ABC Summer Schedule 2017 Still Star-Crossed

Still Star-Crossed Essentially Cancelled as ABC Banishes Drama to Saturdays

The sky is falling for Still Star-Crossed: ABC is shipping the Shondaland period drama off to Saturday nights… which means it’s as good as cancelled.

Star-Crossed will make the move to Saturdays starting July 8, according to our sister site Deadline, after airing just three episodes in the post-Bachelorette slot on Monday nights. A sequel to Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet, Star-Crossed stars Lashana Lynch as Rosaline Capulet and Wade Briggs as Benvolio Montague, who are being forced to marry each other to defuse the raging feud between their families.

With Shonda Rhimes on board as executive producer, Star-Crossed debuted last month to 2.3 million total viewers and a 0.5 demo rating, and has eroded in consecutive weeks, most recently posting 1.6 mil and a 0.3 — a far cry from the 2.6 mil/0.6 that Mistresses averaged leading out of The Bachelorette last summer.

What’s more, the cast’s contracts are set to expire next week, which makes this scheduling move a clear sign there won’t be a Season 2. Star-Crossed was originally announced by ABC back in May 2016.

Will you miss Still Star-Crossed? Post your most eloquent soliloquy in the comments.

1. If this wasn’t it, I wonder when we will find out what the D.O.A. drama blind item was.

2. mango cherry says:

Wonder why they went forth with the show knowing this would happened. Why put a show out that you are not going to support and/or know that it will fall short (Shonda or no Shonda). Feel bad for the actors…

• Patrick says:

They didn’t know how bad it would be until the dailies started coming in. Once it was already in the can, they might as well air it (somehow, somewhere) and try to recoup SOME money.

• Honest says:

Every year some shows are cancelled, it’s best for the cast to find out in June rather than September and it’s not like they didn’t expect this (see blind item).
      Airing the whole thing seem fair enough to me.

• Ricashuwa Swift says:

I’m very sad to see this show go. Seems like the shows with drama, fighting, and sex they stay on tv, but shows normal people like don’t. I loved this show and wanted a season 2 maybe they can make it a Netflix series or something but shame to start it & end it so soon.

3. kmw says:

Not a surprise. A terrible failure for such an expensive show

4. Jared says:

I just can’t see a period drama working on a broadcast network. Has there ever been one that went multiple seasons?

• Tyler says:

Reign just wrapped up season 4 on the CW

• Lynn says:

And it limped to its finish. This was the series finale of an already shortened season. The ratings were in the toilet after season 2 & only on The CW would it have been renewed.

• Jbj says:

I was just telling my mother, as I was catching up on last night’s episode, that it was probably only going to last this season, and that it would have had a better chance on The CW or cable where their are existing audiences for costumed dramas.

• Allie says:

I agree! This show would have flourished on CW. I am like bummed it went off lol. Actually It would do well on the channel its on – just not in the summer. Our tv cycles have put our tv watchers in the mindset that summer is for reruns, etc. So most ppl do not watch tv like they normally would in the fall and winter…

• A.R. Partie says:

I disagree that this would have done well on the CW. They already had a show called Star-Crossed 3 years ago that was alien-themed and it was canceled after one season (after it started improving in terms of story). And honestly Still Star-Crossed is pretty terrible and I’m very forgiving when it comes to TV series (I watch a ton of shows). The acting, character development, storyline, dialogue, and production design of Will on TNT is superior by far, even with its ridiculous modern punk rock touches.

• Christian says:

I know. Games of Thrones has an enormous following. I think this would have done better on cable but I loved it from the start. I will still watch it to the end.!

• Deborah says:

Exactly…and it was awesome

• Shaun says:

Mercy Street?

• ninergrl6 says:

Galavant had 2 (short) seasons on ABC. Wracking my brain trying to think of others…

• Shall I miss thee,
        Still Star Crossed, lovers
        Of Montague and Capulet??
        Thyself thinks so,
        A show well casted, by talent,
        Historical inaccuracies, of race,
        aside
        A story in part well known,
        the rest cast aside
        Ye olde tale of Romeo and Juliet,
        or of Montague and Capulet…
        What shall become of thee??

• The Beach says:

I don’t know if PBS is considered a broadcast network but if so Dowton Abby had a very successful run.

• Ws says:

Well.. “ever” is a long time… How bout Gunsmoke? Lasted many many seasons.

