Amanda Bynes Planning Return to TV — Watch First Interview in Four Years

Amanda Bynes is ready to return to the small screen.

Now three years sober after a very public battle with drugs and alcohol, the actress is sitting down with Hollyscoop to discuss what she’s been up to lately. And fans of her work on the small screen will be very pleased by what she has to say.

“I do miss acting, and I actually have something surprising to tell you: I’m going to start acting again,” Bynes says. “I want to do TV, maybe a few guest spots on some shows that I’m a fan of, and maybe another TV show where I’m the star of it in the future.”

Though she’s also known for her work in film, Bynes boasts an impressive small-screen résume; she got her start on kid-friendly shows like All That and Figure It Out in the mid-90s before nabbing her own self-titled sketch comedy show on Nickelodeon, which ran from 1999 to 2002. She also starred opposite Jennie Garth on The WB’s What I Like About You from 2002 to 2006. Her most recent role was voicing Chris’ girlfriend Anna on a 2008 episode of Family Guy.

(Editor’s note: The part about Bynes’ acting career happens between 2:02 and 2:35. I have no comment about the rest of the interview, which is… uncomfortable, to say the least.)

Hit PLAY on the video above to watch Bynes’ interview, then drop a comment with your thoughts below. Which shows could use a visit from Bynes?

1. Kay says:

I’m rooting for her, but man was that interview awkward and uncomfortable. I found myself cringing through almost all if it.

2. Joel Maurice says:

Whoever that host was was terrible. I thought that Bynes handled herself well and hopefully she can make a comeback.

3. KT says:

Oh boy, I do agree it was an uncomfortable interview. I am glad she is working out and being active that way. I worry for her being back on a show like she’s hoping for. Guest starring might be the way to go, but with her thinking she can be on a show where she is the lead could be very stressful for her and lead her back into bad habits. Plus, you’ve got to really have your act together to truly be a leader on a show if you want to be the “star” on it. I wish her well and I’m glad she’s been getting help.

Also, what is with celebrities wanting to make their own clothing/fashion lines?

4. Ken says:

Not dragging on her, because she is very attractive…but something is off with her face. Did she has some type of plastic surgery? Because it doesn’t look like the same Amanda Bynes from years ago.

• Mailer says:

I agree, something looks off with her face. Nose job maybe?

• Guy says:

I do remember her having these weird cheek piercings a few years back when she was going through her meltdown. Not sure if she’s done anything else.

• maltru says:

They mention in the interview that she had some cheek filler stuff, and I assume she’s had some other fillers. I also think a large part of it was just that this was a weird angle/poor makeup, b/c it doesn’t seem like this is a high budget “talk show”!

5. Ron says:

Cringe factor: 10. That host was the worst. I don’t know why she assumed Amanda knew Demi, Selena, and Miley. They were Disney, Amanda was Nickelodeon. But really, they were different eras. Amanda had already moved on to the WB really before those other 3 even hit Disney. And why would she force a game of “Hot to Not” or whatever on a person like Amanda who has struggled with body issues? Just no to everything about that host.

6. Tilda says:

Well, Jessica Simpson’s interviews were extremely awkward. Amanda Bynes seemed honest in this interview, but I wish she would be consistent or more appropriate in future interviews.
    The interviewer seemed nice, but some questions were tacky.

It’s a start for her and hope, we’ll see a newly, responsible Amanda Bynes.

7. Phil says:

Really encouraging to see Amanda looking healthy and together! Miss her talents.

8. datdudemurphy says:

I have no idea who this person doing the interview is….but good for Amanda Bynes.

if she can endure this “interview” she can manage a comeback.

9. Rachel says:

Ok so I couldn’t watch the interview after all of the comments but I do wish her the best. I loved “what I like about you” and hope she has great success with her comeback.

10. Tom says:

I would love for her to do a guest appearance on Mom. I think she would be great as Jill’s cousin or niece. Maybe even a small arc.

11. Joey Padron says:

Happy Amanda is planning her return to TV! I’ve missed seeing her act on TV and movies. Glad she’s doing well in her life. I’m all in for her comeback.

12. LibraDino says:

So happy for her. She seems like she is happy and in control of her life. Glad she has 3 years of sobriety as well. Here’s hoping she can gain her life as an actress back successfully. The interviewer is lacking experience, take that into consideration and it sounds like a normal conversation between two young women. I did’t feel awkward at all. Just happy it was short, but long enough to see Amanda doing well and looking good.

13. Derek says:

Really, interviewer? Your follow-up to “I was on drugs” is “but isn’t Drake hot, tough”? And “Hot or Not” and “what do you think of other child stars that were on a different channel altogether a decade later than you” are the best you can come up with for a comeback interview? Bynes looked great and healthy, at least, and handled herself pretty well.

14. GraceM says:

Except for her voice she doesn’t look like the Amanda Bynes I knew.

Not to mention she seems quieter too.

15. Sue says:

Horrible amateur host! It was great seeing Amanda Bynes again. She sure didn’t smile much; prob bc of the crappy interviewer & questions. Well, you’ve gotta start somewhere. Good luck, Amanda!

16. Vas says:

I’m afraid that knowing her history people will think twice before casting her.

17. flutiefan says:

I’m slightly biased but I thought Amanda looked and sounded fabulous.

18. Pete Wilson says:

Wishing she would pick up some Hallmark or Hallmark Mystery movies.