Downward Dog Cancelled

Ratings: Downward Dog Ends on Low Note, World of Dance Holds Steady

In a word, woof.

ABC’s Downward Dog on Tuesday delivered 2 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating (per finals), and then with a second episode/series finale mustered just 1.7 mil and a 0.4 — marking the freshman comedy’s two least-watched, lowest-rated outings.

Opening ABC’s night, a special installment of The Bachelorette (4.5 mil/1.2) was down 14 percent from Monday’s telecast.

Over on NBC, America’s Got Talent (12.4 mil/2.5) dipped just a smidgen and as usual dominated the night in both measures. World of Dance (7.5 mil/1.8) meanwhile held steady.

The CW’s iZombie (860K/0.3) was steady with its season finale, which earned an average TVLine reader grade of “A-.”

Want scoop on any of the above shows? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. kmw says:

America’s Got Talent and ratings. a 2.4 even though it has dropped, is terrific. Too bad for Downward Dog, its a shame it couldn’t find an audience. And good for I Zombie for staying steady

2. Gerald says:

I know iZombie got renewed, I assume it is in part due to the +7 numbers because that doesn’t seem like good ratings. I enjoyed the finale but not sure how this will look next season.

3. Lynn says:

The Bachellorette didn’t air in Chicago until after midnight so that could affect ratings.

4. Yoko says:

Announcing cancellation of Downward Dog perhaps people dropped it you think? Last episode was the sweetest smartest thing. Show too smart for summer audiences.

• Lani says:

Agreed. And I’m so glad there wasn’t a show-ending cliffhanger based on the title.

• kay harrington says:

it is a great show. made me feel happier watching it. I’m really sad that they are so short sighted.

• sb says:

I am really disappointed that this show was cancelled. I agreed with you. I don’t think people actually watched and listened to it. I thought it was smart and touching.

5. Kimberly says:

I really like Downward Dog…the star is of course the dog. Every episode he has me laughing about something he says. This thing between Pepper and Martin is so funny. I just love how he thinks about his life with Nan and all he does for her. This show should be giving another chance or time slot.

• I think the problem is no one, not even the dog, was really a likable character. The first few episodes were especially poor. Nothing to bring a viewer back, though it did pick up a little as it went along.

• kay harrington says:

you are wrong. the dog was wonderful and charming and sweet. The girl was going through a character arc where she was getting to be less selfish and I think her BF was really cute and charming too.

• kay harrington says:

totally agree with you.

6. Gwen says:

Favorite show! I loved it

7. D says:

Can TVLine editors do an article on the point of the midseason and late-spring shows? It seems like every year, when the networks announced shows I find interesting but they schedule them later in the season, be it in Winter or Spring, I knew right away that those are shows they are dumping. Has there been a breakout bonafide hit premiering not during Fall? Why do they even bother ordering shows only to just dump them anyway? I’m honestly curious about this…

This of course, does not apply to The CW, which seems to got into a good rhythm of having Fall and Spring slates of shows, but on the major networks, it seems like Winter/Spring is just a dumping ground of shows that won’t last (More often, the high concept shows)

• KLS says:

Earler, fans made a list of successful shows that premiered in the winter/spring. You’d be surprised how many there are (Castle, Grey’s Anatomy, How to Get Away with Murder, etc) and not all of them are from ABC.
      There are many release dates on broadcast TV now, especially with the NFL invading prime time. A lot more than just Fall & Winter.
      It’s true though, that when you hear that a new show didn’t make a Fall schedule you kind of think that it isn’t worth watching.

8. Eva Lilith says:

Smart, fresh storytelling on network television (or anywhere): This Dog did not have its day. Such a shame that Downward Dog got lost among the formulaic, scripted reality shows and vapid comedy mainstays that pass for entertainment these days. This is a huge loss for all of us who fell in love with Martin and Nan the moment we saw their truly original love story.

9. Vanessa says:

I love downward dog. It’s fresh and clever; a really great idea and the actors are just perfect, dog and voice included. Watched every episode. Enjoyed it so much. Hard to believe with all the dog lovers out there that it didn’t do better. Maybe a better time slot would have helped. Here’s hoping that another network picks it up maybe Netflix.

10. Carol C says:

I, too, loved Nan and Martin and am very sorry they won’t be returning. The final episode was particularly touching.

11. LISA COSSEBOOM says:

NOOOOOOOO best show!!!!!!!!!

12. Kathy marshall says:

We love ‘Downward Dog’. It is different which is so refreshing. We will follow it to another network or Hulu or Netflix. Go Martin, Go Nan.

13. bluepanda37 says:

I’m so sad about this show getting cancelled! I didn’t exactly love nans story but it is pretty real without sugar coating and happy endings. My reason for loving this show is the dogs pov. And how he looks at things and talks in modern ways, with metaphors, and misunderstanding as a dog would or a young innocent does to life. I am very displeased to see this show go. The best show by far that involves the step over the line of a dog’s life, far different and everything that shows like Wilfred and others before it were missing and not reaching.

