Underground Cancelled After 2 Seasons

Plans for a third season of Underground have been derailed.

WGN American has cancelled the period drama after two seasons and 20 episodes, Tribune Media announced on Tuesday. Sony Pictures Television — the studio behind Underground — will attempt to find a new home for the series.

“Despite Underground being a terrific and important series, it no longer fits with our new direction and we have reached the difficult decision not to renew it for a third season,” said Tribune CEO Peter Kern in a statement. “We are tremendously proud of this landmark series that captured the zeitgeist and made an impact on television in a way never before seen on the medium… It is our hope that this remarkable show finds another home and continues its stories of courage, determination and freedom.”

The cancellation follows the demise of fellow WGN drama Outsiders and ahead of Tribune’s acquisition by Sinclair. “As WGN America evolves and broadens the scope and scale of its portfolio of series, we recently announced that resources will be reallocated to a new strategy to increase our relevance within the rapidly changing television landscape,” Kern explained. “This move is designed to deliver additional value for our advertising and distribution partners and offer viewers more original content across our air.”

Underground‘s second and final season concluded earlier this month.

1. Haz says:

I’m not suprised, I think this shows fate was sealed when Outsiders was cancelled. It would have made no sense to continue with just one original series.

• Marie58 says:

I had the same thought. Both shows are top quality, and just because some new guy at WGN doesn’t have a taste for scripted dramas he pulled the plug. What a shame.

• Flarg says:

Manhattan, Salem, Underground, Outsiders – they were all good quality shows. What a shame. I’d love to know whats going on at WGN that they’re ok with cancelling shows. Whats next on the docket.

2. APFW says:

Well, I have no reason to watch WGN as they cut all their original programming. This was an excellent and riveting TV show, a rare commodity on network television.

• Nita Montero says:

My sister told me about Underground. It was such an important series, excellent acting and comendable writing that we told our kids and grown grandkids. We did a group phone call from 4 states after each episode! We were all learning more about slavery and the Underground Railroad than 3 generations of public school education. I hadn’t watched WGN before and after they cancelled the best series I’ve seen in years, I don’t care to continue. We are more than disappointed.

3. Anne says:

Oh that’s a shame. Maybe OWN?

4. Ted says:

Wow…this just seems like a huge mistake on WGN’s part. Their most high-profile series, dealing with an important era in America’s history…nah, let’s just sweep it under the rug. Just terrible decision making, and in an era where shows like this are critical in light of the newly overt wave of hate sweeping all over the country.

I highly doubt whatever their new direction is will have a fraction of the impact that Underground had. Hopefully another company will recognize what they have and snap it up.

5. Carole Pucci says:

I am so disappointed that Underground has been cancelled after just two seasons. This story needed to be told.

6. DryHeat says:

Here’s to hoping that it does indeed find a new home!

7. Chris Spaulding says:

Cancelling Underground is a huge mistake. Never has a show been as well written and acted as this show. The content is something that America more than ever needs to see!

8. Robbee70 says:

It’s too bad. The Outsiders and Underground were bot very good. Another direction for them? We don’t need another “Reality” show, please.

9. Chace De La Vega says:

Considering the content of the series, I’m Surprised it made it pass the first season..true American history is usually not so vividly and frankly shown on TV…
    EXCELLENT series!! I do hope it gets pickup soon..

• Patrick says:

And their new corporate masters at Sinclair weren’t likely to be thrilled about the content of this one.

• Marcia says:

This series is apart of America history!! So your comment is simple stupid😫

• Terrell King says:

• Terrell King says:

This series showed a lot of history in a short time. This will be a great series to get on OWN with its original characters and writers.. Harriet Tubman, The Underground to freedom and the Caucasians that fought next to the negros are icons that should be celebrated, but sadly due to our historical shame in the US they haven’t been. The series has taught me and my black children of the moral dillema a slave would have over come to stay alive, never the less if you were free or not. WGN must have there own story to why this series can’t play on this station anymore.. Advice.. Hire him back or I smell a boycott!

10. Dominique says:

wow, WGN is on a roll, aren’t they? and not a good one.
    they had two excellent original shows and they cut them both in the span of a month. very disappointing. i hope they will find another network who will be worthy of such a stellar show, although i fear the worst since outsiders couldn’t find one either.

