24 Legacy Return

24: Legacy Cancelled at Fox, as Next Incarnation of 24 Franchise Is Explored

The clock has run out on Fox’s 24 reboot — but not the franchise itself.

RELATED 2017 Renewal Scorecard: What’s Coming Back? What’s Getting Cancelled? What’s on the Bubble?

The network has officially cancelled 24: Legacy after one low-rated season, TVLine has confirmed. Yet given the keystone franchise’s importance to Fox, discussions are underway with producers Howard Gordon and Brian Grazer to develop a new incarnation that is more anthological, while still built around the real-time storytelling device. No Legacy cast members would be involved.

Following a strong post-Super Bowl-fueled premiere that drew 17.5 million viewers, Legacy — which tasked The Walking Dead‘s Corey Hawkins with stepping into Kiefer Sutherland’s sizable shoes — quickly lost steam and ended its rookie run in April with 3.4 million and a series-low 0.8 demo rating.

Although set in the same universe as the original 24, the reboot set out to distinguish itself from its predecessor, with exec producers Manny Coto and Evan Katz enlisting only one high-profile franchise vet — Carlos Bernard’s Tony Almeida — for Legacy duty.

With Kiefer Sutherland still playing POTUS on ABC’s freshman hit Designated Survivor, how do you think 24 could best be continued? What lessons are to be learned from Legacy?

1. Josh Paredes says:

The lesson is simple: No Jack, no 24.

• Bill says:

Absolutely!! Nothing more can be said. It is a self-evident truth.

• Nancy says:

Couldn’t have said it better…..

• Maria says:

Hopefully the executives at Fox will get that concept before they waste their time on another reboot.
      Then again this is a network that seems to enjoy cancelling shows, so…

• Kevin Tran says:

Found out that in light of the cancellation, Corey Hawkins should return to The Walking Dead for the upcoming 8th season to reprise his role as Heath and he hasn’t been killed off since the character’s arrival.

• Mike says:

Give us Jack or stay the frack back :D

• Melissa McDaniel says:

Agree! Jack made 24 what it is. When I think of 24 I think of Jack, Chloe and the normal cast.

• Theresa Barks says:

I liked the show. I think it should go another season. There is only one Jack but maybe if Jack would pop in some shows example to help in a plot but then leave again it might help. I thought everyone did a great job so sad it’s not coming back. I’m a Very big fan. Jack was my man but still the new team was great. Only 1 Jack.

• Elaine Collis says:

Exactly. I’m a fan no matter what. Remember, 24 Season 9 (after a 2-year break) had Jack and didn’t do so well in ratings. In fact, I think it was cancelled.

• perspectivetroy says:

That’s exactly right. They can keep beating their heads against the wall but without Jack, 24 ain’t 24.

2. OMG, are you serious??!!! I LOVED that show, and invested a lot of time watching it, and now this???? And yet, more remakes of old classics game shows and reality shows keep popping up, and THOSE are going to have “lasting power” for the network? Ridiculous…

• Dysturbed says:

The game shows and reality shows are often cheaper to produce compared to other kinds of shows.

• Brian says:

Fox has 1 whole hour (Hell’s Kitchen) on their entire fall schedule.

• Carol Brewer says:

I totally agree…I loved the new ’24’ too & waiting for it to be released on DVD I hope. Loved the original ’24’..Kiefer can’t be beat & was heart broken when he left the show, but this new one this year I also liked very much in it’s own right. Sorry to see it won’t be back!!!!! I also love “Designated Survivor’ a lot.

• Carolym says:

I agree it was a good show much better than a lot of the dumb shows Fox puts on

3. Susie says:

Poor storytelling with all the cliches of “24” but none of the brilliance was to blame, compounded by Hawkins’ miscasting in a lead role that was outshone by almost the entire supporting cast. I jumped ship before the halfway point.

4. drb999 says:

24 has really played out the terrorism angle. Maybe it’s time for some thing new. Something set during a natural disaster or police case not involving terrorists. Maybe a bank robbery gone real bad.

• Benjamin says:

Wow this is actually incredible advice!

• Anne says:

Oh that’s a fantastic idea!

• Nancy says:

Seriously???? If you want cops and robbers there are plenty of those shows on…And a natural disaster…turn on the weather channel…

24…. like it or don’t…it is what it is….Jack fighting people who want to hurt our country…

• Apres says:

Jsck is still doing the same job as the Designated Survivor on ABC as the president.

