'Pretty Little Liars' Finale Week
Pretty Little Liars Series Finale Spoilers

Pretty Little Liars Boss Promises 'Rewarding' Series Finale Reveals, Including A.D. and Ali's Baby Daddy

There’s been much chatter over the years about a potential Pretty Little Liars movie. And on Tuesday, you’re finally going to get it.

“I knew from the beginning of the season that I wanted this to be a two-hour finale,” executive producer Marlene King tells TVLine of the final episode (Freeform, 8/7c). “This last episode gave the Liars a significant amount of closure; they won the game, and it looks as if A.D. is leaving town. So the finale is structured as a two-hour movie. It’s paced like a feature film, not the way we do regular episodes. I don’t want to give away too much in terms of how [A.D.’s identity] is revealed, but that pacing will feel different and feel special.”

Below, King answers more of our burning questions about the game-changing — actually, make that game-ending — episode:

TVLINE | In addition to A.D. reveal, we’re also finding out the father of Emily and Alison’s baby. Which will surprise us more?
Well, both of them are pretty cool. We’ve been waiting so long for A.D., but for the father as well. They’re both equally rewarding and satisfying. And surprising.

TVLINE | When you wrote this finale, did you compile a list of every unanswered question from the show so you could make sure everything gets wrapped up?
As a writers room, we went through social media and consulted our own unanswered questions, and we did try to put together a list of anything we haven’t revealed. To be honest, I actually get a lot of people asking me online about things we have revealed, they just might have forgotten along the way. I think the majority of unanswered questions will be answered.

TVLINE | And what won’t we see?

TVLINE | Speaking of seeing a lot, you recently tweeted about the finale having HBO-level sex scenes. How much are you guys really getting away with?
I had never directed a sex scene in any of my episodes, and I directed — on the same evening — three or four back-to-back. It was literally going from this one to that one to this one to that one. It was so interesting to see how each couple likes to be directed. One couple was like, “Just say ‘do this’ and ‘do that,'” while another couple was just like, “Play us some music and we’ll go at it.” [Laughs]

TVLINE | I’ve always had a soft spot for the Liars’ parents. What role will they play in the finale?
Well, they’re definitely in the finale; we get to see the moms and couple of the dads. Because they play such an important role in their children’s lives, they’re going to be important in the finale.

What are your hopes for the finale? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Nick says:

I bet the baby daddy is Peter Hastings, since he already fathered half the cast anyways.

2. “TVLINE | And what won’t we see?
    We won’t see Jason, because we couldn’t get him for the finale. That I can tell you. But other than that, you’ll see a lot.”

Riiiiight. Given who the second A was, Jason is the most likely suspect to be A.D.

3. Sara says:

I don’t think the reveal of Ali and Emily’s baby daddy could be satisfying seeing as it was a horrible horrible assault on Ali that they did just to put the two girls together. No matter who it is, its awful.

4. Michael says:

I hope Jenna is a big part of the finale. She’s my favorite character. I’m so excited for this sure-to-be epic and legendary finale!

5. Sayre says:

I do not understand why she thinks 7×19 brought closure. There was literally no closure other than finding out who killed Charlotte.
    And why do we have to have more sex scenes when we just got a sex scene from ALL of the couples in the last couple episodes?
    Why wouldn’t the writers rewatch the show instead of go through social media?! Who cares what 14 year olds say, this is YOUR JOB to create and finish a decent story.

• Dr.Diana says:

Exactly, because it wasn’t well thought out, it’s a complete mess. I knew it was going to be disappointing.

• who cares says:

complete mess it is.
        lets just hope, that this was not 7 years of someone (for example Mona’s or Spencer’s) insane dream, and the final minutes will leave us with that person, who had this dream playing with dolls in Radley …

• Brennan says:

I would actually be completely satisfied if the last scene was someone in Radley playing with dolls LOL because there’s no way they’ll answer every question/tie up loose ends, so why not just pull something out of left field. It’ll still be better than Sara Harvey being Red Coat AND Black Widow

• Carlee says:

PLOT TWIST

Aria is actually Nicole. Rosewood is a parallel universe she has been creating in her mind to escape reality while a prisoner in Colombia. When she is finally rescued and reunited with Ezra, together they write her novella. And nurse Arianicole back to a healthy mental state

• fightfan3 says:

I got a good chuckle out of that, and depending on what happens tonight, I might wish for your version instead. :)

6. Shannon says:

We don’t want sex scenes, we want answers!

