The Originals Spoilers

The Originals' Nathaniel Buzolic Hints at Kol's Softer Side: 'People Might Change Their Minds About Him'

Friday’s episode of The Originals (The CW, 8/7c) once again finds Kol Mikaelson at odds with his siblings, but this time around, it’s for a very good reason. I swear!

As you’ll recall from last week’s final twist, The Hollow has linked herself to Davina, meaning that if Kol doesn’t agree to obey her every wicked whim, it’s curtains for his girlfriend. TVLine spoke with Nathaniel Buzolic about his character’s latest challenge, his thoughts on “Kolvina,” and why he might not be the bad guy everyone assumes he is:

TVLINE | You’ve been playing this character on and off since 2012. When they tell you they want you for another episode or two, does it take a minute to get back into Kol mode, or is it like flipping a light switch back on?
It definitely takes a minute sometimes. When I get the call about them wanting me back for however many episodes, my first thought is that I need to work on my accent again, because it is slightly different from my Australian accent. And I’ll speak in that accent for usually about 48 hours to get back in the swing of it. So that’s my first alarming thought. But I’m also always just excited. I’ve had such an amazing journey on this show. … I just got back from Europe, where we’ve kind of made a whole new audience. A lot of the girls who watched The Vampire Diaries have grown up, so we’ve got this new teenage audience that’s just discovering the show [on Netflix]. It’s actually kind of bizarre having these young girls telling you they love your show, and you’re like, “The show started when you were eight.”

TVLINE | And I know Kol is usually on his family’s bad side, but what can you say about this particular clash?
You know what? If you love the divide between Kol and his siblings, you’ll probably love this episode. It’s an awesome episode where Kol finally gets to reconnect with Davina on some level, and when you see everything he’s willing to do for her, it goes to show how much he loves her. He’s also sort of returning a favor; she brought him back, so now he feels like it’s on him to help her and solve this huge dilemma in light of The Hollow being in New Orleans. There’s also a conflict of interest that comes up in the episode that I think the audience will enjoy.

TVLINE | It’s funny how casually you mention bringing each other back to life. I recently talked to Daniel Gillies about how many times you’ve all died on the show. When you died the first time, did you think, “Well, that’s it for Kol”?
[Laughs] Are we talking Vampire Diaries?

TVLINE | Why not? Let’s go all the way back.
I mean, it’s crazy. What’s amazing is how passionate the fans have been about this character. I’m always blown away by people who so love this character and always want him to stay connected to the show. I love that I get to keep coming back, and it’s always fun to die and be resurrected so the fans can have something to be excited about.

TVLINE | But as Gillies warns, you never want to die the same way twice.
[Laughs] Totally! When you die, then die again, you want the second death to be much more dramatic. Gosh, what will happen next? Will I die again? I think that’s what everybody’s asking.

TVLINE | You mean how many times he’ll die.
Right. How many times can you kill a Kol before a Kol can’t come back?

TVLINE | Kol has developed a bit of a bad reputation, and rightfully so, but he seems like a different person around Davina. What is it about their relationship that brings out this other side?
I think it’s just the overpowering message of love being able to change anyone or anything. If you look at our world, love is always what brings out the best in people. And when you see that in these characters — when they make a choice for love and not for themselves — the best of them comes out. It comes down to that age-old idea that love is the most important thing. That’s definitely what’s changed Kol, especially when you look at his history on The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. There was never any love there, so as soon as it’s introduced, it’s a complete swing. Now the question is: What will he do for love?

TVLINE | When you think about the way the Mikaelsons were raised, it’s a wonder any of them can love.
That’s also what’s kind of beautiful. You look at these characters who have been around for 1,000 years, and Kol has never felt this way with anyone before. Then you find that one person, that soulmate that just changes everything about you, and you think, “Wow, maybe love is real. And maybe it doesn’t come around as much as we think it will.” Even for vampires, sometimes it just comes along once in an eternity.

TVLINE | And that’s what he has with Davina?
Yes, and there’s so much more that’s going to happen to him in this episode that will make people go, “Wow, that’s crazy.” It’s a fun episode, I really enjoyed shooting it. There are some really nice moments that I think the fans will enjoy. There’s even a nice little scene where you get to see Kol and Hope one-on-one for the first time. You get to see yet another side of Kol — Uncle Kol.