• Syl says:

@Jared Yes there have been long running period dramas on broadcast networks. Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Waltons, Little House On The Prairie, etc. Just not lately.

• AngieD says:

Downton Abbey on PBS went multiple seasons.

• missbeemath says:

I thought it was going to be similar that of Once Upon a Time with them going back and forth between periods (not that I was much a fan but I did watch it here and there). I was interested to see how this show would play out considering Romeo and Juliet died within the first 10 minutes.

5. Brian says:

ABC greenlighting this show in the first place was such a foolish move.

6. Larry says:

Honestly, I tried to watch but gave up after 2 episodes. I really wanted to like this because I love the concept. I like this time in history -shows similar to Da Vinci’s Demons. I’m looking forward to the TNT series ‘Will’. But this show despite the diverse casting felt very formula -very broadcast television. It didn’t feel ‘period piece’. It felt like actors playing ‘dress-up’. It didn’t even match ‘Reign’ -a show I enjoyed when it comes to telling a good story. One of the major disappointments I’ve had this summer because as I said I wanted to like this.

7. c-mo says:

Shonda

8. Tina says:

I really wanted to like this show, but that year of not hearing anything and pushbacks alerted to trouble. It was so disappointing to watch. Sloppy. Boring. The cast has no chemistry. It’s like they threw all these actors together and gave them poor scripts. The diversity is perfect, but honestly this type of historical blah is just not what audiences want right now. That sequel to The White Queen wasn’t great either. Need more diversity, but also need better shows to go with it.

• Emily says:

I recommend reading the book. It was really fun and light, but a good read. They should have just done a mini-series and called it good. I’m not clear why it was a considered for multiple seasons (having read the book).

• Honest says:

Diversity in the White Princess? Thank God PC culture is not stronger than the love for history in England.

• Paula Stiles says:

You mean, the way shows and films always cast Catherine of Aragon, a buxom blonde bombshell historically, as a thin, nervous-looking brunette because they can’t wrap their heads around the fact that many Spaniards are (and were) blonde and of Celtic descent? How about all those pale Brit actors playing Asiatic Russians or olive-skinned Ancient Romans like Julius Caesar? As for historical Renaissance diversity, how about that African slave trade, which was already happening by the 15th century? Or Jews, who couldn’t live in England permanently at the time, but did visit?

You say “PC.” I say, “Attempting to give a more accurate and diverse view of history than the old 19th century imperialist approach Hollywood has been stuck in for so long.”

• Lohan says:

None of what you said relates the White Queen. I agree regarding Romans, but you would not find Africans in Verona back then. Jews are not lacking in historical rapresentation (see the Merchant of Venice).
          By all means bring in a more accurate view of history, emphasis on ACCURATE.

9. Really bad show….I am sorry but lame idea to continue on after the greatest love story…makes their story unimportant….

• Anne says:

To be fair though, Romeo and Juliet is a stupid romance that was unnecessarily dramatic and full of stupid teen angst. If two teenagers who just met and then kill themselves is the ‘greatest romance’ then literature and human creativity is done.
      It’s an exciting story to watch, but it hasn’t aged nearly as well as any of his other plays.

• Carla Krae says:

The Shakespeare play isn’t a romance, though – never meant to be. It’s a tragedy and political drama. He based it on a real Italian family feud story.

• Dale says:

It is not a love story, it is about lust and greed and an attack on the catholic church. The play starts with Romeo complaining that he had to break up with his girlfriend (Rosaline) because she would not put out. the church fails to protect those that depend on them and ends up making everything worse

10. April says:

I 100% blame the network. Maybe if they tried to promote it at ALL the ratings wouldn’t be so bad. They did practically nothing to get people excited for the show and pretended it didn’t exist. Loved the book. Love the show. Thoroughly enjoy it. Maybe it they promoted it a little more and quit pushing it back, more people would know about it and watch it.

• Rex the Wonder Dog says:

They did promote it a lot at first. But you can’t only beat a dead horse so long before you realize it isn’t going to get up and plow the field.

• grazelled says:

They did in the L. A. market.

• AngieD says:

I saw enough promos to remember to add to my DVR.

• rinaex says:

I saw a lot of promo for it. It just didn’t make me want to watch it.

