the leftovers recap season 3 episode 8 series finale

What Did Leftovers Love Note Say? Has Twin Peaks Hit 'Peak Dougie'? Kevin Can Wait to Be Widowed? And More Qs

We’ve got questions, and you’ve (maybe) got answers! With another week of TV gone by, we’re lobbing queries left and right about shows including The Leftovers, Gotham, The Bachelorette and Fargo!

1 | With Errin Hayes abruptly on the way out, Kevin Can Wait is totally going to make a widower out of its titular patriarch, right?

American Ninja Warrior Jessie Graff2 | Wasn’t it a small shame that American Ninja Warrior: USA vs. The World competitor Jessie Graff wasn’t able to wear her usual Wonder Woman outfit (right), last weekend of all weekends? Which unexpected misstep made you gasp more: Graff failing to get through the first obstacle during Stage 1, or Brian Arnold missing the dismount during Stage 3? (And was anyone else worried about Drew Drechsel’s iPod falling into the water?)

3 | How many Twin Peaks viewers have reached “peak Dougie”? Speaking of whom, how slow must the real Dougie have been that no one in his orbit is currently alarmed by his bizarre, seemingly brain-damaged behavior? And can we agree that dating back to his November MacGyver debut, this has been The Year of Ubiquitous TV Guest Star David Dastmalchian? Unseating even Patrick Fischler??

4 | Leftovers fans, since Damon Lindelof isn’t going to tell us, what do you think Kevin’s carrier pigeon love note said? Do you believe Nora’s story that she went through to the other side and returned? Did you feel relieved or misled to discover that Laurie hadn’t committed suicide? And how attractive did Nora’s quaint cottage and career as a flockmaster make living off the grid in Australia look?

5 | Doesn’t it just figure that Fear the Walking Dead would kill off Travis the minute he started to show some Rick Grimes-y ferocity? Also, didn’t it seem very unlike Strand for the master manipulator to allow himself to be banished from the hotel without more of a (or any) fight?Gotham

6 | Is it any surprise that Gotham‘s Penguin walks funny? Look at his gargantuan shoes! And which sudden outburst of décolleté was more conspicuous: teenage Selina’s, or “bad girl” Lee’s?

7 | Which did you find stranger — the story that The Bachelorette‘s Lucas told about Blake eating a banana over him as he slept, or Rachel’s follow-up question: “Did he finish the banana?” (Say what?) And after watching Lucas and Blake’s hilarious fight, don’t you kind of want ABC to greenlight a spinoff about those two?

8 | As wonderful as it is that Legends of Tomorrow is adding another female series regular (as a Muslim-American hacktivist!), are you concerned that the show has too many characters? Who would you kick off the Waverider?

9 | Regarding General Hospital‘s casting of James DePaiva: Do any longtime viewers remember that the soap vet, before his One Life to Live run, has already surfaced in Port Charles, as a waiter who flirted (hard) with Holly in 1985?

10 | Is Major’s new romance on iZombie totally gonna end badly? And were you surprised to learn that Mr. Boss didn’t know about zombies?

11 | Fair to say this week’s Casual was shot around the holidays, given the Christmas-themed polar bears adorning Laura’s diet Coke can?

12 | Would you be willing to sacrifice Designated Survivor to get more 24 with Kiefer Sutherland? And now that 24: Legacy has been cancelled, what are the odds that The Walking Dead will bring back Corey Hawkins (once he has wrapped his Tony-nominated Six Degrees of Separation run) as Heath to help Rick’s rebel alliance defeat Team Saviors/Scavengers in Season 8?

13 | Would Fargo‘s Nikki and Mr. Wrench really be able to sever a guy’s head with a chain, no matter how hard they pulled? And didn’t that surreal bowling-alley scene seem to wander over from Twin Peaks (complete with a Ray Wise appearance)?

14 | If Nashville‘s Zach is so interested in alternative marketing, how come he hasn’t thought up a strategy to get Juliette’s new record some publicity love? Also, wouldn’t it be more realistic if, just once, an unrehearsed performance — like Juliette’s with the choir — went off with a hitch?

15 | Do we have this right, Love Connection? If the gal decides to bail on her No. 1 pick and go with the audience-approved reject (while pocketing $10K), their next date is an (ahem) overnight one?

16 | Was James Corden’s Carpool Karaoke with Ed Sheeran the best sing-along ride-along since Adele? On the flip side, did the surprisingly off-pitch Emily Blunt ruin your enjoyment of The Late Late Show‘s “Romeo and Juliet” musical?

