RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 Winner

RuPaul's Drag Race Finale: Did Your Favorite Queen Win Season 9?

If you still doubt the deadliness of a great lip sync battle, you clearly missed Friday’s season finale of RuPaul’s Drag Race: a four-way bloodbath of charisma, uniqueness, nerve and talent.

For the first time in Drag Race herstory, all four finalists — Peppermint, Sasha Velour, Shea Coulee and Trinity Taylor — took part in a “smackdown for the crown,” a multi-battle melee that alone would determine the winner of Season 9.

The first round found Trinity and Peppermint battling to the tune of Britney Spears’ “Stronger,” which Trinity appeared to dominate — until Peppermint shocked the audience with a last-minute wig toss. (Frankly, I thought Peppermint’s efforts were too-little-too-late, and I would have sent Trinity through. But who am I to question Mama Ru?)

Round No. 2, during which Sasha and Shea battled to Whitney Houston’s “So Emotional,” felt like a clash of titans by comparison, with both queens going all-in from the start. (They also played off of each other really nicely, which I appreciated.) But just as in the first round, the victory went to she who lost her wig — which, in this case, was Sasha.

And just when you thought things couldn’t get any more dramatic, Sasha and Peppermint face off for the crown to Houston’s “It’s Not Right But It’s Okay.” Both queen-testants brought something different to the table — Peppermint channeled Whitney’s iconic sass, while Sasha brought a level of weirdness all her own — but in the end, Ru handed the crown to… Sasha!

Leftover tea…

* Laverne Cox, who recorded a congratulatory message for Peppermint, might be one of the most well-spoken humans on television. Every sentence out of her mouth sounds like it was lifted directly from a sonnet. Does she do any audiobooks?

* Nothing made me happier than finally getting to “meet” Papa Velour.

* Actually, Eureka’s elephant-inspired look was a close second. That also made me very happy.

* As did Bobby Moynihan’s message for Trinity — though I’m sure she was not-so-secretly hoping it was going to be Chris Pine on that screen.

* On a considerably less happy note, how heartbreaking were Shea’s reveals — that she lost her father to cancer a few days before the cast was announced, then her sister to cancer a month later also to cancer?

* Did we really need Ross Matthews to explain word-for-word how bracket tournaments work?

Now that a winner has been crowned, weigh in via the poll below, then drop a comment with more of your thoughts: Did the right queen win Season 9?

1. DV says:

Thanks for spoiling it! Now I know someone won. Haha jk jk. I just wanted to see if I could sound as ridiculous as the other people do who seriously come to a tv site and the whine about being spoiled

2. mamalovesdrama says:

If it were only a last minute wig toss for Peppermint, I would say Trinity was robbed. But Peppermint really shocked the audience because she tore away her outfit to reveal an amazing second dress underneath. Loved it!!

• Anita Bea Jay says:

Go on YouTube and you’ll see tons of that. Alexis Michelle actually has a great one which starts as a witch. It should be overall performance and Trinity seemed to do better. But I’m also sure Ru went in with an idea of what she wanted & who she wanted to win. Sasha was more original. She has a lot of creative innovative performances on YouTube

• Lauren says:

As happy as I am for Shae because she totally deserved it, I just wish Peppermint won. She may not have been the strongest challenge wise but her personality is amazing. She is so outgoing and comedic. I practically adore Peppermint. Not to mention absolutely gorgeous.
      But like I said I am very happy for Shae and I also think the other three girls were incredible as well. Condragulations Shae!

3. Joey says:

I really did enjoy all of the lip syncs tonight especially for a season that was sorely lacking in good lip syncs, for the most part. While I would have been okay with any of the queens winning, I suppose I would’ve felt the least positive about Peppermint winning the whole thing since she did have the worst track record leading up to the finale. I’m really a huge fan of Sasha so I’m very happy she won.
    I should also say that like Rupaul said, I did not like Trinity in the first episode particularly. I was very turned off by her and figured she’d go home in one of the first episodes, but she did totally flip my opinion of her and she’s absolutely one of my favorites from this season.

4. david says:

The lipsyncs were really just for show and not the determining factor of who gets the crown. Ru had already decided the winner before hand.

• Chris says:

That is doubtful: if the winners were decided beforehand, Sasha would and should’ve gotten more screen time and won at least one challenge on her own. (the makeover challenge would’ve been the sweet spot.)

