Fall TV Preview
Once Upon a Time Season 7 Spoilers

Once Upon a Time's Season 7 Premiere Title Revealed: What Does It Mean?

At long last, the Internet has conjured a fresh new crumb of intel on Once Upon a Time‘s new and somewhat-mysterious season.

Following a weeks-long drought of information in the wake of the Season 6 finale, which came on the heels of the wedding/musical episode and set the stage for a somewhat “rebooted” Season 7 — in which Henry Mills (now played by The Walking Dead alum Andrew J. West) is a young adult with a storybook-toting daughter, Lucy, he can’t seem to remember — series co-creator Adam Horowitz shared on Twitter the title for the fall opener:

My very first impression is that Hyperion Heights will be the name of the new (Seattle-adjacent?) “home base” for the series, seeing as Storybrooke, Maine will no longer be the primary setting. But as for the title’s obvious “DNA,” Hyperion Avenue was the location of Walt Disney Studios prior to 1939, while Hyperion is the name of Disney’s children’s books imprint. Hyperion was also the name of a powerful Greek titan (the “God of Watchfulness, Wisdom and the Light”), as well as assorted Marvel comic book characters.

UPDATE: Horowitz has also revealed the title of Episode 2. As previously reported, ABC President Channing Dungey hinted that Hook, the Evil Queen and Rumplestiltskin will be living under new identities due to a new curse.

Not that any hardcore fan needs reminding, Once Upon a Time‘s Season 7 cast includes West and Jane the Virgin moppet Alison Fernandez (playing scrappy Lucy), plus returning vets Lana Parrilla, Robert Carlyle and Colin O’Donoghue.

Exiting series lead Jennifer Morrison is expected to appear in one episode (likely the premiere), while Ginny Goodwin, Josh Dallas, Emilie de Ravin and Rebecca Mader are not yet scheduled to appear — though the show’s bosses have left the door open for possible guest-starring encores.

Once Upon a Time this fall will move to Fridays at 8/7c; a premiere date has not yet been announced.

Want more scoop on Once, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Jen says:

Doesn’t matter. Shows cancelled this season. Everyone would have preferred it ended with S6.

2. David Hess says:

Now if they could only let the identity of Lucy’s mother slip. Maybe, Esmeralda?

3. Claire. says:

No thanks. And let’s add Storybrooke to the list of characters we’ve lost this season. The show’s setting was practically as essential to the heart of the show as some of the leads.

4. I was trying to think of which Disney characters haven’t shown up on the show. I’d like to see the revamped Once start using different Disney characters we haven’t seen yet, like The Rescuers, Bernard and Bianca, for instance. Instead of Mice they could be real people, maybe? Or how about Mary Poppins, The Aristocats (also humans). Or Mowgli and Baloo. Lady & The Tramp, etc, etc.

There is still a ton of potential left here, it just needs the proper direction.

Imagine if humanized versions of The Aristocats lived next door to adult Henry and kept him at all hours of the night with their music.

• ninergrl6 says:

I’ve long been hoping to see anthropomorphized Scar and Mufasa from The Lion King. In fact, that’s what I *thought* was happening a few seasons ago until it turned out to be Jekyll & Hyde.

• TheDuck0 says:

I’m going to be “that guy” here and remind you that Mary Poppins (who was created by P. L. Travers), The Rescuers (written by Margery Sharp), and many other “Disney” characters were made famous by the studio but were created by other people and were first introduced in books. I love many Disney movies, but it annoys me greatly to see these characters referred to as “Disney” characters. Give credit to the creators of the properties…

• I’m well aware of that, but at the same time when we talk about these characters we are speaking specifically about their Disney versions.

When we say Cinderella, we don’t mean the one from the version in which the stepsisters chopped off their feet, for example. We specifically mean the ones from the animated toon.

On that, yet separate, note, it stands to reason to at the very least assume that Robin Hood, Marion, and all the other characters from that story seen in Storybrooke are based on the versions from the Disney toon in which they are all animals rather than on the original version of the story, which means that it is possible to see anthropomorphized versions of animal characters in OUAT.

• Butch says:

I would think Disney could not use characters they do not have the rights to even if they were in Disney films. This would include Mary Poppins and probably Winnie the Poo. The characters they can use are public domain like Snow White and Cinderella or ones that were works for hire like the Frozen characters or perhaps the Cars or Toy Story original characters like Buzz and Woody.

