Downton Abbey Movie

Downton Abbey Movie 'In the Works'; Filming Tentatively Slated for 2018

Less than two years after the Crawleys bade farewell to their international audience, a plan is in motion to reopen the doors of Downton Abbey.

“There’s a movie in the works,” Michael Edelstein, president at NBCUniversal International Studios, told the Associated Press this week at the opening of Downton Abbey: The Exhibition in Singapore. “It’s been in the works for some time. We are working on getting the script right, and then we’ve got to figure out how to get the [cast] together. … But we’re hopeful to make a movie sometime next year.”

But getting the original stars back together could be easier said than done. When asked about the movie’s prospects, Sophie McShera (who played cook Daisy Mason) told the AP, “We have no idea if it’s happening … but we would all love to be part of the film if it was to happen.”

Laura Carmichael (aka Lady Edith) also quipped, “Tell my agent, because we’re still waiting to know [if the movie is coming together]. We’re hoping that will happen soon.”

Many cast members from the British import, which aired Stateside on PBS from Jan. 2011 to March 2016, have already gone on to other projects since the show wrapped production: Michelle Dockery (aka Lady Mary Crawley) is now stirring up trouble on TNT’s Good Behavior; Dan Stevens (the late, great Matthew Crawley) is headlining FX’s Legion; and Brendan Coyle (John Bates) is cleaning up on the Esquire Network’s Spotless.

Are you hoping that a Downton movie comes to fruition? If so, what are you hoping to see? If not, why not? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. T.W.S.S. says:

Unnecessary, but of course I’ll watch. But you know what really needs a movie, Agent Carter.

2. Anne says:

Woot!!!!! I’m excited!!!
    I love to see little Sybil grown up and being exactly like her mother and father with activism and women’s suffrage.
    I’d also love to see a happy ending for Thomas.

• Lauren says:

Thomas was a horrible person. I get that he had various issues and demons that made him who he was, but it doesn’t excuse like 85% of his behavior over the course of the series.

• Anne says:

100% on board with you about Thomas being a terrible person. But I think he tried to change who he was and become better. The last few seasons we definitely saw a change in how he treated people and how he saw himself. It’s *that* Thomas that deserves a happy ending. I enjoyed watching someone mature and become a better person.
        If Mary can have a happy ending, so too can Thomas

• Ted says:

I feel like, for Thomas, finally finding a sense of belonging with the Crowleys and taking Carson’s place WAS his happy ending.

• A fan of TV says:

By the time Sybie will be of age, women will have already earned the vote in the UK. She’d be all over the WW2 effort, though, from a feminist perspective.

3. pennypsue says:

We want to see Daisy get married, as well as Mosley and Baxter get married. We want to see Thomas actually become a nice person. We want to see the Crawleys have more children. We want to see Tom happily married again.

4. Mary says:

I would watch but I actually was happy with how they ended things.

5. Kay says:

I’m conflicted on this- they ended it so well. Will it move them into WWII?

6. ragnar51 says:

A movie would be great. It would also be great to see Thomas and the former maid O’Brien get what they deserve!!

7. Butch says:

Wouldn’t the Crawleys have been wiped out by the Depression? Perhaps they lose Downton Abby and move in to Mrs. Patmore’s BB with the outhouse.

• Corky says:

Why would they be wiped out? The Carnarvons weren’t. Mary and Edith just married money, Tom has a car dealership, Edith owns a magazine and the estate is self supporting.

• maggie says:

Edith married someone far richer than her family, and a higher title than her dad, Mary married a man with no money or title. That was the “twist” ending they gave to Mary, who was always concerned about money and status. Also a “twist” for Edith, who was always a loser in everything compared to Mary. Edith got money, status, and most importantly, she married a man she loved and who loved her. Tom started a repair shop that sells a few used cars on the side, with the plan to eventually start an auto company when he and Henry make enough money. Both Mary and Tom could believably be in financial trouble.

8. wylma says:

Damn, I was hoping for something set 20 years later with young master Crawley struggling to take care of a soon-to-be dilapidated mansion and dwindling business. This was something the series creator himself stated that he would like to do.

9. Kurt says:

After reading these comments I don’t see how the movie can include all of the characters in a meaningful way in 2 hours.That’s the problem with a Downton Abbey movie. If it tries to include every character it’s going to lack story. In order to have a decent story, the movie can’t include every cast member. I would much rather prefer they put the resources into maybe a 3-4 episode mini series.

10. Mollir Lee says:

Hopefully they’ll stay in keeping with time and won’t vamp it up too much just to get a wider audience.

