Pretty Little Liars Recap

Pretty Little Liars Recap: Who Got Engaged? And What's Up With Mona?

As promised, two of Rosewood’s finest got engaged on Tuesday’s Pretty Little Liars — and it was exactly who you thought it would be.

No, really, a whopping 69.7 percent of TVLine readers correctly predicted that Caleb would be popping the question to Hanna this week. That said, it didn’t take Mrs. Grunwald’s vague psychic abilities to see that one coming, especially with Ashley Marin back in town and interrogating the couple, Marco-style.

“I can’t imagine my life without Hanna, and I don’t want to,” Caleb told her. “I want to marry your daughter, Mrs. Marin. No bells and whistles, just the two of us exchanging vows to finally make us official.”

I also appreciated Hanna and Caleb’s little ring-exchanging ceremony in the tent. Not that I consider myself an expert on teenagers’ sex lives — I wouldn’t want to steal Ezra’s statutory thunder — but I totally got flashbacks to when “Haleb” boned in the woods all those years ago. You never forget your first time… or in this case, someone else’s first time.

But while Hanna and Caleb were busy planning their future, Spencer was learning a whole mess of secrets about her past. For starters, her father had a lot more to do with Mrs. D’s death than he let on, per a story relayed by Mary Drake during another uncomfortable mother-daughter ambush. (Seriously, that woman could teach a master class on hiding in the backseats of people’s cars.)

Speaking of shady brunettes, Emily and Mona posed as a couple in order to meet the doctor responsible for impregnating Alison. Between that little charade and Mona’s Elvis-inspired musical number, I feel like Ms. Vanderwaal was working overtime this week. And what was up with her apartment at the end of the episode? Are we supposed to think she made the game now? My head hurts.

Additional thoughts…

* Given the typical pace of this show, not to mention all the Nicole drama he’s been through lately, it was strange watching Ezra stress out over something as basic as a wedding. Strange, yet refreshing.

* I was hoping we’d see Gregg Sulkin again before the series wraps later this month, but I’ll settle for a few scattered mentions of Wes.

* Every time Marco enters the frame, I feel like he’s about to have sex with whoever else is in the room. Like, how did he not hop in the shower with Caleb and Hanna during that early morning house call?

* I felt like Janel Parrish was playing two different Monas this week. (Could she have a twin? Does everybody?)

Your thoughts on this week’s episode? Any new theories about Mona? And which couple do you think is getting married next week? Whatever’s on your mind, drop it in a comment below.

1. Ben says:

This show keeps getting worse and worse every week. It should have ended after A was revealed, with just one nice flash forward episode. Hanna and Caleb have been wrong for each other ever since high school ended. Ezra and Aria should have never been together, romanticising student teacher relationships is gross. Emily and Alison aren’t a right match either. Alison is toxic. Emily deserves better. Spencer and Tony would have been the only couple that isn’t filled with toxic BS, but Marlene loves bringing characters in just to kill them off for drama, and also loves incest. This show is a mess. But I cannot escape.

• Anne says:

That is the best response.

• Naw says:

Amen. And I for Halev even more ridiculise since the Spaleb romance when he cries after Spencer begging her to met him in and telling her he gave up a job for her (Never did that for Hanna. I don’t like them mostly since he left her for a ghost haha)
      For Emison, how we can forget how Alison treated Emily, how awful she was with her friends and her mom. And dont tell me it’s her past…btw sur was more interesting when she was a bitch

The only couple I still like is Spoby but they waste a lot of time with them. And suddendly they’ll be endgame

• TVaholic says:

It’s merde i tell you, merde!

• Nikki says:

Nailed it.

• Jec says:

Absolutely agreed. Spencer and Toby are the ONLY good couple on the show. The only one that makes sense and the only ones who should end up together. Others are just far too toxic and not even in a entertaining way. In a boring way. Which is far worse.

• Clare says:

I think caleb and Hanna are the only good couple on pll

• I agree, I love ❤️ Hanna and Caleb together, sure she didn’t want to give up her career, but if anyone remembers at the end, she did go and chase him, but he was gone it was to late!! That was a rainy night and as usual they always wear high heals and one of her heals broke and then she started running bare foot to try and catch him… I also love ❤️ Colby and Spencer.
        If Aria and Ezra would of met now, maybe the relationship would be okay with me, but given the fact that they slept with each other, while she was in high school , it kinda of makes my skin crawl, because I think what I would feel like if it was my 12 year old daughter or 14 year old son when they get into high school and how I would feel ?!?!?

I’m a high school teacher and just the thought makes my skin crawl… these kids are babies, and immature… I was assaulted by one of them and am suffering everyday, with TBD, and numbness of my whole righside of body, but maybe that just is my own opinion.

• Riley says:

Shippers destroy every single show the second that the writers start paying attention to them.

2. Cornelius says:

With each passing episode I just know I’m going to be so disappointed with the outcome and all the reveals. It’s beyond saving at this point & should have ended years ago.

3. lauri5567 says:

Mona having the twin – I hadn’t thought of that. It would be kinda awesome though.
    The episode was okay. I knew it would be Hanna getting engaged and everything was pretty predictable. I assume the last episode will be AD explaining for 110 minutes and then 10 minutes with a quadruple wedding.