• Rose says:

I am with.you there, Jack shows courage no one can fill those shoes. In 24 legacy i think ingram and tony nailed it, they.were better than the lead actor.

5. Angelfan says:

What did we learn from Legacy? Chloe, Chloe, Chloe.

6. Donna Salvi says:

not surprised or disappointed

7. Gina says:

I guess Heath will be back in Alexandria next season.

8. Shaun says:

Should have moved ahead with Yvonne Strahovskis character,she was pretty cool.Now she killing it on Handmaids Tale.

• Sheldon Wiebe says:

THIS!

• DL says:

Agree. It would have provided some real continuity between Jack’s story and the new iteration, too.

• Knights who say Ni says:

Thank you Shaun! I loved the original 24 and was sad to see Kiefer not want to continue, but was excited for Yvonne to play a Kate Morgan led series of 24. I would have watched the crap out of that!

I tried for one episode with this version, but it was a very underwhelming and just plain not good.

• Apres says:

It could happen now that Wonder Woman is a massive hit garnering over $200 million & could hit the billion dollar mark. A sequel is already in the works.

• Troy says:

You are so right !!!

• Tasha says:

I would really like to watch Handmaids Tale but don’t want to pay yet another company to stream shows. Ugh lol

9. kmw says:

The lesson that should be learned and apparently still isn’t( unless DS gets cancelled and somehow KS would come back)is that a show with the kind of history and leading man SHOULD not be re booted or go on without said leading man. If FOX isn’t or wasn’t willing to do so with The X- Files and Bones( which FOX execs said they wouldn’t) why should 24 be the exception. Kiefer Sutherland is Jack Bauer and HE is 24. Enough said. Not surprised in the least by this since it really ranked after the Super Bowl

10. Haz says:

Why not just call it a day and leave it alone? The Legacy cancellation is honestly embarrassing for Fox. They launched this show after the Super Bowl for crying out loud. I hope they just let it be.

11. arlene says:

Isn’t Legacy’s star currently on Broadway? I liked him. Wish he could somehow stay. Jack is not necessary. Jack meanders now…Sutherland is perfect in Designated Survivor.

The really courageous thing Gordon and Grazer could do is help UNDERGROUND find a new home, ASAP.

12. Guy says:

I have to imagine it’s quite uncommon for a show to be canceled the same year it’s given the coveted post-Super Bowl slot. Has this ever happened before? This seems pretty embarrassing for Fox and the producers of the show.

13. Chiefslapaho... says:

Bring Prison Break back…

14. Marie58 says:

The ONLY 24 I am interested in seeing would involved Kiefer Sutherland. Kate and Chloe would be teamed up running rogue operations, with Tony’s help they rescue Jack from the Russian gulag. If we can’t have that, then what’s the point? Because where things stand now, Jack is rotting in prison, and that’s an unacceptable end to Jack Bauer. I’m not saying he should have a “happy ending” but 24 fans deserved better, and so did Jack.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

Surprised they didn’t try a Tony-led version; after all, people would be truly skeptical of him. He’d have a lot of favor to curry.

• Marie58 says:

That would have been great, actually. Tony’s a badass, and definitely not to be trusted. But he was the most interesting character in “Legacy” and how great would it be to see where he’s take things? I vote yes.

• Hank says:

That should have been the route they went. Not tacking Tony on to the story where he did about as much as a mannequin at Macy’s.

15. Apres says:

They should wait for Keifer . . . period! Even if they get other actors, Chloe et al, it still won’t be 24 without Jack. Just wait until Keifer is ready to come back and be Jack. Only then will 24 have a REAL RESURRECTION.

16. Darshan says:

Bringing jack back

17. Kevin Tran says:

24: Legacy deserves to get cancelled but who knows what the future holds for the 24 franchise.

18. Doris says:

24 without Jack and Chloe was doomed from the start. In my opinion Fox has the worst programs on TV. 90% of what I watch is on CBS

19. Alvin Green says:

Keifer was given 48 episodes to establish himself as Jack Bauer.

Corey didn’t have a chance…

• JMill says:

I really think Corey had more than enough potential, they just failed to tap it — scratch the surface even — with the character of Eric Carter and the way he was written.

Jack was an unstoppable force, with an edge of swagger and almost constantly riding the edge of out of control.

Eric Carter was reactive and got from point A to point B, but in a way that was a slow burn that never really ignited.

Carter didn’t need to be a clone of Jack Bauer, but he did need him as his spirit animal.

