Shadowhunters Recap

Shadowhunters: Did Clary's Trip to the Seelie Court Sink a Fan-Favorite 'Ship?

Warning: This article contains several sexy spoilers from Monday’s Shadowhunters. Proceed at your own peril.

Another episode of Shadowhunters, another controversial kiss courtesy of Jace Wayland. I mean Morgenstern. I mean Herondale!

At this point, it’s difficult to say which is more complicated, Jace’s love life or Jace’s lineage — and the fact that the two things often go hand-in-hand only serves to complicate them both even further.

Monday’s episode found Jace, Clary and Simon journeying to the Seelie Court, where their love triangle — already an awkward, delicate situation — reached dizzying new heights, thanks to the Seelie Queen, who proved to be as devious as she is adorable. As punishment for killing a bug in her domain, she snared the guys with an enchanted vine, one which wouldn’t loosen its grip until Clary kissed the guy she “most desires.”

Unfortunately for Clary, that wasn’t Simon. The petty plant wouldn’t set either of the guys free until Clary kissed Jace — and oh, what a kiss it was. Following the extended lip lock, an angry Simon retreated to his makeshift apartment, refusing to let Clary explain herself.

But the question remains: What would Clary’s explanation be? As the queen proclaimed, Clary can fool herself, but not the vines. Is this really the end of “Climon” as we know it?

Elsewhere this week…

* While scrolling through photos on her phone, Luke’s partner noticed a werewolf — or, as far as she’s concerned, a regular wolf — in a shot from outside the Jade Wolf.

* I don’t know when I suddenly became invested in Izzy and Raphael’s relationship, but I was surprisingly touched during their end-of-episode breakup. (Not that they were officially dating, but you know.) “Our whole relationship was built around our addiction,” he told her when she asked about their future together. “All it takes is one moment of weakness, and we’ll be back there.” Sad, but true.

* Last, but certainly not least, the final moments of the episode revealed that Sebastian is keeping Valentine someone locked in a closet in his apartment, where he’s being regularly “punished.”

Your thoughts on this week’s twisted episode of Shadowhunters? Vote for your ‘ship of choice below, then drop a comment with your full review.

1. Nicole says:

Why isn’t there any Izzy option in the poll?

2. Uno says:

So… Izzy and Alec’s mom def has the hots for Luke right??… That was my major take-away from this epi… And as usual Clary was bull headed arrogant selfish and naive all at the same damn time. Jace told her not to bring Simon.. He told both of them to be careful and not touch anything.. And poor Izzy gets dumped.. Has the most epic heart to heart with her mom about her drug addiction.. Her dads infidelity(clearing the way for Lucky Lucian) and comes to vent to her “friend ” and this ginger wannabe shadowhunter special snowflake is balling her eyes out and in need of consoling because two great guys like her… Not because the man who raised her like his own flesh and blood and who loved her and her mother and is still clearly in grief over her death and the death of many in his pack (thanks in no small part to her arrogance) was locked up for attempting to kill her bio dad… No she’s crying cuz a lie she’s been telling herself and everyone else has come to light… Ugh she’s the worst

• jrex says:

Yup, have to agree I find Clary pretty unlikable.

• Atiyeh says:

Yeah I think Clary’s character is arrogant! Everyone says it’s jace who has character issues but seriously clary makes u want to punch her in the face!

• Tai says:

Yes to all of this. I cannot stand Clary. She’s such a horrible character. She constantly wants things her way with little regard to the consequences or impact it will have for anyone else. She’s the worst.

• Paula Burke says:

Clary is being portrayed too far from the books and that is why there is a consensus to her being arrogant. Simon is her best friend and she sees the relationship as safe. Clary is afraid of her chemistry with Jace. She is a control freak and is off balance with Jace. Love does that for many of us. For Simon, a truly reinvented character for show that I love but not with Clary. I like Izzy for him. She is so suitable and in many ways a better choice for long-term love. Simon will have his own baggage that will come in the next episode if you view the promo. It would be interesting to see Raphael and Simon build a triangle around Izzy. I believe that Jace is really amazing in his loyalty to both Clary and Simon. He is very supportive of Simon and I see that he is true to his word. He has sacrificed his feelings to keep Clary happy but will that keep? Remember in the Fair Folk world the truth comes out. For those of us that want Jace and Clary together we will be dragged along as television likes to keep ratings high with a final episode of mystery. What I find troubling about the Clary character is she is always quick to judge. Here she is sitting at the table and she is judging Jace on his book club lie. That tells me she wants both of them. Wait until she finds out that Jace was with Maia. Look out everyone.

• Tai says:

See I didn’t like her in the books either. Frankly, I didn’t care much for the books past the first one. I never cared for Jace or Clary in the books. But the show has made me actually care about Jace. Clary could be killed off tomorrow and I wouldn’t blink an eye. Her character is awful and doesn’t seem to care about anything unless it impacts her directly.

