Fall TV Preview
Grey's Anatomy Season 14 Raver

Grey's Anatomy: Kim Raver Set to Return, on Heels of Ray Donovan Arc

Kim Raver will be playing doctor twice in the coming months.

On the heels of the 24 alum booking an arc on Showtime’s Ray Donovan — as cutting-edge surgeon Dr. Bergstein (Season 5 premieres Sunday, Aug. 6) — Raver is also set to reprise her role as Grey’s Anatomy‘s Dr. Teddy Altman, our sister site Deadline reports.

Raver last played Teddy in the ABC drama’s Season 8 finale, in which Meredith, Cristina and others fought to survive the aftermath of their plane crash in the woods. (R.I.P., Lexie.) Back at Seattle Grace, meanwhile, Owen fired Teddy so that she could without guilt accept a chief position at the United States Army Medical Command.

Teddy was in fact mentioned in last month’s Season 13 finale, as the person who confirmed that Owen’s sister/Nathan’s ex-love Dr. Megan Hunt had been found alive, 10 years after an Army helicopter disappearance. Raver will return to Grey’s as a guest star, presumably as a part of that continuing storyline and/or TO CLAIM OWEN AS HERS AND HERS ALONE.

Want scoop on Grey’s Anatomy, or for any other show? Email InsideLine@tvline.com and your question may be answered via Matt’s Inside Line.

1. Ken says:

Awesome! I really like her.

2. Frankie says:

Now this is a cast addition/guest star that’s worthy!

3. Rob says:

This is great. It always helps enrich the world to bring back characters that you sent off so we don’t have to wonder why we’re not hearing from those characters. It often doesn’t work (Katherine Heigl, Sara Ramirez come to mind) but I still always have hope to see Kate Walsh and Sandra Oh again at some point. This is a great start.

• LaDonna says:

I agree so much about Kate Walsh. I would love to see her come back to help Arizona with some complicated case, and have at least one big scene with Addison and Meredith mourning together and then proceeding to drink in Derek’s memory.

• Iris says:

I’ve actually hoped the last few years that they would bring back Katherine Heigl. Believe me, I know there is virtually zero chance of this happening (I don’t imagine that Shonda would ever work with her again), but I think it would be a great story line. This season was blah, and they need to do something to shake things up a little.

• Julia says:

Agree 100%! Loved Katherine on Grey’s (except for the Denny storyline…I know I’m probably in the minority but didn’t enjoy that).

• Gospino says:

I loved Izzie and would support this return. Unless she got killed off. But yeah, Shonda is unlikely to ever work with Heigl again.

• Grey's Fan says:

Izzie hasn’t been on since Season 6 they could recast the role if they thought it worked for the storyline. I’d love for April to punch her face in for the way she treated Alex.

I’m surprised TVLine has never done a post with six to eight (more?) possible recasts of the role.

• Hannah says:

Honestly, April punching Izzie in the face for how she wrecked Alex would be the only reason I would want to see her back as well.

• Ryan says:

That’s funny. Kepner’s such a pushover softie. Izzie would kick her ass if she even tried something. The thought of that is laughable.

• grazelled says:

I loved Kate Walsh and Sandra Oh on Grey’s. It sure is a different show without Christina.

4. Kay says:

YES! So excited to hear this!

5. Julie says:

I love Kim Raver, and Teddy was my favorite character with Lexie, I haven’t watched the two last seasons of Grey’s but I think I’ll watch these episodes !

6. Lauren says:

Yes! Now bring back Kate Walsh.

7. William says:

Yes!!!!!! I absolutely LOVED Teddy on the show so I welcome the opportunity to see her again. Eager to see how she’ll interact with Owen after all this time.

• Grey's Fan says:

And with Arizona since they were good friends. Also I can’t wait to hear what Teddy’s take is on the Callie/Arizona breakup since they were her “ideal” couple. It will also be interesting to see how se relates to Alex, Meredith, April and Jackson who were all residents last time she worked there.

8. Matt C. says:

Ahhh, this is so exciting! Teddy was one of my favorite characters from back in the day. I can’t wait to see her again!

9. Garbo says:

YHASSSSSSS was my reaction when I saw that headline, only I kept it going for a good 30 seconds. Now there is only one thing left to do : Make. Her. Regular. ASAP.

10. Ci says:

Kim is such a great actress. Can’t wait to see Teddy again!

11. kmw says:

She is a busy one. It will be nice to see her on screen again I have like her in everything she has done

12. Amber says:

I hope she’s either happily single or finally got the husband and family she always wanted. Teddy could have been an awesome character if it wasn’t for the desperately single, dumb in love, widow on a warpath arcs they gave her.

13. Fantastic news…can’t wait to see her on the show again. Maybe this will end the tedious Amelia and Owen mess. Teddy and Henry (Scott Foley) were one of my all-time favorite Grey’s couples and storylines.

14. Jessa says:

Yes! This is who Owen should be with, not Amelia!

• Frankie says:

Here here! Amelia was much better off on Private Practice. And I always secretly championed an Owen/Teddy pairing.