• Disney is making Mary Poppins 2 right now.

• Butch says:

Yes but that does not mean they can use the character on a TV show. They have the right to use the character in a new movie. They may have the right to use the character elsewhere, I don’t know, but their rights may be limited to the new film and appearances at the theme parks.

5. Jen says:

Maybe this is poor grammar on my part but I have to ask. Jennifer Morrison has stated that she has no interest in abandoning the character and she said that she’d come back for more episodes but for now all she can promise is the premiere. So why doesn’t this article mention that? Why doesn’t this article say JMO is in at least one episode and include her with the rest to encore more.

I don’t think JMO will only appear in the premiere and if they bring her back just to kill her off you can kiss this season goodbye before it’s even started. One thing fans hate more than anything is when you waste their time and if Emma dies, that destroys the last 6 seasons.

So I hope we see everyone return for more than just one episode.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Jennifer Morrison right now is contracted to appear in one episode, likely the premiere. (Also, I saw her play two weekends ago, it/she was quite good!)

• Jen says:

I understand that, but why doesn’t this article mention that she’s willing to appear in more episodes but for now all she can promise is the premiere cause she does not know her schedule moving forward? Cause the way it’s worded, you’re making it sound like JMO is just doing the premiere then leaving for good. I hope that is not the case. I want her back as well as everyone else that left down the line especially if this does turn out to be the last season.

• Penny says:

Jennifer Morrison said herself that she chose to be done with Emma Swan. She was invited back for another season but she felt Emma’s story had been told. She also said in her official statement that she would be back for ONE episode. If she said she would do more in other interviews, Matt is probably going off of her official statement. (And Matt has tons of inside knowledge on Once!)

• Jen says:

No she did not say that at all. She said in a podcast that she had no interest in abandoning the character and would be open to doing more episodes but for now all she can promise is the one episode. Because she does not know her schedule for next season. This wasn’t in her official statement. She’s also been telling fans at her show that she’s doing a couple episodes this season.

• jj says:

As Penny explained, in her official statement, Jennifer mentioned that she agreed to do one episode. The reference to what her schedule permits is in regards to her availability to attend conventions. Matt is reporting facts, not wishful thinking.

• Jen says:

Yes and then in later articles she said that she’d be open to doing more but for now all she can promise is the premiere because she doesn’t know what her schedule is going to look like down the line. She’s also told fans at her show that she plans on doing a couple episodes this season but breaks in between them.

The schedule permits is to more episodes, not the con availability, that was a whole other issue.

Note none of this was said in her instagram post.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Thank you; better to (possibly) be pleasantly surprised (at some point) than crestfallen. Plus, the more that a polite “maybe” gets re-re-reported, the more likely the Internet “Telephone Game” will start turning it into something resembling a “yes.”

• The maybe was in response to a distraught fan so I wouldn’t read too much into that. Let’s only assume the one episode until we hear differently.

• Wrong .Jen said very clearly in zJan” I don’t wanna do this forever,for 10,12 seasons “& in May announcing her denature she said” I’ve Agrred to do or am contracted to do ONE more episode and that’s all I can promise”..She said she’s happy with how Emmas story wrapped up and felt that her story has been told she said.
          She choose to leave to pursue other work and not have to travel/commute so much for several different jobs and spend more time with her family and friends.She was asked back but said no.

• Brandy says:

Based on her leaving,only announcing her departure an episode before& day after CSgot married and her ducking out of cons due to other work commitments,I’d say it safe to assume her priorities and loyalties aren’t with Once anymore or its fans and I wouldn’t expect more than one episode she’s agreed to in s7.

• ninergrl6 says:

I saw her play a couple weeks ago too and I really enjoyed it. The whole cast did a great job.

6. JDH says:

I don’t really know why they picked it up, but moved it to Friday. It’s not like it’s going to get better ratings there…

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

The move isn’t about improving Once‘s numbers, it’s about improving ABC Sunday. To Tell the Truth pulls the same rating but with a larger audience and at a fraction of the cost of a scripted, FX-using drama.