• Av says:

I find the character of clary so annoying. She’s so flat. Other characters seem to have more dimension. They need to help that actor out and write he a decent character. Who cries over boys after all the stuff she’s been through??

• Lucy says:

oh YES Clary IS the worst!! and honestly, Kat’s acting doesn’t help at all.

3. Kevin Fowler says:

Come on already. Everyone knows Clary belongs with Simon not Jace.

4. jrex says:

It wasn’t clear to me who Sebastian had tied up in the closet. Isn’t Valentine still in his cell in the Institute? As for the shipping, hasn’t anyone read the books? Sure there are a few changes (death of Jocelyn), but I seriously doubt they’re going to completely change the ultimate pairings.

• Jennifer says:

Yes – I don’t think that was Valentine. I’m pretty sure we aren’t supposed to know who is in the closet yet. If you look closely it seemed the person in the closet had floppy hair.

• Allison says:

At first I thought it was Jace because the voice kind of sounds like him and the character had blonde floppy hair. But then i watched the promo for the next episode and jace is clearly fine in it. So now I’m thinking it’s the real Sebastion because in the books he is described to have blonde hair as well.

5. Diya says:

Spoiler Alert!!!
    When Will I Get to see Simon and Izzy together!!!?
    Also I couldn’t care less bout Clary and Jace…the actors and how their characters are portrayed on the show have made them distinctly unlikeable to me.

6. Isabelle says:

Ok, How epic was that very first (in a LONG time) CLACE kiss.

Clary: This means nothing

Does she not know that she already tried kissing Simon but he is not the guy she desires the most. Then here she comes kissing Jace and I’m pretty sure that everyone else knows that when she kissed Jace he is was the guy that Clary “Desired the Most” I mean what the hell Clary. That obviously ment something. Other then Simon were it’s just a regular kiss. Like a regular mundane he is. I am glad he invited himself so he could see that they are just like a regular mundane couple. CLIMON I hate it. I mean I don’t totally hate Simon but just watching him fall in love with Clary when Jace falls in love just makes me cringe. Like really. I like Simon as Simon Clary’s package deal. I mean I get It. I have my own package deal. But Clary though. She makes you want to punch her. Like HARD. well for me. Like Simon is mad let the kid be, let him just calm down then go back, don’t go to him and start banging on his door. “I wanna be with you”. Well I can’t ask book readers for help on when clary comes to her mind and know that Jace is the one she desires. Cause I am pretty sure non-book and book readers don’t know what is going to happened next. I mean nobody knew they were going to have Jocelyn Fairchild die. Or they were going to take this Climon thing to far, or…………………….what ever is gonna happen non-book related. That sucks. Why are these directors going to far?

Well can’t wait for season 3. Did you guy’s here. They will have a season 3. What surprised me was the cast didn’t even know they were getting a season three, they have to be told. Well if there is no season 4 Clace at least better happen.

PLZ LORD I BEG.

AMEN

7. Megan says:

Jace and Clary belong together.love this show

8. It was Amazing Kiss Jace and Clary together in Shadowhunters Season 2 Episode 14 Jace belongs with Clary and no one else I am sorry that Simon is hurting but maybe this will make him stronger person and Vampire too I know that Raphael and Izzy will finally be together in the end there feelings for each other will get a lot Stronger they are not going to want to stay away from each other Simon is going to need the other Vampires there for him

9. Dominique says:

simon shouldn’t have gone with them in the first place.i couldn’t care less about whom clary ends up with, but his eagerness to go wherever she goes is becoming annoying fast. this was a diplomatic mission, he never should’ve been there in the first place.
    i loved alec and his meeting with the downworlders, and how he refused to give up on his vision for them. also loved maryse finally coming around.
    that ollie chick is so annoying. therés gotta be more to her, but even if she were just a regular mundane; what kind of person goes to investigate and question every move her new partner makes?
    will tudor is delicious as sebastian/jonathan, he’s so good at duping everyone and playing the nice guy, and then turn around and be downright creepy.
    it’s a shame they’re going in this direction with raphael/izzy now, when it’s essentially already too late. their scenes these past two episodes have been very beautiful, and would’ve been very interested to see how they would handle a relationship between an asexual person, and a person who’s normally sexually very active. but with this whole yin fen history between them, this could never truly work. pity, cause emeraude and david have some wonderful chemistry.

• Paula Burke says:

I agree with you. Sebastian is really crafty and sinister. The closet scene is really the beginning of the danger of Jonathan. This was my favorite episode in part 2 thus far. many plots are coming together. There is great character development. The Seelie Queen is really clever and manipulative as the books try to portray. The Seelie court scene is more difficult to imagine in book form. The show nailed it. They pulled off the location with imagery in a beautiful but eerie way. The Jace/Clary kiss was pretty intense. The show should not deviate and truly they are destined to be together. Writers are getting to the core of the books. I hope this is a continuation. A+ in my opinion.

10. Mae says:

I read all the books and I don’t remember Simon being anything but a friend to Clary when she found out Jace was not her brother. It was always Jace. Simon was not a love interest. Please point out where in the book Clary and Simon “hook” up.