20. Adele Tyrrell says:

That is disappointing I enjoyed 24.

21. william says:

They should stop rebooting shows period. They got cancelled for a reason.

22. Anne says:

Well we all wanted Yvonne to be the next 24 lead but oooohhh no, fox didn’t want a lady to lead it. :/. She was the natural one to take it on past Keifer.

23. Booderness says:

Don’t bother unless you are going to torture some terrorists. We need an hour of Bauer

24. Gator5000e says:

It was ok. I liked Cory but it just followed the old 24 playbook and wasn’t very different. It did what 24 did best, ratchet up the tension. But the plot arcs have been seen before. The mole inside CTU, the totally unnecessary side story of a family member getting into trouble with outside forces, the Muslim bad guys, the lead disobeying orders and saving the day, the terrorist plot getting resolved before the season ends and trying to come up with some government conspiracy theory, etc. and they needed to give Tony a more substantial role as the rock that bound Legacy to the original 24. They need to try to come up with something completely different. Easier said than done, I realize.

25. Derek says:

Corey Hawkins had no way to follow up Kiefer Sutherland. Are you serious? They should have gotten a name star for this, with a lot more gravitas.

26. dan says:

They need to do a season with Yvonne Strahovski as the lead. I would watch every minute of that.

27. M says:

That “replacement” that you guys used for Jack wasn’t working for me either.
    #castingcall

28. The problem with or great thing about 24, depending on how much you loved it, was, is and always will be that 24 and any configuration of that franchise was, is and always well be JACK BAUER, first, last and none other. I personally liked this show immensely; however, it was not 24 nor shall any other permutation of the franchise ever be 24 without the inimitable original lead character. He was simply so engrained in the consciousness (in a very good way) of the 24 viewer that it would take a rebirth with that character (and, probably, Kiefer Sutherland AS that character) that the franchise and any format of the franchise must include Jack Bauer and probably Sutherland in order to be successful and I’m not so certain that the viewing public is not entitled to that, as vividly as the format with Bauer/Sutherland was branded (pun intended) on their collective mindset. Some franchises are just THAT great!

29. When Ray Donovan and Billions come to an end, I would like to see a new 24 season with Liev Schreiber in the leading role (a new character obviously) and Damian Lewis as the main villain!!!

30. It’s a shame it didn’t work out. I enjoyed it a lot — especially getting a kick out of the “street gang to the rescue” bit at the midpoint. That was bonkers, unexpected, and something that never would have happened with another season of Jack Bauer.

Picking up Yvonne Strahovski or doing a Tony Almeda-led season would have been an interesting route to travel, but I doubt we see her again … or see him in the lead, since he “wasn’t enough to make it a hit” this time around (an unfair accusation, but one I could see being leveled if it were suggested now).

To me, the audacious thing to do … if Kiefer Sutherland can’t or won’t come back … would be to go big on the gamble and try to get Riz Ahmed or Oded Fehr for a 12-episode season as the lead agent and maybe, as with “Designated Survivor,” look a little closer to home for the culprit, at some domestic terror cell.

Or, alternately, if they really wanted to stress the “anthological” thing … sign up Jon Hamm for a 12-episode run. He’s got to want to do something besides H&R Block commercials and guest appearances on “The Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” :)

Or let’s go with a female lead … wouldn’t we all want to see Chloe have a stare-down with Vera Farmiga or Halle Barry or (again, swinging for the fences) Meryl Streep as a slightly more MI-5-ish depiction of an intelligence person?

31. Lewis says:

Why? For the love of God please just leave the classic 24 alone.

32. Jerry says:

I really enjoyed 24legacy,why such a disappointing end.

33. Phillip steele says:

Always maintained that it would only be credible if Jack Bauer was at least mentioned, preferably guest appearances, just to smooth the transition for viewers. Should still have had and phased out some original cast members. Strange no reference to any on legacy.

34. luke says:

How about 24: 24 Days The Rescue – True story of the Jack Bauer rescue which takes place over 24 days instead of hours. This is where Kim Bauer under Mike Novick supervision leads a team of special forces to rescue Jack. Ohh boy So much stuff happens but mainly Jack is rescued and he is pissed because we discover he is actually undercover and months of undercover work is ruined so Jack all pissed off retires in New Orleans where he discovers Michelle is alive and along with Aaron Pierce is in pursuit of Charles Logan who through his stupidity is still causing all kinds of issues for the government. While all this is happening Jack can’t believe Kim is special forces now and is conflicted about the whole thing but realises mid way through there are more pressing matters at hand. There’s a bunch of secondary characters such as I don’t know a Turkish street trader who lives in New Orleans now and has a history with Jack and helps him when Jack is pinched down during a bank heist which turns out to be a diversion and again a bunch of stuff happens but basically Jack learns something he wasn’t supposed to know which propels him forward… anyway hollywood email me if you have any further questions and would like me to finish this off for you…

• Cat says:

Now, that’s a show I would want to see! Hope the “powers that be” at Fox are reading your comments.

