Post Mortems
iZombie Recap

iZombie EP Talks Undead Twist, Ravi's Fate and 'Radical Change' in Season 4

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Tuesday’s iZombie finale.

Welcome to the brave new iZombie world.

The CW drama’s season finale on Tuesday set up what will be a very different Season 4, with the undead out in the open. But before we get into what that means for Liv & Co., let’s recap just how zombies came out of hiding.

After discovering that a faction inside of Fillmore Graves, led by Carey Gold, was responsible for Wally and Vivian’s deaths, as well as the Aleutian flu outbreak, Chase Graves shot his right-hand woman dead. But it was too late to abandon her Plan B, so Chase committed to it, inserting zombie blood into the flu vaccine. As a result, every person who got the shot — Clive’s newly in-the-know ex Dale Bozzio included — began to turn into a member of the undead.

Via a news broadcast, Chase revealed the truth to the world, assuring the human population that Seattle’s many brain-eaters will stay put — as long as some of the dead donate their noggins to keep them fed. (Carey’s plan, it turns out, was to create more zombies, not procure more brains, because she viewed Plan A, aka Zombie Island, as a cowardly death sentence.)

Elsewhere, Major had Chase turn him back into a zombie following the massacre of his buddies and Natalie, while Ravi decided to test a zombie vaccine on himself by having Liv scratch him.

Below, executive producer Rob Thomas previews the show’s new direction, and why it’s a challenge for Liv and Major. Plus, the EP teases Ravi’s “fun” storyline, Blaine’s new venture and more.

TVLINE | Having the citizens of Seattle — and the rest of the country — learn about zombies really opens up the world of the show. What are you excited to explore with that?
Oh my God, the whole thing! It’s going to be a radical change. Zombie-ism is out in the open, so it’s going to be the top news story in the world. Seattle just became, effectively, a nuclear power. In fact, each of the 10,000 zombies now living in Seattle is its own sort of nuclear threat, if he or she wanders out of the city and scratches someone. I’m really interested in playing the dynamic of humans and zombies trying to live side-by-side. It’s going to create all sorts of issues this coming season.

Liv and Clive are still going to be solving murders, but now they’ll be solving cases of murdered humans. Fillmore Graves will have their own detectives solving cases of murdered zombies. All of the detectives in the Seattle homicide division will have their own zombies helping them solve murder cases because they all understand the benefits of being able to use the memories of murder victims.

It’s all going to feel very different. It’s going to feel a lot like West Berlin — God, we’ve used a lot of analogies — [and] like every day, you’re in the middle of the Cuban missile crisis. There’s going to be politicians across the globe wanting to nuke Seattle. Essentially, Seattle is holding a half million humans hostage. If you want to kill the 10,000 zombies in Seattle, you have to kill half a million innocent humans, too.

TVLINE | We know what Major’s part is in all of this via his job at Fillmore Graves. Does what’s happening push Liv into a more public role as a zombie?
Yeah. Fillmore Graves is urging all zombies to tan and dye. They don’t want zombies to be recognizable, because they don’t want the government to be able to tell the difference between the humans and the zombies out there. So Liv is still going to stand out, although Liv’s not going to be the only zombie in Seattle who’s refusing to tan and dye. We think about one in 20 are going to rock that look. But she’s also in an interesting job. One of the long arcs is she’s going to make a name for herself, but I want to hold the details of how she’s going to do that.

iZombie RecapTVLINE | Without giving away what happens, can you talk about the decision to possibly have Ravi become a zombie? Was there a lot of debate internally in the writers’ room about whether you should make yet another character part of the undead?
Yeah, we debated that a ton — and I’m not saying he is a zombie. That will be revealed right away [in the Season 4 premiere]. We will not make the audience wait for that, and we will promise that it did not kill him. [Laughs] Ravi will be around for Season 4. The results will be fun. We’re actually pretty excited about what happens to Ravi.

TVLINE | We’ve seen the challenges and the downfall of zombie/human romance before. Is there more hope for Clive and Dale than there was for Liv and Major?
I can’t promise that the result will be any different. The thing that we wanted to do is not tell the exact same story. I’m not saying that Bozzio and Clive will have a happier ending to their human/zombie relationship than Major and Liv, but I will tell you that it will go a different direction.