• Csb says:

Clearly you didn’t read very closely. Simon and clary were a couple when clary still thought Jace was her brother. The Seelie court kiss happened in the book, but was even more awkward because Jace and Clary still thought they were brother and sister. Simon runs off after and that’s when he gets turned into a vampire.

• Mae says:

Thank you so much Csb. Been years so clearly some facts did not reach my memory banks when the TV show came on. Guess it’s time to reread the Shadowhunter series. I remember almost all of the books but I am a Senior so going with the Senior brain slowing down.

• Jessi says:

Simon and Clary get together in the second book I believe (city of ashes) after the events of the first book where they find out Jace and Clary are related. I distinctly remember them making out in bed at least once. She describes being with Simon as “comfortable” or “safe”… Something like that

• Mae says:

Thank you Jessi. I would have hated rereading the whole set just to find that out. It’s been a long time and after that I read the Infernal Devices and moved on to Lady Midnight and Lord of the Shadows, which is excellent also.

• Paula Burke says:

Hi Mae, which of the other series do you recommend after the Mortal Instruments? Thanks ahead.

• Mae says:

Hi Paula: Be happy to pass on some info. The Shadowhunters World: The Infernal Devices is actually a prequel, however, it can be understood better after reading Shadowhunter Chronicles. There are 3 books: Clockwork Angel, Clockwork Prince and Clockwork Princess. You would see how a lot of the families became who they are and a lot about the Silent Brothers.That follows the Carstairs and Herondale families. Jace and She recently wrote (along with Holly Black) Lady Midnight and second book just out Lord of Shadows. There will be a third book possiby called The Queen of Air and Darkness, Jace and Clary are in these books too, only little older.

11. Rodrick Jimerson says:

Poor Simon. But hopefully he gets with Izzy. She is better anyways! Or the werewolf girl!

12. Theresa Miles says:

I loved this episode so much because we FINALLY get to go see the the Seelie Queen and her court. But also we get to see Clace! They finally kiss!!!!! I personally do not like Simon and Clary together in a romantic relationship, because she belongs to Jace. Simon is better as Clary’s best friend. Also SPOILER!!!!! Btw if you do not want to know who I think is Sebastian’s prisoner. Last warning…. Ok I think it is the REAL Seabstian Verlac because if you read the books you would know that he is actually, Jonathan Morgenstern. Also note that yes he did kill the real Sebastian in the books but the show just love to twist facts.

13. Brandy Morales says:

I want Clary and Simon to be together they are the cutest couple and plus i love Simon i don’t want him to go he is her best friend it’s the worst thing ever to lose your best friend i should know i lost my best friend i don’t think they should have ever gotten together it hurts my heart and a lot is other fans hearts too i can’t even imagine how Simon feels. even though they are the cutest couple they should have never gotten together in the first place.

14. chrissy says:

simon should be with maia not clary!

15. Jiani Olomua says:

Ok,
    That kiss was the most epic thing in the television world. They are finaly bringing CLACE back. But the real question is when??
    I seen the trailer for the next episode in like 2 weeks. This is what I remember.

Clary: I love you
    Simon: Don’t do that
    Clary: Why
    Simon: CAUSE YOU DON’T MEAN IT LIKE I DO.

This is my favorite part
    Jace: it was real, I felt it and I know Clary did to.

I mean everyone knew she felt it. When she kissed Simon she got off him to quickly, then here comes that #CLACE kiss and it wasn’t jace’s fault it was Clary’s she was the one that went into a lip-lock. Yet again Jace was wrapped with vines and before he could touch her she went in for that awesome, passionate, epic, #CLACE kiss. So I can’t wait until they bring #CLACE back. But if they push this Climon thing to far i’m gonna die. Like my heart will shader. She kissed Jace. I mean what else do they have to prove they’r love for eachother is stronger then any other love. I don’t see them focusing on Rizzy or in the beginning Mizzy. BTW AWWW ISABELLE I AM SO, SO, SO, SO, SORRY FOR YOU, YOU POOR THING. But the good news is you fall in love with Simon right. Eh we all will see in a few episodes later.

16. Alrisha says:

“Jace’s lineage” … I wonder, Is there no DNA test in that world?. I’m glad they found someone that can act in Sebastian, who, by the way I think got a woman in that room. Valentine is much bigger.
    Raphael was right, those two together are dangerous.

17. T says:

I remember when I first read city of ashes that kiss was the most amazing and most uncomfortable thing ever. City of glass wasn’t going to be out for like a year or something but yet we have clary wanting her brother it was crazy. (Although them almost having sex and running away together in glass while still thinking they are brother sister was by far the most uncomfortable thing I’ve ever read). This kiss was great and all but not the same wow factor since they know they aren’t related…. Also damn I didn’t care either way about Raphael in the books but tv raph is my favorite side character I ship him with Iz so hard hoping since they changed so much they change what happens to him also