• Jasmine says:

The winner is always predetermined by Ru. Just because you lack the abilities to fathom or read between the lines do not discredit others for seeing the obvious. Actually, this season was a bit sloppy in keeping the winner a secret. Everyone new it was not going to be Peppermint or Trinity but everyone also saw how Ru puposefully kept them a part of the top 4.

• Stanz says:

It’s not doubtful. Ru always knows who will win, the finale is just a showcase of fun. They ALWAYS film the final 3 queens each being crowned to avoid spoilers, I would image (since no word got out since the filming) that Ru had all the queens face off and eventually win the crown and editing put it all together. I think you misnderstood what David was saying. He means the finalists, not the whole season. Ru always has an idea, but takes some fan data into consideration.

5. Adam says:

I was’t a huge fan of the format for this finale since, while I like all four of the queens, I was disappointed that Peppermint made it further than queens like Shea Couleé and Trinity Taylor, who had a far better track record the whole competition. But overall, I’m happy with Sasha’s win and I look forward to either Shea or Trinity or both inevitably competing against Valentina in All Stars 3 (hopefully with Trixie and Chi Chi).

• lmricci65 says:

I like Peppermint and was rooting for her from the start, but as the season went on I was often surprised she didn’t go home. It makes me wonder if Ru sometimes already has a winner in mind and secretly hopes that person doesn’t royally screw up and she has to send them home. (Think Tyra Season 2)

That said as the season went on, I liked Sasha more and more, to the point she’s who I wanted to win or get a true Miss Congeniality if she didn’t make it in the top. She’s edgy, creative, classy, modern, and knows how to dress.

I didn’t like the way they did the reunion first and not as part of the finale. I felt like something was really messed up or wrong, that’s how weird it seemed. I don’t know if that was because the Powers That Be didn’t give Ru a choice or Ru was trying to keep it fresh. I just know I didn’t like it…at all.

And I missed seeing all the former winners! What the heck was up with that? I realize many of them are busy traveling, but in the past seasons they were there. Even the audience seemed devoid of many familiar faces. Was that a result of the move to VH1 and when the show actually was taped? Are VH1 execs responsible for taking away all the familiarity in order to make it more mainstream and family friendly?

We may never know, but I don’t like it!

6. Daniel Solis says:

Did anybody else think Sasha’s lip sync’s were inspired by Valentina? With her 🌹 And then the mask? Was it a tribute or shade?

• Chris says:

Nope because the finale was shot before the renuinon AND Valentina’s request to her fans. If anything, this could be Valentina throwing shade, reminding Shea how she lost. But that’s all based on speculation–she really could just like roses.

• Ylyus says:

Absolutely! That was the first thing popped into my head

• KCG19 says:

Sasha has done a few lipsyncs with the rose petals before. You can find them on youtube so it had nothing to do with Valentina.

7. Anita Bea Jay says:

Everyone who says Shea shouldve won needs to skip the World Series. I’m so sick of these whiny girls who are ruining drag for the gay community. I guess the only positive thing is these queens are getting $$$$ from straight girls. But enough. It’s a TV show. Life ain’t fair. Sasha won. I agree that Trinity won the first round. You shouldn’t win a lip sync bc of a wig toss. I think Ru probably wanted to give it to Sasha bc she represents something new. People should go on YouTube & watch her past performances. Shea is super talented and will have a big career. She’s just typical. She dropped 3 videos in true Beyonce slay form. I’m just over the Valentina 💩 from these whiny teens. I’m over her. Now why don’t we have 2 drag seasons per year like The Voice, DWTS, Survivor

• Jasmine says:

I think you are whining to deaf ears. You can’t fight or argue against a battle that simple is not there. Go with the majority. The majority supports Sasha’s win so why on earth are you coming for the minute amount of people that would be thinking Shea should have won?

8. Rook says:

Am I the only one who isn’t happy? I don’t hate Sasha I think she is very interesting and completely original. But both Shae and Trinity did better this season a whole. Does that literally count for nothing? They’re being judged on one performance. Huge let down.

• Adam says:

To be honest, even if it were just a top three of Shea, Sasha, and Trinity being chosen by Ru without the lip sync…I’d want Sasha to win. I think she’s the most interesting of the three of them. Shea and Trinity are great, but in the lineup of great queens that have been crowned, I don’t think they’d standout as the most unique. They’re completely fierce in their own right and I want to see more of them (All Stars 3, please!) but Sasha represents something more unique among the Drag Race winners.

• Joey says:

Arguably Sasha has a better record because while those two have more wins, they’ve also had to lip sync. Sasha was the only one who never had to lip sync for her life.