TVLINE | Did I sense some disappointment in Liv’s voice about Major’s decision to become a zombie again?

iZombie RecapTVLINE | What is their dynamic going forward, then?
There’s going to be a political divide between the two of them going into Season 4. We keep using these analogies in which this new version of Seattle is like Israel, the humans are Palestinians, and that Major is lining up sort of in the [Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin] Netanyahu camp, and Liv can’t quite deal with it.

TVLINE | How does Blaine feel about this new world order?
We keep calling [him] Rick from Casablanca. He’s the man who can get things. He’s going to profit from this new world. He is going to run the black market. Blaine is going to open a new restaurant. He’s going to be doing very well.

TVLINE | Can the new restaurant be called Meat Cute Again?
[Laughs] I believe the name of the restaurant is going to be Romero’s.

iZombie fans, what did you think of the season ender? Grade it via the poll below, then hit the comments to back up your pick!

1. jason says:

I already strongly dislike Chase and Liv given that she cheated on her bf to hook up with him and seems like they’re going to be hook up in S4. Such a bad way to start

• lulu says:

How do you know that ? Ugh..actually i would like for Chase to be bisexual..this actor can have chemistry with everything and everybody..and more cool: a little affair with…Blaine..
      Logan Echolls and Sark as a badass pairing…me likey..do you read me Rob Thomas ??

• John says:

Please no.

• Do you have the same response for every website? You lobbied for the same thing on EW.

• lulu says:

Yep because to me it would great for ths show and even for the character to make him bisexual..iZombie lacks sexual diversity. Shrug.

• John says:

Izombie isn’t about sexual diversity, it’s about well told funny stories nothing to do with if ur gay or not. It’s like asking for Sherlock to have Watson and Sherlock to hook up which makes no sense and isn’t story relevant. They can make chase whatever but u can’t change Blaine who’s clearly been straight the whole time.

• John says:

And since I can’t reply to ur other comment to me I’ll write it here instead.
            I Mean seek help since that is ur only problem with the show. Like it’s not a priority for izombie to be pushing the lefts agenda. Ten years ago shows just told a fun/awesome story without the need to push anything. Nowadays everything has to be pushing.

And Blaine can’t be bi because the show has only showed him liking Payton and never showed interest in guys. That hasn’t stopped shows before (PoI looking at u). We don’t need so much time being taken up by blaines love life.

• Jooshua says:

Out of all the characters, I suppose Chase would be the best candidate to be bisexual. We don’t know much about him. But it doesn’t make sense for Blaine to be bi. Sorry lulu, but that just isn’t true to the character of Blaine. Maybe Detective Cavanaugh?

• Ann says:

It could happen if he eats a “gay” or “bisexual” brain. I think that happened Liv’s first zombie boyfriend, I can’t remember his name. Blaine killed him in season 1.

• lulu says:

Lowell was the name of the boyfriend Blaine killed..

• Mika says:

Lulu. A show can be good without shoe-horning in bisexuals into the story. Not sure why you’re so hell-bent on such an odd thing. It’s perfectly fine if all main characters are straight in this show. If you absolutely *NEED* bisexual characters, there are endless shows to choose from that happen to already have that. It seems like show isn’t for you.

• Laura says:

after Chase commented about liking her tan blonde look they flashed to her back in the lab with the Zombie look… I took that as a big screw you to Chase but maybe I misread that?

Looking forward to seeing what next season holds!!!

• lulu says:

It was above all a shout out to LoVe (Logan/Veronica uber popular pairing on Veronica Mars..and Jason Dohring who play Chase played Logan..) but Chase is not Logan..and Liv (although the actresses look like each others and the characters have some strong similarities..) is not Veronica..Jason Dohring (Chase) has strong chemistry with Rose Mciver..but he can have chemistry with everyone..women, men, chairs..ect..lol..I would like to see his Chase character bisexual..and with a main character so why not Blaine who could be somewhat bisexual too..

• John says:

Please seek help. This show is awesome becuase it doesn’t have all this pc crap that every show has nowadays. Blaine has never been bisexual. Chase can be because his a new character but I’d rather that not become a storyline next year. It’s gonna waste too much time, like supergirl did this season. Where not watching the l word

• lulu says:

Seek help..ugh ok..rude..i don’t need to seek help thank you, i am going pretty well..lmao
            I don’t care about the romantic/sexual stuff but it is a tv show, on the CW no less so there will that..it is obvious..and in the case i say Chase being bisexual would be a good move because this show need some LGBT representation and this actor can work this material..that is all. As for Blaine..why he could not be bisexual..we don’t know everything about him after all..