11. Brandon says:

Here’s to hoping one network’s stupid decision is another network’s amazing gain.

12. evababy says:

The corporate babble-speak is just too extra. When they cancelled The Outsiders supposedly the reason was: “We will be reallocating our resources to a more diverse programming strategy and to new structures, enabling us to expand both the quantity and breadth of content aired by WGN America.”

OK, So they had Salem (a show about witchcraft/ trials), Manhattan (a show about building the A-bomb), The Outsiders (a show about an outcast clan) and Underground (a historical Fiction show about slavery). All cancelled. And by all accounts did decently in ratings. So how do these shows not represent a diversity and breadth of content?

13. teeveenerd says:

I thought this show was doing well. It usually trended on Twitter. I was thinking about starting it, but I guess not now. Was also disappointed when they cancelled Manhattan, so I didn’t really see the point of watching any other original shows on WGN.

14. Erica says:

Please OWN bring it back

15. Love says:

Sounds like the CEO got threatened and decided to cut ties with the realist show on tv.

16. T.W.S.S. says:

I’ve been waiting for this news since the finale and expected them to announce a new home at the same time.

17. Mellie Mel says:

I hate they cancelled Underground. This is a HUGE mistake on their part. I pray another tv station picks up the story. Not only because it’s a story that being told in an amazing way with super fantastic actors and actresses but because it’s a history that should be told and never forgotten.

18. Tarscha Hobbs says:

Underground was the only reason I watched WGN…… you have made a horrible decision.

19. nerdrage says:

This show deserves to be saved by Netflix or Amazon and I don’t say that very often for a cancelled show.

20. Monique says:

OWN and BET have both reportedly passed on picking up the series

21. danoregon says:

Is it wrong to say I’m glad it was dumped (so it won’t make me feel guilty about watching Sinclair)? This will land somewhere. The key is the budget – it doesn’t seem like a show that can be produced cheaply. Hoping for AMC or OWN.

22. Dianna Thompson says:

I am sorely disappointed. I couIdn’t wait for the next episode. I am curious where WGN is headed and why this series will not fit in. The best show I’ve seen in two seasons.

23. Joey Padron says:

Hope the show will find a new home soon! It’s a great show!

24. toppergem says:

What a bummer. This was such a fabulous piece of storytelling. I am not at all please with the canceling of this series. The end of my viewing WGN.

25. Aeol says:

Translation – our network was purchased by a super-conservative media company that requires its holdings to broadcast conservative content only – to the end that one of their stations refused to cover a politician assaulting a journalist, on the eve of an election.
    I sincerely hope that Underground finds a network that deserves it, because it is remarkable art.

26. There have been so many quality shows cancelled. And what are we getting instead? “Reality” television. Can’t have people watching historically based dramas and maybe learning something. Can’t have the people thinking too deeply so here’s another dancing show for you! Try learning something new from that!

27. Kenyana Brown says:

Why this was a good show and it talked about the history of African Americans. Can the Chinese go back to China and let Sony be ran by Americans. This is heartbroken. Every time we as Americans get something good it’s snatched back like it never happened.

• Aeol says:

Purchased by super conservative media company. To give you an idea, Sinclair owns the Montana station that refused to cover Gianforte’s assault of a reporter, because they called it “fake news.” Wonder where they got that idea from…

28. Carol Robichaud says:

I think that stinks!This is a traffic show and hate to see it end. Please do your best to find a new home for this great show. Very sad!
    Carol Robichaud

29. ChunkMa says:

This is what happens when you’re bought by Sinclair group, they are further right than Fox News. They would never allow this show to be watched. Thanks to republicans easing up the law of what they can own, they now own something like 60% of local TV stations and their local news broadcasts…so get used to that Far Right spin.

• Dolores Beauchamp says:

Back to more book’s for me at almost 70yrs old I’ve seen this to many times already no surprise here.

30. mrmcgee says:

Saw this coming, but that “statement” from Kern is such corporate jibberish.

31. OMG NOOOO please someone pick it up it’s so good. Man no one wants to watch the good shows that’s why the good ones get booted not enough audience. Come on someone pick this and Outsiders up. I am not a happy camper right now….

