Fall TV Preview
This Is Us

This Is Us Promotes Pair to Series Regular Ahead of Season 2

This Is Us is expanding its family of series regulars ahead of its anticipated second season.

TVLine has learned that recurring players Jon Huertas and Alexandra Breckenridge have been promoted to full-fledged series regulars.

Huertas’ Miguel, who’s been a This Is Us fixture from the start, is one of a handful of characters appearing in multiple timelines. In the past, he’s the best friend of Jack (Milo Ventimiglia). In the present, he’s the husband of Jack’s widow Rebecca (Mandy Moore) and stepdad to Kevin (Justin Hartley), Kate (Chrissy Metz) and Randall (Sterling K. Brown).

Breckenridge, meanwhile, joined the cast in the middle of Season 1 as Sophie, Kevin’s ex-wife. The two reconnected after a 12-year absence and, by the end of Season 1, rekindled their romance.

This Is Us Season 2 kicks off Tuesday, Sept. 26 at 9/8c.

1. Marco Piazzo says:

Miguel is the wife of Rebecca? Is there something we’re gonna find out about him in season 2?

2. John036 says:

Yesss so happy to have Alexandra full time!

3. T.W.S.S. says:

I am convinced that Sophie has a child and am waiting for that reveal.

4. Julie says:

Ughhh. Was I the only one thinking that the guy playing Miguel was an awful actor ? He made the character really annoying.
    I liked Sophie but this arc really came out of nowhere …

• Ann says:

Yeah’s Sophie’s story came out of nowhere, but so did the marriage of Miguel to Rebecca. This family has a long history, many of which hasn’t been revealed yet. So, character might seemingly pop out of nowhere…but as long as it make sense to the story of these characters, I’m fine with it because we do not know how many other characters exist that we don’t know of yet. Like someone said, they think Sophie has a child. We’ll have to wait and see about that. The creator has stated that the writers have outlined the main things of each character’s life, so these characters and events aren’t being made up as they go along, they’re just being revealed to us over several episodes or seasons.

• april-ann says:

The adult-Sophie story came out of nowhere but the Rebecca Miguel marriage was a reveal. Both were surprises but there’s a difference.

• Ann says:

I don’t see a difference. Miguel was introduced to viewers in the second episode. He was seen in flashbacks only until the very end where it was “revealed” to us out of nowhere that he is married to Rebecca in the present day. In comparison, Sophie was only seen in flashbacks during that birthday part episode, in which she was introduced as Kate’s best friend who seemed to show more interest in Kevin than here…until the very end of the episode where it was “revealed” to us out of nowhere that she indeed did marry and divorce Kevin. What’s the difference?

• Ann says:

Ugh. Sorry for the typos. I really wish this thing let us edit our comments to edit typos!

• Ann says:

I actually liked Sophie’s out of nowhere reveal better than Miguel’s because her story tied-in better to the flashback, where a young Kevin, at that young age, reveals to his parents that he loves Sophie. Compare that to Miguel’s out of nowhere reveal and his flashback, which made him seem like a jerk, calling his best friend’s wife “hot” and telling him what a lucky man he is for bagging her…was he infatuated with his best friend’s wife?? Sick…how long did he wait after Jack die before he “bagged” his “hot” wife?

• mrmcgee says:

It was “at the end.” I can’t remember the exact episode but we knew but the Thanksgiving episode (#8) that they were married in present day.

• Joe says:

I don’t think it’s necessary the actor, I think it’s the combination of unconvincing ageing makeup, and that we don’t yet know how he got together with Rebecca. At the moment, we just think he’s the slimy best friend who made a move on Rebecca when Jack died.

5. Dannie C says:

Meh..Miguel

6. Kay says:

Yay to Sophie! I really like her, and am hoping this means they’re able to work through the distance. I’m really indifferent about Miguel. He’s fine, I guess.

7. peegee says:

Great show

8. I loved him as Espo in Castle, but agree, he has been odious in This Is Us, past and present times.

9. Jec says:

The whole Sophie arc was so forced and frankly was just boring. I don’t buy her and Kevin’s relationship at all.

10. Joey Padron says:

Happy Alexandra is promoted to series regular! I like her character Sophie!

11. Fran says:

Just happy to see Jon!

12. Phil says:

After a crappy day this couldn’t make me happier! I love Sophie! I wanted Kevin with his costar with the glasses until Sophie came to light! They have become my favorite couple!

13. parstl says:

Sophies ok but I thought he had better chemistry with the playwright shorter brunette played by the AT&T spokeswoman (Lilly), Milana Vantrup (sp?).

• RichieS says:

Sophie’s great but I hope she doesn’t meet the same fate as Alexa’s last character on The Walking Dead.

14. Pat says:

Damn. I was under the impression that “This Is Us” was going to be more of an anthology series with a completely new cast each season. :-(

15. Cas says:

I love Sophie. The chemistry she has with Kevin and the background story are great. She is an improvement over the other two.