-EP. Nickleby, Inc. and Compari Entertainment would produce in association with Warner Bros. Television.

The move comes as Warner Bros. continues to develop an animated Jetsons feature film, a quasi remake of the 1990 pic that was directed by Hanna-Barbera founder Joseph Barbera.

The original Jetsons series was set in the year 2062 and ran from 1962-63. The new Jetsons would similarly be set 100 years in the future (i.e. 2118).

1. Amit says:

If this goes past developmental stage, I’d love to see Cheryl Hines as Jane Jetson.

2. Shaun Monroe says:

2118 is hundred years in the future. 3018 is a thousand.

3. ncmacasl says:

so the “Twist” is live action??

4. Tony says:

Sounds awesome

5. This was one of my favorite cartoons, so I’m PSYCHED about this! OMG. Casting ideas, anyone? Cheryl Hines would be cute as Jane, but who else? Hmm.

6. TV Fanatic says:

So hope this moves forward to series! Just glad the plan is for a sitcom and not a dark spin because that seems to be the solution for making reboots “new” nowadays…

7. Andrea Paul says:

If this is real I am totally stoked! The Jetsons has always been one of my favorite cartoons growing up!! Please let this be real!!

8. Brock says:

I’m in!

9. kirads09 says:

If they do it right, could be good. Any casting thoughts? Too late now but back in the Jerry McGuire days Jonathan Lipnicki would’ve been the perfect Elroy. Bob Odenkirk for George. Not sure who else.

10. Max says:

What is the “twist”?

11. I’m excited but I find real people remakes of cartoons lose much of of the original charm and imagination.

12. ScottJ says:

On a sitcom budget the show is not going to be afford any of the futuristic things like flying cars. All we’ll get are attempts at strange clothing and maybe rather human looking robots. They may as well not bother.

13. Jooshua says:

I always wanted to see Jim Carrey and Nicole Kidman star in a live action version when I was younger. Which is odd because I always wanted them to star in a Bewitched movie when I was younger too. I guess I kind of got to see Kidman as Samantha in Bewitched.. but not really lol.

• I loved the BEWITCHED movie… but hated Will Farrell as Darren. I always thought they should have used Jim Carrey. I read he was offered the part, but turned it down. Bummer!~

14. Jared says:

Sounds like a cool take on The Jetsons. I loved the cartoons as a kid.

15. A.D. says:

Nathan Fillion for George or Zachary Levi …..Danny Devito Mr. Spacely….Molly Ephraim for Judy…

16. Mario500 says:

I would had proposed making a “live-action” program similar to “The Jetsons”, but with different characters and a different universe if I were the person responsible for the idea of a “live-action” program based on “The Jetsons” being developed at Warner Bros.

17. Handsome Jack says:

Who wants to put money down that they *won’t* be white?

18. Sissy says:

Hmmm, I don’t know. Why can’t they come up with something new instead of re-working and re-hashing a classic cartoon? Maybe some things are better left alone. I’m sure we can all name live-action remakes of classic TV cartoons that were just ‘meh’.

19. Bartimeus says:

Lost me at multi-cam, ugh.

20. John says:

Sounds like a spot for Tim Allen.

21. Michael Summerset says:

The flying car is definitely out. In fact there’s so many gadgets in the show it would be difficult to work them all in. The hardest part is to not make it silly like Quark or Homeboys from Outer Space.

22. SHARON WATKINS says:

I think Nathan Fillion would be perfect as George Jetson. If you want someone who is actually a small person for his boss try Warwick Davis. If not try Alan Tudyk a great character actor. Alyson Hannigan, Summer Glau , or Zooey Deschanel would make a great Jane. Bailee Madison would be Judy Jetson.

23. Somehow I see this being about as entertaining as the rebooted Munsters, Get Smart, The Monkees, etc. The lack of original writers, original actors and trying to “modernize” it will leave none of the original charm.

24. Jc says:

Dream cast: Ben Stiller as George. Elizabeth Banks as Jane. Elle Fanning as Judy. Astro would be an actual Great Dane.

25. Jc says:

Of course Danny DeVito would have to play Spacely. Harry Hamlin or John GOodman should play Cogswell.