TVLINE | I’m kind of surprised Hayley lets Kol be alone with Hope. He seems like the one uncle you wouldn’t let babysit your child.
[Laughs] Right? Like, she’d say, “You’re going to drop her or leave her in a boiling bathtub. You’re not responsible with your own life, so how could you be responsible with a younger child?” But I think people might change their minds after they see that scene.

Your thoughts on all things Kol Mikaelson? Drop ’em in a comment below.

1. Goldenvibefan says:

Very excited that there’s some more Kolvina esque moments. Always have loved those two together. Kol definitely needs that love. By far is the best Original, at least in my opinion.

2. Dominique says:

i’m that person who was always rooting for kol and finn, no matter what. so to have kol back again, and hopefully still alive after tomorrow’s episode, is just fantastic. i love nate’s take on the show, the character and kolvina. i do think the way people have fought for kol, so to speak, is the reason he’s alive again. a lot of fans just really love his character, thankfully.
    i’m also SO excited for kolvina tomorrow. their love was such a beautiful one and i’m glad it’s not over. hopefully they’ll find a way to unlink davina and the hollow and let kol and davina just be happy. i’ll be so bitter if they kill off davina (or kol!) again.
    now that season 5 is a go, btw, they should really make nate a series regular. kol is a wonderful character who always stirs things up a bit. i was disappointed they didn’t make him a regular this season.

3. Gilded Lady says:

Davina is already dead. Risking you, your family and pretty much all of NOLA for a dead girlfriend doesn’t exactly make a ton of sense, but then the show thought Hayley knows Elijah better than Klaus does so logic isn’t always its strong suit.

• Riana says:

They’ll probably find a way to bring her back if needed. Something like the hollow brought her back or something. If Danielle wants to return, they’ll make it happen

• Gilded Lady says:

Assuming there is money in the budget for it. Supposedly, killing off both Cami and Davina were a part of cost cutting moves, believable given the show’s low ratings.

• Riana says:

I can’t speak for Camille, but supposedly Davina was killed off because Danielle was cast in a pilot for a show called sins that wasn’t picked up. Now she’s free to come back.

• Gilded Lady says:

Interesting! I hope they don’t though. Her character was so one-note.

• Esther A says:

Her character is selfish , self-centered and whiny but sometimes I like her only when she sides with the originals. It’s cool if she returns. But not Cami. I was watching s03 last night and she really made a mess of things. I don’t like how Klaus is around her so I don’t her want anywhere near this show.

• Ben says:

This season writting haves been really flat (ala TVD instead of the TO last season writting). So i don’t think we should expect consistency/logic in the plots neither that the Hollow end up been a smart/good villain.

• luvprue1 says:

Exactly! Even Jeremy Gilbert wouldn’t do nothing that stupid. But I guess it fit with Kol persona. He’s has a little bit of his sibling personsilty .
      He thinks like Elijah
      He knows magic like Freya
      He’s a hot head like Klaus
      And he’s love bitch like Rebecca.

• luvprue1 says:

I agree. I find Davina annoying , and the character have absolutely no character growth. If she was to return what would her storyline be ? Going after The Originals, trying to kill Klaus, or worrying that the other witches doesn’t like her? And although I wanted Kol on the show so we can learn more about him, and how he relates to his siblings (I want to see Kol bond with Elijah) . However that no going to happen, so I wouldn’t mind him dying along with Davina.

• Gilded Lady says:

You pretty much nailed her character on the head. In these shortened seasons already screwed up by lack of time to properly develop characters (they screwed up Sofya so bad) the last thing needed is another storyline to eat up what limited time they have.

• luvprue1 says:

I agree, Davina is already dead it make no sense to risk everyone’s life on the possibility that the hollow will keep her word. The hollow crave power. So even if Kol does everything that the hollow wants him to do there still a chance that the hollow will kill her for her powers.