• Alandria says:

I just ran across this in my on demand que. I had never heard of it before and there have been 3 episodes already aired! I just watched all three and I love this show!!!! I was intrigued by the idea of what happened after the deaths of Romeo and Juliet. So far they are building this world and it’s cast of characters. Im terribly disappointed in ABC’s lack of support and their apparent cancellation of the show after only commissioning 7 episodes. Shanda and all attached to this show should be proud of stepping out of the box and presenting the public with a quality show. I love the actors, the diversity, the writing, the drama, and the mystery just now beginning to unfold. I will continue to watch until it is dragged of the air. Good luck to the actors in future endeavors and to the writers please don’t give up on the American public some of us want shows just like this.
      Is it too much to hope Netflix or Hulu or anyone might pick this beauty up????? Please!!

• Evelyn Lillian Kachikwu says:

I love this show. Shame it has been canceled. It should be on cable. The network was the absolute wrong place to put it!

11. analog says:

How many eps is season 1 anyway?

12. ninergrl6 says:

I wasn’t loving the show but I was still intrigued by the concept and to see where it’d go. 7 episodes total was never a vote of confidence, and moving I think to Sat after only airing 3 (including being preempted for 1 week due to the NBA finals) certainly isn’t. Too bad. I think it had potential. Wrong time of year to launch a period drama?

13. Joann says:

I thought this might be the show in Michael’s blind item.

14. Ketsia says:

I loved this show! I agree that it wasn’t promoted enough but it didn’t feel right being on ABC. I wish another network had picked it up. I think it would’ve done better on another network. I’m so sad! I wanted to see how Benvolio and Rosaline’s story ended

15. Anne says:

Ug. I’m really enjoying it

16. Ray says:

Shocker!

Seriously, though. This was Ausiello’s blind item about the turd of a show the networks were reluctant to air. 100%.

17. Jess says:

I actually liked it. Wish they would have promoted the hell out of this show. They didn’t give it a chance. Plus Anthony Head is always a pleasure to watch.

18. 100% guilty pleasure after 3 episodes. I’m actually really enjoying it. But the ratings after the first episode has prepared me this this. Thank goodness there arent a bajillion episodes. At least this way the 5 of us watching can see the entire season. Can the CW pick this up? It seems more their type of show anyway..

19. Still Star Crossed: I love this show, love the expensive costumes, the Cathedral scenes, the power plays, the shock insults, & the black actors. I even like the script. I can’t believe people saw this show is a loser. It is exciting & I love everything about it

• Mama Grizzly says:

The show is absolutely delightful. Beautiful people in beautiful surroundings, romance, good acting. Think about it. It was too much to ask for.

20. Eh. The trailers didn’t really pick up my interest, but I was still looking forward to it because of Torrance Coombs. Fingers crossed he will land a better gig soon.

21. Marie says:

Enjoying the show but not surprised by this news. At least ABC will let the show run its course. Unlike NBC, who yanked ‘Powerless’ with only 2 episodes left to air. I wonder if the shooting schedule for ‘Still Star-Crossed’ prevented Torrance Coombs from being on the series finale of ‘Reign’?

• ninergrl6 says:

Sounds like yes. Coombs said in an Instagram live chat earlier this week that the plan was for Bash to return to Reign at some point (which contradicts what the head writer said last week that Bash was dead based on something Rizzio said towards the beginning of the season) but Reign had to wrap up so quickly (he said they were almost done with filming season 4 when they found out it was cancelled) that there just wasn’t time to fit him in. I don’t remember when SSC finished filming but I think Reign was done in December.

22. LolaHaze says:

Oh well. Can’t say I wasn’t expecting this. It was absolute trash. But it was my kind of absolute trash, you know?

23. Yoko says:

Shonda should have put more effort into Grey’s instead of this doomed project.

24. LaDonna says:

So, am I the only one who didn’t even realize this show was on the air yet? No wonder it’s already been relegated to the death slot.

25. Aeol says:

This show was horrible. Say what you want about personal opinions re: the quality other Shondaland shows, but this was literally like amateur hour. I’m amazed they produced this schlock then put it on the air.

26. AngieD says:

I think there are multiple problems. Instead of selling the show as Star Crossed Lovers, it’s really one about feuding families and the politics of the arranged marriage. the tie to Romeo and Juliet is just misleading IMHO because it’s not about them. So, if people were tuning in for an epic romance, they are not getting what they were expecting. Rosalind and Benvolio don’t like each other. Rosalind and the King are in love from years ago, but he’s doing his duty. Then add a mystery saboteur to the political intrigue. The show is all over the place. Also, it didn’t help that there was an extra week between episode 2 and 3.

