Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 12

Nashville Recap: The Beat Goes On

Need to catch up? Check out the previous Nashville recap here.

Now that Nashville‘s Rayna Jaymes is buried under (too soon?), her friends and loved ones have to learn how to move on. But as the midseason premiere demonstrates, that’s far more easily said than done — or sung.

Daphne, in particular, finds herself adrift after her mother’s unexpected death, and Deacon has no clue how to help her. The widower is equally in over his head at Highway 65, where Zach is throwing around start-up buzzwords and suggesting the sacking of loyal, longtime staff members

And then we find out who Scarlett’s baby daddy is.

Read on for the highlights of the midseason premiere, “Back in the Saddle Again.”

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 12A BLESSED BUST | Ten weeks after the events of the midseason finale, Juliette gathers Hallie and other members of the Mountain Rose Baptist Church choir for a party celebrating the release of her gospel album. But the reviews aren’t good — they call Ju’s passion project everything from a “treacly mess” to “culturally tone deaf” — and Juliette smarts from the harsh criticism. Avery maintains that if she’s happy with the work, she should be content. Silly Avery! Have you never met your wife/ex-wife/whatever she is now?

So Juliette chooses to channel her frustration about her own album into consulting on Maddie’s — specifically, the first single. But when she suggests a few changes about the hook, Maddie acts like Juliette kicked her puppy up and down the avenue. She records the song both ways (hers and Ju’s) then makes Clay take a blind listening test to say which one is better. Of course he picks Juliette’s, but then advises that Maddie follow her heart. There’s a whole lot more of Maddie being rather precious about her art — kid, you’re 17, and a major recording star is giving you her expertise for free because she likes you and she loved your mama, so how about we hush up a little, ‘kay? — but she eventually realizes that Juliette’s version is the right way to go. (P.S. It IS.)

Nashville Recap Season 5 Episode 12DAPHNE’S TURN TO BE THE PROBLEM | Daphne’s in danger of failing history and having to repeat seventh grade, a situation Deacon wasn’t aware of but is determined to reverse. So he helps her with a big school project, creating a model of Amelia Earhart’s plane, but a kid accidentally knocks it out of her hands before class and the thing busts into a jillion pieces. (Side note: That’s some shoddy craftsmanship, Deke.) So she ditches school and winds up hanging out with a homeless girl who lives with other runaway types in an abandoned building. The new girl, Liv, and Daphne bond over their shared love of Daria. (Side note: Aren’t they way too young to know that show? Or are the kids streaming it now? And could I write any other sentence that would make me sound as old as that last one did?)

When Daphne returns home, Deke and Maddie are relieved: The school had reported her missing, and with the whole stalker thing in the family’s recent past, they were understandably worried. But Daph is so despondently “whatever” about the whole thing that Deacon takes her to a counselor who’s got some news for him: Daphne’s not just grieving, she’s going through major depression triggered by Rayna’s death.

So after some forced joviality at home — and one truly silly dad joke — Deacon is able to get through to his younger daughter, if only a little. And when Maddie and Deke go to hug her, she doesn’t pull away.

TECH TALK | At work, Deacon is overwhelmed by Zach’s plans for the company (which isn’t turning a profit at the moment, btw). But then again, Zach is using words like “disruptor” and “mindshare” and suggesting that Bucky be put out to pasture, so it’s no wonder that an old-schooler like Deke is uninterested in pretty much everything the tech wunderkind has to say.

Oh, and Zach and Will are officially boyfriend and boyfriend, a status cemented by Zach’s enthusiastic appearance at Will’s concert.

YOU… ARE NOT THE FATHER! | So that leaves us with Scarlett, who’s able to shake off her pregnancy queasiness for a rollicking Exes show but who is generally hating life otherwise. Damien keeps calling and texting, but she’s ignoring him… at least until the paternity test Gunnar took comes back.

But when it does, it’s negative: Damien is the daddy. “It’s OK. It doesn’t matter. I still love you,” Gunny says as he hugs Scarlett close, and it takes me a full 30 seconds to remember exactly what their relationship deal is right now. (Answer: undefined.) Later on, Gunnar processes all of his emotions while Avery listens; Gunny had gotten used to the idea of having a family with Scarlett, and he’s having a hard time letting go. “Why can’t I just man up and get over it?” he laments, and if there’s a better summation of Gunnar’s entire existence, I haven’t heard it.

Avery suggests that his friend just “try again. Fail better.” And that sends Gunnar literally running to Scarlett’s place, where he pledges to love her imperfectly and wonders if they can try again to be together. She agrees, and then embrace, but she looks like the whole thing hurts her. Or maybe that’s just the constant acid reflux.

Now it’s your turn. What did you think of Nashville‘s return? Sound off in the comments!

1. Elaine says:

Didn’t watch it yet, but I am not excited. Nashville CMT is nothing of what they’ve promised.