14. I loved “Downward Dog” – the only show in a long time that I actually looked forward to. Don’t like talent shows, most game shows (Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune the exception) people falling off plastic things into the water, seeing the same movies over and over, not even liking the bachelorette this time. It’s just boring. The dumbing down of American has been completed.

15. PatriciaLee says:

Thank you, ABC, for giving us Downward Dog. It was sweet and filled with heart. Thank you for your kindness and caring. And thank you Allison and Ned. The husband is reading over my shoulder and asking, “Who wrote that sentimental stuff?” He had a belly laugh when I told him it was mine. I was glued to every moment of Downward Dog, and he wasn’t. I fell in love with Martin, and thought it was wonderful to show his adjustment from being a rescue dog. The husband couldn’t get beyond the grammar writing choices. His loss.

16. Eric firth says:

My favorite comedy in years. Any time I absolutely fall in love with a show it gets canceled. If this show finds a new home I will not only watch every episode I will tell everyone I know to watch as well.

17. SP says:

Downward Dog is one of my favorite shows and I am so disappointed it got canceled. I think that with only 8 episodes, ABC didn’t give it enough time to catch on. Shows like Seinfeld took a while to catch on, so why not give this show a chance instead of just looking at the ratings. I will follow it to another network, so I hope this is not the end of DD!

• Joseph Trem says:

Agreed! DD was the best and it deserves more episodes. The cast did announce that they will shop it to other outlets, and hopefully it’ll get picked up again. Personally, I have high hopes it will, because it is an original series and has potential to attract a good audience. I don’t think this is the end of the show.

18. I love Downward Dog..and am so disappointed in this cancellation. It doesn’t surprise me that ABC won’t give it another shot, they tend to stick with mindless garbage. Hoping the producers can find another home for this show..it’s smart, funny, emotional…and refreshing.

19. Renee says:

Downward Dog was something I looked forward to every week. It was a smart, well written show. Who in the world is watching the stupid shows like World of Dance, Gong Show and all the other stupid stuff that is on right now? I’m sad that I can’t laugh at Martin’s insightful and innocent look at the world. I miss that world..

20. George says:

It might have been a good show if the writers were fired and new ones brought in. If they had followed story lines with the dog being the focal point, and not the idiot friends, the dumb a*s annoying boss, etc. It might have worked.

21. Leona. Fatino says:

I love this show! Martin is adorable! Please find a spot for this show!

22. Leona. Fatino says:

I love Martin! Please find a new place for this show! Maybe Animal Planet?

23. Jari says:

Aww! I love Downward Dog!!

24. Deborah Binversie says:

Please don’t cancel this show. I’ve been telling family and friends to watch. It speaks to every relationship at all stages. I LOVE watching this show!

25. j. h. says:

you guys got it wrong. downward dog is good, needs to be brought back.

26. Who cares says:

I love this show! If you cancel it would really suck… And you keep the bachelor & the bachelor in paradise .. really that shows (ABC) ur integrity you guys don’t have any

27. Larry says:

Downward Dog was a good show. I’m sorry to see it canceled. The last episode should not be what the ratings for the show was measured by. DD was preempted by a ballgame in Chicago. And wasn’t until after the game did the show air. The ballgames does not have an ending time, so whenever it ends it ends. A lot of people are not gonna watch a boring ball game until it ends. I would like to see it given another chance or maybe another network can pick it up.

28. kay harrington says:

i love downward dog. The dog is great and charming and the show is heartwarming. Shame on you for cancelling it. You keep putting this crap reality tv on when you have quality shows like this you give up on after just one season. It didn’t get time to find its audience.

29. Marleen says:

I just found Downward Dog and now it’s cancelled? Sad. What a refreshing show in this age of mindless violence. The network barely gave it a chance. I hope another network will pick it up. How about Animal Planet or Disney?

30. Shannon M Madrid says:

Downward dog is such an amazing show. Everyone I talk to loves it. It has great Facebook following for only having a few episodes. Bring it back!!!

31. Linda says:

Loved Downward Dog. It should have been aired between 2 established comedy shows. It got stronger with each episode . The whole world is not captivated by the Bachelor/ Bachelorette . Most comments are positive . Hope it gets a second chance .

32. Faye Doyle says:

Loved, loved, loved Downward Dog! Only thing on TV that wasn’t crap! Please bring it back!

33. Toula Guilfoyle says:

DOWNWARD dog was BRILLIANT, refreshing, SAD IT’S NOT RENEWED,UNFORTUNATELY STUPID REALITY SHOWS SUCK UP THE MONEY 4 JUDGED,DUMIFICATION OF AMERICANS