7. Paula says:

I just want to see a happy Aria and Ezra getting married. A bonus would be an irrevocable end to Emison! Dreading a truly lackluster and disappointing series wrap up.

8. frostinter7 says:

Glad this is over. It’s been completly awful. Goodbye for ever, PLL !!

9. Desiree says:

I just plain don’t believe Marlene King. Nothing that she has done up to this point give me any faith that she can construct a ‘satisfying’ finale. I truly hope that I am wrong.

10. Oncer says:

How about the question of consent, because Ali never gave consent to have Emily’s eggs implanted in her, she was assulted and it’s been brushed aside, it would have been better if they had gotten together on their own without a baby being involed, the baby plot is horrible and disgusting.

11. Leah M Oneil says:

I’m betting on the Spencer twin theory – Toby and the twin are in it together. It’s going to be very sad apparently so maybe Caleb gets killed? It has to be shocking….what I’m really confused about is all the weird ghostly stuff!?
    I need answers. I’m counting on you Marlene!!

12. Emily says:

“We’ve been waiting so long for A.D., but for the father as well. They’re both equally rewarding and satisfying. And surprising.”

We’ve been waiting 7 years for AD, and a few episodes for the father…I don’t see how the baby daddy could possibly be as rewarding as finding out who AD is.

13. Spiked-Philly says:

Honesy, I don’t care who the father of the baby is. That’s just another needless plot twist thrown in at the end. All I’ve learned from this show is that Marlene King is a fan of statutory rape, predators, extramarital affairs (the Hastings family tree is more like a bush) and weak girls who stay with boyfriends/girlfriends that lie to them, use them and screw them over. Show us AD so this can be over!

14. Gift says:

Love this show, im so excited!

15. PLL SPOBY says:

The theory where Spencer’s twin is basically messing up Spoby is making me so mad if true because in the end I wanted Spoby together but it might just be confusing

16. Pwillsie says:

This is so sad to have ending. I have watched this show with my daughter since season 2 and have loved it because it gave us such a great night of bonding, so thank you PLL. I certainly will miss it and the cast was phenomenal. So sad :(

17. TJ says:

I want a happy ending for Spoby and am afraid it won’t happen. As long as Spencer and Toby are together in the end and neither is AD, I will be happy. But, given what I.M. said recently about the person who plays AD knowing it and asking for the rest of the cast not to know until the end, and Troian’s interview saying that she knew as did Keegan around season three because she couldn’t take the suspense, I’m worried for my favorite couple. Either it is a leak or red herring. I hope it is the latter.

18. Marna South says:

Can you please do a spinoff. This show is one of my favorite of all shows. Love the acting and characters. Will miss it alot. Thank you Marlene King for a great show

19. I’ve often wondered if it could POSSIBLY be Caleb. For one, he is the computer guru… secondly, he is the one that’s always in the middle of what’s going on and we all know Hannah pretty much tells him everything -Eventually…… I like Caleb still, but it wouldn’t be a shock if it were him…WE WILL SEE TONIGHT (MAYBE)

20. Glad this article is still slaying at the top of the TVLine popularity chart!

21. Jodi Sinclair says:

Baby daddy could be Wren. AD I was going to opt for a twin thing with Ali or Spencer.. now I’m onto Caleb

22. Vail says:

Peter Hastings ? oh ew! :)
    I sort of keep wondering how Wren’s… er… sample was procured. I have a LOT of questions about timelines that just do not jibe, especially when Mary was in Radley (she said “the hospital” recorded her convo with Mr Hastings about killing Jessica, but whatthehuh? She wasn’t at Radley then, right? And I have NO idea how Ms AD stayed around town with that face. Or if she even was there for a year or how long. (Crazy how many people will kill and generally mess with for Charlotte, isn’t it?)
    I am waiting to re-watch, I usually get a better feeling the second time. My cussing cable broke and I don’t have it to rewatch until the Finale hits Amazon, since I bought the whole season. But as a huge fan of Troian’s, I will say at least we go to see a LOT of her. Almost double, I reckon :)

23. SB says:

I loved it! Don’t really have any complaints except for how they left things with Mona, that’s not happiness she’s still ill and I think shes redeemed herself enough, since season two, to deserve true happiness.