15. Karen says:

I’m in the minority here, but was never a fan of Teddy (or Owen, for that matter). If I had my druthers, I’d rather see Kate Walsh and/or Sara Ramirez back at Grey Sloan. It would also be lovely to have Taye Diggs show up in Seattle, but he has a new show now. And I think Sandra Oh is not the type to return, but I can dream!

• Laura says:

I thought it was just me . . . not really excited about this.

• Grey's Fan says:

Pretty sure if Sandra Oh ever agreed to return for a one episode arc they’d keep it hush hush like when George Clooney returned to ER for the Nurse’s final show (sorry don’t know her know). If Meredith didn’t have three kids they could have her impulsively visit Switzerland for a bit of girl talk and dancing with Cristina.

Or, the show would bring Cristina back to Seattle for a multi-episode arc, which would be harder to keep on the Q.

• Derek says:

If I were Shonda, I’d offer Oh 3 million for a 6 episode stint. Make each regular miss one episode next season if that is what is needed to save up the money.

• LemonLime623 says:

You know, I’m kind of glad Cristina is gone, and not because I didn’t like her, nor is it because I don’t like Sandra Oh– I LOVE both and I MISS Cristina. But her storyline was done. There was nothing else for the character to accomplish, nor was she able to grow anymore. Sometimes there’s nowhere for a character to go, but be written off. I feel the same way about Sara Ramirez and Callie Torres (though I don’t quite love her as much as Cristina).

Now, Teddy? I LOVE her and I echo Matt’s sentiment of her coming back TO CLAIM OWEN AS HERS AND HERS ALONE, as he so eloquently put it. She’s earned it, and it kills me to say it because I love the concept of him and Amelia together, but the writers KILLED that when she broke his heart by being Cristina 2.0.

Oh, and Addison? I’ll watch that wholeheartedly, and many times.

Izzie can stay wherever she is.

16. Kelly says:

YESSSS I was wavering on watching next season but if Teddy is coming back I’m definitely watching!

17. Julia says:

Liked her on Grey’s. Glad she’s returning! Wish it was permanent. Hopefully they’ll give her a good storyline, which has been lacking on Grey’s in recent years. She’s one of the few characters Shonda didn’t kill off so she actually CAN return!! Agree with others who say they’d love for Kate Walsh to return. Addison was one of my favorites!

18. Dominique says:

yes, i love this! i really liked teddy, they just wasted a lot of time having her pine after men who would never end up with her. her romance with henry was beautiful and i think they could’ve done so much more with her after that. i’m glad she’ll be back, even if it’s only temporary.

19. T.W.S.S. says:

I only watched Grey’s seasons 3 to 8 (the Lexie years) and I grew to appreciate Altman, especially after she got married.

20. Dannie C says:

Makes me excited to watch a greys ep or two

21. aria808 says:

Maybe they’re using her return to possibly set her up to transfer to the spinoff.

22. Derek says:

I actually liked Teddy a lot. A great mentor to Christina. I loved her heartbreaking marriage too. I’m glad to see her back and it makes total sense. If they are going to pull off this major missing sister retcon – a sister we heard nothing about for 7 seasons even though she would have been a major part of Owen’s PTSD treatment or someone his best friend or mother would have mentioned – it makes sense to have Dr. Altman back.

23. AlliDone says:

I am so excited that Teddy will be back!!! Yay! I would much rather Owen end up with Teddy than anyone else at this point. Cristina and him were never a good fit, he fit better with Teddy… you know, after her husband died.

24. Gospino says:

Great news! And lol at the last line of this article. :D

25. N says:

Not so crazy about Teddie

26. Em says:

I’m super excited about this!! And I love that so many people, after all these years, use any excuse to start asking for Kate Walsh back. Addison was, and will always be, my fave. But Teddy, for her period on the show, was always in the running.

27. tahinas says:

Great news, I hope this will open the doors for others to come back too: ..Sara Ramirez, Sandra and Kate Walsh.

28. Lyndy says:

I may have to come back to Grey’s…she’s one of my all time fav GA characters.
    Her romance story line with Scott Foley still melts my heart to this day. I often binge watch the clips on Youtube.

29. A.D. says:

Lord….she was sooooo boring…did not miss her at all

30. Keni k stone says:

Hopefully she will become a series regular again.

31. fiberlicious says:

YIPPEE! I loved Teddy!

32. DarkDefender says:

This is good news. I like her character. I think it is likely just part of the Megan/medical treatment arc – but I would love her to come back as a cardio god, then Maggie can get her freak on more with Jackson. Also it will let them have Nathan leave. Bring in someone new and amazing for Mer!

33. Jeffrey Rahm says:

Yes, please bring back Sandra, possibly with the heart she printed to go in the first recipient, her of course doing the surgery

34. Jayne Hernon says:

Please bring back Christina , she is so missed.

35. Hannah says:

Oh god YES. I was praying that we would see her when Amelia and Owen mentioned her in the finale. Please please please let her be in more than one episode. I miss Teddy!

36. Mirabai says:

Much more importantly – is Bridget Regan going to be at least in a recurring role as Owen’s sister?