James DePaiva General Hospital

General Hospital Adds OLTL Veteran James DePaiva in Mystery Role

Another One Life to Live cast member is scrubbing into General Hospital.

The ABC soap is adding daytime veteran James DePaiva to the cast, according to a video the show tweeted out on Tuesday:

The tweet teases DePaiva’s role as “TOP SECRET,” so no details yet on who the actor might be playing.

RELATED General Hospital Vet Peter Hansen, Played Lee Baldwin, Dead at 95

DePaiva is best known to soap fans for playing Max Holden on One Life to Live, where he was a cast member from 1987 to 2003, returning for the soap’s 10,000th episode in 2007. He’s just the latest OLTL alum to make the trip from Llanview to Port Charles since the New York-based ABC sudser faded to black back in 2012. General Hospital is the only daytime soap still airing on ABC, following the demise of OLTL and All My Children.

And he’s not the only one in the family going back to work: DePaiva’s wife and fellow OLTL alum Kassie just announced she’s returning to Days of Our Lives following a battle with leukemia.

Are you excited to have James DePaiva on General Hospital? Or is the cast full enough as it is? Sound off in the comments, soap fans.

1. Jules says:

He’s awesome. I’m betting he’s some spy in Valentin’s storyline.

• JMark (formerly JM) says:

Yes, that would be great. But I’m not sure how permanent that role would be, and I would like him to stay. I don’t want another ‘guest’ role like Nora/Hillary’s was.

2. mike says:

Max Holden?

3. Dr. Opossum says:

A bit young for the role, but could he be Jeff Webber, Liz and Hayden’s father?

• grazelled says:

Agree about the age but that ‘s the first thing that came to mind, Jeff Webber.

• PG says:

That’s what my first thought was as well.

• Juke says:

He’s 59. That’s plenty old enough for what they wanted.

• Carolyn says:

Rebecca Budig (Hayden) is coming up on 44, and they have her playing the younger sister, which has been hilarious to me from the get-go. Passing Jimmy DePaiva off as their dad would be an hilarious stretch.

• Hannah says:

Idk soaps do it all the time. On DOOL, the last guy to play Will Horton is 31, but Ali Sweeney, who plays his mom Sami is 40. And within that family, they have 5 generations alive (now that Will is coming back) – so Caroline Brady is a great-great-grandmother, and the actress isn’t even 90 yet.

4. jr. says:

Stephan or Nickolas, or maybe a reboot of Jax’s brother Jerry?

5. Christian says:

Second guess here for Jeff Webber. They were never going to cast an age appropriate actor in the role.

6. Kevin Tran says:

Another OLTL vet is joining GH. Still wondering about what really happened to Nikolas Cassadine since we last him nearly a year ago after he took the bullet from his “brother” Valentin.

7. Nicole says:

Dr. Webber Elizabeth and Haydens dad

8. Philip says:

Is Kassie going to come back permanently to DOOL or is it just a guest stint?

9. Kande Merriman says:

I’m so happy he is coming to General Hospital! I think he will be the plastic surgeon that will be working on Ava.

• Miriam says:

Ah!!! I totally think you are right, Kande. I hope so.
      Will be fun to see him again. I LOVED OLTL for decades!

10. doris says:

I think he will make a good addition to General Hospital. I loved him as Max Holden and I am sure I will continue to enjoy him on here

11. Lydia says:

Love Max!!! He is awesome!!
    Keep bringing back AMC & OLTL alumni!!💕

12. Karen Teal says:

Love having him jointing G.H., he played wonderfully on O.L.T.L., way to go GENERAL HOSPITAL !

13. Donna says:

Jeff Webber, I’d bet. Great casting if true

14. If you could somehow bring the Buchanon’s from Llanveiw to Port Charles this would really spice up the show. A lot of different story lines could be written. Please contact consider it.

15. Tomm Huntre says:

How about new Patrick Drake???? The original isn’t returning.

16. Dorothy Cruz says:

Happy, we love him. Thanks for bringing him back. Ya Ya Ya. That’s what I ‘m talking about. Now bring back Steven Burton as Jason. Yes Yes.

• Mary says:

No, I like Billy and the way they are writing Jason’s character.

• KerryAnn Lewis says:

No I’m tired of them doing that to actors. They chose to leave then the replacement gets in for a few years and they lose out cause the old one wants back in. No way! Too bad.

17. Katy DAndrea says:

That’s great to hear he’s a wonderful actor and his Wife is a wonderful actress

18. KATIE DUNN says:

Yes glad to see him back on screen I always loved his acting

19. Patti says:

Awesome! Can’t wait! Always liked him on OLTL!

20. sheryl says:

Rename the show ‘Kitchen Sink” because until GH returns to a normal show with actual stories, I’m not putting this back on the DVR. Hopefully this is Liz’s father, at least that would make sense.

Now Olivia jerome was fun but the story was lame. If Olivia returned with a good story, then I’d watch!

21. Darra Moore says:

So glad to have him back on the soaps. He was fantastic on OLTL.

22. KerryAnn Lewis says:

Yes I think he’ll stir things up. Miss all my old soap people on OLTL and AMC.