LOL! 😂 I laughed when Hayley said she know Elijah better then anyone. I admit that Hayley was a better choice then Freya since Greta has been in his life as long as Hayley. But I really felt that they should have had Klaus go in and get Elijah.

• Esther A says:

Lol I also laughed when Hayleysaid that. Klaus should have been a better choice to go into Elijah’s​ mind. He knows him better than anyone.

4. Kristina says:

Kol has always been my favorite; he’s just so fun and you never know what he’ll do! Love anytime we get to see him come back :)

5. Guest says:

I like Kolvina but, they are making Kol’s entire characterization revolve around this relationship and Davina’s entire purpose was bringing him back. I guess they can’t really be together unless each has brought the other one back from death. I really hope Kol isn’t really siding with the Hollow and tricks her somehow because it would be pretty screwed up to help the Hollow and I can’t see Davina being that selfish. She seems to understand how dangerous the Hollow is and she’s never asked him to side against his family. Let’s hope we get Davina and back and Kol move on to doing something other than obsessing about Davina and being miserable. We need to the Kol back and hopefully we’ll have at least one person that uses logic and tells Hayley to shut her pie-hole. That girl just Elijah to his death and they are still acting like Hayley is some 5 star girlfriend and mom – when she cared nothing for Klaus dying.

• Esther A says:

Hmm I said that too, Hayley pushed Elijah to his death just like s03 she’s been the one coming between Klaus and Elijah and Rebekah was the only one had the guts to tell her. I’m over that Hayley character really. About kol, Davina has been a huge part of his character development. Weither we like it or not, she is tagged to him. Kol has no loyalty to his family That​ much we’ve seen over the years with his character. He loves Davina and is loyal to her so he might do anything to save her.but I hope he doesn’t mess things up.

6. Esther A says:

Well I most certainly want to see uncle kol. Looking forward to this episode.

• luvprue1 says:

I get the feeling that Kol is not going to be happy with drawing unicorns and rainbows. I think the hollow wants Kol to get Hope, or Hope’s powers. Why else would someone like Kol be on babysitter duty?

• Esther A says:

right that’s a point , I guess I’ve always been curious about seeing kol interact with Hope. Klaus already told some things about him.

7. gift says:

Wow kol, you have no idea how I waited for the camera to be focused on you. Can wait to see what u bring. Anyways, you are one of my favorite in the Mikaelsons family.

8. Rose says:

I love all Michaelsons!! This show is called The Originals so the more of them are around the better it gets! I hope Kol gets to stay on for the remaining episodes and next season too! Rebekah too!

9. zed says:

It is Nate Buzolic’s charm that won us over back then in 2012 and we just love him. He has got that cheeky something and him constantly being unpredictible and giving his siblings headaches is actually fun. Underneath it all he actually has some kind of sweet vulnerability and Kolvina brought that to life. I love the fact that he keeps his brother’s on their toes. I wish to see him as a regular next season. Nate and his character so deserve it. This show is about the Original family, so I would like to see him and Rebekah back next season and stories involving them and they could easily write a substory for them They should take Hayley out of the spotlight. Th

10. Hayley all the way says:

The last question killed.
    ”I’m kind of surprised Hayley lets Kol be alone with Hope. He seems like the one uncle you wouldn’t let babysit your child”
    For a woman who barely takes care of he own child, leaving her with the first person she finds, to get in some risky action, what’s the issue?
    She’ll never win a Mother of The Year award.

• gift says:

Hahaha my thoughts exactly. Klaus has done even more better than her as Hope’s father.

• Esther A says:

To be fair, she’s​ been trying to keep the originals save and also find a way to bring them back to life. It’s just all the crap the put on her shoulders​! I want the spot light removed​ from because it even seems like she is getting move spot light than Klaus.

11. Jane says:

I like Kolvina, I just wonder if the writers so desperately need to pair every Mikaelson why they never came up with some kinda Joker/Harley relationship for at least one of the Originals? This sort of sick love would allow the Originals stay bad guys without having every single one of them to cry over teen or 20-something girls. Instead we are getting some variations of Delena

12. Lin says:

I really liked when Daniel Sharman played Kol.

13. Erick Voshel says:

Kol is my favorite character. Hope he comes back next season.