Sister, Sister: Tia and Tamera Mowry Prepping Sitcom Revival

Is the world ready for more sibling synchronicity?

In a new interview, Tia Mowry confirms that she and sister Tamera Mowry are attempting to revive Sister, Sister. Unfortunately for the twinning stars of the ‘1990s sitcom, the effort is proving to be something of a struggle.

“We’re looking, right now, for a producer and a writer, someone who can kind of be a leader of the pack in regards to running the show,” Mowry tells Nylon. “I thought people would kind of be jumping on it, but it’s a lot harder than my sister and I thought it would be.

“We’re moving forward, we’re taking those strides,” she continues. “They’re slow strides, but we’re pushing as hard as we can to make people happy and make our fans happy.”

For those unfamiliar with the ABC-turned-WB sitcom, Sister, Sister was essentially TV’s answer to The Parent Trap. The Mowry sisters starred as Tia Landry and Tamera Campbell, adopted twins separated at birth who were reunited as teenagers during a chance encounter at a shopping mall. After finding each other, Tia and her mother, Lisa (227‘s Jackée Harry), moved in with Tamera and her father, Ray (WKRP in Cincinnati‘s Tim Reid), becoming one big happy family.

Sister, Sister began as a midseason replacement on ABC in 1994, before ultimately being cancelled after Season 2 due to low ratings. The now-defunct WB network, still in its infancy, then picked up the struggling sitcom, where it ran for an additional four seasons before ending in 1999.

Both of the Mowry twins have kept busy in recent years. In addition to starring on the CW-turned-BET sitcom The Game, Tia has hosted her own Cooking Channel series, Tia Mowry at Home, since 2015. Tamera, meanwhile, has served as a panelist on daytime gabfest The Real since it first debuted in 2013.

Would you be up for more Sister, Sister, or have you had enough ’90s sitcom revivals to last a lifetime?

1. Brandon says:

I am so pumped. Love that show!

2. Shannon says:

Yes!!! This has to happen!

3. GregJ. says:

I would live to see it revived.

4. Cassie says:

While this was one of my favorites growing up (far more than Full House)… I’m done with revivals.

5. Linda says:

I watch reruns of this show on Fuse so I’d definitely watch a revival.

6. virginia says:

I would love to see all them back together again. I love seeing them when their were young and I know I will enjoy them all grown up. I still follow them now on the real and the food show. Love it.

7. flowerduh says:

LET SLEEPING DOGS LYE!!! I am so tired of refurbished shows! There is a reason why the have series finales! WE’VE GOT TO QUIT BEATING DEAD HORSES! Find a new way to present a new show! But let’s stop taking 80’s and 90’s show and bringing them back to life! Man!!!

• Pure says:

Flower no one is putting a gun to your head to watch this.

Lots of viewers are becoming fed-up with Hollywood’s fascination with shows based on nihilism and misanthropy – aka, “Life has no meaning and people suck!”

Many viewers want comfort-viewing shows, whether that’s new ones like This Is Us or revivals of older ones like Sister, Sister.

There’s plenty of other shows for you to watch, so calm down.

• flowerduh says:

That’s not the problem. The problem is the creativity in Hollywood. This is Us is a great show! Love it. But should we be looking back to old shows for new entertainment. That’s what tvl is for. I think that Hollywood jumps the gun with the new shows that haven’t proved their worth. Case and Pointment Doubt. It only had 2 or 3 episodes and it was cancelled; but they are willing to revive Roseanne. I like RoseAnne but again…..let it die!

• Pure says:

Okay but the only thing we viewers can do is watch the shows we enjoy – for however long they last – and ignore the rest. The great thing today is we’ve never had more choice or options. Focus on the positive – and don’t bother trying to figure out how Hollywood makes its decisions…it’ll only drive you crazy.

• Ronnie says:

Go home, Roger!

• chris says:

I’m with you on this. I’d really prefer to see a fresh new show, with a vibe similar to the nostalgia people are looking for from shows like this. I honestly enjoy the Full House reboot, but adding new seasons to shows like Prison Break has left me frustrated with TV. I’m at the point where my want of reboots of old shows have left me wishing for something new and fresh.

8. Tom says:

Oh for frak’s sake, ANOTHER revival? I’m sorry, but the only revivals I’m interested in are Firefly, Buffy, Chuck, Veronica Mars, or Pushing Daisies. REVIVALS. Not reboots. Pick up where you left off. Same characters, same actors.

9. Jared says:

I was just watching reruns of Sister Sister the other night. Needless to say I’m down for a reboot!

10. Guy says:

Only if they get Jackée Harry to come back. She was pretty much the best thing about that show.

11. Lisa S. Jones says:

I would like to see a revival of the sitcom. I love Tia and Tamara they have very positive energy, and they are so talented. Bring it back. Pray that they will find producers.

12. Ange says:

Still can’t find any original ideas. Enough revivals.

13. Kay says:

Well if this happens at least one of them needs to be with poor Roger!

14. LizWebberFan says:

I hope they get their brother Tahj involved with the revival. Since Baby Daddy was just cancelled he could use a new job.

15. Faye says:

I would love to see them again

16. Cindy says:

I loved their show back then and watch them now as grownups. I can see it now with them having teenagers or twins of their own. Yvette Nicole Brown as their next door neighbor and JB Smoove as her husband. They each have their own twins one with girls, one with boys and cast them with husbands that stay home and watch them with casting someone that is just as funny as their nosy mother-in-law.

17. TV Fanatic says:

I’d love a reboot! Netflix should make it happen as it would be a great companion for Fuller House!

18. Jess says:

I’d love for this show to come back. I loved the show

19. T.W.S.S. says:

I won’t be watching, but I now have so many questions about the original. Did the mom and dad end up together? Did the twins ever find their birth parents? What happened to the actor who played Roger? To the Google!

20. abbidon says:

Love this idea! Hopefully Netflix can make it happen! Fuller House is the best reboot I’ve seen maybe they can get some help from that crew. Jackee was on their reality show so I’m sure she’d be up for it…I hope. This is great!

21. Iakovos says:

Sigh.

22. Jerrell Jones says:

I would Love to See a reboot of Sister Sister! I’ve always loved the show, and have grew up watching them. I always watch the reruns whenever they air. It would be delightful to see! 😊

23. By all means, bring back the shows cancelled for low ratings!!

24. keiva turner says:

I love it! I need it! I miss it! Bring it back!!!!

25. The Sister Sister 2 Reboot Will be the best show ever.Showed.

26. Marques Houston he v

ery funny😃

27. Vincent Harris says:

LET’s see them again Okay!!!😃

28. Mauques Houston and Tia , Tiamera like Brother and Sisthers 😃

29. Tia and Tamera great actors

30. Tia , Tiamera are great actors. 😃

31. 😃Jordon,Teyeek there great!!!

32. Jackie Harrey I Iike the how she talks.

33. Out with in with the New.😃

34. Just say were back on and channel you be on and say you got a studio 😃

35. Ashley Gaskins says:

I love tia and tamera so yesss im so ready for a come back

36. Ashley Gaskins says:

I love tia and tamera i grew up on watching this show so yes im down for a reboot of sister,sister please please please bring it back

37. Keke says:

I would LOVE to see the show come back!!! I love the twins!!! Wouldn’t mess a episode!!!

38. Krystle Watkins says:

I grew up on sister sister would love to see more 😘