• Marc says:

There is a saying in the entertainment business… “You’re only as good as your last performance”. SASHA VELOUR YOU ARE OUR SEASON 9 QUEEN! Woo hoo!

• Jasmine says:

To be honest I purposefully checked the internet to see who the winner was before watching the finale. If Shea had won I would have not watched. Both She and Trinity are too biitchy and lack the likeability factor needed to win. If the show was based on talent alone then Ru would not have dragged Peppermint to the “Top 4” finale. Shea, Sasha, and Trinity would have been enough to make a Top 3. Ru probably saw what was missing in Shea and Trinity and recognized that a 4th contestant with the missing likeability factor was needed in the finale.

9. bonita Toney says:

I think Shea Coulee should have won based on the overall season 9 perfornance BUT based on how Ru decided to go the lip sync route…I thought that Peppermint prevailed over Sasha BUT …in my heart of hearts i knew Sasha was probably gonna win cause she was Ru’s fav

• Chris says:

She barely got any screen time on her season. She didn’t get much of a storyline and she should’ve at least won the makeover challenge but it was given to Trinity for some reason. I highly doubt that she was Ru’s favorite.

• Donna says:

I totally agree. This is one season that I liked all of the top four girls until I watched the reunion. In the reunion Trinity and Shae revealed a different side to themselves, meanwhile Peppermint and Sasha both kept their class. Even though I would have liked for Peppermint to have won, Sasha was my second pick, so I’m glad she won.

• Ann says:

In complete agreement. I was really shocked at the way Shae, in particular, just went for the other girls. I expected it more from Trinity, but I didn’t like it from her either.

10. Problem is she was NEVER crowned!! it just bothered me a little! But maybe there was a reason! Maybe the crown was the wrong size? Or did they just forget and couldn’t turn back? Maybe there is something to the irony in all of it…she wore crowns throughout the season maybe she evolved beyond the physical manifestation of a crown!! She truly is art in motion

11. Lily johnaon says:

I have always been a fan of rupauls drag race from season 1…..I love it simply love it if I know in not going to be home I record it. I was hoping peppermint won but after Sasha velour performance, she deserve to win win hands down.

12. Troy says:

It was too close call but when it came time to Throw Down … Sasha slayed this competition.

13. Kevin says:

From what I’ve seen, a lot of people wanted either Shea or Trinity to win going into the finale. And while I would have been happy for either of those happening, I wasn’t thoroughly enthusiastic about honestly any of the four queens winning prior to the finale (I hate to say it).

Going into the finale, the one thing stopping me from being thoroughly behind a Sasha win was while she had been consistently great all season she had never had a wow moment. And then she pretty much blessed us with complete domination and THE best lipsync of the season. Therefore, I am super happy for her win.

14. Kevin says:

I think Trinity started off the lipsync really strong. However after a while her energy seemed unfocused and over-the-top. She also didn’t really do much at the climax of the song (besides spin around). Peppermint, on the other hand, started slow and built to her reveal, which made her entire performance seem more dramatic. I think that’s why she won.

15. Ylyus says:

Sasha Velour is to the world of Drag what Annie Lennox was to music in the 80’s and 90’s. Creativity on a whole new level.

16. Walter says:

I liked the new reunion setup – it was filmed AFTER the finale though?? That completely changes the dynamic. Ill have to watch it again. I thought Shea was the overall winner in terms of style & talent but her complaining at the reunion turned me off. I thought Sarah’s lipsinc’s were inspired and she should have won but I didn’t like the competition ending in a losing battle when the goal of the game is to avoid being in the final two each episode and having to lipsinc. It just didn’t seem to be the defining talent needed to win. That being said, I don’t think Peppermint should have been in the final four. I didn’t find anything that original about her during the show & her losing outfits seemed very generic. I thought Trinity completely outshines Peppermint in the lipsinc and felt bad for her leaving on that note after such a successful run on the show. She was always engaging during her commentary, however. I liked Valentina – I didn’t follow the social media stuff that happened so the hate placed on her shocked me.

17. Walter says:

Oh-and I don’t see how Jayne Mansfield got picked for the show when you consider all the possible applicants. She always – even at the finale – looked like a deer in headlights.

18. JJ. says:

I can see why other people might not like this format as much but it made the finale so much more fun! I’ve had sasha’s lip sync to ‘so emotional’ on repeat since I first watched it. Such an amazing performance, one of my top fav lip sync’s for sure!

19. Yoko says:

IMHO Trinity and Sasha should have been in the final two but the right queen won!