23. General Hospital must stop playing their rolls over and over again this Carly and Sonny thing is gotten old Julian and Alexis that will never be Alexis is a lawyer and she shouldn’t be with a Criminal even Carty maybe you guys should start trying to put two criminal women one for Julian and one for Sonny also Nicholas need to be who he used to be and not a bad guy because it doesn’t fit his character we have enough bad people with Sonny and Julian and Scott Baldwin we don’t need no more make this year a better year for General Hospital

24. Snoopyman says:

No. Not really. OLTL was a good show,but there are so may good people from ATWT, AMC, and even GL that should be considered. Jill Larsen, Kim Zimmer, Jon Hensley, Jerry VerDorn to name a few.

I am excited about Jennifer Bassey joining GH, hope it’s longtime and really utilizes her talents for a long time.

25. AJ says:

GH already has a full canvas! It would be awkward to have him portray Jeff Webber as Jeff and Monica were once married and James DePaiva and Leslie Charleson are not that close in age.

26. AJ says:

GH already has a full canvas! It would be awkward to have him portray Jeff Webber as Jeff and Monica were once married and James DePaiva and Leslie Charleson are not close in age.

• Juke says:

Ned and Monica were also involved and they’re not that close in age, either. Plus Laura was Jeff’s niece (by marriage) but Liz’s mother-in-law, and she was married to Luke, who was later married to Tracy, who should be Laura’s mother’s age. The soaps always mess around with ages and who’s in what generation.

27. Laura says:

Ooooo…wouldn’t that be grand!
    A New love interest for Carly…

28. Annette Burns says:

Yes, be glad to see him on GH he is a good actor.

29. David says:

OMG! Max! I was just wondering how he was doing. It’s great to see him!

30. Jennifer says:

Very excited for them both, I watch both soaps, hope Cassie stay longer this time on days, and find love.

31. Sharon teer says:

no I am not

32. sheryl says:

Adding to the cast implies contract, is that true here? Otherwise should be worded as either recurring, guest or for an arc right?

So does this mean he’s hired on contract to GH?

33. jp says:

When I read about his wife I thought they should pick her up on GH and her husband too. Maybe I am psychic! Now they just need to nab her!

34. KP MOM says:

Jeff Webber

35. Tracy84 says:

Am I the only one hoping they may be bringing back the long dropped story of Nathan’s father’s identity? I could see him being Nathan’s dad. The only wrinkle is that it’s been pretty well established that Nathan’s dad is a bad man and it would be weird to see him play a bad guy. I could also see him as Jeff Webber too. I’m just hoping they finally reveal Nathan’s daddy. Lol.

36. Debra Adkins Luther says:

Cast is full enough. Leave it alone.

37. Jimmy says:

This is exciting news, just like Jennifer Bassey’s hiring was. As for who he’ll play, I hope it’s not another crossover because I think it would be more interesting to see him play Jeff Webber, or a surgeon brought in to work on Ava. I’m unfamiliar with his work on OLTL but I’ve heard plenty of good things, so I’m willing to give him a chance.

But what I would REALLY like to see is Vincent Irizzary bring David Hayward to GH. The story possibilities there are endless! He could resurrect Project Orpheus and bring back several fan-favourites from the dead, like Emily, Nikolas, A.J., etc. Plus, his past with Anna would play a key role in the story, and Vincent is an extremely talented actor that has just become available after his horrific run on DAYS. Make it happen, GH!

38. cruzinpc says:

There are too many women on the show and not nearly the amount of men needed. He will be a welcomed character. Sonny can’t have all the women, even though he is the main ” baby daddy” .

39. K says:

Omg I love him and do sorry to her about his wonderful wife I pray she is well

40. Dorothy C Binsbacher says:

I miss oltl so I’m happy

41. washcutt says:

For us who watched “ALL” of ABC’s line up back in the day, this is great to see some of our favorites from these shows. Don’t care who he plays as long as the storyline is good and keeps me from fast forwarding. Glad ABC is giving them jobs on their network.

42. Chris says:

Its all in the first sentence Top Secret . He is either involved with Anna and WSB OR with Valentin helping to keep Nicolas, safely hidden and off the radar. many people believe Valentin and Nik devised a plan to help Nik stay away from the police and Ava is the. Only one that knows besides DePavia

43. Eileen says:

I can’t wait to see him again. I hope they give him a good role

44. Verlette says:

Maybe Morgan’s not dead, after all.

45. Kathleen Wilson says:

I’m super excited. I loved him on One life to live as Max. Can’t wait.

46. Would rather see GH alum Ian Buchanan back as Duke. I liked Max Holden/James Depaiva but would rather see GH take care of its own first. Duke/Anna. Robert/Holly. Those are the stories I would watch.

47. Tami J Frerichs says:

James is going to make a wonderful addition to General Hospital!! Loved him as Max forever on One Life To Live and hope this new character has a bit of the con man still in him!! Please bring Blair and Nora and Bo to GH too!!! Nora, Alexis and Diane could open their own firm!! Bo could give Jordan a run for her money and the interaction between Blair and Carly was fantastic to watch!!

48. Connie says:

Super excited, I just hope he stays!

49. So where and what will Bill Miller’s role be? Or will he remain Jason.