Fall TV Preview
Legends of Tomorrow Tala Ashe

Legends of Tomorrow Casts Role of Muslim Hacktivist From the Future — Plus, Caity Lotz Teases Season 3

DC’s Legends of Tomorrow has filled Rip Hunter’s vacated seat aboard the Waverider with a new series regular.

Tala Ashe (Smash, As the World Turns) has joined the cast of the CW drama as Zari Adrianna Tomaz, a Muslim-American computer nerd with a wry, combative attitude who hails from the year 2030.

According to the character description, “Zari lives in a world of contradictions. Technology has brought about incredible change in her future — too bad human nature hasn’t kept pace. Fear, prejudice, and a lack of care for the planet have forced Zari to become a ‘grey hat hacktivist.'”

As Zari lives her double life, she has no idea that she possesses secret, latent powers derived from an ancient, mystical source. (In DC Comics lore, Adrianna Tomaz was an Egyptian who inherited special abilities via the Amulet of Isis and then became known as the superhero “Oh-Mighty-Isis!”)

Legends of Tomorrow returns for Season 3 this fall, airing Tuesdays at 9/8c after The Flash. In the red-carpet video below, Caity Lotz teases a bit more of what to expect from “Captain” Sara Lance & Co.:

1. Lucy says:

I hope she’s good. LoT has a problem with their female characters – only seeming to put the effort in Sara.

I don’t like the direction they are taking Rip. Even though he is not a Captain anymore, he is still the person with the most experience and knowledge of the Waverider and Time Travel, so he could have still have a role in piloting the ship.

I understand why Rip was absent, because Arthur was filming Broadchurch but I don’t like what seems to be even more of a decreased role. It sounds more like a recurring role than a regular role.

2. Jake says:

I am going to miss Vixen. One of my favorite DC heroes.

3. T.W.S.S. says:

No familiar at all with DC’s Isis character, so looking forward to this (and the cheap laugh of an Iris/Isis name confusion).

4. jason says:

I hope she’s not a bubbly Felicity type..people attached to computers can be more than just comic relief .

5. Riana says:

I wonder if she’ll be Sara’s love interest.

6. BarryFlash says:

I want a Jewish-American character and a Christian-American character.

• KatsMom says:

Professor Stein is Jewish. I believe they’ve talked about how he even participated in rabbinical studies at the urging of one of his parents. Also in the Arrowverse is, of course, Felicity Smoak who frequently references her Jewish faith as well. Several of the other characters have participated in Christmas celebrations, indicating adherence to some form of Christianity. So, in short, they’ve already represented those faiths, much more so than the second largest faith in the world.

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

+150 TVLine Power User points (no cash value)

• BarryFlash says:

It says a Muslim-American at least in the above write-up. If that is the official studio write-up, I don’t think they called Stein a Jewish-American when he was brought onto the Flash or Legends. I wouldn’t call his character religious either. I don’t watch Arrow very often…can’t comment on Felicity. As for the Legends celebrating Christmas or team Flash, again, I wouldn’t call any of them religious and none advertised as Christian-Americans. As for the rest of the new character’s attributes, seems like they are adding another Lefty character.

• Matt gave you the points, so I’ll just give you a high-five. Thank you.

• Jen says:

I’d be interested in seeing more non-Americans, personally. For a team saving the world (and all of time) on a regular basis, you’d think more of the Legends could hail from other parts of it.

7. Joey Padron says:

Good first casting for season 3. Hope she will be good on the show. Looking forward to read other new characters they will add for next season & also new big bad villain for season 3. Legion of Doom were great big bad villains for season 2.

8. Lucy says:

I’d like to see them have an alien as a team member, I know it might sound stupid but I suppose it depends on what they have established about time and space – you don’t want to go too space-y. But I do agree with a few that it would be nice to see some non-Americans, simply just saying that they are not from America doesn’t work, have the accents as well.

9. Look. I read the books. I get who Isis is and like the character. But is it REALLY smart to have a Muslim hero named Isis right now? I mean, there are other names they could use. This just seems like their begging for controversy and backlash. And if Isis is there could this mean Black Adam could show up? But more importantly can Sara have that hair color next season?

• Matt Webb Mitovich says:

No one is saying she will be called Isis; merely some background on character lore.

• drb999 says:

They usually use the characters names instead of their hero names on LoT so it’s not that big of a deal.

10. DCTV female computer nerd/ . Must wear glasses, even in 2030.

11. I’m looking forward to seeing this character developed on the show. The version of Isis that showed up in the “52” comic was a compelling character, though this isn’t her … unless they want to dip into the “resurrected Egyptians” well again this soon after the Hawks, which I doubt.

Clinging to my theory from back in this spring that this season’s Big Bad is the setting itself: A variation on the old DC “weird war” featuring The War That Time Forgot, which traditionally put American and occasionally other soldiers, starting circa WWII, on a strange island with dinosaurs, cavemen, and aliens from the future.

Where did the Waverider crash on its way to Aruba? Was it Los Angeles? Let’s say it was. I don’t think it’s the Los Angeles of 2017-18 — so don’t look for the other shows to reference time breaking on earth in their timeline — but maybe of 2030. Well, partly from 2030. I bet the Los Angeles (or wherever) of Jonah Hex’s time will intercept with this as well, and we’ll see him face down with a T-Rex or Velociraptor or something … we might see Ray Palmer’s old dinosaur frenemy again … potentially even Stargirl or one of the other time-lost JSA members … and my personal wish would be to have Kamandi and the Legion of Super-Heroes’ founders put in appearances. (I figure they’re saving the Legion for SUPERGIRL, but a guy can dream, right?)

Sara Lance, Mick Rory, and the telepathic Saturn Girl … just sayin’, the awkward comedic potential there is practically limitless.

12. I am really excited for the new character, hope to see her bond with White Canary and Vixen, I want more female friendships and team ups, also I hope they give her stories and development and we see who she is as a person, I am still waiting to find out more about Amaya, and I am still waiting to see the Canary origin story, so hope they bring Nyssa on Legends for some time travel or flashback. And I can’t wait to see Zari’s special powers.

13. dean says:

Wouldn’t it be shirk for a Muslim to have an amulet of a pagan goddess?

14. Giga says:

Oh my gosh, I loved the Isis comic books so much as a little kid. It totally broke my heart when there was a terrorist group going by that name! I hope they reclaim it although I guess there isn’t much hope of that.