• K.D.S. says:

All these shows also “waste time” on straight relationships, so i don’t see the problem with gay relationships.

• John says:

They could tone down the lefty political crap with the Russians, especially with what has come to light recently regarding the Russian story being made up.

• lulu says:

But they can totally use this Russian hacking rumor in their show to mock US paranoia about it..actually..

• Maximo says:

John, I’m not sure what you mean by ‘PC’. The show has non-white characters and had Ravi criticize a woman over being ridiculously racist, so it’s clearly not leaning towards a ‘singular audience’. Just because a show has non-white or gay characters doesn’t make it PC, it makes it realistic because not everyone on the planet or in a city is white and straight.

Also, John, seeing as how people in the current administration have met with the Russians, I don’t see how you’re saying it was “made up” or why you think it’s “lefty”.

• ninergrl6 says:

That’s how I interpreted that moment too — Liv’s purposefully distancing herself from Chase. I kind of liked them together but that’s probably because I love Jason Dohring.

• pau says:

Well they have great chemistry but Dohring can create chemistry with everybody..On the other hand i don’t want triangle bs stories..Chase anyway has more important things to do now..ha.

2. Mary T says:

So now that Seattle knows about Zombies, does this mean Liv’s family will reappear in the fourth season? They would have heard all about the signs and Liv had the white hair and change in skin tone the last time they saw her.

• Butch says:

I think the show decided,after Season 1, to go in a different direction and just forget about Liv’s family. I would be surprised if they turned up again or are even mentioned.

• lulu says:

Me thinks we will see them..we did not see them all these seasons because they did not have the place for every plots and that..Rob said it in a former interview.

3. lulu says:

Rob : make Chase bisexual please !! Also great finale and i can’t wait for season 4

4. Butch says:

I don’t remember a scene where Liv found out Major is a Zombie again. Just a mention that Liv knows he is. I wonder if a scene was cut. We only see Major once after he is scratched and that was a silent scene with him scratching a flu victim. If Blaine is going to be the head of the black market then he is like Signor Ferrari in “Casablanca” played by Sidney Greenstreet who was described the head of all illegal activity in Casablanca not Rick Blaine ,the Humphrey Bogart character.

• ninergrl6 says:

There wasn’t a scene of Liv (or anyone else) finding out that Major is a zombie again. Must’ve happened off screen, possibly a cut scene. I was hoping Chase would turn him down. I’m disappointed that Major wanted to become a zombie again. I get it for the character after what happened with the house explosion, but I keep thinking of all that time spent on developing a cure only to have it wasted. I guess now that zombies are widespread and out in the open in Seattle, finding a cure isn’t a realistic priority. Better for Ravi to find a vaccine to prevent the spread?

• lrdslvrhnd says:

Major was also in the attack on the brain trucks, looking very conflicted about actually shooting back.

5. Big Cheddar says:

Did they ever figure out who stole Ravi’s cure? I must have missed,when that happened.

6. ninergrl6 says:

This show always keeps me on the edge of my seat & surprises me. I love it. I didn’t see the zombie-tainted-vaccine thing coming nor the public zombie reveal. Way to keep the show evolving! I loved the last scene with Liv and Ravi. Can’t wait to see where next season goes. Jason Dohring will he back, right?

7. Sam says:

Ahhhh nooooo I need more! I think it does well with so few episodes in a season though. Do we know if it’s mid season or a fall premier yet?

8. Mac says:

I’ll admit to not enjoying this season quite as much as the last, but this finale was amazing. After the previous two (not to mention Veronica Mars) I don’t know why I’m even surprised. I probably need the long hiatus to process everything that went down, but I already can’t wait for more.

9. Jason says:

I love that we’re going to get a lot more Dale next year. She and Clive are great together and it’ll be interesting to see how she deals with being a zombie. Another reason they need to find that stolen cure.

• Butch says:

From a show point of view how do you cure people but do not cure Liv ?If Liv is not a Zombie you have no show. If you cure some people and then the cure is stolen/destroyed before Liv takes it you are just repeating what was done this season.

10. MF says:

They can seize the opportunity now and turn Ravi into a wereterrier because the vaccine has a side effect XD

• AnnieM says:

i was wondering about that, too. He’s already kind of hirsute. lol!

• Maaz Kalim says:

Oh, iZombie’s take on werewolf?? So what are you wishing for, a Zombie vs “Wereterrier” [violent] fight?