2. Linda says:

No fan of the show liked to see Rayna die (or leave the show), but some of the storyline earlier in the season was just not good. Maddie hanging out with Deke, and their parents allowing it (yeah, right, as if). The lame healing story with Juliette, Scarlett sleeping with another man, Rayna’s sister and ex-husband coming back into the storyline, I mean, we are over them, you know? History! Hopefully, the writers will stop smoking the weed and get back to writing a good storyline instead of all this political correct crap and whatnot. Viewers are sick of it.

• Chris says:

“Smoking the weed” hahahaha

• Chad says:

Maddie is hanging out with “Deke” is she? Well Deacon is her father, so I guess that’s OK. Seriously, try learning the names of the characters before offering worthless opinions.

3. SeanP says:

It seems as if the writers are bound and determined to make the remaining cast of characters as unlikeable as they’ve made Maddie since last season. The female characters have been especially ill-used. Even the featured music was underwhelming this episode. Maddie’s single was particularly bad. I hope tonight’s episode isn’t representative of the remainder of the season.

4. ellajasper says:

Tonight’s show was not one of the better episodes. Glad to see Maddie acting more like an adult, but now we have to deal with Daphne. There was a little more music tonight, but there are WAY too many commercials. I realize they have to pay the bills, but there are a LOT of commercials, it’s hard to follow the story. It didn’t seem like they accomplished much.

5. Jason says:

I love the Daria reference, and in my opinion, it’s ripe for any new generation to discover. Like Buffy or MST3K or Freaks and Geeks, it’s always going to be relevant. I’ve been impressed with Nashville this season. Their current, less histrionic approach is what I’ve always wanted from the series. More than anything, it’s the only way that Rayna’s death can be handled in a way that truthful and not alienating to the audience.

6. JM says:

What the hell are the writers doing to Scarlett and Gunnar? He’s not the father? Seriously? This storyline was over before it even started. So dumb.

• Arien says:

It is RIDICULOUS. Especially after we had a similar storyline with Gunnar’s former girlfriend’s son which he thought was his but turned out to be his brother’s kid.
      I don’t get why the actors (and viewers) should still stick with, what is (and lets be honest, apart from the setting and the music, has always been) a mediocre soap opera.

• Elaine says:

Yeah! Also, there was Julliette baby storyline too. Unecessary to add another one. And why Gunnar wants to be with her? After what she did? I don’t understand. All I wanted was more music industry storylines and more music.

• Chrissy says:

I so agree with this!!!!! I used to be team Scunner (team Garlet? Team exes? What do we call them?), but I do NOT like what the writers have done with their relationship and with both of their characters.

• Mary Fallis says:

The nurse’s comment to Scarlett that the baby daddy test was almost totally reliable was a ginormous anvil that the results she got were wrong and Gunnar is the father.

7. Linda E Schroeder says:

I am disappointed to see all the criticism. Evidently Rayna was not able to commit to doing more shows (not the writer or producer fault). I think this episode branched into very likely areas; relative to Rayna’s passing away. Problems with the daughter’s were to be expected. Scarlett and Gunnar have always had an on and off relationship…and, we know she had such a physical attraction to the guy Rayna had working with them. He also had great attraction to her.
    If you wanted things to be perfect, well that just isn’t life!

8. steven says:

What was up with Maddie’s song? Where’s the country? This show is supposed to have COUNTRY music?!

9. ABG says:

This sounds so depressing. Not sure if I’ll catch up with this show.

10. Boiler says:

Great to have Nashville back. It’s a different show from last year but better. What Daphne going through is real. I guess if you hate it that much quit watching and bitching about it.

11. E. D. Boddy says:

Nobody is “too young” to know about something, unless you think only people alive in 1939 can know about “The Wizard of Oz” and “Gone w/the Wind.” No, she didn’t experience it in its original run, but so what? I bet she even knows about “I Love Lucy,” the Beatles, and Hank Williams Sr.

12. LK says:

Time for the whole Gunner and Scarlett thing to end… have them go away somewhere…. i’m so over them.

13. Jose says:

Haven’t seen the episode….But I honestly think the midseason was it for me.
    Rayna is gone…everyone is unlikable. Scarlett is having a randoms baby?! seriously? Nope. Enough Nashville for me.

Good luck guys hope you can still enjoy the series!!!!

14. Babs says:

I thought last night’s episode was good. When Daphne was acting like such a brat I thought here we go again. But her pain was understandable after losing her mom. I WAS hoping Gunner was the father – wish something would go his way.

15. Carla Krae says:

The timing doesn’t fit for Damien to be the daddy. Biology, Nashville, biology.

16. Carrie says:

I thought it was good i watched it twice and I’m gonna watch it again.What’s wrong with Maddie hanging out with Deacon that’s her daddy.I love all the episodes.

17. Hope Quinonez says:

Love this show so much!!! Best music and cast!!!

18. Linda says:

Is a different actor playing Clay? Looks different.

19. Bridget says:

I may be in the minority, but I am just happy to have the show continue. It is a soap opera so I will willingly follow it down whatever rabbit hole they want to send me. I love the actors and I have enjoyed all the music. I have it on a playlist from Amazon. Jonathan Jackson is one of my favorites and Charles Esten I have loved ever since watching him on the original Whose Line is It anyway.