Orphan Black Recap

Orphan Black: Was That the Show's Most Horrific Death Yet?

Warning: The following contains spoilers for Saturday’s Orphan Black.

Orphan Black is no stranger to disturbing imagery — remember what Helena did to Henrik Johanssen? How about the tail? — but Saturday’s violent death of skittish clone M.K. (played, of course, by Tatiana Maslany) is particularly difficult to watch.

Orphan Black RecapIn order to help Sarah escape with Kira, Veera/M.K. pretends to be her sestra, who is pretending to be Rachel. But Ferdinand isn’t entirely fooled by the disguise as he spots M.K.’s facial scars underneath the blond wig. He seizes the opportunity to cross off two revenge fantasies at once by punishing M.K. for stealing his money, while also getting his anger out at Rachel. (His sex partner refuses to indulge him and hit him now that P.T. Westmoreland has changed her life. #crymeariver)

“Pardon me, Rachel, after all those years I invested in you, all that money, which is so fantastic because you stole it from me, didn’t you, Veera?” he sneers, pinning the clone to the ground. “I even get to finish Helsinki,” he adds, referring to the clone purge that M.K. survived.

Orphan Black RecapWith that, Ferdinand brutally and repeatedly stomps on poor M.K.’s chest, exclaiming, “You hurt me, Rachel!” until she’s dead. Just the sound of her bones being crushed is more than enough to induce nightmares. Then there’s the added heartbreak of knowing M.K.’s demise came just as she was finally starting to fully integrate into Clone Club, with Sarah reassuring her sick sis, “You’re with us now.”

That isn’t the only extreme act of violence in the episode. Helena, fearful that her neonatal doctor is a Neo, stabs the other woman with a needle — through her cheek, tongue and other cheek, pinning her to the hospital bed! Eek! That kind of horrific imagery is expected from Helena, but the disturbing fashion in which M.K. went felt like a gut-punch that won’t soon be forgotten.

Orphan Black fans, what was your reaction to M.K.’s death? Hit the comments with your thoughts.

1. maggie says:

Thank was a horrible death. I was so shocked at how it happened, and hope Ferdinand gets an equally horrible punishment for what he did. RIP MK.

2. Lysh says:

Yeah, that was hard to watch. So was the syringe through the mouth. This episode felt better/more eventful than the premiere despite having to look away twice.
    LOL at #crymeariver.

3. Simon says:

This episode, felt even less eventful than the premiere, which at least explored some new locales and concepts. This episode just rehashed the umpteenth botched deal between Sarah and the bad guys, and frankly a feel a burn like Keira about the whole thing

• dude says:

I disagree. That episode was awesome. And I dont see how you can call and episode where the first clone in god knows how long died, “less eventful”

• Simon says:

Fair point, you’re right l. I guess MK’s death, however brutal, was reached in a bit of a contrived way, and felt more like “let’s tie up this loose end as this is the final season”, rather than a truly emotional moment

4. Cate says:

Yes, it was brutal. Poor MK! And remember, she had the chance to kill Ferdinand for what he did to her clone sisters killed in the Helsinki purge.

Helena skewering the dodgy doctor on the other hand was classic OB/Helena violence. Rewatched the tail chop off recently – very nasty! I mean it’s not like she killed that doctor. I’m sure with careful removal she’ll be fine!!

5. spdavid says:

Ferdinand apparently wants to stamp out clones.Lets hope he gets his pay back for that.Just be glad they didn’t show what that would have really looked like because the real thing would have been much nastier.

Maybe Helena will get a turn with him,that would be the best pay back.

6. Television says:

That was really hard to watch and disturbing. I don’t know why she just couldn’t go with her and the two of them escape. Wasted time arguing over it and all that. That always is irritating.

7. KLS says:

So? Where did Helena go? Some place only Sara knows about. Maybe the place where she killed their mother? The needle attack was classic, but through the cheek was different. The chest stomping was brutal. I knew someone was going to die, but I didn’t know how. Maid me squirm.

8. Alichat says:

I am surprised Rachel let Ferdinand live. He disobeyed an order. He killed a clone in a brutal way. I expected more than just escorting him from the building.