27. Muffy says:

I knew it was DOA.

28. Ryan says:

Wow, that’s a surprise

29. Iakovos says:

What to watch on Saturdays> STILL STAR-CROSSED or DOUBT? Hmmmm… These may be flameouts but how good to have some original programming on Saturdays! This is broadcast lemonade (when ratings give you lemons) and I will drink. Never understood why the weekend night became a wasteland. It is an opportunity to burn off new shows, repeat ones that need buzz for new season ahead especially those with all the convoluted plotting! You might attract a new audience.

• Mama Grizzly says:

Saturday Night for years, decades, even, was the night for love and romance on ABC. The LoveBoat was one of ABC’s greatest hits. This show will last and be successful if they continue to air it. The question is “Is” ABC ready for this show? That is the issue in a nutshell.

30. Mama Grizzly says:

I hope it won’t get cancelled

31. Latte94 says:

Nope, just re stupid rendition trying to use an age old classic to a modern day what ever that was suppose to be.

32. Marcia says:

I liked the show. It was hard to follow. Costumes were outstanding.

33. J. Gardiner says:

The political climate in the U.S. is not helping this series to succeed. I personally love this show and the diversity.

• Mama Grizzly says:

Yep. Think about what happened in America, first we had a classy intelligent first family(2008-2016) and now we have a tawdry boorish first family of “pretenders to the throne”. We all know why, even if America will never admit it.

34. Cortney says:

Yes I will miss it I truly did like the show, I do t think we have the show a fair chance with only 3 episodes…. seriously let us get deeper first.. thanks a lot abc

35. darn, sorry to see Still Star-Crossed go. I liked it quite a bit but wasn’t home to watch it. I would record the episodes and watch them on Sundays. Heck, the actors were great and I enjoyed the story line…they and the show sure had me hook, line and sinker!!

36. Cheryl says:

So first ABC cancels high-ratings comedy “Last Man Standing” and now they screw “crossed” before it even airs by making it impossible to find in the schedule. They should have just waited to air until basketball was finished. Who’s running things over there now?

37. Breeze says:

Too bad, I love this show. It’s fresh and different. Networks are so quick to not give shows a real chance.

38. Yes I will miss this show love it ! It’s keeps you wanting for more when it goes off . Very sad to hear it’s been canceled maybe it’s the timing of when it aired. Should have come on in the fall more people home watching tv . I will truly miss this show .

39. shannon irwin says:

I’m very sad to hear this. I very much enjoyed this great tale.

40. Julia Baggett says:

I really do like this series, actually just about anything Shonda produces. Please don’t cancelled her show. I love this era and the characters.

41. Linda says:

Parting is such sweet sorrow….I loved this series, disappointed.

42. Audrey Thomas says:

I, wraught with misgivings was I, when first I saw episode 2 before 1. But slowed, my angst last did I see 1 then 3. A sigh of relief…ah…tis ok!?!

43. Allie says:

The show never got a chance! This is why traditional TV in the end is not going to make it. If this show had been on Netflix or even CW it would make it. I just need to stay to the high channels or CW. The lower channels just aren’t like what we grew up with!

44. Danielle Dixon says:

I really liked the show. .. So sad

45. Deveron says:

I am so disappointed!! I was looking forward to seeing this all week. I wish they would re-think this and air it again a second season.

46. Sherria Mitchell says:

Oh no, every time I start to like a show it gets cancelled, bummer!!!

47. Carla says:

Very disappointed to see the show come to such an abrupt end, I rather enjoyed it, it’s diverse cast and intrigue. I must admit, I eagerly awaited each episode.

• Mama Grizzly says:

Don’t miss the rest of the episodes. There are 4 more and they will restart them on Saturday July 8th.

48. Christian says:

I’m devastated. I simply loved this show. I wish they could give it a chance because the audience might come for the summer because its new in a tv sea of reruns and reality shows. I love costume dramas anyway so I guess I’m a bit bias but I also found the characters to be quite contemporary in a lot of their scenes.

49. Xandra says:

Methinks someone blundered in the scheduling. I arose early from slumber to tune in and found Family Feud showing. To be or not to be? I am very fond of this program and will continue to watch ’til the bitter end. Thanks Shondaland for bringing elegance and intrigue to network television.

50. Sylvia C Gilliam says:

Yea i like that show. It was getting good.