• Temperance says:

There is a recent trend of Friday shows lasting quite a while on network. Grimm, Hawaii Five-O, Originals, etc. Even MacGuyver started on Fridays and survived. In this day and age of DVR and downloads, it’s hardly a death sentence by any means. I pretty much never watch live TV anymore.

• jj says:

yes, instead of being a death sentence, it’s more of a lifeline for low rated shows. The networks don’t expect/require Friday shows to have really high ratings.

7. laurelnev says:

I almost think OUAT should have switched to an “anthology format” after S3 or so. This “reboot” should be the next “book” in the anthology, and should be called OUAT: The Next Generation, or something better, but you get my drift. Wonderland. although awful, did introduce a couple of strong characters. And it was kind of its own “book” in the “anthology.” I think at this point, treating next season more like a spin off or a continuation of something that ended rather than really another season of the same show.

8. John stambulich says:

Friday’s
    Are you fricken kidding me?
    This show was the only show I could watch when it aired on Sunday’s on tv because I work during the week
    That’s fricken stupid

• jj says:

I’m sure the ABC executives are sorry they didn’t ask you about your work schedule before making their decision.

• Temperance says:

The tiny violins are playing for you. Spend the three bucks a month and get a DVR.

• grazelled says:

Question, where do you get a DVR for $3/month? That’s the real magic, great deal. Of course mine’s linked to my satellite service. Anyway, if I watch OUAT I always watch it on my DVR.

• Lol.Thers OnDemand,dvr,streaming sites likes Amazon,Netflix,Hulu or Evdn abc site & abc app.Or Thers the box sets when it comes out.Thers plenty of ways of ways to catch up/keep up with it.I sometimes work nights or sometimes just til prime time so I have to dvr or OnDemand my shows.

9. Eric O'Brien says:

Since Disney has acquired Marvel, I’ve always thought it would be cool if they had a storyline involving some third-tier Marvel characters temporarily showing up. The show does exist outside reality after all…

10. Kepler says:

I don’t know, I feel like I’m the only person excited about this revamping, and in fact, I’m more excited for next season than I’ve been about Once since, like, season 2. Personally, I feel like Emma’s story *is* finished. I haven’t liked any of her arcs since Frozen (because for all the weirdness of those episodes, I felt the character of Emma specifically experienced a lot of growth then). I’m a little wary, just because it seems like they have hit almost *all* the big ones by now (Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Mulan, Aladdin, Frozen, Rapenzel, Brave, Peter Pan, Snow White, etc), I mean, what is even left? Tiana, I suppose. I’m not counting Pocahontas for obvious reasons. Maybe they could expand on Mulan some, her storyline was kind of left open? I don’t know. Or maybe they’re going to just forego fairy tales completely and make the storyline about bringing everyone back? I need more information about what next season is going to at least look like.

• More info will come out in July at Comic Con and when filming starts.
      I’m kinda looking Foward to it -live Regina & Rumple & I still enjoy the show.OTOzH,I’m wary cause it’ll be weird seeing Henry as a fault ,dad,cynic now after 6 seasons of being a kid and ” truest believer”.

• I’m looking forward to it too. I too was bored with Emma (and the Charmings), but as long as Rumple and Regina are there, I’m there.

11. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

I don’t see the point of this…..I think it’s WACK to reboot and drop most of the major characters/actors, even tho. JM says she wanted out. I really liked the show it should’ve end with the S6 finale.

12. clarep says:

I’m just worried about what happens between hook and emma. since hook is coming back and emma isn’t. I don’t want Emma dying because that would be really way to separate them.

13. Butch says:

I am surprised the show has not been syndicated yet. No showings on ABC Family or whatever they call that station now or TNT. It would fit in nicely between Charmed and Supernatural on TNT. Now would seem to be the perfect time to do this as the show is being rebooted.

14. Lisa says:

I just don’t see how Hook is going to work in the long run after his journey with his true love Emma for so long…

15. Tony Cynor says:

Moved to Friday. Probably means it is not expected to survive. They are probably right,

16. Len says:

I hope to see Emma again and Emma/Hook

17. ninergrl6 says:

I’m very excited by the prospect of “A Pirate’s Life.” Hook has been my favorite character since season 2, and even though I’m not happy about some of the cast departures (particularly Jen), I’m VERY curious to see what our pirate will be up to now.