Luther Limited Series 2018

Idris Elba's Luther to Return With 4-Part Season 5, Tend to 'Unfinished Business'

BBC America announced on Monday that Golden Globe winner Idris Elba will suit back up as Luther, for a four-part Season 5 penned by series creator Neil Cross. Filming will commence in early 2018.

“Now what? It’s a question Idris and I get asked a lot,” Cross shared in a statement. “What happened to [DCI] John Luther after we last saw him striding unbowed through the streets of his city, his blood-red London?” at the close of the two-part Season 4 circa December 2015. “It can’t be over, can it? There’s so much we don’t know. So much unfinished business. The thing is, we’ve been asking ourselves the same question. Because we love John and wonder what he’s up to. And as for me, I’m scared of the monsters. The face at the window. The hand under the bed. The shadow at the end of the street. Who’s going to stop them, if not John Luther?

“In the end, we picked up the phone to some old friends and asked if they’d like to find out what happens next,” Cross continued. “It turns out, they would. So that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to find out what happens next.”

Elba himself said, “Neil, the BBC and I have been talking about a further season and I am thrilled that we have been able to bring it all together. I look forward to putting the coat back on.”

1. Gina says:

Yes! Love Luther

2. Imzadi says:

Thank god, season 4 was really not enough and rather unsatisfactory.

3. El S Boy says:

Alice… Alice… Alice…

4. jon says:

YES! Please, pretty please make sure Alice is around.

5. Taylor says:

ALICE PLEASE

6. jason says:

Like I imagine most of the comments will be. I really want Alice back. This show created such a great dynamic between those two the show isn’t the same without her character.

7. Luis Roman says:

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

8. MMD says:

Love, love, love Luther and its portrayer Idris Elba. Really glad there is going to be more! Really need Alice back.

9. Csr says:

Yippee! More Alice, please!

10. Luther + Alice Fan says:

Absolutely must have some Alice. She is too brilliant and enjoys playing with Luther’s head too much not to bring her back. If there’s any thought at all that this will be the last season (I certainly hope not!), then she must come back. We must have Alice + Luther = mind-blowing entertainment. Thank you all for returning to film this new season. Yay!

11. T. says:

I want Alice pleeeeeeeaaaaaaase! We *really* miss your character, Ms. Ruth Wilson.

12. DryHeat says:

DCI John “LOOFAH” returns!!! YAY!
    Love me some Idris Elba ;-)

13. ? says:

Okay, great, but we really need Ruth Wilson back. The show is really both of them. It was only ever half as good without her (which was still plenty good). And no, I don’t believe the villain of last season killed Alice. Not for a minute!

14. BrianR says:

Still mad they killed off Alice, She’s the best villain/hero ever.

15. BlittleU says:

The way Alice “died” was unacceptable, there’s no way she would get taken out like that. They need to rectify that storyline mistake by bringing her back.

16. miller says:

best news today!!

17. Shelia says:

Love love love!! Luther can’t say it enough. Been waiting to hear this news for months, years even. I hope this includes Alice of course. Alice and Luther together just give me ‘Life’

18. odell01 says:

I’m not a critic, but for some, Luther’s one of the best choices on Netflix if you want new police procedural drama. This same announcement I retweeted the other day, because I’m not sure it was definitely going to happen until now.

19. sladewilson says:

Finally!!!! Bring back Alice and make all right in the world. It’s about time….

• Hernán Jaén says:

If Neil Cross and Ruth Wilson can find a way to fix it, Alice Morgan will be back. Neil is too much of a great writer to drag a mystery about a missing character for two seasons; besides, he absolutely loves Alice. I wouldn’t be surprised if the key to bring her back was Laura Haddock’s Megan’s last line. ‘Perhaps that’s why I did it, but I didn’t’. What if Megan was a friend and not a foe? What if all the Antwerp business was just Alice’s opportunity to leave her past behind and start a new life with a new identity? What if Megan had been keeping the diamonds for Alice in exchange for a little share (certainly smaller than George Cornellius’s)? ;-)