11. Cheryl Faulk says:

I’ve missed Downton a lot. I didn’t realize how much I began to rely on a weekly fix of the of that divine cast. I would love to see what happens to the Crawleys and the household staff. I’d be curious to know how Henry & Tom’s auto dealership thrived. I’d love to see Matthew Goode and Michele Dougherty back again. I always felt they got rushed through their courtship. The chemistry between those two was amazing. I suppose it would be interesting to move the storyline into/or post the WWII era too. It would be interesting to see how all the children grew up and if the Crawleys kept Downtown Abbey intact. All I can say for sure is if Matthew Goode isn’t involved, I won’t be excited to see it. Matthew made Season 6. Oh yes, it would be interesting to see how Edith & Bertie do at Brancaster Castle with his mother. There were also a lot of storylines left unfinished. Tom has to find love, the Bates have to find happiness with their little family, will Daisy find love, will Mrs Patmore & Mr. Mason end up together, and will the bad people, like Mrs. Crawley’s step sons, finally get their due. And did I mention it will only be successful if Matthew Goode is in it. And please don’t make him as wussy as you did in season 6. This man is a stud and needs to be portrayed as such. Good luck and stay classy with your endeavor!

• maggie says:

Mary and Henry’s courtship was too quick that it felt false. They need to show them struggling in their marriage, as any two people who barely knew each other and had little in common would naturally have.

12. ALM says:

Like so many others, I am torn. Downton Abbey is very high on my all-time favorite series list, and I loved the way it ended. While I would enjoy seeing more, I am afraid they might do what so many American “reunion” shows and movies do: break up couples or have some other bad things happen to start it off and give the characters something to go through. If that is the case here, please leave it as is. I had rather re-watch a great series with a great ending than have that blown apart by something new.

13. Kepler says:

Omg want this so much.

14. Rita Dunlap says:

Edith has twin boys !!
    Lady Violet and the Russian Prince..spend their last year’s together…after her washes his hair n gets a hair cut !
    Robert’s new dog has puppies.
    Tom has a nice ” revolutionary ” wife…who is a pioneer for women in auto mechanics.
    The Abbey earns it’s keep !
    Mary has a little girl that looks like Edith !
    Daisy becomes England’s premier woman suffragette.
    Mrs. Patmore and Daisy’s father in law….marry …..Lady Rose and her husband….have a boy and girl when the movie starts. Everyone in a tizzy as movie starts!! Mrs. Baxter has her own dress shop in York and marries , oh dear…the guy who becomes an asst. Teacher..only now he is Principal at a school in York.
    Carson is still holding sway over the Abbey bemoaning…..the changes of the world as WWII is raging. But…he is taking up managing Soccer…(not a stretch)..as his condition makes…doing anything but “planning” at the Abbey….and we still get to hear THAT VOICE! MRS. CARSON…is training her replacement…who is pleasant, but walks in her sleep ! Moves things out of their normal places ! AND…no one but the audience knows!
    Cora n Robert become involved grandparents…shocking Lady Violet !
    Lady Crawley and her new hubby kick his rotten kids out of the BIG HOUSE and turn it into a Med. School !
    The new vicar at the village church is a married black man…. whose wife has her own beauty shop in the village…shock..a working wife !! The Abbey Vineyard stated by Andy is a stunning success…and the premier wine is called.
    …”LEATHER!”

15. If this was 20 years later or so…damn it would be awesome if George Crawley is played by Dan Stevens….or maybe an epilogue!!! the movie and the last 10 min of grown ups Sybil, George and Marigold taking care of Downtow!!! (or an nowdays generation) just please any excuse to have Dan Steven back

16. A fan of TV says:

They won’t need Dan Stevens, I presume…what would this movie be without Maggie Smith is what I wonder, on top of “Is this really necessary, since Downton’s finale was tidy, complete, and satisfying?”

17. Marsha Honda says:

Would like a trilogy like The Godfather or epic like The Thorn Birds. Past future more more about Mr. Bates past, Matthew, Sybil. Upset you killed them off. Can they come back in flashbacks.

18. Violet Lemm says:

I would love a movie, but would rather see Downton Abby continue, after the wedding, the little ones growing up, etc. Miss the show so much.

19. Donna says:

Yes,plz make that movie

20. Melanie Arnold says:

I did not get on board with “Downtonmania” until everyone stopped talking about it (actually late 2016). I began watching the PBS marathons in the middle of the series….when they were packing up the hospital equipment, beds, etc. I watched two episodes and began
    TiVo-ing the rest…I was hooked! Many of the Christmas gifts were Downtown Abbey related items….Here it is 2017 and I keep watching my discs and so glad I have them to escape to that era….so much nicer than the news these days! You would have one very happy belated fan if a movie were made. Anything story-wise would be wonderful to see! Looking forward to Downton Abbey, the movie!