Though, on a serious note, they gotta be careful if they’ve seriously planned such “fun twist,” given Ravi is only the regular [South] Asian character in the series. Unless, they believe Interweb is an epitome of: “Every publicity is a good-publicity.”

11. Butch says:

Love how the newscaster cut in line to get his flu shot and got turned into a Zombie. Justice for anyone who has had people cut in front of them on a line. The only thing better would have been if there were several lines and a group was split up with one person on each line with everyone in the group then running to the line that gets to the head first. Having them all turned into Zombies would have been perfect.

• Maaz Kalim says:

You meant that “jumping-the-queue” part, eh? So you wanted it to portrayed in a “trope-y” college-race fashion??

12. drhenning says:

Since “The Good Place” appears to be only a half season show ( unless that is changed for Season 2…), maybe we can have Veronica Mars visit Seattle episode??? Certainly no problem with rights fees on that one… Maybe she’ll come with Logan who will see his Doppleganger…. that would be a hoot…

13. Bit too Harsh says:

Justin and Liv wasn’t really working for me considering it came out of nowhere so I’m glad that chapter is closed. Poor Clive, finally gets Dale back and she’s turned into a zombie. I do appreciate them not dragging it on and her forgiving him as soon as he came clean. Blindsided by the big bad and not really fleshed out either. I still don’t know why Tatum was important to keep around. Chase Graves I do appreciate l, not only because Jason Dohring is so nice to look at but also because the character will be interesting going forward. I really don’t want Liv to become human again, I feel like the show loses its purpose. Even before the zombie population multiplied, what was the point of Liv becoming human again?

14. Sarah says:

Is Jason Dohring returning next season? I hope so. Also I just want to say ending the show with the Liv saying to Ravi, “Don’t be a dick.” was absolutely fantastic. Just classic. I love their friendship, and I love this show so much.

15. John says:

The Chase actor is weird. He walks like he has a stick up his a**. And his face looks like he’s constipated. Why did they have to go and mess with a good thing. New case a week suits me.

• pau says:

Don’t be jealous..it is not pretty John..ha.
      The Chase actor is insanely charming, he can’t help it..c’est la vie and no he does not look constipated at all..And he walks in a very sexy way..the end.

• Casey says:

He’s a military guy – I assume the way he carries himself in the role is highly influenced by that. He’s not a slouching, effusive character. He’s very measured in his presentation. That said, the lower episode count – which Rob has actively advocated for in the past, so it’s not just a function of the network denying them more episodes due to ratings – helps keep episodes from being purely procedural bc they have to stretch out the pace of the season arc, which I believe is what Rob wants.

16. LolaHaze says:

Now all I want in life is to be a zombie and eat choreographer brain. Super cute scene and I love that they went with Bobby Darrin’s Dream Lover for the song.

And I loved the ending bit with Ravi and Liv. Gutted that it will be such a long time until series 4 and fully admit that my DVR will be used for many playbacks of naked Chase scenes.

17. Wooster182 says:

I feel like Chase Graves is the adult version of Logan Echols I planned to see in the VM movie. Really love his character. Hope he stays and is a legitimate love interest for Liv, although there’s no reason for Liv and Major not to be together anymore.

• pau says:

Well actually he has some Logan charm in certain scenes but he is also far more serious, straight and guarded, calm and collected..so different..like a military leader should be..moreover i don’t want Logan Echolls on iZombie, i want Logan Echolls on Veronica Mars mini serie on netflix..Chase should be Chase..not Logan..and no love triangle with Liv and Major please..Chase should be very busy as a zombie leader for shallow things..on the other hand we should see Dohring delightful body in some scenes..haha.

18. T.W.S.S. says:

Why does iZombie hate love?

19. Kit Chu says:

I really love Chase and Liv . Their interaction is so interesting . I also found that Chase usually says somethings sweet to Liv after a long and serious conversation . It’s romantic actually ! IS THERE ANY CHANCE FOR THEM TO FALL IN LOVE ???

20. barb tadokoro says:

Loved izombie and my husband and I watched 1st 2 seasons but got into other choices during 3rd season so feel lost reading about it…

21. Who stole the cure??? That was never addressed!

22. Natalie says:

Am I the only one still wondering about who actually stole the remaining zombie cure? Did I miss an episode where the answer is revealed or were we meant to forget about it entirely?

23. what is the likely hood of wrapping up the series with “how far we’ve come” ?? :D