Fargo to End With Season 3?

Is Noah Hawley fresh out of ideas for Fargo?

The creator was asked about the future of his Emmy-winning FX anthology at ATX Festival, where he indicated that the Season 3 finale (airing on Wednesday, June 21) could very well serve as the show’s swan song.

“There’s only a certain amount of storytelling you can tell in that vein. And I love telling stories in this vein, but I don’t have another one yet,” Hawley said, per EW.com. “So watch the 10th hour [of Season 3] because it might be the last.”

Hawley’s statement reaffirms what FX Networks CEO John Landgraf told The Hollywood Reporter back in May: “There may never be another Fargo… unless Noah [Hawley] has an idea for Fargo that he thinks he can make as good as the prior three.”

Fargo wouldn’t be the first FX series to go on an indefinite hiatus. Louis C.K. stepped away from Louie after its fifth season aired in 2015, but the door was left wide open for a sixth season down the line.

Would you be bummed if Fargo‘s third season was its last?

1. hansen says:

I have great respect for networks and producers that has enough integrity to not drag shows on and on. I’d rather shows end strong

• KLS says:

Agreed. It would be refreshing to hear that when the writers/producers say they are tapped out, the networks agree and end things. But, it all comes down to money, so we’ll see.

2. kmw says:

Yes bummed but better to leave this series while it still is doing well than let it drag on with stories Hawley cannot get behind

3. Wrstlgirl says:

This season is a huge disappointment. Just my feeling of course.

• NC says:

I feel bad about it, but I share your opinion – it’s certainly not awful, but I’m just not enjoying it the way I did the other. Maybe the novelty has worn off. And I’m not much for gore, but I suppose it is supposed to be dark!

• Donna Salvi says:

Couldn’t agree more. Had to stop watching after 4 episodes.

• PatriciaLee says:

This season didn’t grab me, and when I noticed the husband wasn’t recording it, I asked why on his part. “I didn’t understand what was going on. [the first episode season3]” He was riveted for the first 2 seasons. Maybe it lost the everyman/woman view. If she had just driven the car with the body to the police right off… Everyone could identify with someone doing something stupid. This season needed keep it simple s…

• Lona says:

I totally agree, loved first two seasons but having trouble following this one

• kirads09 says:

Loved the first two seasons but just couldn’t get into this one at all.

4. Joey Padron says:

It would be good to end the show with season 3. Good thing he haves Legion and could work on another new TV projects in the future. He is a great writer and storyteller with his shows.

5. LAwoman says:

I really like this season, mostly because of Mary Elizabeth Winstead. I will miss the show if it’s the end.

• Jimmy says:

Yes I like her too!!! But this season definitely did not bring the wood like the previous 2 seasons. Hopefully, the season (maybe series) finale is awesome.

6. Erik liddell says:

Love the series. I’m hooked!

7. Jules says:

I don’t want it to end. Season 1 didn’t do much for me, but I loved season 2. Season 3 has kept me sucked in, too, although I still love 2 the most. But I don’t want it to end yet. Not yet! Noah Hawley does great with female characters.

• Lona says:

first season was my favorite. Loved Billy Bob Thornton, I think he won an Emmy if I’m not mistaken. I know he was nominated. I would still like it to continue another season. If it’s not very good like this last season, I’m done.

• KLS says:

He was nominated for an Emmy in 2014, but didn’t win. I think he won a Golden Globe for Fargo though the followng year (2015).

8. Walkie says:

It’s clear from the downturn in quality this season that Hawley would be smart to shelve it for a while. If another great idea comes to him, maybe he will do another season.

But this season has been a disappointment.

9. Pat says:

Let’s hope so. Aside from the first season, the last 2 were just awful. Boring and just out & out stupid.

• Lona says:

It does seem to be going downhill from season 1. I have almost stopped watching this last season several times. Still hanging in there but not much hope left

10. danoregon says:

It is interesting that the lifespan of even successful shows seems to be shorter and shorter. How many shows have started “hot” and not even made it to a fourth year?

Maybe someone could take the end of “The Americans” and use some of the characters in a spin-off set in Russia when the oligarchs took over after the Wall came down and Putin began his rise. I imagine that would be interesting.

11. Julie G says:

Fargo is one of the best series – no its the best series. Each season makes me want for more. Hooked!!! One more season please🤞🏻😃

12. TV Gord says:

I echo Hansen’s initial comment. I also have immense respect. HOWEVER, I understand feeling spent after completing a project and thinking you have no more to give. I think, after some time, we will see a season four. As a fan, I don’t see this as a well that has run dry.