35. Lucille de la Chevrotiere says:

I really enjoyed watching 24 Legacy. Sorry to see it got cancelled.

36. Paul says:

i miss 24 Legacy already i have watched the Jack Bauer which was good i remember forgetting to pick my cousin at school back then in Zimbabwe as i sat glued to the tv but i also give my all behind the Carter 24 it was and is exceptionally good it gave me something to look for on a sunday here in Australia watching it on win tv Carter,Rebecca were all good i dont understand where the low rating is coming from.
    The only thing is it was airing way too late but i dont see anything wrong in the cast or story line keep it up 24 and bring Eric back he is fast alert like all main actors who have a former navy seal appeal

37. Sorry – No Jack = No 24.

You can’t separate them out. Many networks have tried with such shows. TNT learned that DALLAS could not survive without J.R. Ewing (Larry Hagman).

And just this past TV season – No Bill Paxton = No Training Day.

38. spdavid says:

I want Kiefer as President to star in 24 as a Designated Survivor/24 mash up.We discover that President Kirkman is really Jack Bauer in a deep cover long term undercover operation but it’s only when he buries an axe into some random guy’s chest that we know for sure.

39. Without Jack Bauer, this show was doomed to failure. Never has a reboot been so awful. We couldn’t figure out what was going on because the actors in it were so blah. The main character had absolutely no credibility as a replacement for Jack Bauer. I would rather see a 24 2 hour movie WITH Keifer Sutherland every 18 months or so than this stupid waste of time.

40. KLS says:

If their ever was a show that should be binged it’s 24, which is totally against any in-season ratings statistic. It depends on the watch on demand, DVR, streaming public to keep people engaged. The industry hasn’t figured out how to count these viewers accurately, so any show with a “real-time story telling device” is sure to fail by today’s metrics.
    I started watching it, but missed a few episodes, never went back to catch up, then threw in the towel (too far behind). Why did I miss it? The time-slot was bad and I kept forgetting it was on, for starters.
    I do agree with some that having a female lead would have been interesting.

41. Mary L Beshere says:

There is no 24 without Jack Bauer.

42. Alex says:

24 should be a follow up of the “world” after Jack had been (again….) taken away. With Ivonne Strahovsky, Chole sometimes around, and Jack being named here and there, like if somebody cares.
    I don’t understand why he should be erased at all of the show. I think most of 24 fans want to know what happened with him, if somebody is looking for him, they can do a show with a main story about terrorism and also a search for Jack.
    We don’t forget Jack. Never.
    And please somebody kill President Kirk and his bland smile, annoying wife and incompetent staff with also those bland smiles, like a Hallmark show… Not to mention the Terminator-style Agent (why, why the bad guys just kidnapped her?? why they didnt’ kill her??) That show went down so badly.

• SportyGal84 says:

I wanted Alex Kirkman to get hit by that bullet so badly, lol. She’s useless. I might be wrong, but I can’t see DS lasting past season 2. I tried to stick with it, but gave up towards the end of the season. May go back and finish watching, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

43. Billy Bob Johnson says:

Sorry, Mr. Grazier, but without Jack Bauer, the ’24’ franchise is dead. Don’t even bother trying with yet another unknown.

44. geegee says:

Easy> crossover/mix 24 and Designated into weekly 2 hours of insanity.

(yes, I know they’re on different networks)

45. Chris says:

Yvonne Strahovski!!! But, unfortunately, I think that ship has already sailed.

46. Hyacinth Campbell says:

24 legacy received low ratings because early time slot on Monday period.

47. Walkie says:

LET IT DIE.

Maybe try to come up with a new idea.

48. Guy kone says:

Bring back Jack Bauer

49. Ruben says:

Bring Tony Almeida to star and the show will be back on track.

50. Arnold says:

The show was great, they didn’t have to cancel it

• Rose says:

Lesson learnt an elder is an elder, there is no replacement. No jack bauer no cloe no tony no 24, and were these guys doing to Tony comeon.