32. GWENDOLYN SANDERS says:

Undergound was the only reason i watched WGN won’t be watching it anymore. Please OWN, BET, TV ONE, BOUNCE, or ASPIRE pick it up

33. Janine Richards says:

Best TV Acting I’ve seen in years. Content was intense, captivating, and well written. A true shame Underground has been cancelled. I pray OWN picks it up and blows it out the water even more.

34. Olivia says:

NOOOOOOOOO I Love Underground why would you do this to me. You have no heart, no soul. I am torn apart by your decision and sad. You should have talked to me first before canceling!

35. Brian says:

I was hoping Scalped would finally make it to series, but with with WGN looking to drop original programming that looks like ti isn’t going to happen unless another network picks it up.

36. TvPeong says:

Oh no… How unfortunate. I hope that CW or USA picks it up. They have shown commitment to their shows.

37. IHaveOptions says:

Well that was smart…..Not. I only paid and extra $20 a month particularly to have the channel WGN to watch Underground. Whoever the new owner is needs to do his/her research. I’m sure some other station would love to raise their ratings by adding Underground to their network.

• Aeol says:

The owner is Sinclair media, an ultra-right conservative company. They own the Montana affliate that refused to cover Gianforte’s assault of a reporter, calling it “fake news.” The CEO of WGN can spin it all they want, but a show about triumphant people of color is never going to be their priority. Underground deserved better than WGN even before Sinclair bought the network.

• Kim Jones says:

This makes me so sad. That part of history is so important. It sure isn’t taught in school but I’m a first grade teacher and I do teach about it. All the time not just in February. We must educate our children. This country was built by slaves!! I pray that another network picks this fabulous educational show.

38. kmw says:

WGN is the new stupid network, getting rid of its scripted programs all in favor of procedural re runs. Just idiotic

39. Curtlynn Christmas says:

I wish OWN would pick it up

40. arlene says:

This brilliant landmark show pulled by a cop-out media entity that I for one will make certain never ever to buy or watch or read anything it owns, publishes, etc, has behaved boorishly and predictably. Hopefully Netflix, HULU, or some other smart game-changing company will do the right thing and take us to the Emancipation Proclamation, then to the passage of the 13th Amendment.

41. Bill says:

Several years ago, WGB changed its strategy to include original programming. It had had 3 great quality series: Manhattan, Outsiders, and Underground. All cancelled for yet another new direction. Well, a pox on whatever this new direction is and I hope it fails

42. Kim says:

This is a huge disappointment. I heard WGN is going to become more like Fox News. If this is true, I will not be watching anything on this betwork again. I do not watch crap tv.

• Dolores Beauchamp says:

I can only watch Fox about 5min than I want to put my foot through my tv so to save injury and money I never watch,I’m SICK seeing so many Fox folks on my favorite news channel MSNBC .

43. Peter L says:

A simple google search turns up that the mentioned Peter Kern is making $200,000 a week. $200,000 a week. How much do you make a week?? That’s almost a MILLION BUCKS a month. And he said that Underground was too expensive.

44. Dee Queen says:

I hope that Underground finds a new home station asap.

45. Lydia Green says:

I am so sorry and pray that a cable station will pick Underground up, there so many other series or unnecessary drama movie that need to be taken off, but anything to education or have the interest to draw other to question, you want to take off. I am piss.

46. Donna says:

I thought I read that WGN will now only be showing previously viewed programming. Sorry but we can get that on other channels. Sounds like the end of WGN coming soon. I was very disappointed that Outsiders was not picked up by another network. Due to the content of Underground I am sure that it will be.

47. Ally Oop says:

Wow, first The Outsiders and now this. Underground was a top 15 series for me (when you watch over 50 shows in today’s peak TV world, top 15 is really good). Really disappointed with this decision. 4th top 20 show of mine (after Pitch, X Company and Orphan Black) not to get a season beyond 2017.

48. KLS says:

Disappointed about this. Didn’t even know about WGN until Salem, Outsiders, Underground debuted. I liked the diversity of their shows. Now, not sure I’ll even remember that there is/was a WGN at all.

49. Shamia says:

Why do they always cancel the good shows????!!!! #keepunderground

50. Elaine Clifton says:

First they cancel The Outsiders now the Underground what a big mistake you did WGN