4. Gigi says:

The only couple I ever cared about watching has always been Spencer and Tony the other couples are ok but nothing compare to Tony and Spencer. I do not understand why the writers mess them up. They put everyone back together but Toby and spencer. I can not wait to they reveal who is A it is so overdue.

5. Gigi says:

I mean Toby not Tony sorry

6. Jessica says:

What the heck are we supposed to believe Mona is A.D I’m confused I hope Aria and Ezra are the couple getting married next week and they save Haleb for the finale and looks like Spencer and Hannah find out about Aria helping A.D she was just trying to protect Ezra hope they don’t turn on her too bad cause that’s exactly what A.D wants why else would A.D use Aria if not to separate the group

7. Samantha says:

Andy,

I had chance to ask Gregg himself… he wanted to come back and was asked too actually but was not able to work it out. :(

8. Emily says:

I think Mona is just really obsessed with finding out who AD is (and winning the game).

9. Michael says:

I wish Marco had sex in every scene

10. TJ says:

I miss Toby and am disappointed with his storyline. I expected more from the final half of the season.

Is Mona AD? Is Paige?

11. Red Snapper says:

So this document that could send Ezra to jail seems to be a statement Aria made that talks about the relationship they had when he was her teacher and she was underage. Or something to that effect. If so, then there most definitely is a statute of limitations. It would still be in effect and Ezra could face jail time or at the very least a public shaming. However, didn’t her parents know of their relationship? They may not of approved but didn’t they allow it? So, if Aria or her parents never pressed charges and won’t then there’s nothing to prosecute. There must be something else in that document that Ezra did or Aria said he did but I can’t think of anything. Either the PLL’s writers didn’t do much research or my very limited understanding of the law (which mostly comes from a lifetime of watching all the Law and Orders) is even more limited than I thought. When was she angry enough to make this statement? After they found out about the book? Has there been anything else revealed about it that I forgot? Maybe I’m just way overthinking this.

• Yes her parents knew in s2 after they told them.Byron was against it but Ella was more tolerant /supportive of it.If I rember tight,it got out about Ezria and he was fired from RH and went to teach at Hollis & tutored and later returned to RH.Byron tried getting him to take a job away from Rosewood but he wouldn’t.

• Justice Snob says:

In Pennsylvanian the statute of limitations for statutory rape is 12 years AFTER the victim turns 18. So Ezra could face charges until Aria turns 30.

• stevie says:

I think the game changer was when she found out he targeted her, for the sake of the book. And in lieu of that had a relationship with her. In other words, maybe statutory maybe out, but with a good lawyer, (like peter) she could declare rape.

12. chloe says:

I think all the stuff in Mona’s apartment is a red herring. I think it just shows that she’s the one who has been protecting those 5 for a very long time now. The shovels….I think she’s just a few steps ahead of Marco and covering/protecting the girls.

13. Abbey foley says:

Where is Toby? I know his lady died etc, but have these girls become so self obsessed they forgot him?! Or is Toby A.D? His sister may have been trying to stop him!

Mona isn’t. She’s either trying to help or just so obsessed with a liar, she’s trying too hard.

I think it’s Emily.she’s been the least affected. She loves Ali so the baby thing is just what she wants, not a punishment. She’s punishing the other girls for their treatment of Ali. Maybe she wasn’t waiting on Mona! Maybe she’d just come out of her apartment!

I loved the jailhouse rock scene!

14. KP MOM says:

I’m pretty sure the Mona’s apartment thing was supposed to make us think she’s working with or is AD, but I’d put all my money on her just having all that stuff to help figure out who AD is and what his/her next move is. She’ll probably be the one to break the whole thing wide-open in the end and save the girls butts again. The Spencer has a twin theory makes sense because of that scene at the airport with Wes. There was no way that was Spencer. So is Twincer AD and what is Wes’ role in this whole thing?

15. I love Mona and then I hate her. I honestly don’t know what to think.

16. Tiffany says:

Maybe Mona is working with the feds.

17. Paula says:

I’m really enjoying this final season of PLL and I only wish the show could have continued for another few years. My favorite couples have always been Ezria and Haleb. Toby is too nice (and thus boring) but Spencer and Marco could have been on fire romantically. Very disappointed by how their relationship has become so adversarial. I adored Paige but she was much too good for Emily. I’ve stopped caring about Emily once she became entangled with detestable Allison! We need to see Byron, Ella, Mike, Jason and Jenna again by the series finale. And Mona? She is absolutely wonderful to continually help these ungrateful friends who have never truly appreciated Mona’s wit, intelligence and loyalty! I hope she gets a happy ending.

• stevie says:

I know for a fact the Byron, Ella and Jenna are all in the finale. No sign of Jason again though. Although I hope so.

18. Disappointed says:

I just want to find somewhere, online, to “non-problematically” (lol) watch the episodes I missed during this season! A good site that DOES NOT require having to sign in with a “cable TV provider online ID”, or have to pay to watch it!! :-(
    A few years ago, I SIMPLY pulled up the ABC Family site and watched missed episodes with NONE of the current hassles…..