I’m several episodes behind on Fargo, but I eagerly look forward to getting caught up by next week;s season finale. I haven’t put off watching it because I don’t want to watch. I’m a practitioner of delaying gratification. I will probably binge-watch next weekend. In fact, I hope to make next week Tantric Fargo!

13. Aaron says:

I would be bummed if Fargo was cancelled.

14. Chloe says:

I’m not as caught up in Season 3 as I was in the first 2 seasons. But I still hope it comes back for Season 4.

15. Toni Kondrich says:

Please!! I look forward to each season, each episode !!
    I love the characters and the actors who betray them.
    I so appreciate the “Fargo” accent!

16. Jax&Juice's Girl says:

Love the first 2 seasons it was so good and so funny I thought S3 will be the same……. not really. I think FX should cancel it, it’s better off ending with 3 seasons.

17. B says:

I thought this show was created because Noah Hawley was fresh out of ideas? You guys know Fargo wasn’t originally a TV show, right?

18. james says:

All I want is two more seasons – a total of 5 Seasons, thats it! The Coaen Brothers had made 5 films at the start of the series. My assumption is that their next film, “Dark Web” will most likely drop in 2019. It would be the perfect way to go out, equalling the films made by the Coen’s, to total seasons of the show. Then releasing the new film after the series finale, MY GOD! Im sucker for big picture mapping. Regardless of the fact, Anthologies are difficult (True Detective, AMS) to accomplish season after season. Hands down Hawley has done a wonderful job with the show – leaving me to believe their is no one who can fill his shoes. If this does stands to be the end, I’ll be happy I was along for the ride.

19. Steven Chupp says:

Season 3 is the only group of episodes I’ve seen, but it is superior to most. Good job. Your “Denial…” episode in the first half where the two survive the “evil” and then bring in a character to help show why to fight the wrongs… excellent! Kudos all around.

20. Velma says:

Unfortunately this has been the worst season yet. What has happened?!

21. Velma says:

This has been the worst season yet? What happened?!

22. Cheryl Robb says:

If season 3 had been half as good as season 2, yes I would be disappointed if it is the final season. But I have to say this season has left me underwhelmed. The story line is fuzzy at best and I never have been able to figure out what message Noah Hawley was trying to tell. I’ll watch the season finale and maybe it will become clear as mud.

23. Charles tolley says:

What if I wrote a story I tell good stories

24. Patsy Hetz says:

Season 3 of Fargo has been the worst of any series I’ve ever watched! Just when our house hold thought it was coming together it fell apart. We hated it! The first two seasons were fantastic and we were glued to the television. Not so this season. Am I the only viewer that feels this way. To be fair we enjoyed the actors on this season three but the story line was a bust!

25. Cathy Kilgore says:

Yes, I would be upset. I enjoy it and I’m not in the demographic age that it lists. I’m 70 years old. I bought the DVD of the first season. The third season was not as good as the seasons before I agree, but it did get better towards the end. I hope it is renewed and the writers come up with a great story line for season 4.

26. Robert says:

Yes I would be very upset…I wouldn’t call only three seasons “dragging on” if the stories are great like the last three seasons…with all these reality crap shows out there it’s refreshing to watch great shows like this…there are many stories yet to be told…very upset.

27. cory says:

I really hope we get a season 4. I love this show and the suspenseful creepy storytelling that keeps you enthralled from beginning to end. it is understandable if Noah Hawley is burnt out of.ideas,.because sometimes you just don’t have any gas left in the proverbial tank, which is unfortunate but that’s life.

if.this is.the end, thanks.for the entertainment!!

28. PAUL CANCEL says:

I’m waiting 4 season 4,,,Season 3 wasnt so great,like 1&2

29. LJ says:

Guys, I’m not sure where you all are (article author included) but, here in the UK (specifically Scotland) Fargo season 4 is already underway. It’s advertised daily on our Channel 4 – sadly, I’ve not managed to catch any episodes as it’s on at a time when I’m out working but it’s definitely been made and is being aired over here (has been for over a month now). Hopefully it’ll be where you are soon, or at least on various streaming websites… :-D

They’ve also got Ewan McGregor co-starring in it, so expect Macbeth levels of ham acting… ;-)

30. Maria Guerra says:

No ., too good. First two seasons were best for me but still really enjoy it. Bring it Back.

31. Mr Colin West says:

This was my first time watching, and I would be very disappointed if it didn’t make it back. I do understand that they wouldn’t want to lower their standards just to make another season.

32. Nancy Pippo says:

yes, I would be very disappointed if Fargo did not come back. Its just fantastic but of course if he cant make a true story work. I ‘ll say something for the folks in that area of the country…they sure do some strange things! but to be able to tell the story and keep us on the seat of our pants the way he does is fantastic and I love it!!!