17 | Orange Is the New Black Episode 1 spoiler alert! In Episode 1, did Daya shooting Humphrey in the leg — which is most likely a not-fatal injury — feel like a major cop-out? And for those of you who haven’t watched ahead, who do you think KO’d Daya at the end of the premiere?

Hit the comments with your answers – and any other Qs you care to share!

1. richard says:

15. Apparently so. But what is to stop the person from going out with the person of their choice after taking the 10K and going on the overnight date with the audience choice? Is there some clause in their contract prohibiting them from doing so for a period of time and if they do, they have to forfeit the money? As far as dating shows go, I found “First Dates” more interesting.

2. Kevin Tran says:

2) in light of the success of the Wonder Woman movie, Jessie Graf will always be the American Ninja Warrior’s version of WW. 12) hope Corey Hawkins should return to TWD in the upcoming 8th season to reprise his role as Heath (hasn’t been killed off yet since his arrival) now that 24: Legacy is cancelled and of course Kiefer Sutherland does have Designated Survivor which is back for a second season. Don’t know how the 24 franchise might continue with an anthology series.

3. Wrstlgirl says:

12. I’d love for Heath to show back up on TWD. As far as 24 goes, I don’t really care if they make anymore seasons. It’s kind of ran it’s course but if they did decide to rescue Jack from the Russian prison I’d watch. I’d love it if the gang got together to go get him out only to find out he wasn’t in prison after all, double cross.

4. Alichat says:

10) Yeah…..very badly I think. Has he been into work since hooking up with this woman? If so, does that mean she’s been hanging out at his house in the sex fort and perhaps rummaging through his things? I have the feeling we are going to find out she’s been Snapchatting about him this whole time and it’s some type of catfishing scenario. Also, regarding Donnie being held hostage, why didn’t Liv get her zombie boyfriend involved or Fillmore Graves? What does it matter if they know about Blaine and Donnie? Why not have their elite fighters going in and getting them out? Cutting the power or the internet feed? Instead they wage a zombie attack that just gives these guys more proof?

• Amy says:

How did I miss that Blaine had been re-zombie-fied?

• ScottJ says:

The show didn’t spell it out until now. We saw Blaine asking one of the zombie henchmen to do something that wasn’t specified, and the next time we saw Blaine there was a very brief glimpse of scratches on his neck.

5. JC1 says:

Who would you kick off the Waverider?
    Nate. No contest.

6. 8) I would kick off Amaya and if necessary Nick, her story arc should have ended with the Legion of Doom. For a bunch of people who are supposed to be protecting time they are very uninterested in the fact that they have a person out of time who by not replacing her could lead to the extinction of an entire family affecting countless people.

7. Luis Roman says:

8. Hate to say it, but I’d bump Nate off the Waverider right now. He adds very little except something to the CGI budget, and his romance with Amaya seemed like a forced add-on, leading viewers only to wonder how it will end, since we know she’s destined to return to her country and continue her family line.

8. Becky says:

I feel like the network didn’t want to reboot King of Queens so they just found a way around it and forced Kevin can wait to become the reboot the all wanted.

9. Steven says:

1. Too dark. I’m thinking divorce.

10. RD says:

14. Considering Juliette’s problems and instability in walking don’t you think that someone would have said that hauling yourself up a big staircase for your grand entrance at your comeback show was perhaps not such a good idea?

11. skrable2 says:

1. Newhartian dream sequence … since it’s not as though the people behind this show are all that original.

11. Depends on the shelf-life of a can of Coke … or the show’s budget.

12. T.W.S.S. says:

8. Rip was my wish last season. Ray and Nate, though enjoyable, can also take a walk.

13. Laura says:

Jesse Graff IS Wonder Woman, but wasn’t it Brian ARNOLD who fell?

14. Daisy says:

7. Absolutely not. May both of these useless men disappear into obscurity forthwith.

15. kirads09 says:

#4 – No, don’t really believe Nora’s story. She looked almost ready to laugh in Kevin’s face for believing it. I am sure there was some “element” of truth to it but – we’ll never know, will we.

#12 – No. 24 excellent show. And we needed Jack Bauer after 9/11. But that incredible show had a fantastic run and is over. I think we need his President Kirkman as a direct contrast to the real life nonsense occupying the White House presently.

16. TvPeong says:

2. Brian’s fall was more shocking… I thought he clinched it for Team USA. That first obstacle took down a lot of good people in the regular season including Geoff Britten, who was the first American Ninja Warrior.
    I’m excited for the new season starting on Monday.

17. Sheila says:

6. Selina surprised me. I felt like her mom when I yelled, “Put a shirt on!”
    10. Totally. She seems like a jailhouse groupie or a serial killer penpal chick. She did not sing the camp song along with Major, so I don’t think she knew it. Facebook stalker???
    And I am not shoked that Boss didn’t know. What shocks me is Blaine’s naïveté in trusting Don E. and Boss as employees.

18. ScottJ says:

8. Legends of Tomorrow doesn’t need to kick anyone off the Waverider. Most episodes in the last series focused on specific characters anyway and the others were just there or off doing something else. Its like the old Legion of Super Heroes approach – the comic had around 30 regular characters at one point but they weren’t all squeezed into every issue.

19. Larc says:

6- Regardless of the shoes, Penguin is one of the best characters on TV. And Robin Lord Taylor does a masterful job with it.

20. Tom says:

~
    I’d like to think not. Why is everyone so morbid?
    ~
    ~
    No I would not, I like Designated Survivor, I don’t care about 24. And sure bring back Heath.

21. Amelia says:

17. They should’ve had her shoot him in the leg but still end up dying. Would’ve seemed like a cop out but then twist, dead.

22. ReneCat says:

As much as I LOVED 24 with Kiefer Sutherland I would not be willing to sacrifice Designated Survivor to get more of it. Not AT ALL surprised that “Legacy” got cancelled …BORING! And I’m glad to see I wasn’t the only one who noticed that Selina seemed to be showing an awful LOT of cleavage in the last couple of episodes of Gotham.

23. Regina says:

10. Part A: Definitely! I think she said in her initial note to him something to the effect of “I too was accused of something I didn’t do” and I’m hoping that statement doesn’t come back to haunt him. Part B: And yes, surprising that Mr. Boss didn’t know but it was fun to see him work it out! Not fun for Blaine, though.

24. RichieS says:

13. Couple other oddities re: the Ray Wise/bowling alley scene…..notice the kitty was named Ray ? Also neat that both Ray Wise and Carrie Coon are from Akron, O.

25. Stacey says:

8: Kick out Nate in a second! I love Mick and Sara, they need to stay.

16: Yes! Ed was amazing, very funny too!

26. 3.) I’m enjoying Kyle MacLachlan’s work as Dirty Cooper and as Dougie … the latter portrayal seeming to almost be saying something about the emergence of the human spirit from the blank slate that arrives in the form of a baby. If this were a normal TV show, I’d see this heading up to a crossroads where Cooper sends BOB back to the Black Lodge and must decide between becoming Agent Cooper again or going back to Vegas to be a family man, but I’m going to be very surprised if it’s that straightforward. (I dunno, though … David Lynch does have a sentimental streak, as seen in THE STRAIGHT STORY.)

6.) Lee’s outfit made a little more sense in the context of the story … as much as anything does on GOTHAM … but Selina’s was befitting the character from the comics. Though it does stand out in stark contrast to Selina in season 1 rebuffing Barbara Kean’s “pep talk” about using her looks to get things. The actress herself recently turned 18, so I wouldn’t be surprised if the show starts playing up the (pun fully intended) sex kitten aspect of Selina Kyle now.

27. lisa says:

4. Yes I believed Nora. This is a wackass show. I never thought Laurie killed herself. I didn’t understand why the recapper of that ep was so convinced.

28. Maxsmom says:

Patrick Fischler is the unparalleled King of TV Ubiquity and even appears in the occasional movie almost always playing the same person, comedy, drama, romance PF is PF and he almost never shreds my nerves

29. patrickmaloney33 says:

8. Nate, Ray and Martin are three characters I would throw off the show.

30. Sheldon Wiebe says:

3. I love Dougie (think Peter Sellers’ Chauncey in Being There)
    6. Lee’s, though Selina’s was almost as…
    8. Rip Hunter
    12. The only 24 I want to see is the one starring Yvonne Strahovski as Kate Morgan

31. Megan Waren says:

1. The show should go the prequel route and refocus the main story to when Kevin was in the force. The family can be kept off camera.

32. Taylor says:

16. nope, Harry Styles was the best CK since Adele. loved Ed though, and his sincerity and awkwardness was so refreshing!

33. Heather says:

Legends of Tomorrow should get rid of Mick. He is absolutely vile, brings nothing to the table, and characters have to be written monstrously OOC in order to explain his being tolerated. That he suffered no real consequences for his betrayals because his victims were made to forget they happened and then the season somehow ended with him being championed as the hero who deserved reward makes the show difficult to stomach at this point.

34. Michael Summerset says:

Penguin’s shoes would likely be corrective ones. He appears to suffer from a problem with his hip but could also have foot problems.

35. 3. Thank you, on Twin Peaks. Yes, I’ve passed the point of Peak Dougie. I was thinking last night they need to move along on that storyline. We’re at episode 5 and Kyle is still doing his Rainman impression?